• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Wolf Moveset/Gameplay Thread (New Videos/Teams)

Gea

Smash Master
Only if you take Final Smashes into account. Marth lost a fair amount of range and some power too.
He's faster, has his spike, has an aerial KO move (the second hit of nair is retardedly strong for a horizontal move with that kind of range. It kills Pika on Corneria from the fin to the right side in the 40% range.), fsmash, MORE speed (which is furthered by lack of horizontal movement and speed in brawl all in all), can chainthrow some characters with downthrow and still has a tipper. Whoo. Looks REAL balanced.

Also consider the fact with slower characters, range isn't nerfed that bad for him. He still outranges the majority of characters with his attacks while still being stronger + faster. He looks about as broken as Sheik did when Melee came out (minus the ******** chainthrows).

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh dear. Well hopefully Marth will be easier to counter with the new air dodging mechanic.

I haven't played him myself, but I've been analysingbhis moveset from videos. He does seem faster, I can say that much...

Mind you, though, I think he's gotten lighter, and he has some extra "hang time" at the end of his revovery move that looks punishable.

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah, he doesn't look totally gamebreaking. He falls somewhat faster (lol @ being able to chainthrow him) and at the very least it looks like certain characters will probably end up as good counterpicks against him.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Another thing you have to consider: a LOT of characters have disjointed hitbox attacks now, and almost equal range. Even Lucas and Lucario have fast disjointed hitbox moves to compete with Marth's sword. He's not so much of a priority god like Melee.

Pit and Metaknight seem to match up to him at least.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
So hes a Luigified clone?
Not even that. Wolf actually has more original attacks than Luigi move for move. His entire A moveset is unique, and even a few of his B moves are so different that they could be considered originals.

His 'firefox' attack actually has a totally new move hidden in it if you use it on the ground.

By the way, people! It's official: Wolf's reflector hits things and can be ground canceled. And wow, does it have some AWESOME range!

:034:

Smash Hero
1v1, Falco VS Wolf. Shadow Moses Island. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpCXNnqD6A

Wolf seems to be doing great on Shadow Moses, just kept on comboing Falco in between those walls, pretty much dominating the first stock until they took the fight to the upper levels, where Falco got a bit more space and freedom to move around, and not get pounced by the aggresive Wolf.

So basically, keep your enemy tied down and be agressive seems to be a nice strategy, just don't give your opponent breathing space like this guy did. Almost made him lose the match.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, Wolf seems very good for covering distance with his attacks. However, since most of his attacks have such specific ranges, an observant opponent may be able to punish his incoming strikes.

Smash Hero
Yeah, Wolf seems very good for covering distance with his attacks. However, since most of his attacks have such specific ranges, an observant opponent may be able to punish his incoming strikes.
True, but a good player would be able to use some extensive mindgames and get the opponent just where he needs them to be. If you can pull that off, like the player in that video on the first half of the first stock, you can lay down some serious hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPO02OOtMFA Here is an example of how it isn't done. Marth VS Wolf, Marth lays down some serious hurt due to the range of his fair. Wolf's Up+B seemingly fixes the problem, but countering's got him beat. In the middle, they decide to lay down and do a dance... Wolf spazzes out.

Afterwards, the Wolf player does well with a Laser approach and some combo's. Forward Smash is unaffected by the counter. Looks like Marth is pretty much Wolf's counterpick though, with his high speed and range.

EDIT: At 6:08, Wolf's Illusion seems to have a strange property. Looks like a meteor or spike to me.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Marth looks like he'll be everyone's counter, lol.
Oh, and another subtle weakness that may affect Wolf's gameplay: he has no disjointed hitbox attacks.

A lot of the cast have moves that aren't attached to their bodies this time, whether it be swords of Aura. Granted, Fox and Falco don't have this privilege either, but it's still something to take into consideration while playing as the space animals.

Smash Hero
I think his laser approach, albeit not as good as Fox and Falco's, could fix that a little bit. Run, SHL (be sure to delay the shot, or it goes over the opponent's head), then get him with a quick tilt attack and combo him. So far, Wolf's uptilt and up smash moves combo very nicely, also in combination with an uair. I'm worried about the nair though, it doesn't seem that good.

