• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official West Virginia Thread - Cilantro Smash 3 (July 19)

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yeah it's too bad the drive is so long from one place in WV to another. If you can get a carpool going, that would be pretty awesome and would cut down on gas costs for everyone at least. This should be a regular thing, so I hope you can make it down sometime!

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
anybody on this thread from weirton? i need someone to play

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
^^^You're in luck my man. The wobbly do right above you is from Weirton. Also you guys are close to Pittsburgh and there are good tournaments there all the time (check out Hope for the soonest one).

Also check out our WV Facebook thread (link in OP)

Last edited:

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
^^^You're in luck my man. The wobbly do right above you is from Weirton. Also you guys are close to Pittsburgh and there are good tournaments there all the time (check out Hope for the soonest one).

Also check out our WV Facebook thread (link in OP)
im definitely trying to get into the pittsburgh scene. i have a a whole lot of training to do first though. im so glad i found this thread. i thought the WV smash community would pretty much be nonexistant.

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
It used to be pretty much nonexistent. As soon as I joined, EVO and the documentary were just coming out, and there's been a resurgence of activity going on in the WV Smash community. We're slowly rising, but we're aiming to show all of the other states that we are the cream of the crop and know what we are doing. A few players (specifically two, KrazyKnux and KrazyKrox) are pretty established in a few of the surrounding states and their names are well-known. There's plenty of talent rising up, and a lot of people are thirsty to win. We have the drive, we just gotta grind it out and start heading to out of state events. If you haven't already, check out our Facebook page and start joining in the conversations and start learning and practicing and making a name for yourself.

Whitepanda

Smash Rookie
Live towards clarksburg, wv getting back into smash. Will have a lot of training to do. But hello everybody!

Whitepanda

Smash Rookie
Just sent in a request, Morgantown will be the more likely travel until I get better. Gonna take long days of di practice, short hops, etc and over all I just need more game experience outside of my local group who I used to play with.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Ok bam, I updated some info in the OP (added some more players, as well as an events section.) We seem to be expanding pretty rapidly, and there are still lots of people left off the list. Remember to let me know your tag and main(s) and I'll add you ASAP.

Another interesting tidbit: we have a venue available in Cross Lanes, WV, so we might get try and run a larger-scale tournament sometime. I'm sure we could hold 50+ players. If anyone is interested, let me know! We can start throwing around dates and try and garner some out-of-state interest. It would likely just be a Melee/PM tournament (including doubles).

Until then, practice up folks! We're looking to get some more representation in out-of-state tournaments, and I think this region could really be a force to be reckoned with. I mean heck, we already have 2 top EC Foxes.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
There's so much potential for us lmao - we're having this weird little revival and interest in smash in general is booming. We just need to get everybody together, but it's hard because we're spread out. I think this fall will be big for us when everybody goes back to college because that will kinda focus the numbers into particular areas. Summer is kinda busy for me, personally, since I'm a muthafuggin superstar athlete (lol), but I'll get down to Cross Lanes to kick some ass eventually I hope!

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yeah, a lot of people are all over. In fact, there's a group in Beckley who are thinking of starting up a weekly series. But we'll be able to get some centralized tournaments and bring everyone together. (Or maybe we could even do a circuit event. That would be hype.) Hope to see you at AFK sometime soon!

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I am stuck up in Fairmont hoping for people in the area to coalesce and create a smashfest :p I know I am here for at least during the beginning of the WV school year until my TDY ends.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
^^^Like I said earlier, I'm not 100% sure who's located in or near Fairmont. There will definitely be some people in Morgantown when the school year starts up. Also, if you're able to travel, there are some upcoming tournaments nearby you might be able to attend. There's one in Morgantown on July 26th, and one in Weirton on August 9th. Hope you can make it out!

In the meantime, I added the upcoming events to the OP.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
I just played at the Project M tourney at The Four Horsemen at WV, and I gotta say, I'm definitely more interested in learning the game in the upcoming frame. Really hype for the tournament next Sunday, hoping we get a lot of players to trek up here to Morgantown.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Nice nice. Wish the WVU crew would hurry up and show so they could start throwing melee tournaments tho.

@ Soupeschleg Soupeschleg , I changed the OP for ya. Hoping I get to play those Icies soon!

Last edited:

Kip Smithers

Smash Rookie
Wow don't think i ever posted here before. But anyway whats good dudes!! Glad to see the smash scene in West V is growing.

lifexlust

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3110-5632-7893
Yo add some people to that list, aka Kip Smithers especially, myself, and TheRaj because we're all beckley and have smash boards accounts :-)

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Got it. Glad to see some folks posting in this thread! If anyone wants to be added to the list, let me know! Or if you know some people from your crew. It's definitely not comprehensive yet, but I'd like for new people to be able to see who's around so if they want to get a smashfest/tournament going, they know who to talk to.

over30

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone. I organize the fighting game events at Four Horsemen Comics and Gaming in Morgantown. Most people who have hit up the venue know me, and I generally post events on Facebook. I made an account here mostly for posting events and for score reporting since a few of the players talked about wanting to do that. Speaking of, if you've played at an event I have a bracket of let me know so I can swap out names for smashboard handles before I report scores. As we start to run less round robins and more brackets I'll make sure to grab your handle at the actual event instead. (I apparently can't post links until I have 10 posts, so head to challonge.com/users/battlan_brobot to see the brackets I have)

I am generally more concerned about learning the rules so I can be a good TO for events, for all games, not just Smash. I play Smash very very casually but you'll catch me c-sticking hard whenever people want to play.

I'll go ahead and plug our Saturday event for anyone who isn't familiar with it:

Saturday Scuffles is a weekly all-day casual Saturday event held at Four Horsemen Comics and Gaming in the Morgantown Mall. The event kicks off every Saturday when the store opens at 10am (though I usually don't show up until a bit after noon with my setups) and ends whenever the store decides to kick us out or we get too tired to keep playing. This is usually pretty late since the store stays open until the last employee decides to leave, which could be well past mall closing time (you can exit through the back of the store instead of the mall itself). Setups we generally have running every week: Melee, PM, SFIV, Marvel3, Injustice, BlazBlue, etc. Games change based on what people want to play, but I tend to have copies of most every popular fighter on hand. You're free to bring your own setup (we have two CRTs just for Smash) and like most fighting events it is strongly recommended you bring your own controller.

Casuals/Friendlies are playable all day and there is no venue fee. At 5pm we open signups for $2 tournaments in whatever games people want to play (I usually ask what people are interested in - Smash of some sort almost always has interest). At 6pm we kick these tournaments off if we have at least five people signed up for a specific game. These prizes are generally handed out as Store Credit, but if we have people from out of town we'll work to accommodate a cash payout instead.

Moving forward we're looking to start ranbats in a week or two with prizes awarded around the end of the college semester (early December), so our casual fun $2 tournaments will give out bigger prizes if you attend every week. We'll probably do a larger tournament with additional prizes (pot bonuses, etc) once every quarter.

Speaking of tournaments, I'd like to thank everyone who came out to the tournament this past weekend. Unfortunately I didn't have a hand in this event as I was out of town for the weekend, but I'll be there next time so Victor/Garm993 can focus on playing while I run brackets and stuff.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Bout to drop the softest post in this thread.

Aight, so I'm really soul searching when it comes to choosing a main. I figured I'd just ask for some feedback here cause WV has the homies. Everyone in the game is just hella fun to play. I have the most success by far with Luigi and Ice Climbers, but I really want to play someone more technical. I have the time now to practice tech and I want to press tons of buttons all the time. Judging by that, playing one of the spacies would be the best bet. My problem though is that I have this weird mental block when playing high tiers. I feel this added pressure that I have to win every game when I play the better characters. This really hinders my play. Also, I don't want to be just another Fox main, y'know? He feels amazing to play as, but unless you're super sick with him, you're nothing (and combo'd to hell). Falco is one of my favorite Nintendo characters so I'd be happy to play him (I kind of have to be rooting for the character I'm playing) but so many new players who can't handle Fox just fall back on Falco because he's easier to control, so it makes me feel like a fraud. I don't know...playing Falco makes me feel like I'm just playing "Fox for dummies." Basically, what I'm asking is if anyone has any tips for a better mindset or if there's some super technical low-tier I'm forgetting - because that would be the best of both worlds for me.

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
Lmfao playing Falco doesn't make you a fraud. Just play Falco man. If you're looking for a technical low-tier, then Yoshi is a good option.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu is dope, but there's already a Pikachu player in Wheeling. I don't wanna... steal his thunder. AYYYY WE GOT PUNS

edit: I'm gonna stop being a ***** and just go Fox lol. Maybe I'll make it down to AFK tomorrow.

Last edited:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Oh man that would be so hard. I haven't played a lot of the players recently, and I know everyone is improving fast. I would start the list something like:

1. Kip Smithers :falcomelee::drmario: & Wackid :sheikmelee:
2. Irrelevant

Last edited:

Kip Smithers

Smash Rookie
Oh man that would be so hard. I haven't played a lot of the players recently, and I know everyone is improving fast. I would start the list something like:

1. Kip Smithers :falcomelee::drmario: & Wackid :sheikmelee:
2. Irrelevant

Now knux.....we both know your name should be first lol.

Top Bottom