• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have always loved Waluigi. What i have not apprieciated is his lack of appearances in the normal Mario/Wario continuities.

I predicted him from the first time I saw Wario. i mean come on Luigi fans, help me out when I say, how fair is it that Mario not only gets to save that hott princess from a Turtle dragon, and has a rival who looks like him? Waluigi and Daisy type characters were bound to happen for Luigi at some point(but jesus god do i hate Daisy).

Since his initial appearance, I've seen Waluigi team up with Wario to cause both Mario and Luigi trouble. When brawl comes I dont want to see Mario fighting Wario while Luigi is just standing to the side idley, waiting for yet another chance to jump out of his brothers shadow! And that is exactly Waluigi's significance, he brings much needed light onto the character of Luigi.

So, yeah. Once they confirm Luigi, and they will, I'm expecting ( and very much hoping for) the confirmation of Waluigi. It is time he breaks into the light.

On a side note I really really really hope the begin to put Waluigi in games with Wario. They really do compliment each other, even when the Mario Bros arent around. I mean just last night I play Super Mario Strikers and Mario Kart : Double Dash. those two just make me giggle.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Coming from a neutral perspective towards Waluigi, and speaking from the perspective of a designer... I would have to say that Waluigi has a decent chance of getting in.

Thinking about the game and attempting to make it balanced (Recall how they had to "fix" the top characters from the original SSB64?), I think that Waluigi, as a blank-state "random" character has a good chance of providing a certain play style to balance other characters out, depending on who they add.

I've not played many of the games with Waluigi in them (or I don't recall them), but I think that brawl could indeed be Waluigi's chance to shine and define a distinct "personality" to him, other than the insubstantial tidbits that have been divulged so far of him. I believe Sinistar hit on a great idea there in his moveset list, having Waluigi "represent" the Mario Party series' trademark randomness - with MKDS in mind, I can see Waluigi be big on the gambling thing. Taking that route, Waluigi could be made into something like a fast, weak character with range who looks for attacks that have a chance of doing big damage, like a Luigi misfire. On the other hand, Waluigi has his undenyable Wrecking Crew history to give him potential - Going on that premise, I could see him filling the role of a hard-to-control character, sort of like the Ice Climbers, who has above average strength. Either way, Waluigi has backgrounds to draw from (even if they are scant) to inspire a moveset; it would be like a repeat of Falcon/Fox(/Falco)

Given that Waluigi's entire history (and personality) is incomplete, as well the final character list for Brawl, he could very well end up in their with a moveset to balance out the game, depending on the final character choices. (Yet, also speaking from a technical point of view, Waluigi has at best a 50/50 chance with this type of situation; if I were deciding on characters for Brawl, I would try to represent series properly first before changing around characters to make the game balanced.)

Also, as an aside, now that I think about it... construction site background, an interest in money/gambling and a penchance for evil... ****, is that screaming "ties to the mob" to anyone else?

Edit: Fox_Rocks, I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet or not, but you're missing a back aerial in your movelistings.

FSLMJM

Smash Journeyman
I'm one of those people who actually likes Waluigi a lot. I used him in Mario Tennis 64, I used him in Mario Party 3, 4, 5 and 6 (didn't play 7), use him in Mario Kart DS and Double Dash, etc. Waluigi will be a sure shoe-in for SSBB. The way I see it, they'll pull the old "Well, we've got Mario, Luigi and Wario... may as well put Waluigi in."
Reading that post just made me into a Waluigi supporter. All 4 of them should make it in because they can make one Event match that can have the Mario Bros vs the Wario Bros fighting each other. I actually think he should be in Brawl. :)

Lu-Gi-Oh!

Smash Apprentice
Reading that post just made me into a Waluigi supporter. All 4 of them should make it in because they can make one Event match that can have the Mario Bros vs the Wario Bros fighting each other. I actually think he should be in Brawl. :)
To be perfectly honest, that's really the ONLY REASON why I, personally, support Waluigi.

Well, actually, there are a couple of other of small reasons, but that's mostly it. I mean, seriously, since Waluigi's creation, who wouldn't want to see Mario Bros. vs. Wario Bros in an actual fight? (Which has been long overdue, IMO)

Jorgito

Smash Rookie
Hi there. I've liked Waluigi since I first saw him, and support him for Brawl.

I think since his personality is based on mischief and being underhanded, his moveset should reflect that. He's also got a Wrecking Crew theme going, since his kart is an excavator and his DDR song is a remix of the Bonus Level theme from Wrecking Crew. So anyways, here's my idea for his B moves: (cuz who likes to do the A moves?)

B - Waluigi Windup - Waluigi winds up a punch, rotating his entire arm completely outstretched, so it looks comical. If this attack isn't performed at full charge, Waluigi winds up like a baseball pitcher and throws a haymaker with very long horizontal range, and horizontal knockback. Not necessarily weak, but you get the idea. If it IS done at full charge, he winds up in the same style, but instead stretches one leg out horizontally, and with a big overhead swing pitches a Bob-Omb forward at a slightly downward angle. If the opponent is hit by the leg stretch, they get knocked a set distance so the Bob-Omb hits them dead-on. (unless they drop to a lower level or something.) The Bob-Omb should be weaker than a real one, but stronger than Link's bombs, since it's a charge attack. You decide if it should be storeable. Also, I think the Bob-Omb should spike. Just picture it in action... :D

B> - Punch-O-Matic - Waluigi takes out an extending boxing glove, and proceeds to use it to the full extent. The glove deals more damage and knockback the closer your opponent is to Waluigi, since the more it extends the slower the glove goes. If it hits the opponent, the glove retracts immediately, but if it doesn't, there's lag. Bowser Bomb lag. But the move can be used to grapple the side of the stage, like the Hookshot, so it's not useless. If it grapples the stage, instead of hanging straight down like Link or Samus, the extending part of the boxing glove bends at an angle and launches Waluigi upwards really high.

Bv - Mischief Mirage - Waluigi poofs into a cloud of smoke. Then, tucked into a cannonball position, he bounds out of the smoke in a direction of your choice. (he flies high enough to avoid most ground attacks, this is intended as a dodging move.) At the same time, an eggplant flies out of the smoke in the opposite direction of Waluigi, and since they're both purple-ish, your opponent is temporarily confused. (you hope) Should the eggplant hit someone, it only deals 1% damage, but splatters all over the opponent so it's funny to you and insulting to them. They got hit with an eggplant. XD

B^ - Wallet Wallop - Waluigi crouches down completely, sticking his *** out and extending his arms upwards. After half a second of lag, he rockets upwards in the same fashion as Mario and Luigi's B^, revealing springs under his shoes. He goes twice as far as Mario or Luigi, though, and lands a single hit which robs the opponent of tons of coins and has vertical knockback. He can't do this while airborne, however, since the springs have no effect. Instead, he goes into the jumping stance and the springs deploy, but they act as a meteor smash. Not practical or useful, but cool. Like a tauntspike. :D

Super Smash - Waluigi appears in a Wrecking Ball machine (in the background or however) and drives the ball through the stage several times, damaging his opponents heavily and destroying any destructable parts of the stage.

Taunt - The eye gleam...*psycho*

Tell me what you think. :)

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think Waluigi "deserves" to be in Brawl by my own arbitrary personal definition of "deserve", but I've seen several casual videogamers (IE, the type that doesn't spend so much time on message boards for games that aren't going to be released in almost a year and haven't had any actual new news for them in months like Smash Brothers Brawl) say "Hey, Waluigi's going to be in Brawl too, right?"

For all his "filler", the guy probably has more "casual gamer" clout than the hardcore (hardcore enough to waste times on the forums like this, me included) gamers give him credit for. Maybe being "just filler" is simply something the actual average casual Nintendo fan doesn't care about or something. I guess when they're having fun playing Mario Kart and seeing how well Waluigi complements Wario as an opposite to Mario and Luigi, the term "filler" doesn't even really exist.

Not that Nintendo seems to be smart enough to cash in on such things by finally actually including Waluigi in an actual Wario game for once (be it Wario Ware or Wario Land)

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
^I know. maybe they are letting his name be spread before permanently gluing Waluigi to Wario's hip. they should probably just make a new series, " The Wario Bros" or something to that effect. I mean Wario Land and Wario Ware are great game series, so why build on that instead of trying something new?

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't really see how "new" a Wario Bros. series could be between Wario Land and Mario Bros. Both are already platformers that work hard to differentiate themselves from each other (and Yoshi's Island and Super Princess Peach). So when Wario already has a platformer series in Wario Land, trying to make another platformer series and keep it new seems kinda... redundant and difficult.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah man think about it. What do you do in Mario Bros games? you jump, a lot. tmostly to defeat your enemies or hit blocks and stuff. but a Wario Bros game would be something else entirely!

Wario and Waluigi, well they are douche bags. We know Wario uses his insane strength to demolish tons of wea klittle creatures to get his way, but what would Waluigi do? he's just a sneaky as Wario and probably a lot more resourceful. He just looks like a guy who wouldnt lose a fight. He loves to gloat.

Thats more than enough of a reason to put him in a series with Wario, let alone bring him to brawl. He'd lay the beat down on Fox or Kirby or Snake, and then rub their face in it!

If there is one thing I want in the Smash Bros Games, it's development of the personality of the little known characters such as C. falcon or Ness or Samus. Waluigi is a known bragger, and that could be exploited in so many ways in the ring.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
After careful consideration, I've come to decide that there is one condition that, if met, would convince me that Waluigi would be a worthwhile addition to Brawl. Said condition being that the developers give him a new character design that more closely matches Wario's biker outfit. The way I see it, Waluigi is Wario's answer to Luigi, not the other way around. And with Wario repping his Ware series, it would seem unlikely that a character more closely tied to the Mario side of Wario would make it in. But, if Waluigi were to appear as he would if he were ever in Wario Ware, then that would be a different story altogether.

Lu-Gi-Oh!

Smash Apprentice
After careful consideration, I've come to decide that there is one condition that, if met, would convince me that Waluigi would be a worthwhile addition to Brawl. Said condition being that the developers give him a new character design that more closely matches Wario's biker outfit. The way I see it, Waluigi is Wario's answer to Luigi, not the other way around. And with Wario repping his Ware series, it would seem unlikely that a character more closely tied to the Mario side of Wario would make it in. But, if Waluigi were to appear as he would if he were ever in Wario Ware, then that would be a different story altogether.
Actually, I hear that Waluigi IS in the latest WarioWare game, AND with a WarioWare style outfit. However, it's just a cameo in a couple of minigames. So I guess he could technically get in repping WarioWare...maybe.:ohwell:

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
It never happened, Hidden Tiger. Waluigi has never been seen in a WarioWare game.

Waluigi is a non-character, whose sole purpose in life is to be a doubles partner for Wario in Tennis. There is no justification for his existence in Brawl. Of course they could make up a moveset, or just clone him from Wario and Ware him up a little, but there are characters with more merit.

GameFreaking

BRoomer
BRoomer
It never happened, Hidden Tiger. Waluigi has never been seen in a WarioWare game.

Waluigi is a non-character, whose sole purpose in life is to be a doubles partner for Wario in Tennis.

i disagree. Waluigi is more than just a partner for Wario in tennis.

He compliments Luigi's personality just as much as he does Wario's.

