• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Old Counter Game

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
ORLy man why??? I JUST used Arcanine!!! with 3 of the same moves. Dig rocks in the counter game am I right? Drifblim is cool, but seriously man. Thank you Mystic Kenji!!

@ Arcanine

Rypherior @ Leftovers
Nature: (+ Atk, - Spd)
EVs 252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 Hp
Substitute
EQ
Focus Punch
Payback

Ok Doesn't matter if you dig, EQ will hit anyways. I have massive Defense, and resistances to helo me out.

I was thinking, I'd like to play some Brawl online with people from the counter game? Anyone interested? Maybe we could do a little tournament?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Argh, I was really hoping I didn't have to use this, but you give me no choice

@Rypherior

Tangrowth@Leftovers
Chlorophyll/Bold
230Def/76SpAtk/204Speed
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Hp Fire
-Energy Ball

Comes in on EQ and takes next to no damage, is faster than you so it can seed you then sets up Sunnybeam. Or, if I come in on anything else, Energy Ball is more than enought to take you down. Grass/Fire isn't the best for coverage, but it works well enough.

IC3R

Smash Lord
EDIT: Reaper countered already? Very well, give me a moment...

I just realized I could have used Spinda against that Bibarel, Reaper... :/
Stress must have really been messing with me...getting swept by Spikes and whatnot.

Formulating...

Tangrowth@Leftovers
Chlorophyll/Bold
230Def/76SpAtk/204Speed
-Sunny Day
-Solar Beam
-Hp Fire
-Energy Ball

Comes in on EQ and takes next to no damage, is faster than you so it can seed you then sets up Sunnybeam. Or, if I come in on anything else, Energy Ball is more than enought to take you down. Grass/Fire isn't the best for coverage, but it works well enough.
Wait, isn't Tangrowth OU, or is it BL?

Either way:

Altaria @ Wise Glasses
Modest / Natural Cure
EVs - 252 SpAtt, 4 SpDef, 252 Spd
~Dragon Pulse
~Flamethrower
~Hidden Power [Ground]
~Agility

All of your attacks do lol damage, and I can Agility on any one of them. I'd be faster than a whole roster of Pokes, even the Scarfed ones. It thanks you kindly for any Sun you may have set up, returning the favor with a well-deserved Flamethrower. Dragon Pulse for STAB, and Hidden Power for anyone who decides to use Heatran (even though we are not allowed to use OU's anymore).

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Uhhh, last time I checked, Tangrowth was BL. Granted, i wanted to avoid BL altogether but I couldn't because of Rypherior.

Anyways, @Alteria(I knew this was going to be my counter, I was just waiting for it XD)

Lunatone@Leftovers
Levitate/Bold
252Hp/252SpDef/4SpAtk
-Psych Up
-Cosmic Power
-Charge Beam
-Ice Beam

Psych Up steals speed, Cosmic Power bolsters defenses and Charge Beam builds strength. Thats right, its Claydol in a new form, with alot more speed. Good luck.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Uhhh, last time I checked, Tangrowth was BL. Granted, i wanted to avoid BL altogether but I couldn't because of Rypherior.

Anyways, @Alteria(I knew this was going to be my counter, I was just waiting for it XD)

Lunatone@Leftovers
Levitate/Bold
252Hp/252SpDef/4SpAtk
-Psych Up
-Cosmic Power
-Charge Beam
-Ice Beam

Psych Up steals speed, Cosmic Power bolsters defenses and Charge Beam builds strength. Thats right, its Claydol in a new form, with alot more speed. Good luck.
I knew I should have slapped Solarbeam on Altaria! Can I have a redo, please? :chuckle:
Well, thanks for using my UltimaWall set, though you're kinda missing a recovery move :ohwell:
Without recovery, you're relatively easy to counter:

Dusclops @ Leftovers
Adamant/ Pressure
EVs - 196 HP, 56 Att, 128 Def, , 128 SpDef
~Shadow Sneak
~Brick Break
~Swagger
~Psych Up

ZOMG MOAR PZYK UPZ!!!!!!
Swaggers you to make your otherwise useless Attack stat your worst enemy. But wait! I use Psych Up, and steal every last boost you've gotten up to that point, including the Attack boost! Shadow Sneak to make up for my crappy Speed, and Brick Break to hit everything Shadow Sneak doesn't. On neutral stats, Shadow Sneak will do about 35% damage, and I can boost your Attack faster than you can boost your Defenses, and steal the boosts until I get a OHKO. By that time, almost nothing can stop me...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
@Dusclops

Torkoal@Lum Berry
White Smoke/Modest
200Hp/180def/84SpAtk/44spe
-Will-o-wisp
-Fire Blast
-Substitute
-EQ

Comes in on swagger and takes the the boost without the confusion. Outspeeds you by one point to set up Substitute and my massive defenses mean you wont be breaking it any time soon, especially after a will-o-wisp eats away your power from any psyching up you may do.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
@ Torkoal

Mantine @ Wide Lens
Nature: Modest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Satk / 252 Hp / 6 Sdef
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Bounce
Ice Beam

You really can't hurt me.... I set up the rain Hydro Pump for the KO, and Bounce for my Dig equivalent lol.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Haha I got you Reaper!!! You're 2x weak to Flying. I can just Bounce you twice, or I could use Ice beam the 2nd time I guess. I outspeed you remember. Why does everyone always counter me wrong?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
@ Toxicroak:

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Guts/Modest
252hp/6def/252sp.atk
-Counter
-Focus Blast
-Surf
-HP (Electric)

Umm... lol? Special sweeping Hariyama. I thought I might as well use special attacks since one counter is all it takes to bring you down.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
@Hariyama

Espeon@Leftovers
Synchronize/Modest
252SpAtk/252Spe/4Hp
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
-Psychic
-HP Fighting

Not much to say here, you cant counter a special attack and your pathetic special attack stat wont matter after a calm mind. Stop making me use BL >.<

0RLY

@ Espeon: Nobody is making you use BL. Hariyama has a base sp.atk of 40!

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Levitate/Modest
252sp.atk/252sp.def/6hp
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball
-HP (Fight)
-Thunder Wave

Obvious counter is obvious.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
You said you'd be setting up with Rain Dance, so I come in on that. you could use bounce but I'd just stone edge you when you land. And don't forget you ONLY outspeed me if you set up rain dance. My counter works.
Yeah I wasn't thinking clearly when I posted that, I was about ready fall over from that boring family party I had to go to.

0RLY

I don't necessarily have to use Shadow Ball. I can easily use a Thunder Wave, provided that Espeon doesn't use substitute when I switch in. If you rest off the paralysis, Sleep Talk only has 1/3 of a chance of selecting the killing move. I'm at school so I can't make any calcs... Grah... school x.x

IC3R

Smash Lord
@Hariyama

Espeon@Leftovers
Synchronize/Modest
252SpAtk/252Spe/4Hp
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
-Psychic
-HP Fighting

Not much to say here, you cant counter a special attack and your pathetic special attack stat wont matter after a calm mind. Stop making me use BL >.<
lol

The absolute best counter for this would have been...*drumroll*...
Sableye...

Anyway, 0Rly...If you ended up using T-Wave on Swellow, you just made it slightly more dangerous, thanks to Guts. Either way, you are countered by this Swellow for a few reasons:

1. Swellow is using a 120 BPwr Physical STAB attack against you. With a pitiful Base 60 Def, Maggie is not surviving more than two of these. (non-boosted BB, on average, will OHKO Maggie; Guts-boosted is just major overkill :psycho:)

2. Should you decide to use T-Wave, you just sealed your doom. Swellow may have lost it's Speed advantage, but it quickly makes up for it with power.

3. We're allowed to use OU's again?! :bee:

===

As for Swellow:

Steelix @ Liechi Berry
Jolly / Rock Head
EVs - 252 Att, 4 Def, 252 Spd
~Earthquake
~Stone Edge
~Crunch
~Rock Polish

Takes Swellow's attacks like nothing, and uses Rock Polish to double my once-laughable Speed to a formidable threat. Stone Edge will more than likely OHKO it (minimum damage leaves you with like 10 HP). When the damage starts to rack up, Liechi Berry will activate and boost my average Attack stat into a monstrous amount. EdgeQuake + Crunch covers everything in the game.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
@Steelix

Gorebyss@Leftovers
Swiftswim/Modest
106Def/252SpAtk/150Spe
-Rain Dance
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Psychic

Rain Dance allows me to out speed you even after you Rock Polish and Surf will kill you way too fast to let Liechi Berry activate. The EV Spread allows me to survive 2 Earthquakes with Leftovers calculated in.

0RLY

@ Gorebyss:

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Rain Dish/Calm
204hp/180sp.def/126sp.atk
-Energy Ball
-Leech Seed
-HP (Rock)
-Substitute

I liek teh rain moar den j00.

0RLY

@ Swalot:

Tauros @ Expert Belt
Intimidate/Adamant
252atk/100def/156sp.def
-Earthquake
-Return
-Stone Edge
-Zen Headbutt

Intimidate lowers your attack. Gunk Shot has miserable accuracy anyways. Earthquake or Zen Headbutt for the kill.

IC3R

Smash Lord
@ Swalot:

Tauros @ Expert Belt
Intimidate/Adamant
252atk/100def/156sp.def
-Earthquake
-Return
-Stone Edge
-Zen Headbutt

Intimidate lowers your attack. Gunk Shot has miserable accuracy anyways. Earthquake or Zen Headbutt for the kill.
ZOMG, Claydol and Bronzong wall you so hard, but I've already used each of them like two or three times, so give me a sec...

Staraptor @ Life Orb
Impish / Intimidate
EVs - 56 HP, 252 Att, 200 Spd
~Brave Bird
~Close Combat
~Return
~Roost

I can survive a Stone Edge, thanks to my own Intimidate, and I can Roost off the damage to where Stone Edge is nothing (you can use it eight times, and Roost is usable...more...). Your Return attack is also meh, should you decide to quit spamming Stone Edge. Life Orb'd Close Combat is a OHKO, Brave Bird and Return are for super-strong STAB attacks, and Roost gets rid of any damage including the recoil from Brave Bird and Life Orb.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I WILL USE CLOSE COMBAT!!!!!! The chance is just quite high :dizzy:
So prepare something that can take an attack or two that's not named Skarmory or Weezing lol...

0RLY

@ Staraptor:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Pressure/Bold
240sp.atk/204spe/64def
-Thunderbolt
-Roost
-Toxic
-HP (Ice)

Two words. Bolt. Beam. Toxic+Roost to stall out anything not named Steelix.

IC3R

Smash Lord
@ Zapdos

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Jolly / Quick Feet
EVs - 252 Att, 56 SpDef, 200 Spd
~Facade
~Close Combat
~Crunch
~Swords Dance

Loves being Poisoned. After an SD, this is one heck of a pain to put down, running around with 718 Att after an SD with all-around coverage is nothing to sneeze at. Roost all you want, you won't be able to stop this thing. Facade for the kill, Crunch for Ghosts jumping in the way, and Close Combat for Steels hoping to absorb the former two.

ZOMG ITZ A BAAAAAAAEEEEEEER!!!!!!

IC3R

Smash Lord
IC3R, Zapdos was already countered, and when did we start using OU again?
It was? *Searches previous page*

WTF?! Piloswine?! Bah, I guess I'll let you have this one. Apparantly, I stole the countering of the Tauros from Platypus. Sorry, dude...:(

Yeah really....... I mean Zapdos??? At least it hasn't been used in awhile lol.
I'm quite enjoying having to actually use my brain to counter stuff. Quite refreshing, actually...

No OU's...for now...:evil:

IC3R

Smash Lord
Oh well, that Ursaring counters Piloswine so I'll counter it.

@Ursaring

Shuckle@Leftovers
Sturdy/Bold
252Hp/252Def/4SpDef
Encore
Rest
Bide
Toxic

Lol, your already poisoned, so its really just a waiting game.
Zangoose @ Salac Berry
Jolly/ Immunity
EVs - 4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spd
~Return
~Close Combat
~Night Slash
~Swords Dance

ZOMG, it's a similar set!!!! Only this time, I'm not Poisoned, nor can I be Poisoned. I can stall with SD if you Encore, Rest, or Bide. 2HKO with Close Combat (with max SD boosts!!! WTF?!?!?!). Stupid Shuckle... (-__-)#

0RLY

@ Moltres:

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Flash Fire/Calm
252sp.atk/252sp.def/6hp
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Counter
-Nasty Plot

Too easy. You can't hurt me.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Seriously Reaper, that Moltres should've had Air Slash...

@Doom

Houndoom @ Focus Sash
Modest/Flash Fire
252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
-Flamethrower
-Sludge Bomb
-Toxic
-Reversal

-Ter
Muk @ Black Sludge
Adamant / Sticky Hold
EVs - 200 HP, 68 Def, 240 SpDef
~Shadow Sneak
~Brick Break
~Curse
~Rest

Bulky enough to take your attacks, Curse and Rest to buff my physical capabilities. KO's with Brick Break and Shadow Sneak for a powerful attack and a good priority move.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I was gonna do Air Slash but I figured I was either gonna get walled by a fire type or a steel type and I just decided I wanted it to be a fire type.

Anyways @Muk

Marowak@Thick Club
Rock Head/Jolly
252Atk/252Spe/4Def
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch
-Double Edge

Actually quite bulcky in terms of Defence so it comes in pretty easy. SD to make my already retardedly high attack jump into the thousands. You'll never be able to curse high enough to stop that XD

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
@ Marowak

Lapras @ Focus Sash
Nature: Modest
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Satk / 252 Hp/ 6 Def
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Ice Shard
Thunderbolt

Focus Sash to survive, and then Hydro Pump for the KO.

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
Against Marowak:

Minun w/Wise Glasses
Mild/Minus
100 Def./ 255 Sp. Atk/ 105 Sp. Def./ 50 Speed
+ Encore
+ Thunder
+ Grass Knot
+ Toxic
I Encore to Grass Knot. Good luck with Steelix.

EDIT: Dang, beaten to the punch...But this set works on Lapras, does it not?

EDIT2: You totally broke Rule Fifteen. *Cries quietly*

Top Bottom