And yeah, Marth pretty much seems to beat everybody.. Again.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igpjjxDqSHc Wolf VS Falcon, the same Wolf player only worse. He really needs to get used to the character, while getting pummeled by Falcon.. Oh well, a video is a video.

DOUBLE EDIT: The reflector seems useful, but not.. Fox Shine useful.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I watched that Wolf/Falcon vid, and I really don't know where to begin in pointing out his mistakes.

As for Marth: it seems his closest thing to a weakness is a lack of projectile support and a sub-par recovery.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Okay, as requested by a PM, I played Wolf some more to give more impressions of him.

Note all of the below is just my own opinion, and I'm not a huge Fox/Falco player nor a big Wolf fan (probably not going to play him much) so keep that in mind.

First, I rescind my statement that he is the next fox/shiek. Sadly, so far it seems the same top tiers from last time may hold their position - Marth, Shiek, and Falco are doing very well. This may just be familiarity with them though. Wolf is still very good and may still be top tier, but I'm not as afraid of him now.

The thing that hurts Wolf a lot is his incredibly slow speed on the ground. He's one of the slower characters in the game on the ground. This makes it very hard to do things like run and grab someone, making his grab game inferior to Fox/Falco. It also makes tech chasing difficult, although his Side Smash helps a lot. Still, I found this difficult to work around - I'm used to either fast running characters or slow characters with disjointed hitboxes or more power on their moves, and Wolf is neither.

His reflector stuns opponents for a good while before they move away from the impact (like Samus's charged shot). It seems to give the impression its a more powerful hit, but its hard to land and I'm not sure it can be used as a shine spike. Its great for reflecting projectiles though with its property of doubling their return speed.

His Up+B seems like a spinning kick or something, its hard to see clearly, but its a great multi-hit power move with good priority. Unfortunately it does still have a pause at the beginning (I thought I saw someone claiming it did not). Also during the pause, I don't think he can hurt anyone like Fox/Falco does with their flames - his version doesn't use fire.

Wolf's best move IMHO is his Side+B and his Side Smash. His Side+B has all the great properties of Fox's, but is better for recovery with its upwards movement and is also one of, if not the, most powerful moves Wolf has if aimed correctly. Wolf's Side+B is a kill move. Make sure to aim it so you stop right overlapped with an opponent, and they will fly away and often have no idea what hit them since you warped in so quickly. This is one of the major differences between him and Fox/Falco - they pretty much only use their side+B's for recovery or the occasional surprise hit, but Wolf uses it to finish people.

His Side Smash you are all well aware of its property of zooming him forward and being effective as a surprise attack from a distance. Its and the Side+B are first 2 moves I saw him do and the reason I originally thought he was slated for top tier.

His Up Air is a great juggle move, its similar to DK's in that he can keep the enemy in the air for a long time with it. However, he can't kill with it, so you must depend on his Up Smash for vertical kills.

He does have a Meteor Smash, which is always nice.

I don't have much else to say about him - he doesn't have anything super special about him other than the reflector's extra property, the warp dash being a kill move, his forward-rushing Side Smash, and his air speed being better than his ground speed. The rest of his stuff is fairly standard fare and you can see how he plays in videos. Sorry I didn't have much to add.

regorris

Smash Apprentice
He seems to be a pretty decent character... my only question is this: why are all the villians heavier and than their hero counterparts? Then again, I guess R.O.B. is a villian.

Relhots

Smash Lord
He seems to be a pretty decent character... my only question is this: why are all the villians heavier and than their hero counterparts? Then again, I guess R.O.B. is a villian.
yeah...they pretty much are...

Zeta Punch

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know what that thing on Wolf's back is?

I have three guesses, but I can't find a clear enough image to tell:

a) it's a jetpack for his ^B and >B
b) it's his laser
c) it's his reflector

For the record, I'm asking here because I wonder if there's any lag involved with b) or c). There does seem to be a weird pause when he's firin his lazor (:)), and I'm wondering if it's because he's pulling it out.

Relhots

Smash Lord
Does anyone know what that thing on Wolf's back is?

I have three guesses, but I can't find a clear enough image to tell:

a) it's a jetpack for his ^B and >B
b) it's his laser
c) it's his reflector

For the record, I'm asking here because I wonder if there's any lag involved with b) or c). There does seem to be a weird pause when he's firin his lazor (:)), and I'm wondering if it's because he's pulling it out.
Its his jetpack...his laser and reflector are on his side...

Maph

Smash Cadet
I'm really glad Wolf isn't a Fox clone. I can't wait to get a copy so I can try my hand at Wolf. He seems interesting. The way Melee Ganondorf was interesting.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Alright, everyone... I want to SINCERELY apologize for my absecene the past few days. School, work, etc, more john, etc.

I apologize.

I'd like to thank Nessbounder for supplying me with his moveset list, Zauron for your extra information on Wolf, and... dammit... that... other helpful guy a page or two back... sorry >.<. He posted the Shadow Moses Island video (I'd already seen it, but he had a nice two cents).

So, I apologize, thank you, and with that I will update the first post HARDCORE.

Over the next few days expect major overhauls with the first post including Nessbounder's moveset, a crap load more videos, better outline, colors, and if I get Brawl in the next two days like I'm supposed, then expect my own moveset and opinions on the moves as well as some tutorial videos.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
we should converge...our topics are exactly the same..although mine is more up-to-date

what do u think?
no point in having 2. or do u plan on doing something different with it?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
The only thing different from mine is the first half of the post which I STILL CAN'T DO BECAUSE PLAY ASIA SUCKS AT SHIPPING CRAP!

...Sorry.

So, I do recommend a merge. I just looked at your thread and I noticed you've included all the information I already have, and you're better at updating.

How's about we keep your thread, I make a moveset/advanced tutortial video guide for your first post and draw an outline for the rest of your post, and delete my thread.

In otherwise I scratch this thread, we more thoroughly organize your thread, and I add my content to your thread regarding Wolf's potential.

Sound good?

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
sounds good. well be abel to create a very strong wolf thread together. i wont have my game till the 9th so its up to you to get all the vids from your copy for now.

taza2013

Smash Cadet
so i was playing wolf yesterday and i found something out about his laser. If u try firing it at a close range, like right next to the enemy, when ur drawing the laser, u hit the opponent with it, then stun them. Its actually pretty nice, cuz then after that, you can combo them some more.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Hey. Here's wolf's entire moveset. You may want to add it to the front of this page.

All of the names are made up by myself. These are not official names and can be changed when we know the real names of the attacks thanks to a Famitsu guide or something.

F-air: Hunter's kick
description: a flying great kick to the front. Fast and has great range thanks to Wolf's long legs.
It's a kick???

I thought he was slashing with his left claws. . .

THROWS
------------

grab attack: unkown

U-Throw: Deadly claw
description: Wolf holds his opponent above his head and slashes them with his claws.

F-Throw: unknown

D-Throw: Feral star
descripton: Wolf jumps above his opponent's head, balances there and then scratches them hard with his foot.

B-throw: Blind star
description: Wolf pulls the opponent behind him, then jumps up onto their face and kicks them away.
Can't we update this?

His grab attack is a knee to the lower chest area (REALLY really fast), and his f-throw is like a faster version of Ganon's, he sorta pushes the guy forward, then claws him with his left hand. It's a flowing motion that looks just right with an instant throw.

TAUNTS
-----------

Taunt1: Wolf throws back his head and howls.

Taunt 2: Wolf does some fancy kicks and says "Doush'ta Doush'ta?" ("what's wrong?")
Taunt 3: Wolf crouches down on all fours and howls.
Wolf crouches down on all but his left hand(/paw?), and growls.

We all know his English taunt, "What's the matter, scared?"

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I took over it, but have yet to do anything with it. That's my point.

And quantity isn't the same as quality. I believe we have many guides, but no real excellent ones that would steer newcomers or misguided people in the right direction.

I also plan to, when I get the chance, to make a Wolf Wall demonstrational video. It seems some people don't understand what I meant when I first came up with it, most have a misinteruprted meaning, and a few truly understand what I intended, so I'm hoping that a video demonstration would be awesome.

MicroBlast

Smash Rookie
so i was playing wolf yesterday and i found something out about his laser. If u try firing it at a close range, like right next to the enemy, when ur drawing the laser, u hit the opponent with it, then stun them. Its actually pretty nice, cuz then after that, you can combo them some more.
I found that out also, it's very strong when comboed with his side or down smash.
You can combo that with his reflector.. Jump towards, reflect then shoot once you are at the right range.

Although I wonder about it's priority, will have to play with it some more.

Top Bottom