Luigi needs Waluigi, because by saying Waluigi is not needed, you're saying Luigi's character doesnt require any countercharacters to revolve around the personality of Luigi. Who says Mario get's to have the princess girlfriend and the archenemy and the rival and Luigi merely is known as Mario's brother for all of gaming history? NO. Luigi has needed to step out from behind Mario for years and this is his chance to do so. He has a girlfriend(Daisy, God i hate her. but she is nesscary) and now he has a foe of his very own. One who complments his own superior(to Mario) intellect by being so **** crafty and sneaky. Mario get's to throw down with his rival in the ring, and Luigi should take out those violent transgressions he's been harboring since Mario Tennis 64 too.

Wario needs Waluigi because with out him, Wario has little depth as well. sure he's a money grubbing muscle bound douche bag, but who else is on Wario's side? Mario's got all these freaking friends that show up to play tennis or golf or baseball or soccer or anything with him! who does Wario have. ta-da! Waluigi! a friend is born! Waluigi is Wario's perfect answer to Mario's Luigi. In no way do ends not meet. Mario's the leader, Wario's the leader; Luigis got the smarts, Waluigis a crafty one; Mario and Luigi have jump related moves, Wario breaks things while Waluigi??? no one knows yet but they should(and I still think they will) put him in this game and show the world how needed he is.

Done.

GenG

Smash Lord
Seriously, Luigi doesn't need to be the alter Mario with "a girlfriend" or "a bad guy who looks suspiciously like him". In recent games like Luigi's Mansion or Mario & Luigi he developed more personality than Waluigi could ever achieve. Luigi has its own original adventures, like Yoshi, not "I'm Mario's copycat". That's not Luigi.
Wario doesn't need Waluigi. Wario is THE NEMESIS of nemesis, parody of parodies, a thief who mess with pirates, invincible, incredibly strong, wicked enough to make himself rich by building a videogame company which developes cheap games... the modern act of thievery you could say. And he has better sidekicks in the Wario Ware games. Wario was the IRD1 mascot during the GB era and was IRD1 (now known as IS) who gave him worthy and distinctive friends.

Walugi the crafty one? I've never seen Waluigi craft anything. He is just as lame, one of the lamest characters ever made by Nintendo and its purpose in the Mario universe hasn't been decided after 8 YEARS.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Like you said, Waluigi really has no backstory about him. He was only filler in spinoff games and not much is said about his interests or personallity. Therefore, that COULD give the Smash creators enough of a blank slate to mold Waluigi to anyway they wanted. And as much as I love Sakurai's creative and ingenius brain, I don't feel it's his place to "create" Waluigi. Nintendo needs to put him in a couple legitamit Mario games (meaning: ones with storylines), giving this Waluigi character some shape or form on his own. All we know about Waluigi is that he's Wario's brother, he's kind of a jerk, he 'can' drive a go-kart, play tennis, baseball, soccer, basketball, and golf, also he can party and dance. Big whoop... so can anyone else in the Mario Universe... Sorry Wally, but you best make a name for yourself before we let you in our beloved Smash games. You generic Mario villain/spinoff game spot filler/second rate character, you.

Lu-Gi-Oh!

Smash Apprentice

Waluigi is a non-character, whose sole purpose in life is to be a doubles partner for Wario in Tennis. There is no justification for his existence in Brawl. Of course they could make up a moveset, or just clone him from Wario and Ware him up a little, but there are characters with more merit.

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!!!!!

Of course, this doesn't prove that he's going to be in or anything, but I do got my facts straight.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Could just be a skinny Wario. If you notice, the yellow, green, red, AND blue characters all look like Wario and are dressed identically. The yellow guy looks like an exact Wario characture, the red guy looks more like a clean-cut Wario, the green guy looks like a messed up red guy, and if you ask me, I say the blue guy is just a tall version of Wario. And beyond that, Waluigi has a STRAIGHT mustache... Wario has a ZIG-ZAG mustache... All I see here are zig-zags...

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was Waluigi at first, but the mustache thing makes it reasonably evident that it's just a tall skinny Wario.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Let's look at some reasons why some of you do not want Waluigi.

Waluigi is a filler character.

Luigi was a filler character when he first appeared, and was created so two people could play.

Waluigi is an idiot.

You don't need to take an IQ test to make it in Brawl.

Waluigi has no personality.

Are you FREAKING kidding me? Waluigi is rude, innappropriate, cocky, he always cheats, hates pretty much everyone but Wario, rude, arrogant, impatient and greedy. Mario's personality? Umm...he's a plumber who jumps on things.

Waluigi has only appeared in Mario spin-off games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dr. Mario a spin-off? And Waluigi was mentioned in "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door." Well, not really, but his suit can be worn. That still counts as a cameo, right? Right? <_< And don't forget that Waluigi was in GAME AND WATCH GALLERY 4 for the GBA.

Waluigi would just be a Wario clone.

How can you make a tall and skinny guy a clone of a fat and short guy?

Waluigi's first appearence was in "Mario Tennis."

Why does that matter? Roy didn't even appear in ANY game before "Melee!"

Waluigi is just Wario's sidekick/partner.

Isn't Luigi Mario's sidekick/partner? (Except for Mario is Missing and Luigi's Mansion, of course.) And...wait a minute...have you guys forgotten that Waluigi appeared in Mario Tennis: Power Tour for the GBA WITHOUT Wario?

Waluigi has not been in any major role in any Mario or Wario games.

They may not be in the MAIN Mario series, but Waluigi has been important in Mario Party 3 and Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. They're still Mario games. And why do you need to have a major role to be in Brawl? And don't forget, it took years for Luigi to get his own game. (I don't count Mario is Missing because it wasn't that good and no one carees about it. >_>)

Waluigi has no backstory.
You need a backstory to be in Brawl? I don't think so.

Waluigi is unoriginal.

Well, Wario wasn't very original at first. A bunch of video games, movies, TV shows, etc. had an "evil clone" like rival for the main character. Wario was one of them. Just take Mario, change his personality, make him fat, yellow, purple and a new mustache and you have Wario.

Waluigi has an unoriginal name.

[sarcastic]Man, that's a really good idea to hate Waluigi.[/sarcastic]

Wikipedia said:
Waluigi's name has a dual-meaning in Japanese. The Japanese word "warui" (???) means "bad" or "evil". This means that Waluigi's name is a portmanteau of "warui" and "Luigi", essentially meaning "Evil Luigi". Similarly, "Ruiji" (the Japanese pronunciation of "Luigi") means "analogous" or "copy"; giving Waluigi's name the double-meaning of "Evil Copy". Additionally, the name Waluigi would be pronounced in Japanese as waruiji, which rearranges the syllables of ijiwaru, the Japanese word for "mean-spirited".
And how about reasons why Waluigi SHOULD be in Brawl:

1. We can finally have a fight between all four brothers.
2. We don't have enough extremely tall and skinny characters.
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq1nfqmOGFQ That could be Waluigi's taunt (and possibly bring the rating to "T." >_>
4. Waluigi would have a cool moveset. Don't forget that he's appeared in almost every single Mario spin-off game, and his moves can involve that. He's had lots of special moves in many of those games. They could be part of him moveset.
5. Just to support what I just said about his possible moveset, Waluigi likes bob-ombs and Pirahna plants. Just think about it. His super move can be something like Waluigi driving around in his kart dropping Pirhana Plants to bite everyone and exploding Bob-ombs. That would be nice.

And don't forget about this moveset.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1549793#post1549793

There's more reasons why he should be in the game. I just can't remember them now...

And to the Anti-Waluigi guys...you better come up with better reasons why Waluigi shouldn't be in the game.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Sure. We seem to want the same characters in Brawl.

But who is Takamaru?

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Anti-Waluigi person says...

Let's look at some reasons why some of you do not want Waluigi.
Okay.

Waluigi is a filler character.

Luigi was a filler character when he first appeared, and was created so two people could play.
Luigi was an essential side kick to Mario, the main character of a game. Waluigi was made for a partner of a non-main character in a sports game. ;)

Waluigi has only appeared in Mario spin-off games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dr. Mario a spin-off? And Waluigi was mentioned in "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door." Well, not really, but his suit can be worn. That still counts as a cameo, right? Right? <_< And don't forget that Waluigi was in GAME AND WATCH GALLERY 4 for the GBA.
None of those roles are major. Dr. Mario starred in one or two games.

Waluigi's first appearence was in "Mario Tennis."

Why does that matter? Roy didn't even appear in ANY game before "Melee!"
Yes, but Roy was getting a major role in a game in Japan, while Waluigi was getting... a minor role... in a minor game...

Waluigi has not been in any major role in any Mario or Wario games.

They may not be in the MAIN Mario series, but Waluigi has been important in Mario Party 3 and Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. They're still Mario games. And why do you need to have a major role to be in Brawl? And don't forget, it took years for Luigi to get his own game. (I don't count Mario is Missing because it wasn't that good and no one carees about it. >_>)
Luigi was in SMB2 and a bunch of other games before Brawl. Once again, MP3 and DDR: MM were minor games in which Waluigi had non-Major roles. Brawl is supposed to be for Nintendo All Stars. :p

Waluigi has no backstory.
You need a backstory to be in Brawl? I don't think so.
It helps!

Waluigi is unoriginal.

Well, Wario wasn't very original at first. A bunch of video games, movies, TV shows, etc. had an "evil clone" like rival for the main character. Wario was one of them. Just take Mario, change his personality, make him fat, yellow, purple and a new mustache and you have Wario.
Wario's character gradually grew, especially with his persona of greed. Wario Lands, Wariowares, etc. gave him character. Waluigi is naughty and selfish, but not as interesting as Waluigi.

Waluigi has an unoriginal name.

[sarcastic]Man, that's a really good idea to hate Waluigi.[/sarcastic]
:D

And how about reasons why Waluigi SHOULD be in Brawl:

1. We can finally have a fight between all four brothers.
2. We don't have enough extremely tall and skinny characters.
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq1nfqmOGFQ That could be Waluigi's taunt (and possibly bring the rating to "T." >_>
4. Waluigi would have a cool moveset. Don't forget that he's appeared in almost every single Mario spin-off game, and his moves can involve that. He's had lots of special moves in many of those games. They could be part of him moveset.
5. Just to support what I just said about his possible moveset, Waluigi likes bob-ombs and Pirahna plants. Just think about it. His super move can be something like Waluigi driving around in his kart dropping Pirhana Plants to bite everyone and exploding Bob-ombs. That would be nice.
1. Waluigi has never 100% been confirmed to be Wario's brother.
2. Do we need them?
3. That's a horrible reason for him to be in. :urg:
4. Almost anyone could have a really cool moveset, including all of the pokemon.
5. It might be cool, but not noteworthy.

And don't forget about this moveset.

There's more reasons why he should be in the game. I just can't remember them now...
Like I said, anyone can have a moveset... A character could just be captain falcon-ed and given a made up moveset... So movesets are pointless points. (lol.)

I'm sure the points will be counter-pointable.

