• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Counter Game

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
@ Kingler

Rotom @ Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs:252 Satk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp
Shadow Ball
HP Fight
Thunderbolt
Will O' Wisp

Focus Sash to survive, and T-Bolt to kill.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
@ Clefable: Zero EVs? I'm sure Rotom could kill you with 3 HP (Fight)s. Rotom is indefinitely faster than you no matter what your EVs are. Plus, you're using Adamant with special attacks.

@ Rotom:

Ninetails @ Leftovers
Flash Fire/Timid
252sp.atk/240spe/16hp
-Shadow Ball
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Nasty Plot

I have plenty of sp.def to eat your attacks. I didn't feel like doing speed calcs on Rotom's odd 91 base speed, so I just used near max speed. I didn't feel like doing damage calcs either, so if your attack does less than 1/2 of my hp, I'll plot up. Otherwise, KOs with shadow ball.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Whoops. I was in a hurry and panicked. Sorry.

Against Ninetales:

Lopunny w/ Choice Band
Jolly/Klutz
140 Atk./ 130 Sp. Atk. / 240 Speed
+ Switcheroo
+ Thunder
+ Focus Punch
+ Shadow Ball
I outspeed your Shadow Ball or Nasty Plot and Switcheroo to force its repetition. I don't know the follow-up.

0RLY

@ Lopunny: Erm this is like the third bunny in two pages...

Slaking @ Choice Band
Adamant/Truant
252atk/196hp/60def
-Shadow Claw
-Return
-Thunder Punch
-Earthquake

Every one of my attacking moves can KO you in one shot. Other moves for coverage.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
You have to specify an attack if you're using choice ORLy We need to know what we're countering. I say we leave Azumarill for the countering since things got messed up and go on from there.

@ Azumarill

Leafeon @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 Hp
Leaf Blade
Quick Attack
Dig (Lol, yeah you read that right)
Toxic

I resist your only attack, and have a high defense to help. Leaf Blade is hopefully an OHKO

0RLY

@ Jumpluff:

Golduck @ Expertbelt
Cloud Nine/Modest
252sp.atk/252sp.def/6spe
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-HP (Electric)
-Focus Blast

Without sun, you're helpless.

IC3R

Smash Lord
You have to specify an attack if you're using choice ORLy We need to know what we're countering. I say we leave Azumarill for the countering since things got messed up and go on from there.
I recall the rules saying that the counter Poke has to be able to safely switch in on any of the attacks, so I think Slaking should be the current counter. Return does anywhere between 380 and 445 damage, and that's actually more than ThunderPunch would do (Azumarill has about 342 HP I think)--but we're too far into it...so meh...

@ Platypus: HP Fire would be 210 power against Glaceon in sunlight, BTW. (70 x 2 x 1.5 [sun] = 210)

========
As for Golduck, I wanted to use Pinsir because of Mold Breaker, but he'd get 2HKO'd by Hydro Pump, even in sunlight, and none of my attacks OHKO you, even with Adamant Max Attack Choice Banded X-Scissor...

I don't want to use Mantine or Lanturn, I've used them like twice already...

Have fun killing stuff...

0RLY

@ IC3R: Slaking is way too easy to counter anyways. I was expecting Mismagius to be the next counter and I was just surprised to see Azumarill. But anyways, the reason I'm posting is because this is the first time I've ever seen somebody post to tell us that they can't think of an effective counter... I'm sure you could think of something creative eventually but I guess you're just in a rush or something.

Err... I can almost tell that somebody is going to counter Golduck with Mismagius now that I mentioned... um... her. That IS a dress it's wearing, right?

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
I recall the rules saying that the counter Poke has to be able to safely switch in on any of the attacks, so I think Slaking should be the current counter. Return does anywhere between 380 and 445 damage, and that's actually more than ThunderPunch would do (Azumarill has about 342 HP I think)--but we're too far into it...so meh...

The any attack clause can't apply with choice items, just like if trick room carries over from counter to counter. The in game rules still apply here, and since we're supposed to know the pokes complete info we need which attack he used.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Shedinja isn't allowed, iirc.

EDIT: Yes, I did recall correctly.
FINE! I'll find a real counter, hold on

How bout this

Ampharos@Leftovers
Static/Modest
252Sp.Atk/252Sp.Def/6Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam
-HP Ice
-Focus Punch(idk, it doesn't have alot of great moves)

You lack anything Super Effective against me so your Expert Belt is negated. Thunderbolt cus its obvious.

IC3R

Smash Lord
@ IC3R: Slaking is way too easy to counter anyways. I was expecting Mismagius to be the next counter and I was just surprised to see Azumarill. But anyways, the reason I'm posting is because this is the first time I've ever seen somebody post to tell us that they can't think of an effective counter... I'm sure you could think of something creative eventually but I guess you're just in a rush or something.

Err... I can almost tell that somebody is going to counter Golduck with Mismagius now that I mentioned... um... her. That IS a dress it's wearing, right?
Yeah, Slaking is easy to counter once it has used an attack, but the point is that Azu can't survive Return or ThunderPunch (which is 50% of Slaking's moveset!).

As for being unable to come up with a quick counter--I was late for work...

Ampharos@Leftovers
Static/Modest
252Sp.Atk/252Sp.Def/6Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam
-HP Ice
-Focus Punch(idk, it doesn't have alot of great moves) Why not Focus Blast?

You lack anything Super Effective against me so your Expert Belt is negated. Thunderbolt cus its obvious.
Good job, Reaper: with Lefties recovery, Hydro Pump barely 3HKO's you, but your Thunderbolt will one-shot this wonderous Duck. Kudos!

@ Amphy:

Luxray @ Leftovers
Adamant / Intimidate
EVs - 204 HP, 52 Att, 252 SpDef
~Spark
~Ice Fang
~Crunch
~Charge

Intimidate cuts your low Attack stat even further, almost nullifying any Focus Punch damage I'd take while doing Charge (all thanks to Leftovers). Charge, BTW, ups my SpDefense, significantly reducing the damage taken from your other moves. And, surprisingly, I keep the Electric boosts as they stack, easily KO'ing anything that isn't immune to Spark, which is why Ice Fang is there. Crunch is for filler...

(This junk is godly in-game!!!!)

=====

As for you, Peppers: Choicers are relatively easy to counter once they have attacked, especially Slaking. However, you don't know the first attack they are going to use while you switch! As I have stated above, Azumarill can't switch into half of Slaking's moveset, and if Shadow Claw just happens to crit it, that's another possible KO move! Being unable to switch into 3/4 of Slaking's set, Azumarill was not a viable counter.

And still we continue on countering things that really shouldn't be on the table yet...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
YAY, Finally a reason to use this

@Luxray

Leafeon@Leftovers
Impish/Leaf Guard
4atk/252def/252spe
-Charm
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Last Resort

Can easily come in on any of your attacks, Charms you, sets up, then leaf blade. Last Resort will be usable after my attack. My moneys on a steel type to wall this.

IC3R

Smash Lord
YAY, Finally a reason to use this

@Luxray

Leafeon@Leftovers
Impish/Leaf Guard
4atk/252def/252spe
-Charm
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Last Resort

Can easily come in on any of your attacks, Charms you, sets up, then leaf blade. Last Resort will be usable after my attack. My moneys on a steel type to wall this.
Didn't we just use Leafeon?

Anyway, your prediction is correct:

Magneton @ Leftovers
Bold / Magnet Pull
EVs - 252 HP, 60 Def, 196 SpAtt
~Discharge
~Hidden Power [Ice]
~Metal Sound
~Light Screen

Laughs at your pitiful attempts to KO without Dig. HP Ice by itself will 2HKO you. Discharge for pseudoBoltBeam with good chance of paralysis, allowing for better sweeping. Metal Sound kills the foe's SpDef, and Light Screen helps cover my poor SpDef.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Lol, sorry, I didn't even notice >_>

NEW EEVEELUTION

@Magneton

Flareon@Lum Berry
Flash Fire/Calm
252SpAtk/212SpDef/44Spe
-Flamethrower
-HP Grass
-Shadow Ball
-Overheat

Can come in on anything, outspeeds you by ONE point, then OHKO's you.

0RLY

@ Flareon: You spelled, "Eeveelution", wrong...

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Limber/Adamant
252atk/200sp.def/56def
-Blaze Kick
-Stone Edge
-Bulk Up
-Mach Punch

High natural sp.def lets me take a hit. If the previous Magneton was nice enough to leave behind a light screen for me, even better. It'll give me time to set-up. Stone edge should be threatening enough to keep flying types away.

IC3R

Smash Lord
@ Flareon: You spelled, "Eeveelution", wrong...

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Limber/Adamant
252atk/200sp.def/56def
-Blaze Kick
-Stone Edge
-Bulk Up
-Mach Punch

High natural sp.def lets me take a hit. If the previous Magneton was nice enough to leave behind a light screen for me, even better. It'll give me time to set-up. Stone edge should be threatening enough to keep flying types away.
Stone Edge may take flyers...but not Levitaters!!!!I really don't remember if I used this set or not, but you guys need to learn it, love it, and fear it. This Claydol alone has won me many battles when it's my final Poke:

Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold / Levitate
EVs - 236 HP, 108 Def, 68 SpAtt, 96 SpDef
~Ice Beam
~Charge Beam
~Cosmic Power
~Rest

You need 4 Bulk Ups to OHKO me with Blaze Kick, which is near impossible for you to do (KO'ing) because I have Cosmic Power raising both of my Defenses to astronomical levels. With Rest on my side, and Lefties healing me every turn anyway, I can easily get rid of Lee--and I don't even have to attack!!! This is basically my anti-LO-sweeper Super Wall, with offensive capabilities!!! Charge Beam to up my own SpAtt, and Ice Beam for excellent coverage.

0RLY

@ Claydol:

Probopass @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull/Bold
252hp/128def/128sp.def
-Flash Cannon
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Taunt

Not sure if this works. I just wanted Toxic, Taunt, and a move that hits for SE. Taunt+Toxic+Attack=GG.

IC3R

Smash Lord
@ Claydol:

Probopass @ Leftovers
Magnet Pull/Bold
252hp/128def/128sp.def
-Flash Cannon
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Taunt

Not sure if this works. I just wanted Toxic, Taunt, and a move that hits for SE. Taunt+Toxic+Attack=GG.
Umm...which move is hitting for SE, Flash Cannon? Nah, you'd need HP Ice for that. And I don't think Taunt would last long enough for Toxic to kill me really. When the Taunt wears off, I can just Rest off the damage allowing you to waste Flash Cannon or you can Taunt me again. Either way, you're going to have quite a hard time stopping me. Almost everything has a hard time stopping this...

Sorry...

COUNTER DENIED!!!!!!

EDIT: Did I mention that Blisseys run in fear of this thing?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
How bout this(someone will have to tell me if it works, im too busy to check right now)

@Claydol

Bibarel@Leftovers
Unaware/Sassy
180Hp/76atk/252SpDef
-Super Fang
-Waterfall
-Return
-Swagger

Ignores your stat boosts and hits you back for half your health and Super Effective damage. Still no idea if this works or not though.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Lets say that Probopass has HP (Ice) over Flash Cannon and Taunt lasts more than 4 turns. How 'bout now?
Okay, then...

Super-effective HP Ice isn't that much stronger than STAB Flash Cannon, doing around 75 damage at best (and that's without any defensive boosts on my part). My Claydol has 320 HP, with Leftovers restoring exactly 20 HP every turn. Assuming I already got two Cosmic Powers in (one on the switch, and one more because I outsped you on the previous turn), the damage taken is reduced to a smaller amount. Probably around 37-38 damage.

----

After a long period of calculating...

Yes, you would beat me, but ONLY if Taunt lasted for more than 4 turns (what is the range, anyway?). This is another example of a Poke relying completely on luck...

Half the time I'm "countered," the other guy is relying solely on luck, rather than skill. With my Gyarados (even though I didn't know it was banned from this game >_>), I would have gotten three Dragon Dances in while Uxie switched in and set up with Yawn + Protect. I would get 3HKO'd by Thunderbolt because of my Wacan Berry. In that time I could have waken up, and 2HKO'd with Waterfall (once on the awakening turn, and once the turn after), or OHKO'd with Flail (because I'd have a neglible amount of HP left after the two Thunderbolts).

In my opinion, our counters need to be sure-fire counters, instead of "I hope it doesn't wake up and 1-2HKO me" or "I hope Taunt goes more than four turns, and I kill you with Toxic" counters.

I'm probably just being picky, but I seem to be the only one concerned with this...If this issue truly doesn't matter to anyone else, I'll drop it.

*Equips Flame Shield*

EDIT: Sorry it takes me so long to respond, my Internet connection is ******** >_>

How bout this(someone will have to tell me if it works, im too busy to check right now)

@Claydol

Bibarel@Leftovers
Unaware/Sassy
180Hp/76atk/252SpDef
-Super Fang
-Waterfall
-Return
-Swagger

Ignores your stat boosts and hits you back for half your health and Super Effective damage. Still no idea if this works or not though.
Now this is more like what I'm looking for. 1: Canceling my enormous stat boosts, 2: Maxing out his SpDef ensuring that I do minimal damage, even with SE Charge Beam, and 3: a solid strategy against me: Super Fang to cut my HP by half, Waterfall for decent STAB and SE damage, and Swagger just to mess with me. This is what our counters should look like, in my opinion.

On a side note--Reaper has really been impressing me lately...

Wow, that's a lot of text...

IC3R

Smash Lord
Why is no one countering me? IC3R, COUNTER ME >:[
Pinsir @ Lum Berry
Adamant/ Mold Breaker
EVs - 252 Att, 200 Def, 56 Spd
~X-Scissor
~Brick Break
~Quick Attack
~Swords Dance

After too long a time of headaches and brain-racking, I finally decided to go with Pinsir.
Mold Breaker cancels your Stat-killing Ability, and will gladly take a Swagger that it may switch into. Should you decide to attack me on the switch, I can SD up, and still receive the boost, hopefully sucking in a Swagger too. OHKO's with boosted Brick Break, X-Scissor for STAB, Quick Attack for priority.

Thank GOD this thing is out of the way...

0RLY

Wow, IC3R, lately you're the one who's been impressing me.

@ Pinsir:

Drifblim @ Petaya Berry
Unburden/Modest
252 hp/100 spe/156 sp.atk
-Natural Gift
-HP (Flying)
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball

HP (Flying) gets STAB and SE damage. Natural Gift+Unburden for my favorite combo, 2 stat boosts in one move. Takes no damage from Brick Break or Quick Attack and X-Scissor does 1/4 damage. =)

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
@Drfblim

Probopass@Leftovers
Sturdy/Calm
252hp/100SpAtk/156Spe
-Thunder
-Rock Polish
-Magnet Rise
-HP Ice

Yeah, I stole your pokemon, sorry ^^; Anyways, none of your attacks are strong enough to matter, even after your Petaya boost. Gives me enough time to Rock Polish and raise my ******** speed to NOT ******** levels. Thunder/Hp Ice so I can fake Bolt/Beam

MysticKenji

Smash Master
@Drfblim

Probopass@Leftovers
Sturdy/Calm
252hp/100SpAtk/156Spe
-Thunder
-Rock Polish
-Magnet Rise
-HP Ice

Yeah, I stole your pokemon, sorry ^^; Anyways, none of your attacks are strong enough to matter, even after your Petaya boost. Gives me enough time to Rock Polish and raise my ******** speed to NOT ******** levels. Thunder/Hp Ice so I can fake Bolt/Beam
Pikachu @ Lightball
(+SpDef -Def)/Static
252SpDef/252Speed/4HP
-Brick Break
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-HP [Ice]

I'm original!!!

0RLY

@ Red Peppers: Drifblim is one of my favorite pokes!

@ Ikue Ootani: Wow, Pika can 2hko Probopass with no EV investment...

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Intimidate/Naughty
252atk/252spe/6hp
-Dig
-Flare Blitz
-Extremespeed
-Overheat

I'm likely going to be switching in on Brick Break which Intimidate weakens to an unthreatening level. Dig or Flare Blitz for the KO... depending on my mood.

Top Bottom