• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Optimal Control Setup For Jigglypuff

Veril

Frame Savant
While it all comes down to personal preference how you set up your controls, their is an optimal setup in regards to economy of motion, and the use of wavelands, rest interrupts, sing-canceling, and DAC techniques.

This is what I am using and believe to be the best possible configuration.

The criteria were: minimal shifts in hand position, all techniques still possible, best setup for interrupts.

UNCHANGED

A set to Attacks

L set to shield: Your left pointer finger should always be positioned on this button, thus it is the best shield.

B set to Specials

C-stick set to smashes:
This is really necessary for aerial control and economy of motion in the air. It is simply easier to keep your hand on the a and c-sticks as opposed to moving to the a-button and shifting the a-stick to use retreating aerials. In addition b-sticking has little benefit to Jigglypuff. It is possible to wavebounce, b-reverse and turnaround without the b-stick, you just have to have the tech skill developed. I can do it, ergo, so can you.

Tap-jump ON: This maximizes economy of motion in the air, since you can keep your thumb on the c-stick while in the air. I like it because I think the motion is more fluid, but really, there is no TRUE and UNAVOIDABLE downside to tap-jump.

Z-set to grabs: This lets you DACUS as well as use the pivot boost-grab. It really isn't that hard to DACUS that you need to set this to attacks.

Y set to Jumps: Its easier to short-hop with Jump buttons that with the a-stick, also, its best for rising d-airs.

ALTERED CONTROLS

R set to specials
: This removes the need to shift your thumb off the c-stick while airborne. More importantly it is almost essential to have the most possible time to input SDI for interrupts. Not needing to shift to the b-button is really important and necessary to interrupt moves like Marth's forward-b (see Junk's comments in the Marth matchup discussion, this is my answer to that).

X-set to grab: On the ground you're using smash moves less so its easiest this way. Also, I find it makes pivot grabbing easier.

Again, I'm not saying you've gotta change your scheme. I've just adopted the R as special. That said I really think this is best.

Metatitan

Smash Master
my control setup:

c stick- smashes (dacus)
z- grab(dacus)
b is specials
a is attacks
L is shield
R is jump (for yoshi's egg toss slide i never use/need the R button for jiggs)
Y as jump (i dont use this button either)
X as jump (easy to slide my thumb from this to side A for fairs, i use c stick for bairs)

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I have what Veril said with the exception of tap jump off.
Well turn it on. It's a great option.

Veril, I use L for my sheild.

I figure that if my right side is going to attack, special, c-stick, jump, and grab, then my left side should do more than walk (DI) and taunt. I set R to attack to pivot walk easier. (for link and dk. not jiggs)

Consider some potential with L. Tell me if it's a good idea.
If not ill still use it :3

No one beleives my unbalanced controller theory. Verify this idea :chuckle:.

Good thread idea :).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Tap jump off is the best. It allows you to control aerial motion so much better. It also is great for DACUS cause you can dash diagonally and then just press C-down and A for everything to work out. Also, I've been thinking of getting the best of both worlds. Change the taunt stick to B sticking if possible. Can you make the D-pad a special pad?

Veril

Frame Savant
Veril, I use L for my sheild.
I meant to put L.

Tap jump off is the best. It allows you to control aerial motion so much better. It also is great for DACUS cause you can dash diagonally and then just press C-down and A for everything to work out.
I don't see how tap-jump off allows for more aerial control. I find just the opposite.

DACUS is easy regardless.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I meant to put L.

ME- Oh good lol. So what is R best put for?

I don't see how tap-jump off allows for more aerial control. I find just the opposite.

Me- My dacus is just fine with it on. When I fail a dacus, all that happens is a dash attack, d-smash, or a short dacus.
My reply was in the quote so um...
10char?

illinialex24

Smash Hero

For the second, yes. For the first, NO. if you are pressing up to jump, it is soo much harder to do nairs to punish opponents when they are close to you and also harder to control yourself in the air because you are pressing a direction before using a move. This is my major issue with the Wii-mote, the fact that you already have your finger on a direction when you jump making doing moves harder. I can understand if your MK and need to do that for rising uairs, but still jump with X.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
For the second, yes. For the first, NO. if you are pressing up to jump, it is soo much harder to do nairs to punish opponents when they are close to you and also harder to control yourself in the air because you are pressing a direction before using a move. This is my major issue with the Wii-mote, the fact that you already have your finger on a direction when you jump making doing moves harder. I can understand if your MK and need to do that for rising uairs, but still jump with X.
Tap jump is a good option. Don't take it off. You dont jump with it for a normal jump. It's fior better manuverability like SH u-airs, and it lets your SH OoS. It does not differ at all from a control setup without tap jump besides the fact that you can do all these other things.

And u-tilt can be easily done if you learn the timing. The move is not being abandoned.

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
For the second, yes. For the first, NO. if you are pressing up to jump, it is soo much harder to do nairs to punish opponents when they are close to you and also harder to control yourself in the air because you are pressing a direction before using a move.
I agree, I rarely use nair in my games because I usually end up doing a uair instead which is really annoying...which is why I'm going to start learning tap jump off. I can't think of anything that tap jump on does any better, except that it requires one less button to press.
EDIT: but that's just imo >_>;

PND

Smash Champion
I have:
TJ Off
L Attack
X Grab

I use L for my attacks for autocancelling aerials and DACUSing, for the most part I use A.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I have:
TJ Off
L Attack
X Grab

I use L for my attacks for autocancelling aerials and DACUSing, for the most part I use A.
For whatever character you auto cancel with, you don't need another button. I use tap jump for my auto cancels and it works great. It lets you DI left and right a little better too.

I want to know the bad things about tap jump before I turn it off. Im sure TJ is good for most characters.

And I also think "L" is the best option for sheild. If you don't use it, all you have to do to swith is train yourself to not use R for a few matches and you stick to the one side. Again, my balanced controller theory.

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
I can't even play with tap jump on as Jiggly. Using Y to jump is just so much easier to control for me. I couldn't really list the cons for you.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord

C-stick set to smashes:
This is really necessary for aerial control and economy of motion in the air. It is simply easier to keep your hand on the a and c-sticks as opposed to moving to the a-button and shifting the a-stick to use retreating aerials. In addition b-sticking has little benefit to Jigglypuff. It is possible to wavebounce, b-reverse and turnaround without the b-stick, you just have to have the tech skill developed. I can do it, ergo, so can you.
Whut. You state tech skill negates the need of a b-stick, then you turn around and say c-stick set to smashes make it easier.

I can make fluid uses of aerials without a c-stick, or tapjump off, ergo, so can you.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Whut. You state tech skill negates the need of a b-stick, then you turn around and say c-stick set to smashes make it easier.

I can make fluid uses of aerials without a c-stick, or tapjump off, ergo, so can you.
No, you can't do so without DIing while attacking. I alternate between attacking with A and C-sticks in the air, and the lagless smashes is also a key benefit. C-sticking aerials is definitely something Jigglypuff wants to do. I am thinking that changing the taunt pad (unfortunately my favorite thing) to B moves might just work.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I can't even play with tap jump on as Jiggly. Using Y to jump is just so much easier to control for me. I couldn't really list the cons for you.
Lol, we don't use it to JUMP as our primary jump... we use it in the air to get better mobility in some cases.

manic, b-sticking is crap for most characters. Yes, it lets you rest cancel into multi hit combos a little better, but that's not nessesary. It IS nessesary to DI as you aieral with jiggs. Abuse his aireal mobility.

Veril

Frame Savant
For the second, yes. For the first, NO. if you are pressing up to jump, it is soo much harder to do nairs to punish opponents when they are close to you
This is why I keep Y as jump. I can alternate between the two.

On b-sticking: it's totally unnecessary. With R set to specials you can just pseudo b-stick.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
manic, b-sticking is crap for most characters. Yes, it lets you rest cancel into multi hit combos a little better, but that's not nessesary. It IS nessesary to DI as you aieral with jiggs. Abuse his aireal mobility.
I am stating Veril proved himself wrong. DI is directional influence, what you're talking about is spacing. And yes, I can space just fine with a b-stick. And yes, you can breverse Jiggz pound. I've done it before. I can consistently do it with a bstick, and it pays off. I can rest interrupt better, because I spent time learning to space without a c-stick, and just slapped specials on my c-stick.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I am stating Veril proved himself wrong. DI is directional influence, what you're talking about is spacing. And yes, I can space just fine with a b-stick. And yes, you can breverse Jiggz pound. I've done it before. I can consistently do it with a bstick, and it pays off. I can rest interrupt better, because I spent time learning to space without a c-stick, and just slapped specials on my c-stick.
Its much less effective spacing if you don't alternate between C-sticked and DIed aerials. And the only true benefit of B-sticking a pound is that it seems to have a lot more range behind you as well, but its use is limited.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Its much less effective spacing if you don't alternate between C-sticked and DIed aerials. And the only true benefit of B-sticking a pound is that it seems to have a lot more range behind you as well, but its use is limited.
The range behind you isn't the use behind it. You have about half a pounds distance you can rise, so you can double the rise, effectively letting you climb around the map without running out of jumps. Or, you can raise that half pound up, then let the rest of the pound go straight. Or you can dig below, and half fall the pound, then let the rest of the pound go down. Or you can go down and up, up or down, etc etc. B-sticking gives me perfect control of pound and all it's uses.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Just to clarify:

I DO NOT use tap jump to jump (directly). I use it for out of sheild jumps, aireal footstools, and to DI while using u-air. It's better than having your fingers cross the controler in some obscene grip that is hard to transition into. (like DI with control stick, and your right thumb sliding from "A" to "Y".

Tap Jump has NO negitive effects if you use it right, and it adds to the gameplay. There is nothing to miss that you can only do if you dont have it on.

90% of the jumps are done with Y or X. Tab jump is not a subsitute for those buttons.

Veril

Frame Savant
Responding to Maniclysane and Alex

Aerial spacing is easier with the c-stick as smashes. This is simply more important than wavebouncing. In addition, you need SDI. Period. I should have stated that first. Its non-negotiable. Rest interrupts are way less effective without that. You should probably trust me on the rest interrupts.

Furthermore, with the R button set to specials the need to b-stick is removed completely. It is relatively simple to learn to pseudo b-stick, which is indistinguishable from standard wavebouncing and superior to a-stick wavebouncing.

In conclusion, with R set to specials there is no reason to b-stick with Jigglypuff. The only thing you lose out on is the wavebounced rollout, and that's really not useful.

Alex: I keep Y as Jump specifically for using n-air OOS and basically if I don't feel like using the tapjump. I find that for following an opponent when WOPing it helps immensely to have TJ on.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I have the same principle as you Veril, but my buttons are switched. Y to Grab and L for Specials. Otherwise, it's unchanged.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I agree. R button for specials is awesome.

Totally trying that.
Can someone explain the beniftis of this? I have it set to attack so my link and DK can pivot walk better, but can you do somehing funky with R set to specials?

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
im suprised veril hasn't discovered this, but while doing friendlies i discovered that u can rest a ledge attack. sheild the first hit of any characters ledge attack and u can rest without fail every time. some characters move a bit forward in there attack but if u move to that spot it works. :D

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
im suprised veril hasn't discovered this, but while doing friendlies i discovered that u can rest a ledge attack. sheild the first hit of any characters ledge attack and u can rest without fail every time. some characters move a bit forward in there attack but if u move to that spot it works. :D
Well for one, why are you posting it here? lol

And for second, this is a sheilded / power sheilded rest. Well known, but a ledge attack has never been suggested specificly. This needs testing if it is true. Still not a ground-breaking find, but ill try this.

Veril

Frame Savant
I did actually. Its mentioned in my thread somewhere and if not I put it in the JBR and forgot to move it. Thanks anyway though. I understand that the thread is super long... Anyway, there are vulnerability frames in EVERYTHING ledge related so... You don't actually need to shield the attack. I find it easier to just perfect rest.

All ledge attacks, ledge rolls, getup attacks, rolls, airdodges, spotdodges, and non-autocanceled aerials can be rested. No further testing needed.

NOTE: I probably already know anything you could possible find involving rest interrupts. That said, its good to remind me / confirm things.

Top Bottom