• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Falcon was added because he is the main character in a series, Waluigi doesn't have a series so he shouldn't get in on the terms that Brawl can give him a personality

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong said:
Yeah Waluigi appeared in more games. So? A standard StarFox game sells better and is more populair then just another Mario sport. Also Falco is the second guy of the StarFox franchice, like Luigi is to Mario, Diddy Kong is to DK ect ect ect..
Are you sure about that? Don't make claims you can't back up. The Mario Party and Sports games are still some of the best sellers for their consoles. Star Fox Adventures and Assault, conversely, did terrible on the Gamecube for sales. I am positive of this fact. Both Star Fox games have dropped to around 20 to 30 bucks, maybe 40, while the Mario Sports titles still sell full price. That oozes "****, we need to get rid of these games."

Face it: Mario is the biggest franchise they've got, and it's going to get the most rep and the most support from the fanbase. If you went out and started playing Melee with random people, 9 times out of 10 they will know the Mario cast, and immediately start playing as them. How many times have you turned on that game with somebody new and they go "who the hell is Samus" or "Star Fox? That game sucked" or "Who the **** is Martin."

People respond to Mario the easiest, and I'm not saying that it's a great option business wise, but it's a great option fanbase wise. If they were to include the "Good ol' gang" from the Mario games, the game would be more likely to be picked up by, say, some 10 year old kid, or some older gamer who's out of touch. It's great that Smash can introduce people to new franchsies, definitely. It worked that way for me. But face it: my sister never touches anybody outside Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi, and I really really doubt many other people would stray far from that either. Waluigi's just a good choice for a more mainstream game.

Whether or not Brawl is going to cater to that crowd is not definite right now, but you know what I mean.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
But this game isn't about that, it's about mixing a whole bunch of different characters in. Just look at your sig. Like you said though, it all depends on what Nintendo wants to do.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
hi.this is my first day. hmmm...waluigi, huh? i thnk i saw a pictur of him holding a pirahna plant ina pot once...oh well, waluigi would b kinda kool 2 c in ssbb, since it wuld b a new caracter 4 players 2 explor. he culd use bob-ombs or sumthing. and his move set could b new & original, just like soooo many of u hav said. i meen, hes made it in all the sports games, evn if he is just a filler caracter. i say giv em a chance 2 c how he plays, & then dump em in the next game.
p.s. im pretty sure ssbb wont b the last game

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
xianfeng said:
Falcon was added because he is the main character in a series, Waluigi doesn't have a series so he shouldn't get in on the terms that Brawl can give him a personality
...does Luigi have a series? Roy? Marth? Toad? Diddy Kong? K. Rool? And we do know about Waluigi's personality.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Luigi had 2 games(even though one wasn't made by Nintendo)and starred with Mario in all of the Mario side-scrollers, AND was one of the main characters of the Mario and Luigi series, Roy has his own game, Marth had 2 games, Toad was playable in Super Mario 2, Diddy Kong was playable in DK64, K. Rool was the main enemy of DK. Waluigi....is tall, swims in the air, and is ignored by most.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Actually, Luigi had two games.

*EDIT* Technically four if you include the "Mario & Luigi" series, which is half about him.

GenG

Smash Lord
McFox said:
Actually, Luigi had two games.

*EDIT* Technically four if you include the "Mario & Luigi" series, which is half about him.
All Super Mario Bros. games implies two brothers, one of them being Mario, and the other Luigi. Technically he starres almost every Mario game with some exceptions, like Mario 64 and Sunshine.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Edited my above post. For those who were saying Luigi was just a filler before SSB64, you've wrong seeing as how he has had significant roles in multiple games.

Waluigi has nothing.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Red_Maniac said:
...does Luigi have a series? Roy? Marth? Toad? Diddy Kong? K. Rool? And we do know about Waluigi's personality.
Roy and Marth are the poster boys for the FE series so they sorta do have their own series, Luigi has 2 games strictly on his own, Toad has Wario's Wood, Diddy has DKC2, DKL2 and Diddy Kong Racing, K.Rool is like DK's bowser so he sorta shares one with DK

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Look, I'm just saying that Waluigi isn't a bad suggestion for a character. I used to hate it, but as long as he's not replacing somebody better, I don't mind it. He's got more personality and fan support than most.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
A tree stump has more personality than Waluigi. And if he's in the game, that means automatically that he's replacing someone better, because everyone is better.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Wow, thanks for basically repeating what I said xianfeng.

I agree with the above post. There are so many more unique characters, and some of them are in your own sig fliptroopa.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Off topic: marth and roy don't have their own series, they have individual games that they were in.

On topic: Those off you that are using personal feeling to make statements like "he has no personality" or "he would be replacing someone better" are making yourselves look bad with each post.

First, it has already been pointed out that he has more personality than some of the brawl suggestions and some one the melee roster. Yeah we don't know all that much about it but how does that takeaway from the fact that he could be a good addition to the game. Second, we don't know the order of importance that have been given to characters by nintendo. How do we know that the last option isn't between waluigi and cloud (just an example, don't lose your head). Just because someone that your hoping for doesn't make it ti brawl dosen't mean that they were replaced by someone else. They might not have ever been seriuosly considered due to whatever reason.

Like fliptroopa siad, the mario series is the most widely known in video game history. It will be represented as such in brawl, which means the will still have the most characters.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Off Topic: Marth and Roy have their own games, making them important.

On Topic: Notice you said some of the Brawl suggestions, most have more personality. Geno, Jimmy, Mona, Kat & Ana, Captain Olimar, Sonic, King DeDeDe, Ridley, Diddy Kong and Ralph just to name a few of the suggestions that have more personality. All those characters are more important in their respective franchises than Waluigi.

Yes, they were considered, because they were on Sakurai's poll. So if Waluigi does make it in, he'll be replacing a character. They always have extra characters they're trying to put in. In SSB64, they were considering putting Pit and Metaknight in, but didn't. In Melee, they were also considering Sigurd but put in Roy for advertisement.

BIRDMAN22 said:
The point was that all these anti-waluigi post are because of basic dislike which means nothing. if it came from a nuetral standpoint it would mean something because then I would believe that you're views were unbiased and that you actually believe he would be a bad addition for something more than personal hatred.
So basically, my opinion has no meaning unless I want Waluigi in?

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Ok but nintendo will also put in well known names. I would bet on the fact that if you show pictures (or names) of waluigi and all the characters you named to a random amount of video game players more will be able to identify waluigi because the mario "world" is more well known and nintendo will probably apeal to that. I'm not saying that he deserves to be in over all characters because of this, I'm saying he will most likely be added because of this as well aas other reasons. For example, most of the gamers I know as well as myself are not die hard nintendo fans. Yet, we all had a NES, SNES when we were younger. We all had a N64 as well as a Gamecube for smash only. We might have bought other games but the main reason was for smash. We all (including myself) won't know who some of the characters in your earlier post are. My overall point is that there are many non-nintendo fans that by smash and will continue to buy smash and nintendo will try to cater to them almost as much as the diehard fans. A good exapmle of this is the addition of third party.

Marshigio said:
So basically, my opinion has no meaning unless I want Waluigi in?
No, that only relates to certain things. When you say "he has no fans" that means nothing because your saying it because you are not a fan. He has fans you're just not one of them.

When Mcfox says that "a tree stump has more personality" that means nothing because he has expressed that he hates waluigi beyond imagine.

Now when either of you make a legitimate point( which you both have....I think) then it has meaning but all those random spamming post mean nothing.

Also, I will be honest and ssay that you haven't been spamming......much :p

GenG

Smash Lord
Do you mean that Pit, Ice Climbers and others like G&W would have lesser chances against other characters like Waluigi because aren't part of today talk and "recognised"?

Nintendo wouldn't put anyone. I bet Sakurai has a lot of freedom to choose characters he wants, having comercial purposes or not.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Actually I'm saying that I think half the people that the add will be well known characters. In both smash games more than half of the roster were well know nintendo characters. The most unknown character in 64 was ness. Not saying he wasn't known, just the most "unknown". In melee, half of the new addition were pretty well known and half were either game specific or "old school". The one that were either old school or game specific were still known pretty well by nintendo fans hust not as well by outside fans. The most unknown in melee, I think, was roy at the time.

Sakurai might have freedom but he still has to please them, I'm sure

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Well, I was saying that he didn't have many fans, but I'm not getting into that right now.

Why would they need to add Waluigi? You say he's recognizable, yes that's true, but that means next to nothing. Chances are Sonic will be in the game, and if people see him, Mario, and Snake on the cover, it'll attract more people than it would've without him.

Mario and Snake, with a bunch of other characters, are recognizable. Putting in characters that only appeared in sports/party games won't attract people to play the game. Nintendo doesn't have to worry about attracting different people, it's Super Smash Bros., the best-selling game on the gamecube.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
As you said he is recognizable. Mario party games are one of nintendos high selling games, why shouldn't they add a character that solely represents those games. And before you say it (we've gone over it) the other characters don't rep. those games. The only one that does somewhat is peach with her forward smash.

Yes snake and sonic would attract a lot of people beacuse they are third party. They will attract many people that might not be nintendo fans. That's a good move for nintendo but it's also another topic. Most of the party games have sold well, that's why there were so many of them in comparison to other nintendo franchises especially since some have been out longer. Why wouldn't they add a more specific representation because of that. On move doesen't rep an entire game. Neither do characters just because they were there. Yoshi and Dk are repping there specifc islands/countries, not mario's world.

EDIT: Who's the new avator?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I think they're already repping the Mario sports/party games with Mario, but then again, I guess this is something we just don't agree on.

They should rep some of the other franchises though, such as Wario Ware, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Fire Emblem(Roy will probably be cut), Star Fox, Donkey Kong, Earthbound, Pikmin, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, etc. So many important characters from these franchises should be added to give them publicity.

Nintendo is trying to make all of these franchises successful obviously, and putting in the respective characters from those franchises will give each one publicity. Waluigi won't give Mario Party/sports publicity, because when someone sees a game title "Mario Party" they're not going to think about Waluigi.

And I have no idea whose in my sig, but I liked it better than most of the other sigs they had.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Most of those games will probably be repped, Wario just joined the cast so I wouldn't expect to many from his games just yet.

In terms of names when you say the name of any game, more than normally, only the star will be immediately thought of. If you start talking about about a new star fox game I know i wouldn't be thinnking about slippy. That kind of comparison doesn't work. Do you think of dixie immediately when someone starts talking about Donkey Kong country.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
There are just simply too many franchises that need to be repped, and 3rd party characters too. I'm saying certain characters deserve to be in Brawl over Waluigi, and most of those characters are from the franchises I just named.

Mario games has enough publicity, that's why it's the #1 selling franchise for Nintendo. Now they have to work on getting those other franchises publicity, not another Mario franchise.

icymatt

Smash Lord
*Sigh* Am I the only one who thinks that giving other games publicity is not what Smash Bros. is about?

They choose characters based on their part in Nintendo history and how cool they would be, or that's what it seems. I don't think mainstream popularity is not really as important at this point, because they have the big names. and the game will sell itself.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
And because it's the number one selling franchise it will be repped the hardest. The other franchises will be repped because nintendo will want to generate more fans for them.

I agree that other characters have priority of waluigi, but if they add 13-17 new charcters as I think the will I believe he will be in brawl

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
If what icymatt said was true, they wouldn't have had the poll.

How cool it would be if they were in Smash? Most people didn't think Mr. GAW would be cool in Smash, and some don't still don't think that today.

There are even characters in the Mario World that have priority over Waluigi. Bowser Jr.(Or kid bowser, or whichever one was in Sunshine),Toad, and R.O.B.. There are plenty of characters that are equal to him, Birdo, Daisy, and Toadette. That's 6 characters, and I doubt they're going to add that many from the Mario franchise.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Why do toad and boswer jr. have priorty over him? And how is he equal to birdo? Daisy maybe but birdo? Just because they mad appearance in non-party games shouldn't give them higher ranking. I don't even know where the concept of party games=bad thing even came from.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Toad has been around longer, playable in Super Mario 2, Bowser Jr. was the main villain of Super Mario Sunshine(along with Bowser) AND New Super Mario Bros. (along with Bowser). Daisy was in the best movie and was in Super Mario Land, Birdo was a boss in SMRPG.

Toadette and Waluigi have only been playable in party games, making them equal.

Party games don't make a character unique, because a party game's story isn't important.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
So wait.....R.O.B. isn't a game character, it's an actual system (if you will)??????

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
He came with the N.E.S. and was compatible with 2 games. They also put him in Star Fox 64 and Mario Kart DS. He also made a handful of cameos.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
He was the guy who just kind've hung out in the Great Fox and told you what to do every once in a while. Same thing in Star Fox Adventures.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Marshigio said:
Toad has been around longer, playable in Super Mario 2, Bowser Jr. was the main villain of Super Mario Sunshine(along with Bowser) AND New Super Mario Bros. (along with Bowser).

Birdo, Daisy, Toadette, and Waluigi have only been playable in party games, making them equal.

Party games don't make a character unique, because a party game's story isn't important.
I wouldn't call Birdo and Daisy equal to Waluigi. At least they have been in main Mario games while Waluigi has only been in spin-offs.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yeah, Birdo was a boss and you had to save Daisy(plus she was in the BEST movie of all time). Edited.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Backtrack a little please, what did R.O.B. do in the games he was in?

EDIT: Marshigio, what movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom