• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Dixie unfortunately has to compete with the likes of K. Rool. Roster space is quite competetive - we could potentially get a roster of only 45, and it's 50 at best. We won't be getting 4 DK reps.
You mean K. Rool has to compete with the likes of Dixie Kong. K. Rool has no chance. He's not relevant anymore. He's not been in a game for 6 years.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You mean K. Rool has to compete with the likes of Dixie Kong. K. Rool has no chance. He's not relevant anymore. He's not been in a game for 6 years.
I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. Dixie has some fairly legitimate competition in K. Rool. Just because he hasn't appeared lately, doesn't mean he's completely out of the picture.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
the Ice Climbers were known for their impressive catalogue of games before the release of Melee

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's different. They were brought in as a retro addition. Like Little Mac for this game.
Yeah... The fact that Little Mac clearly draws so much from his Punch Out Wii game makes me question that idea a bit...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's different. They were brought in as a retro addition. Like Little Mac for this game.
Little Mac is a rebooted retro prior to Smash 4 so, while he does have retro connections, he shouldn't be considered the retro rep. Pit was brought in as a retro rep and was rebooted due to a smash - the first of his kind. The IC never received a reboot...just recognition. K. Rool could definitely use Smash as a boost back into games. K. Rool has a very good chance of appearing and I wouldn't knock him out so easily yet just be cause of the relevancy debate.

But this is Dixie Komg so let's refrain some letting K. Rool dominate the discussion, Kay?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Yeah let's get back to brainstorming new moves for her hair. Now I already mentioned that she could whip up whirlwinds by spinning it like a fan. But what if she could spin her hair behind her body, propelling her forward like Tails' does when he runs fast?

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Yeah let's get back to brainstorming new moves for her hair. Now I already mentioned that she could whip up whirlwinds by spinning it like a fan. But what if she could spin her hair behind her body, propelling her forward like Tails' does when he runs fast?
Yeah, I also said that she could use wind movements some pages back and could possibly create wind projectiles with her hair or do a sort of F.L.U.D.D. fan thing to propel people from coming back to the stage.

TheMysterious2634

Smash Cadet
Don't tell me this thread is dead. I'd love to see Dixie (a little more than K. Rool too). She's my favorite partner in DK Tropical Freeze.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Could I be added as a supporter for Dixie Kong? I really want her in, and after hearing she should have been in SSBB makes me want her in even more! I really thought she would be announced for February's Nintendo Direct, to be honest.

D

Deleted member

I support Dixie Kong. Her inclusion in Tropical Freeze made me warm up to the idea of her in Smash more.
Personally, I believe that both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong should be in Smash. They are both Nintendo All-Stars that deserve to be on the roster… it's just a shame that only one of them might make it in. I'm happy with either character getting on the roster, or better yet have both of them.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I like the support system in this thread. It tells you who is and who isn't supportive.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I have an idea for her trailer it starts with a CGI section with donkey, diddy, mario and luigi fighting on a tropical freeze stage, Mario and luigi knock out donkey and diddy back to back with their forward smashes and then they high five. Luigi points off screen saying "Um, Mario?" before they are both grabbed by dixie's hair and thrown off the stage, the camera pans to dixie and it says, Dixie Kong Swings into Battle, followed by her giggling and then a bunch of gameplay.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I was lurking around GameFAQs, and someone posted the supposed source on Sakurai's comments about Diddy and Dixie in Brawl:
http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/words2/dairantosmabrax/smashbrothersx.html

I know barely enough Japanese to be able to tell that the poster introduces themselves as Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of the Kirby series and Smash Bros. series, and that the entire page is a bunch of comments about Brawl's development. I found the paragraph where he talks about Diddy and Dixie, but I want to know if anyone can and is willing to actually translate it (not just quickly typing it into Google Translate). Here it is for your convenience:

実はディディーコングはディクシーコングとペアで出すつもりでした。タッチすることで2人を瞬時に入れ替え
るようなシステムを作って。でも色々と難しい部分があって早々とカットしました。ディディーコングを選んだのは
むしろ参戦していないのが不思議だと言われるくらい人気があったので。動きも面白いものができました。
これはモーションデザイナーの努力に尽きます。サルらしく、あちこちを駆け巡る様子がよく表現できてるし、
バナナのかわを投げて相手を転ばせるところなんて、小憎らしくていいでしょ?
 最後の切りふだのバレルジェットパニックの自由が利かないもどかしさは、『ドンキーコング64』でのバレル
ジェットの操作感を再現しました。『バンゲリングベイ』にも通じるものがあるかな(笑)

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Damnit. Double post. I need to stop hitting the Reply button when I edit.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
YES!
I FINALLY FOUND THE DIXIE THREAD!
I'VE FOUND ALL OF MY TOP TEN!
YESSS!
Looks as if this thread doesn't receive that much attention... let's try to change that. ;)
Let's get to page 20 by April!
Dixie Kong is by 5th most wanted newcomer!
That's why she's one of the 5 in my sig!

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. Dixie has some fairly legitimate competition in K. Rool. Just because he hasn't appeared lately, doesn't mean he's completely out of the picture.
He's not out of the picture, however, she was intended to be added over him back when he was relevant. And now his importance and connection to new generations of gamers is shrinking, and hers is growing. However, she's not new, she's been around for quite a while, Cranky too. Yet both Dixie and Cranky have been getting hyped up in the spotlight by Nintendo recently. K Rool would be extremely surprising after that.

K Rool fans are grasping for references of him where there clearly is none, and it's a bit pathetic. I think he's bound to be the villain of the next game. Especially because Tropical Freeze probably won't do that well. But Retro isn't doing another DK next. Most likely Metroid is next. I honestly think K Rool could have been added in Brawl easily, but now he has to wait till Smash 5.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why would Tropical Freeze not do well? I just bought the game 2 weeks ago and started playing it last week. My boyfriend and I like playing this game together. We both agree that the game is fun and challenging.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Looks as if this thread doesn't receive that much attention... let's try to change that. ;)
Let's get to page 20 by April!
Yeah, this thread is pretty quiet. Even back when everyone was talking about Diddy and Dixie being revealed in last month's Direct, there wasn't much conversation in here. This makes me a little sad, since she is my most wanted newcomer, but oh, well. I would contribute more, but I've already posted a moveset, and the mods don't like us discussing Tropical Freeze too much, since it's off topic. Regardless, welcome to the thread! Dixie can always use more love.

andimidna

Smash Master
Why would Tropical Freeze not do well? I just bought the game 2 weeks ago and started playing it last week. My boyfriend and I like playing this game together. We both agree that the game is fun and challenging.
The game is great, but its on a struggling system. I'm sure it will do great for Wii U standards though
Yeah, this thread is pretty quiet. Even back when everyone was talking about Diddy and Dixie being revealed in last month's Direct, there wasn't much conversation in here. This makes me a little sad, since she is my most wanted newcomer, but oh, well. I would contribute more, but I've already posted a moveset, and the mods don't like us discussing Tropical Freeze too much, since it's off topic. Regardless, welcome to the thread! Dixie can always use more love.
Yes! I think she's very likely!

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
I'm still liking Dixie's chances. It will be a crime if the DK franchise doesn't expand for this game. I think King K Rool would make a decent character, but I would be disappointed if he got in before Dixie. Dixie just has so much personality and is so fun to play as in any game she is in.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm still liking Dixie's chances. It will be a crime if the DK franchise doesn't expand for this game. I think King K Rool would make a decent character, but I would be disappointed if he got in before Dixie. Dixie just has so much personality and is so fun to play as in any game she is in.
I agree. While K. Rool is certainly the fan-favorite (just look at the K. Rool thread on this board), I just prefer Dixie. I've said this earlier in the thread, but DKC2 was definitely a huge part of my childhood, and I loved tearing through levels with Dixie's ponytail spin and feeling like a complete badass. Every time she shows up playable in a game, I have to pick her (her being playable in Tropical Freeze was the main selling point for me). I guess you can say that she is probably my favorite Nintendo character altogether. I support K. Rool as well (he definitely deserves a chance to shine again), but I can live without him if it means that I get Dixie. I'm not denying that K. Rool has much more moveset potential than Dixie and would make an awesome character in his own right; I just like Dixie more as a character and really want to see her playable in Smash Bros.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm going to flat-out say it because I feel like it:
I think Dixie is getting in because:
1. She has a slightly much easier build to make than K. Rool.
2. Has enough potential with her Bubblegu(m)n and her hair to be an acceptable and different Luigified clone.
3. Has the current spotlight thanks to Tropical Freeze, giving a noticable consideration for Sakurai.
Because of those reasons, (I honestly feel K. Rool would be a simple bonus in my eyes (Like Zoroark) unless they had more to work with and assuming that DK is only getting one newcomer) I feel like Dixie will get in over K. Rool.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Not when she has her unique hair and bubblegum. By slightly easier, I mean they can just copy and paste Diddy and her hair and eyelashes then decide what to do with the overall moveset. :p
Well you said slightly which indicates less and much which indicates more

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The game is great, but its on a struggling system. I'm sure it will do great for Wii U standards though

Yes! I think she's very likely!
If there is one thing I dislike about this game, it is that the first player is not allowed to play as other Kongs but Donkey Kong. It is the same problem I have with New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U. Other than that, the games are very good.

The reason I prefer Dixie over K. Rool is because I actually played as Dixie in DKC games so I have some ideas how I want Dixie to play in Smash. I tend to support characters who are actually playable in their games. The exception is Duck Hunt Dog but I worked around that by basing his moveset/playstyle on how Duck Hunt (the NES game) is played.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
If there is one thing I dislike about this game, it is that the first player is not allowed to play as other Kongs but Donkey Kong. It is the same problem I have with New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U. Other than that, the games are very good.
To be fair, ***SPOILERS FOR TROPICAL FREEZE: when you play Hard Mode, you are able to choose any Kong you want, but you have to 100% the game in order to unlock that, so you aren't playing any new levels. I agree with you, though. Since it is possible to solo the game with any Kong (except for 1 puzzle piece in the entire game that requires Cranky), I don't see why they don't let you do this normally. Throughout the main game, I had to play Multiplayer and constantly kill DK to solo the entire game with Dixie.*** END SPOILERS

But, anyway, to keep the discussion on Smash Bros, I don't care if she winds up being a Lucas-style semi-clone. I mained Roy in Melee, so I have no problem with clones. I just hope that Sakurai at least makes the distinction that she would be more aerial-based than Diddy and use her hair in her attacks.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I have no idea how to post spoiler tags, as I am noobish and didn't take the time to ask, so ***SPOILERS FOR TROPICAL FREEZE: To be fair, when you play Hard Mode, you are able to choose any Kong you want, but you have to 100% the game in order to unlock that, so you aren't playing any new levels. Since it is possible to solo the game with any Kong, I don't see why they don't let you do this normally. Throughout the main game, I had to play Multiplayer and constantly kill DK to solo the entire game with Dixie.*** END SPOILERS

But, anyway, to keep the discussion on Smash Bros, I don't care if she winds up being a Lucas-style semi-clone. I mained Roy in Melee, so I have no problem with clones. I just hope that Sakurai at least makes the distinction that she would be more aerial-based than Diddy and use her hair in her attacks.
That should have been included in the main game and since you only have 1 heart, it might aswell be impossible. Also just saying Dixie has a bubblegum gun which is awesome and if we don't see that in her moveset in smash I'll cry

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Neither had Dixie, until Tropical Freeze, which wasn't around when the roster was being made. They were both in the same game.

Your move.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Neither had Dixie, until Tropical Freeze, which wasn't around when the roster was being made. They were both in the same game.

Your move.
You don't know when the roster was finalized if it even is right now. I'm guessing that sakurai checks whats going on in each franchise before he chooses the character way before the game is revealed/released like rosalina who was announced only a month after she actually became important in the mario series with 3D World

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did have some thoughts on at least two of Dixie's specials...

up - Helicopter Twirl: Dixie spins her ponytail like a helicopter, giving her a decent vertical lift. Dixie can use this move up to three times, but once it's used a third time, Dixie will enter a semi-helpless state. Dixie needs to be careful when using this special move, since she has to touch ground to recharge its usage. If Dixie can't touch ground after using the Ponytail Propeller a third time, she can't use the move anymore, which could lead to her being inevitably KO'd if she ever gets edge-guarded.

down - Ponytail Slam: Dixie pounds the ground with her ponytail. However, unlike with the Hand Slap, this move offers much less knockback, and can only really push back opponents while dealing some damage. The Ponytail Slam has no effect against aerial opponents, and is incapable of making KOs (unless the opponent's handicap is set very low).

andimidna

Smash Master

Your move.
She was planned for Brawl when K Rool was part of the series.
He hasn't returned.
She has.

They are hyping up Dixie and Cranky, I see them in ads everywhere, they are marketing these 2 and the Snowmads.
Rosalina destroys your logic, like SonicGuy already said.

She could easily be just as unique as him, neither of them have an established gimmick that would be obviously implemented. Both just have unique moves, like Wii Fit Trainer.

Her popularity is actually increasing, whereas his is just staying the same.
When he was more popular than her around Brawl, she was considered.
Her popularity is starting to almost match his, it's certainly getting there. I have no doubts that on other sites her popularity already surpasses his.

Your move.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord

up - Helicopter Twirl: Dixie spins her ponytail like a helicopter, giving her a decent vertical lift. Dixie can use this move up to three times, but once it's used a third time, Dixie will enter a semi-helpless state. Dixie needs to be careful when using this special move, since she has to touch ground to recharge its usage. If Dixie can't touch ground after using the Ponytail Propeller a third time, she can't use the move anymore, which could lead to her being inevitably KO'd if she ever gets edge-guarded.

down - Ponytail Slam: Dixie pounds the ground with her ponytail. However, unlike with the Hand Slap, this move offers much less knockback, and can only really push back opponents while dealing some damage. The Ponytail Slam has no effect against aerial opponents, and is incapable of making KOs (unless the opponent's handicap is set very low).
I think the ponytail slam from tropical freeze should be her Down tilt. My idea for her Down b if her pulling out a juice box (based on her idle animation in DKC2) and squirting it on the ground kinda like diddy's bananas except it's bigger and makes them not trip and instead slip around
If you wanna check it out I made a full moveset for her that at least I think is pretty unique compared to most
Check it out here

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just wanted to post this here, because it's sort of something Dixie would do.

For context, I'm referring to the character Millia from Guilty Gear. Her playstyle is a fast paced offensive melee style with her attacks revolving around using her hair in varies ways. In a sense, I would want to see Dixie sort of the Super Smash Bros. equivalent to her. To get a sense of what I'm talking about, here's gameplay of her in action.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I was thinking that maybe the ponytail slam could be better suited as a Smash Down+A move if it is only useful on the ground.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I have an idea that could help liven up this thread for a bit, provided that Venus is cool with it. Since the K. Rool and Palutena threads have done roll calls for their supporters, why don't we do one for Dixie? From what I've seen, the number of Dixie supporters has definitely grown since the topic was created (myself included), and I only see 4 supporters in the OP. I feel it needs updating.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, I don't support Dixie per se, but I don't mind her and definitely think she will get in. We got "last minute clones or semi-clones" two games in a row, and I can not think of likelier semi-clone then Dixie, and I would be fine with her being Diddy's Wolf.

Top Bottom