And to the Anti-Waluigi guys...you better come up with better reasons why Waluigi shouldn't be in the game.
:laugh:

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Luigi was an essential side kick to Mario, the main character of a game. Waluigi was made for a partner of a non-main character in a sports game. ;)
Luigi wasn't an essential side kick at first. He was made so two people can play.
None of those roles are major. Dr. Mario starred in one or two games.
You're missing the point. I was saying that the Dr. Mario games are spin-offs.
Yes, but Roy was getting a major role in a game in Japan, while Waluigi was getting... a minor role... in a minor game... Luigi was in SMB2 and a bunch of other games before Brawl. Once again, MP3 and DDR: MM were minor games in which Waluigi had non-Major roles. Brawl is supposed to be for Nintendo All Stars. :p
I don't understand why characters need to be in a major role to be in Brawl. Most characters are added because they are popular characters. And if Waluigi had a tiny amount of fans, how is this thread still active? Waluigi has a lot of supporters.
It helps!
Most of the characters in Melee have no backstory.
Wario's character gradually grew, especially with his persona of greed. Wario Lands, Wariowares, etc. gave him character. Waluigi is naughty and selfish, but not as interesting as Waluigi.
First of all, what? And second, you only named two of Waluigi's traits. What about Wario? He's greedy, manipulative, and farts. Can you think of anything else?
Sarcasm...
1. Waluigi has never 100% been confirmed to be Wario's brother.
2. Do we need them?
3. That's a horrible reason for him to be in. :urg:
4. Almost anyone could have a really cool moveset, including all of the pokemon.
5. It might be cool, but not noteworthy.
1. Looks at the Mario Kart DS website.
2. We need many different kinds of characters in Brawl. What, do you hate tall and skinny people, or something?
3. Crotch Chop FTW. >_>
4. Yes, I admit that. But of course all of the Pokemon would have good movesets. They all have attacks in the Pokemon games. Except Metapod...
5. AHA! YOU ADMIT THAT IT WOULD BE COOL!
Like I said, anyone can have a moveset... A character could just be captain falcon-ed and given a made up moveset... So movesets are pointless points. (lol.)
Exactly. The developers are very creative. But why did they make Ganondorf a clone of CF? :confused:

I'm sure the points will be counter-pointable.
Yup.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...why are we laughing?

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Point, Counterpoint!

I don't understand why characters need to be in a major role to be in Brawl. Most characters are added because they are popular characters. And if Waluigi had a tiny amount of fans, how is this thread still active? Waluigi has a lot of supporters.
I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do this, but I'll go through every Mario character showing how they are major. :ohwell:

Mario: Main character
Luigi: 2nd most main character
Peach: Damsel in Distress
Bowser: Main Villian
DK: Mario's first enemy; has his own franchise
Yoshi: Has many games; Mario's friend
Wario: Mario's rival
Waluigi: Mario's brother's rival or Mario's rival's brother. :D :laugh: :chuckle:

Most of the characters in Melee have no backstory.
Must I do this again?

Mario: Plumber, hero, otherwise ordainry person.
Pikachu: An electric mouse that fights against other creatures
Link: A hero that can wield a sword, bow, etc. to save a kingdom.
Kirby: A vacuuming creature who takes his enemy's abillities and uses them to save his planet.
Samus: A bounty hunter armed with a cybernetic power suit who hunts aliens while attempting to complete missions given by the Galactic Federation.
Fox: A fox that pilots his Arwing to save the Lylat system.
Captain Falcon: A bounty hunter who enjoys racing in futuristic vehicles
Ness: A quiet boy who has super powers turns into a hero...
DK: A monkey who must defeat evil lizards
Yoshi: A dinosaur who uses eggs to save babies.

Well, this is getting boring, so I will stop. But I think I've made my point.

First of all, what? And second, you only named two of Waluigi's traits. What about Wario? He's greedy, manipulative, and farts. Can you think of anything else?
Wario is a very complicated character. He is sometimes the villian and sometimes a hero. He has starred in many games, including the WarioWare series, Wario World, and the Wario Land series. Don't forget about when he co-starred with Bomberman! Lol, jk.

1. Looks at the Mario Kart DS website.
2. We need many different kinds of characters in Brawl. What, do you hate tall and skinny people, or something?
3. Crotch Chop FTW. >_>
4. Yes, I admit that. But of course all of the Pokemon would have good movesets. They all have attacks in the Pokemon games. Except Metapod...
5. AHA! YOU ADMIT THAT IT WOULD BE COOL!
1. What is so good about 'the 4 brothers' fighting it out? To proove which one is the strongest? Kirby was stronger than Mario in SSB64, but that doesn't mean he is stronger in 'real life'...
2. No, I'm tall and skinny myself. But do we really need more tall and skinny people? Please don't tell me that there is going to be a need for people with a cleft chin...
3. Uh... no!
4. It has been proven that almost ANYONE could be given a moveset.
5. Cool ≠ Probable for Brawl. Sorry.

Exactly. The developers are very creative. But why did they make Ganondorf a clone of CF? :confused:
Hopefully there will be less clones in Brawl.

I was referring to your points.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...why are we laughing?
So anyway, here are some MORE reasons why Waluigi shouldn't be in.

1. Wario has just been added. Does he REALLY need friend/ally/brother yet? Don't think so.
2. More deserving charcters such as Toad and maybe even Bowser Jr.
3. We're trying to limit Mario related characters. And I know that Waluigi will probably be put with Wario's symbol if he's in, but he's still conected to Mario.

Digi is done.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do this, but I'll go through every Mario character showing how they are major. :ohwell:

Mario: Main character
Luigi: 2nd most main character
Peach: Damsel in Distress
Bowser: Main Villian
DK: Mario's first enemy; has his own franchise
Yoshi: Has many games; Mario's friend
Wario: Mario's rival
Waluigi: Mario's brother's rival or Mario's rival's brother. :D :laugh: :chuckle:
What was the point of that?
Must I do this again?

Mario: Plumber, hero, otherwise ordainry person.
Pikachu: An electric mouse that fights against other creatures
Link: A hero that can wield a sword, bow, etc. to save a kingdom.
Kirby: A vacuuming creature who takes his enemy's abillities and uses them to save his planet.
Samus: A bounty hunter armed with a cybernetic power suit who hunts aliens while attempting to complete missions given by the Galactic Federation.
Fox: A fox that pilots his Arwing to save the Lylat system.
Captain Falcon: A bounty hunter who enjoys racing in futuristic vehicles
Ness: A quiet boy who has super powers turns into a hero...
DK: A monkey who must defeat evil lizards
Yoshi: A dinosaur who uses eggs to save babies.

Well, this is getting boring, so I will stop. But I think I've made my point.
Nope. You said WHAT THEY ARE. Those are not backstories. Those are DESCRIPTIONS.
Wario is a very complicated character. He is sometimes the villian and sometimes a hero. He has starred in many games, including the WarioWare series, Wario World, and the Wario Land series. Don't forget about when he co-starred with Bomberman! Lol, jk.
So..being the villain AND the hero makes him complicated? Ok... And how does having all of those games make him a "complicated character?"
1. What is so good about 'the 4 brothers' fighting it out? To proove which one is the strongest? Kirby was stronger than Mario in SSB64, but that doesn't mean he is stronger in 'real life'...
2. No, I'm tall and skinny myself. But do we really need more tall and skinny people? Please don't tell me that there is going to be a need for people with a cleft chin...
3. Uh... no!
4. It has been proven that almost ANYONE could be given a moveset.
5. Cool ? Probable for Brawl. Sorry.
1. Well, that would be nice to see. Like watchin Mario and Sonic giht. Of course, a "brother fight" wouldn't be as exciting, but I would like to see what would happen.
2. We don't even HAVE any EXTREMELY tall and skinny characters. I can't think of any. How would having tall people in Brawl be bad?
3. Well, it's better than just drinking milk.
4. ...I actually agreed with that earlier. Except Metapod, of course.
5. But you still said cool...
Hopefully there will be less clones in Brawl.
Agreed, but since that the developers have been given more time, we probably won't see any. Hopefully.
I was referring to your points.
Same with yours.

So anyway, here are some MORE reasons why Waluigi shouldn't be in.

1. Wario has just been added. Does he REALLY need friend/ally/brother yet? Don't think so.
2. More deserving charcters such as Toad and maybe even Bowser Jr.
3. We're trying to limit Mario related characters. And I know that Waluigi will probably be put with Wario's symbol if he's in, but he's still conected to Mario.
1. Oh, then at that case, let's not add Luigi, Falco, Krystal, and other friends and allies.
2. Bowser JR.???? I'd rather have one of the Kooplings.
3. Then take out a few Mario characters like Dr. Mario. Or maybe he would be a Wario related character, although that is unlikely.
Digi is done.
No, you are not, my friend.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
What was the point of that?

All the characters I listed (except for Waluigi of course) are major, and they are in Brawl. Obvioulsy it is important to be major.

Nope. You said WHAT THEY ARE. Those are not backstories. Those are DESCRIPTIONS.

Most characters DO have a backstory. Except for maybe Pichu, and that is one of the reasons why the pokemon is so unpopular.

So..being the villain AND the hero makes him complicated? Ok... And how does having all of those games make him a "complicated character?"

I was more going for the interesting complicated than the confusing complicated. He has developed a personality.

1. Well, that would be nice to see. Like watchin Mario and Sonic giht. Of course, a "brother fight" wouldn't be as exciting, but I would like to see what would happen.

Of course it matters who is the better player, what stats they gave each character, etc. So you can't really see who is stronger. I'd much rather see Toad kick Bowser's butt. :D

2. We don't even HAVE any EXTREMELY tall and skinny characters. I can't think of any. How would having tall people in Brawl be bad?

Well, there is Link. Having them isn't bad... its just not needed.

3. Well, it's better than just drinking milk.

4. ...I actually agreed with that earlier. Except Metapod, of course.

yup.

5. But you still said cool...

Pac-man is cool, Naruto is cool, but they won't be playable in Brawl.

Agreed, but since that the developers have been given more time, we probably won't see any. Hopefully.

Same with yours.

1. Oh, then at that case, let's not add Luigi, Falco, Krystal, and other friends and allies.

Wario is not one of the most major players. Mario is. So he gets more characters right away, such as Luigi. Fox is less major, so he got characters in the 2nd game. So Wario, who imo is less important than Fox, could get Waluigi in a different game. But in this game, in which Wario appears for the first time in, Waluigi doesn't have a chance.

2. Bowser JR.???? I'd rather have one of the Kooplings.

I don't like him myself (Toad is my man) but at least he had a large role in Sunshine.

3. Then take out a few Mario characters like Dr. Mario. Or maybe he would be a Wario related character, although that is unlikely.

I agree that Dr. Mario should be axed.

No, you are not, my friend.

I was done for that post.
And now I'm done with this one.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
You still haven't explained WHY or how being major will get you in Brawl.

All right. But what is Wario's back story? What's Pikachu's? What's Mr. Game and Watch's? Ice Climbers? Pit? (I've nver played Kid Icarus, so I know nothing about him.)

And Waluigi has developed a personality. And how is Wario an..."interesting complicated" character?

Heh..Toad beating Bowser. Now that, I would like to see.

Is Link EXTREMELY tall and skinny? Is he physically like Waluigi?

And I meant that doing...you know as Waluigi's taunt is better than Young Link's taunt. Drinking milk. Wow.

And Pac-Man has a big chance. namco and Nintendo have been doing many games together. Pac-Man was in Mario Kart Arcade and Mario (well, just hsi voice) was in Pac-Man Vs.

Wario is not one of the most major players. Mario is. So he gets more characters right away, such as Luigi. Fox is less major, so he got characters in the 2nd game. So Wario, who imo is less important than Fox, could get Waluigi in a different game. But in this game, in which Wario appears for the first time in, Waluigi doesn't have a chance
I didn't understand any of that. Being important in one game will NOT GET YOU IN ANOTHER GAME.

And just because Bowser Jr. had a major role in Sunshine doesn't mean that he'll be added. If no one wants him in the game, he won't be added.

And yes, Dr. Mario must go.

I ready for your counterpoints of my counterpoints.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
If he gets in, he will probably just end up being a Luigi clone.

Wario is not one of the most major players. Mario is. So he gets more characters right away, such as Luigi. Fox is less major, so he got characters in the 2nd game. So Wario, who imo is less important than Fox, could get Waluigi in a different game. But in this game, in which Wario appears for the first time in, Waluigi doesn't have a chance
Red Maniac, I actually understand and agree with this. First of all, there are already way too many mario characters, imo. Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Now with Wario that is six. Unless they drop some or plan on having as much as 35-40 characters, I don't think they should include Waluigi. If he gets in then Luigi has to stay because Luigi is way more important than Waluigi. And since they are both tall and skinny and from the same game series, Nintendo will make them clones, thus pretty much making one the useless not-as-good character. Waluigi has never been in a Mario game with an actual plot, and besides, what moves could he use? He's never been in a fighting game before, so making up B moves would be completely random. I say make Luigi more independant, thus making Mairo and Luigi not clones, make wario independant, and not even bringt Waluigi into the picture.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I'll counterpoint tomorrow....

To make this not off topic.... A good taunt will not get you in Brawl.
I'm not saying that it will. I just wanted to post that...
If he gets in, he will probably just end up being a Luigi clone.
But Luigi and Waluigi are different physically.
Red Maniac, I actually understand and agree with this. First of all, there are already way too many mario characters, imo. Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser.
Then they should remove a few.
Now with Wario that is six.
Wario is a WARIO character. He has a different logo and is wearing his WarioWare attire.
Unless they drop some or plan on having as much as 35-40 characters, I don't think they should include Waluigi. If he gets in then Luigi has to stay because Luigi is way more important than Waluigi.
Why would they remove Luigi?
And since they are both tall and skinny and from the same game series, Nintendo will make them clones, thus pretty much making one the useless not-as-good character.
Like I said earlier, the developers have MORE TIME so I doubt that they'll be ANY clones at all.
Waluigi has never been in a Mario game with an actual plot, and besides, what moves could he use? He's never been in a fighting game before, so making up B moves would be completely random.
DDR: Mario Mix may have been a spin-off, but it's still a Mario game, and Waluigi had a major role. And C. Falcon and Fox had never been in a fighting game, and THEY had really good movesets! Read this thread. There have been many good movesets thought of.
I say make Luigi more independant, thus making Mairo and Luigi not clones, make wario independant, and not even bringt Waluigi into the picture.
What does that mean?

And you're just bringing up old arguements and points.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Let me help out digi here. I too am against Waluigi.
Here's the backstory of EVERY CHARACTER in Melee (in the order of them on the character selection screen):

Doctor Mario: He's Mario, except a doctor who he saved the lives of millions with his miracle pills... IMO he was a bad decision to be put in the game but at least he STARRED in 3 games.

Mario: Has a basic premise for every one of his games (almost): Basically, he's the plumber/lover/unofficial-bodyguard of the princess of Mushroom Kingdom. He rescues her countless times. For a good backstory check out "Super Mario 64"

Luigi: The brother of Mario, has appeared in litterally every game Mario has been in (I think). The world's biggest wuss but he's always willing to look out for his brother and help him whenever he's in trouble. For a good backstory check out "Luigi's Mansion"

Bowser: For the most part, he is the main villain of basically every Super Mario game. He has this crazy lust for Peach, or maybe he just wants to eat her? For a good backstory check out "Super Mario RPG"

Peach: Mario's woman. If she wasn't around, Mario pretty much wouldn't have a reason to live and he would probably still be a virgin. That, and Mushroom Kingdom would be without rule. For a good backstory check out "Super Princess Peach"

Yoshi: Adorably fierce, yet gentle beast inhabiting Yoshi's island. Willing to risk it's own neck for Mario or the rest of the Yoshis. For a good backstory check out "Yoshi's Story"

DK: Protector of Kongo Jungle. Keeping the reptilian scum out of his home for all the Kongs. For a good backstory check out "Donkey Kong Country"

Captain Falcon: Part time F-Zero racer, full time bounty hunter. For a good backstory check out "F-Zero GX"

Ganondorf: Represents all that is evil and powerful in Hyrule. Spends his days trying to bring ruin to the land and obtain the Triforce for ultimate power. For a good backstory check out "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"

Falco: Fox McCloud's right-hand pilot. Just as skilled as Fox, only a little more arrogant and thick-headed, therefore he has to take a backseat to Fox. And even through their personal differences, he is one of Fox's closest friends and allies, and will always be there to help him out. For a good backstory check out "Starfox: Assault"

Fox: The leader of team Starfox, a freelance group of vigilanties out to protect the Lylat system. Partially trying to stop Andross, partially trying to find or avenge daddy. For a good backstory check out "Starfox 64"

Ness: A telekinetic boy who protects Earth from an alien race bent on total destruction of the planet. For a good backstory check out "Earthbound"

Ice Climbers: They friggin' NEED TO GET UP THAT MOUNTAIN ! ! ! Something about that Pterodactyl just pisses them off. Not much of a backstory, but they starred in their own game!

Kirby: Protector of Dreamland from pure evil/nightmares/the tyranny of King Dedede. Also, he's really really really hungry. For a good backstory check out "Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland"

Samus: Bounty hunter in outer space. Also, by proxy, she protects the innocent by stopping space pirates and killing parasidic Metroids. For a good backstory check out "Metroid: Prime"

Zelda: Princess of Hyrule. Represents all that is good and wise. Without her, Hyrule would be an anarchy. For a good backstory check out "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"

Link/Young Link: The Hero of (ummm... almost every noun in the dictionary). He has too many backstories. But, for a good backstory check out "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"

Pichu: Not much of a backstory on this guy. If you want to get technical, Pikachu was once a Pichu. And I think there was some kind of short before or after a Pokemon movie based on it.

Pikachu: Your loyal companion in Pokemon: Yellow Version, unless you trade him. Also, he has his own t.v. show. For a good backstory check out "Pokemon: Yellow Version"

Jigglypuff: Not much of a backstory in the videogames, but is a recurring character on the t.v. show (was in the first few seasons that I remember, I'm not sure about it anymore. It's been a while since I've watched Pokemon). Also, I think he had his own short before or after a Pokemon movie.

Mewtwo: The ultimate Pokemon creation. An evil clone of the most legendary Pokemon ever, and it's PURE EVIL. Plus, it had its own movie. For a good backstory check out any Pokemon game that you have its data in your pokedex.

Mr. Game & Watch: Not sure, never played any of his games, they were way before my time. But I do know he starred in countless numbers of them.

*I'm getting these next two from Wikipedia*

Marth: Something about him being put in exile, trying to find a sword to save his kingdom... whatever, he has a backstory. For a good backstory check out "Fire Emblem"

Roy: Ok... ummm... Roy was studying... and his dad got called into the army... but he couldn't go because he was sick... so he made his 15year old son, Roy, take his place. Wow... father of the year. Thanks a lot dad. For a good backstory check out "Fire Emblem: Fuin no Tsurugi"

Now for the confirmed Brawl characters:

Meta Knight: Leader of a small faction of huggably cute soldiers called the Meta-Knights. He has been known to fight on the side of evil and the side of good, but he is technically not evil, the poor boy just gets confused sometimes. He's noble and has a sense of justice and loyalty for Dreamland. For a good backstory check out "Kirby & The Amazing Mirror"

Pit: The guardian of the goddess Palutena and leader of her royal bodyguards. Medusa wants to kill Palutena, Pit says "BYOTCH I DON'T THINK SO!!! YOU BETTA RECONIZE!!!" For a good backstory check out "Kid Icarus"

Wario: He's Mario's rival. He also likes money and will venture deep into places he's really not supposed to be to get some. His brother was adopted and is stupid. For a good backstory check out "Warioware: Smooth Moves"

Solid Snake: A special operations agent for FOXHOUND, a secret spy orginization. Regularly goes on secret missions to stop some terrorists from doing bad things. For a good backstory check out "Metal Gear Solid"

OKAY, finally done.
The point of all of this is every character either has a backstory or starred in their own game. The only acceptions are Pichu and Jigglypuff, but they're in a t.v. show. Waluigi has NO BACKSTORY, has starred in NO GAMES, has appeared in ONLY SPINOFFS.

Ummm... WHAT NOW!?!?

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
WHAT NOW?!?!?!

You know, most of those are not back stories, but CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS and just what they did in one game.

Wikipedia said:
In narratology, a back-story (also back story or backstory) is the history behind the situation extant at the start of the main story.
We don't know the history for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS.

And you know when you say, "for a good backstory, check out blah blah blah." Most of those are just games that they appear in. And where did you get the Waluigi is adopted? Yes, Waluigi may be a little stupid, but as i said earlier, you don't need to take an IQ test to get in Brawl.

Yes, Waluigi may not have any full backstory, but why do you need a backstory to be in Brawl? That's like having to tell everything about your life in a job interview or to get accepted in a school. None of you have explained why you need one.

Hmmm... "every character either has a backstory or starred in their own game." Did Meta Knight have his own game? Mewtwo? Jigglypuff? Pichu? Falco? Ganondorf? Peach Bowser?

Also, the Mario series is not like... the Sonic series or Zelda or Metroid. There's no one HUGE storyline. In almost every game, Peach is kidnapped and Mario and/or Luigi saves her. Do they need backstories? Do they have backstories? No. The closest thing to a backstory was the Yoshi's Island series, and it didn't provide us with a backstory except that they...rode on dinosaurs when they were babies...

The point is, you do not, I REPEAT, DO NOT need a backstory to appear in Brawl.

Ummm... WHAT NOW!?!?

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
You missed the part where I said they all either starred in their own game OR has a backstory. Waluigi falls deeply short of both of those categories.

No, you don't need a backstory to be in Smash, but you need some kind of important role. Meta Knight had an important role in Amazing Mirror, Falco has an important role in many Starfox games, Ganondorf has an important role in many Zelda games, Bowser has an important role in many Mario games. And fyi, Peach has starred in her own game.

And you're right, no one specific Mario game has a complete backstory for one character, but they all fit together and I bet if you put the pieces together, you can get a handful of story.

P.S.- Waluigi WAS adopted. He was created by a 2nd party company, Camelot. He was then taken in by Nintendo. So yes, he was "adopted".

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
So you admit that you don't need a backstory. Then why bother bringing it up? Just because MOST (not all) characters either have one or their own game and Waluigi doesn't have a full backstory or his own game doesn't mean that he won't make it. That sounds ridiculous. It's like saying that Mii won't make it because the other characters have ears and the Mii doesn't.

And having an important role will not automatically get you in Brawl. If the chracter is popular enough, he or she will be added.

Why do you think that there was a poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom