• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
I think one of the problems is that Mother gets very little representation in Smash. Star Fox, a series with 5-6 games under its belt and having been dead for close to 10 years until the other day, gets 3 characters.
Who cares? The Star Fox 3 are already in Brawl, sound reasoning by Sakurai or not. Wishing for one of their removals just because someone's main has been cut is completely selfish and, like @ Ultinarok Ultinarok said, nasty.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think one of the problems is that Mother gets very little representation in Smash. Star Fox, a series with 5-6 games under its belt and having been dead for close to 10 years until the other day, gets 3 characters.
True that. But Mother has also been officially dead for 10 years and has two reps. I think Starfox is arguably more deserving of two (not three, Falco, as much as I like him, should be cut over Wolf) reps than Mother due to having more games, a longer history, and being a not-dead-yet franchise with an upcoming game. I agree SF doesn't deserve three, but it does deserve two, and Wolf makes more sense than Falco, outside of Falco's competitive popularity and seniority.

That said, I would never go to a Lucas or Falco thread and tell them "if Wolf's out, I sure hope YOUR preferred character isn't in". Because that's ignorant and disrespectful to others. I don't expect Sakurai to cater to my Wolfen needs, I would just naturally prefer if he did.

If the leak is true, I'll mourn the loss. Lucas is cool. But I also understand why he might be cut. A lot of factors stack against him more than other characters. And my little brother, and two of my close friends will have to find a new main.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What does this have to deal with the leak itself? Go take that to the Unpopular Opinions Thread, please. That's what it's there for.

Tides

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoichx
OK, I made a thing. Here we go.
WHAT GEMATSU TOLD US, ROUND 1:
  • Villager
  • Mega Man
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Little Mac
  • Miis
  • Pac-Man
E3 2013:
  • Villager came to Town
  • Mega Man joined the Battle
  • Wii Fit Trainer weighed in
Later
  • Little Mac Punched In
SSB4 COMING SOON, ROUND 2 WAS UNVEILED:
  • Miis & Pac-Man we're still on the way, with 5 more Newcomers
  • Pokemon from X/Y
  • Palutena
  • Chrom
  • Shulk
  • Chorus Men
Super Smash Bros. Direct:
  • Greninja made a Splash
E3 2014 COMING SOON, NO ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM GEMATSU.
E3 2014. Make-or-break time.
  • Mii Fighter joined the Battle!
  • Palutena Alights!
  • PAC-MAN Hungers for Battle!
  • Rhythm Heaven Enemy spotted in Smash Run!
RESULTS SO FAR:
  • Villager
  • Mega Man
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Little Mac
  • Mii Fighter (Mii)
  • Greninja (Pokemon from X/Y)
  • PAC-MAN
  • Palutena
  • Chorus Men
  • Chrom
  • Shulk
Only 3 left.
Rhythm Heaven character spotted in Smash Run.
Fire Emblem: Awakening huge Success.
Xenoblade Chronicles X, sequel to Shulk's main game announced.
One more day of E3.
This is it.
Is Gematsu's source a true leaker?
An Extremely Lucky Guess?
Or a Prediction gone wrong?We'll find out in less than 4 Months.
Great post. I liked how you broke down everything neatly and added titles with colors for more diversity.

I'm hoping that Chorus Men, Chrom, and Shulk get announced at E3. This way we would be a lot more confident about getting more newcomers. Even if they aren't announced though, I'm skeptical that these are the only newcomers were getting. Secret characters have always existed in Smash, and I don't think that Chorus Men, Chrom, and Shulk would be the only "secret" newcomers.

In Brawl we had four, them being :lucario:,:rob:,:wolf:, and :toonlink:.

I'm unsure how much Melee had, but I don't believe that Chorus Men, Chrom, and Shulk would be our only secret newcomers. Chrom or Shulk could easily be shown at the august direct and to a extent Chorus Men, making it seem even more unlikely.

Add the possibility of DLC, and the chances of us getting no other newcomers out of this list decreases even more.

Well, unless they add three more Mii Fighters. :troll:

Basically what I'm saying is that you shouldn't lose hope yet, there is still a chance that we could get more newcomers. So don't give up yet! :)

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Great post. I liked how you broke down everything neatly and added titles with colors for more diversity.

I'm hoping that Chorus Men, Chrom, and Shulk get announced at E3. This way we would be a lot more confident about getting more newcomers. Even if they aren't announced though, I'm skeptical that these are the only newcomers were getting. Secret characters have always existed in Smash, and I don't think that Chorus Men, Chrom, and Shulk would be the only "secret" newcomers.

In Brawl we had four, them being :lucario:,:rob:,:wolf:, and :toonlink:.

I'm unsure how much Melee had, but I don't believe that Chorus Men, Chrom, and Shulk would be our only secret newcomers. Chrom or Shulk could easily be shown at the august direct and to a extent Chorus Men, making it seem even more unlikely.

Add the possibility of DLC, and the chances of us getting no other newcomers out of this list decreases even more.

Well, unless they add three more Mii Fighters. :troll:

Basically what I'm saying is that you shouldn't lose hope yet, there is still a chance that we could get more newcomers. So don't give up yet! :)
Melee had a whopping nine: Pichu, Marth, Dr. Mario, Falco, Young Link, Ganondorf, Roy, Mewtwo and Mr. GnW. If you don't count clones though, it had only three.

I feel like many of the confirmed characters may already be hidden. In fact, I'm wondering if the demo roster is the initial roster, minus a couple, and everyone else is hidden.

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
He never said Lucas was cut completely.

By the way, in the Direct, they had Ganondorf and Wario in the skit, which confirms them, and they also referenced Mother 3, hinting towards Lucas.

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
You may be able to customize Ness's specials to fit Lucas's character. The PS absorb could be customized to be on you or in front of you (ness/lucas), PK flash could be changed to PK freeze (ness/lucas), and the PK fire quality could be customized (ness/lucas). And hell, maybe he'll even throw in an alternate costume for the big Lucas fans out there.
The unique thing about Lucas isnt his specials. its every A attack except his >smash which is a stick instead of a bat. that even a better reason to include him because with specials customization you can effectively become a unique character

Mabataki

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4167-4743-1372
You may be able to customize Ness's specials to fit Lucas's character. The PS absorb could be customized to be on you or in front of you (ness/lucas), PK flash could be changed to PK freeze (ness/lucas), and the PK fire quality could be customized (ness/lucas). And hell, maybe he'll even throw in an alternate costume for the big Lucas fans out there.
The unique thing about Lucas isnt his specials. its every A attack except his >smash which is a stick instead of a bat. that even a better reason to include him because with specials customization you can effectively become a unique character

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even so, that's just a theory why they would cut him. Remember, Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee. This is probably why, because both being in isn't something Sakurai seems to really be that keen on.

Movesets may not have anything to do with it.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
His standards are definitely different, although the general feel of playing him is very similar to Ness. They have the same weight, height and general feel, similar speed and jumps, and floatiness. They just use different attacks, with Lucas' having a ground focus, and Ness' having an aerial one. That said, I like them both, but they still wouldn't be super unique any more than Fox and Falco. But hey, if he's in, he's in. For all we know, the one aspect of the Sal leak that's mistaken is Lucas being cut.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm really starting to think that Chrom, Chorus Men and Shulk is it. No one else other than the Brawl cast minus Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Lucas. Not even Mewtwo and that really makes me sad.

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

Like there's no room for anyone else unless more cuts are happening.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I'm really starting to think that Chrom, Chorus Men and Shulk is it. No one else other than the Brawl cast minus Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Lucas. Not even Mewtwo and that really makes me sad.

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

I don't know, I think Ridley and Mewtwo still have a fair shot.

Rylanthus

Smash Rookie

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

The Mii Fighters take up three slots not one

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It all depends on how much space Mii Fighters take up.

Last edited:

BurnStuff

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty convinced that the gematsu leak is real at this point.

But I also don't think that the leaker is aware of every character on the final roster.

In fact, from this quote from the q&a session last night, it sounds like the roster isn't even completely finalized yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kb_qCZGU1Y#t=3032

"All the characters we're still looking at"
From the way he worded that, it sounds like there is a chance that some more characters could be added before the game launches in japan this September.

Last edited:

Tides

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoichx

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

This is certainly troublesome, maybe they'll add another row below or something? If the part about DLC is true, there must be another row right? This amount of space wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wonder how this supposed DLC would work. Like if DLC characters would have it's own spot.
It could work like Mortal Kombat 9 where there is a certain square on the roster that pulls up a tab with all of the extra characters. Perhaps near the Mii Fighters slot as that square would probably be grayed out for online play. Just a theory.

Starbound

By the way, 47 seems to be the max that the 3DS can fit. It's a 8x6 roster with one slot being a random button.

The order is wonky but this looks like it's all that can fit.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

Eh, using a speculated full character select screen is a poor way to determine roster size, especially basing it off of a beta css. Something purely superficial like the css wouldn't keep a character out, and the css can be fully edited to "fit" in more (you can also compare the Brawl demo's css to the final game's css, where the former has noticeably larger character selection boxes).

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Miis are probably going to be like Pokemon Trainer's icon where it's 3 icons icons in one slot.
This. The official website semi-officially proves this by showing a pic of all the Mii Fighters together, which, like every other fighter, will presumably be the in-game character selection pic.

And let's not jump the gun. Like many are saying, the screen can be edited to create more space. Hell, maybe the roster screen will even be able to scroll, although that would be annoying for people trying to choose fighters that are off-screen while others are scrolling it. But they let everyone fight over stage select, so why not?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
By the way, 47 seems to be the max that the 3DS can fit. It's a 8x6 roster with one slot being a random button.

The order is wonky but this looks like it's all that can fit.
The issue with this is that I don't think it would cut like Donkey Kong.... then next line Diddy Kong.

Though, I do admit 47 is very reasonable to wager a guess.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
People trying to figure out the number of slots based on the space in the selection screen of the demo reminds me of when many were absolutely convinced Playstation All-Stars roster was at least 50 slot because the demo occupied like 40% of the space on the screen.
I'm still expecting 50 characters (48 at the ABSOLUTE WORST based on the leak). Which is an insane number. Right now, we have 33 (35 if you count all the Mii movesets, and no they're not going to take three spots) and I'm expecting at least 5 other reveals between veterans and two newcomers tops before release. Sakurai confirmed during the Digital Event that he wants to keep some of the characters secret, like always, so I expect at least 10/12 unlockables we haven't seen yet.
The Gematsu leak seems convincing yes that's undeniable, but let's not forget that it didn't mention Rosalina & Luma. Maybe something didn't slip.
If there's one thing we totally shouldn't be worried about, it's the roster. Already as it is right now, it's probably the best in the franchise so far. I personally am more interested in new stages, since there are still a lot of franchises which didn't get one (StarFox, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pokémon on WiiU...).

Starbound

you can also compare the Brawl demo's css to the final game's css, where the former has noticeably larger character selection boxes
This is pretty much what I'm banking on if I want to see Mewtwo.

I'm really hoping that those buttons get smaller because this game will feel... incomplete without Mewtwo. But from all I can tell it looks like the three remaining Gematsu characters are all that's left. Especially on the 3DS version which is already looking cramped with 48 icons.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
It's just his guess. They could mock it up in whatever way they wanted. I think it's going to be a 44-character roster myself. But I don't think all 3 SF reps from last time get in. Same for Lucas.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
On the topic of DLC, I think they are most likely implementing the option of DLC to be safe.

I think they trying there best to both not have a forbidden whatever while also not delaying the game, (which would be bad if they did), so I think they are just making sure anymore character ideas they come up with can be saved for that. I believe they are have all the standard, (leaked), characters in the game and now they just want to focus on balance and bug fixing. And bug fixing especially since the game can potentially freeze apparently.

In that sense, I do understand where they could be coming from with this despite it being planned earlier then expected. Still, with practically over 100 $ for the wii u version alone for the gamecube adaptor and game controller, I just hope it doesn't cost that much.

KingLucasx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordViLL
The Mii Fighters take up three slots not one
Source??? What I clearly heard was the miis are consider 3 different fighters that doesn't mean 3slots has been taken. Don't understand why people takes things way out of context.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

The Gematsu leak itself actually disproves this logic.

According to the Gematsu leak, there will be DLC fighters. That means more roster slots. That necessitates a selection menu change.

A bottom row not as wide as the upper rows is very possible, as is the icons shrinking to accommodate more columns.

Don't panic just yet.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
There's one thing about the third leak I'm curious about. If he had recent information on Lucas potentially being cut and info on DLC for that matter, does it mean he or his leaker had information about the rest of the veterans? And if they did, why didn't Sal say anything about the status of the other veterans, particularly Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Mewtwo?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
There's one thing about the third leak I'm curious about. If he had recent information on Lucas potentially being cut and info on DLC for that matter, does it mean he or his leaker had information about the rest of the veterans? And if they did, why didn't Sal say anything about the status of the other veterans, particularly Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Mewtwo?
Presumably the same reason that the leaker didn't tell us about Rosalina. What that reason is, we don't know.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I'm 'okay' with 47.

The way I view it, is that the random box HAS to take a space, and as shown above, 47 looks aesthetically pleasing.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Each character icon is huge though. Why can't they just shrink it? Or decrease the size of the selected character. Making mock CSS's wont help prove the amount of character because there's heaps of ways to go around it.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Source??? What I clearly heard was the miis are consider 3 different fighters that doesn't mean 3slots has been taken. Don't understand why people takes things way out of context.
They take up 3 character slots in the Wii U disc, i.e. the filesize of three characters.
the reason that sakurai decided Mii should take up THREE slots i don't know... but it surely means that at least one vet will be cut.

D

Deleted member

I don't know why people are paranoid about Mewtwo. Did everybody forget that he's technically a veteran, and this leak only mentions newcomers?

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx

(Courtesy from GameFaqs)

See, that's the thing I hate about fan made rosters.... 12 new comers?!? Get that out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom