• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But we already said everything about this leak basically. If Falco is revealed, it'll still be directly related to the leak, since it'll confirm Shulk playable.
No it would not. Therefore, it has no bearing on the leak or relevance to the thread. And as for the bolded, people need to understand that just because everything of relevance has been said, it is not an excuse to post irrelevant information. You don't have to post here. Further off-topicness will result in infractions, as this serves as a public warning.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Do you think the source of Sal will reveal something before ghe direct of august, or is it over concerning the newcomers about him giving more names ?
Really it seems unlikely that the source knows anymore characters, otherwise they would have included them in the message right before E3 more than likely. There's always a small chance they will have more newcomers to reveal in their next tip, but it seems quite unlikely at this point. My money is on they will have no more new characters to speak of come their inevitable next e-mail (unless they have knowledge of DLC, which does not currently appear to be the case).

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Don't think any characters will be DLC. Only stages, costumes maybe, events.
The most recent E3 leak stated "character DLC." This doesn't necessarily mean playable characters...could mean costumes FOR characters. But it still said "character DLC."

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
The most recent E3 leak stated "character DLC." This doesn't necessarily mean playable characters...could mean costumes FOR characters. But it still said "character DLC."
I think that may also include something like what they are doing with Amiibo. To lock a character behind a paywall would be very unlikely. Unless the characters were free. Then I guess I could see it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
And that's one of the few things keeping me on the fence about that whole family of leaks. It seems too unlikely in my opinion.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
To lock a character behind a paywall would be very unlikely. Unless the characters were free. Then I guess I could see it.
I would have agreed with you not too long ago, but you must remember that this is the new Nintendo we are talking about. The trying-to-adapt-to-stay-relevant Nintendo, the in-a-not-so-great-financial-situation Nintendo is the one making these games. Look at things like New Super Mario Bros. 2, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, even StreetPass Mii Plaza. It is clear that Nintendo is no longer hesitant to offer paid downloadable content, at least not to the extent that it was in the past. Super Smash Bros. is by far the #1 candidate they have right now to make a significant amount of money off of paid DLC, and what type of content for character-driven games sells the most? Characters. I have absolutely no problem believing that they are considering character DLC for these games, and I will be among those happily rejoicing if they announce plans to sell additional characters.

D

Deleted member 245254

I would have agreed with you not too long ago, but you must remember that this is the new Nintendo we are talking about. The trying-to-adapt-to-stay-relevant Nintendo, the in-a-not-so-great-financial-situation Nintendo is the one making these games. Look at things like New Super Mario Bros. 2, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, even StreetPass Mii Plaza. It is clear that Nintendo is no longer hesitant to offer paid downloadable content, at least not to the extent that it was in the past. Super Smash Bros. is by far the #1 candidate they have right now to make a significant amount of money off of paid DLC, and what type of content for character-driven games sells the most? Characters. I have absolutely no problem believing that they are considering character DLC for these games, and I will be among those happily rejoicing if they announce plans to sell additional characters.
It's seriously been addressed many times already, Forbes even did a whole article math included, but Nintendo is not even close to dire straights financially, so this is all false.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
NSMB2, Rusty's, and StreetPass are not huge competitive releases of Nintendo. If they make a game where in order to have all of the available characters competitively in a tournament you have to pay 3 bucks, or if you go online and you can't play as a character because you didn't pay, or if they lock a veteran that people have played for years, or if they lock a new hyped newcomer, the backlash would be huge! Mario Golf has paid DLC, but that was purely cosmetic with maybe a slight curve of your swing, this is Smash where a new character adds a whole new element to every other character and the entire balance of the game.

I think any character DLC will be free, if there is character DLC. any paid DLC would have to be stages, events, stuff I've mentioned.

It's seriously been addressed many times already, Forbes even did a whole article math included, but Nintendo is not even close to dire straights financially, so this is all false.
This, too.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
NSMB2, Rusty's, and StreetPass are not huge competitive releases of Nintendo. If they make a game where in order to have all of the available characters competitively in a tournament you have to pay 3 bucks, or if you go online and you can't play as a character because you didn't pay, or if they lock a veteran that people have played for years, or if they lock a new hyped newcomer, the backlash would be huge! Mario Golf has paid DLC, but that was purely cosmetic with maybe a slight curve of your swing, this is Smash where a new character adds a whole new element to every other character and the entire balance of the game.

I think any character DLC will be free, if there is character DLC. any paid DLC would have to be stages, events, stuff I've mentioned.

This, too.
I can't see character DLC being free at all. That **** takes a ton of time, energy, and hard work to get those characters designed and balanced. That means hiring and staffing a ton of workers to add to a game that is already on the market and a majority of people have already purchased.

Nintendo makes no extra money by not charging for character DLC, so it's extremely naive of you to think characters would be free if they go that route.

Sure, they may be backlash. But I stand by this point: if you care about the DLC package a lot, you'll spend the money. If you don't care as much, you won't. Simple as that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't see character DLC being free at all. That **** takes a ton of time, energy, and hard work to get those characters designed and balanced. That means hiring and staffing a ton of workers to add to a game that is already on the market and a majority of people have already purchased.

Nintendo makes no extra money by not charging for character DLC, so it's extremely naive of you to think characters would be free if they go that route.

Sure, they may be backlash. But I stand by this point: if you care about the DLC package a lot, you'll spend the money. If you don't care as much, you won't. Simple as that.
Of course character DLC will cost money. People thinking otherwise are being ridiculous. That said, if its a veteran character being put up as post-release DLC, Sakurai might just honor it and say "yeah, this character was planned to be in the game but we missed the deadline," take 'em for free. Otherwise, they'll all be paid, and I doubt we'll have that many DLC characters either. Probably 3-4 tops.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Paid character DLC, not on disk, is a thing that happens. I think Mortal Kombat did it right, they kept working on the game after release (they weren't all just characters held off disk just because) and when ever a new character came out they had an update that included free costumes to encourage people to update, and it allowed everyone to play against the new characters even if they didn't buy them.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Nintendo would be beyond dumb not to capitolize on DLC for Smash. It'd sell like hot cakes.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Paid character DLC would make no sense for several reasons and I really hope they stay away from it. Stage/costume/other DLC - well, I still don't like the idea, but I'd be okay with it I guess.
It's not that I wouldn't gladly buy any DLC that may be released, but moreso that it would raise numerous issues regarding online play and the like. Any free content that is added in mandatory patches would be just fine, though.

Last edited:

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Paid character DLC would make no sense for several reasons and I really hope they stay away from it.though.
Care to elaborate? If the reasons are "I don't want to pay the money," that is an awful reason.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Care to elaborate? If the reasons are "I don't want to pay the money," that is an awful reason.
It is good if it is Paid DLC made after the game is released as opposed to stuff that is already completed but kept back for extra money.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Paid character DLC would make no sense for several reasons and I really hope they stay away from it. Stage/costume/other DLC - well, I still don't like the idea, but I'd be okay with it I guess.
It's not that I wouldn't gladly buy any DLC that may be released, but moreso that it would raise numerous issues regarding online play and the like. Any free content that is added in mandatory patches would be just fine, though.
If you require a patch to go out to anyone that wants to play online when DLC characters are released I don't see much of an issue with it, but I could be wrong. What in your opinion are the issues?

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I would buy DLC as long as the content was not already on the disc when they release the game.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I did say in my post that this wasn't the reason. :p I have plenty of money that I'm willing to spend on DLC. I agree; that would be an awful reason.

- My main concern is that, while there may be exceptions, online multiplayer in every game I play requires each player to be running the same version of the game with the same DLC (Mass Effect 3's multiplayer for example). I can see several issues arising based on whether or not a player has payed for this DLC character, this DLC stage, etc.
- I feel that it would be a guaranteed way for Nintendo and the Wii U to draw criticism they could do without.
- Personal aversion to DLC in general due to the potential exploitation of gamers through it - note that this is NOT me saying that this is the approach Nintendo would take, but just a general stance that I have towards the concept of DLC. DLC created after the game's launch is a very different matter to "unlocking" features already built into the game and I have faith that Nintendo is above that.

However there's also a good chance I'm a bit dumb and don't know much of what I'm talking about. :smirk:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I wish more games followed this philosophy.
What is your approach to DLC in Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

Regarding DLC, or disk-locked content, Tekken’s never really done that before and charged for it. However, we did have a system, if you remember Tekken one through five, where characters unlocked as you play, but we never charged for it. The concept itself was there.

Really the player’s opinions and heated discussions surrounding this is about whether or not you should charge for it. And this isn’t really directed at Capcom, it’s something I’ve been saying for a long time now, I see characters and their move sets as kind of like chess pieces.

They are essential items necessary in the competitive aspect of the game and we would never sell them individually. I’ve been saying that since before the whole thing happened and that stance hasn’t changed.
Interview with Katsuhiro Harada of Tekken fame.
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/13...s_netcode_dlc_controversy_character_list.html

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
IMO DLC characters would kill the selling potential of future smash titles. I mean, what is the greatest selling point of every new smash game? it's the character roster. Why have DLC characters when you can save those characters for the next smash game? (which would probably drive sales of future consoles but that's besides the point)

If Megaman, Pacman, Lilmac, and Greninja isn't enough to satisfy your needs then I don't know what to tell you. Even games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter doesn't do DLC characters because they understand the selling point of every iteration of the game. It's the characters. (They had Jill and Shuma Gorath but those were day-one-on-disc-dlc)

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
IMO DLC characters would kill the selling potential of future smash titles. I mean, what is the greatest selling point of every new smash game? it's the character roster. Why have DLC characters when you can save those characters for the next smash game? (which would probably drive sales of future consoles but that's besides the point)

If Megaman, Pacman, Lilmac, and Greninja isn't enough to satisfy your needs then I don't know what to tell you. Even games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter doesn't do DLC characters because they understand the selling point of every iteration of the game. It's the characters. (They had Jill and Shuma Gorath but those were day-one-on-disc-dlc)
The thought here is good, but the reasoning is backwards. I can see them avoiding DLC so that they don't dip too far into the character pool to take away from future games. But not because they are scared of future games selling.

If they release some cut vets (Roy, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, etc) and maybe 1 or 2 newcomers, do you really think that the next game in 5-6+ years will lack in sales? As long as Nintendo is making consoles, Smash will always be relevant and will always be a huge seller.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

I have a feeling the DLC would be small and probably mostly consist of characters that were cut, example: Squirtle/Ivysaur/Lucas

maybe an actual newcomer or 2 or soemthing like mewtwo/roy from melee also possible but i dont think DLC would be an endless flood of characters preventing future smash games from having the appeal of more newcomers.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
My argument wasn't that they desperately need money, just that they are evolving and certainly wouldn't mind extra money in times when they aren't making as much as they'd like. I don't believe your counter-point proves my entire statement false.
Paid character DLC, not on disk, is a thing that happens. I think Mortal Kombat did it right, they kept working on the game after release (they weren't all just characters held off disk just because) and when ever a new character came out they had an update that included free costumes to encourage people to update, and it allowed everyone to play against the new characters even if they didn't buy them.
I'm sure that this is how it would be handled if it were to happen. Knowing Sakurai, I doubt they are holding back characters just for the sake of selling them later. The game will be released with as much content as they were able to finish by their deadlines. I don't know if they'll include anything as enticing as costumes to get people to update their game, but undoubtedly updates would be utilized so that people could play against others without a problem if one person has DLC and the other doesn't.
If Megaman, Pacman, Lilmac, and Greninja isn't enough to satisfy your needs then I don't know what to tell you.
This is Smashboards. Those characters satisfy all of about 5% of the users here.
(Yes, this is an exaggeration, but you know many people are unsatisfied without their fan favorites.)
I have a feeling the DLC would be small and probably mostly consist of characters that were cut, example: Squirtle/Ivysaur/Lucas

maybe an actual newcomer or 2 or soemthing like mewtwo/roy from melee also possible but i dont think DLC would be an endless flood of characters preventing future smash games from having the appeal of more newcomers.
This, too, is something I am confident about. Downloadable characters would max out at around 4, probably, there's no way they release much more than that so as to not create major backlash or give the series less room for future expansion. Not to mention the limited space on the 3DS Game Card, though it is possible they could work around that by storing DLC data on the SD Card.

Something that I think may be a good indicator that we will indeed get notable DLC in these games is that job listing for developers for a new SSB game a few months back. I can't explain why the listing referenced what they would work on as "SSB5" ("SSB6"? I can't remember which.), but this seems like the most likely explanation. Maybe we'll get to hear more in the next Gematsu leak since he seems to know a bit about the discussions. For now, it's yet another waiting game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If they charge for DLC characters, they had better follow the Mortal Kombat model.

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701

This is why I've been assuming that DLC will only be for characters that weren't in the game but were in previous games, such as Mewtwo or Roy. No newcomers as DLC sounds like a good philosophy, right?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is why I've been assuming that DLC will only be for characters that weren't in the game but were in previous games, such as Mewtwo or Roy. No newcomers as DLC sounds like a good philosophy, right?
Or characters that were planned for this game that were cut. Another possibility? Characters who are very easy to design post-release, such as Dixie Kong. She'd have a great original moveset, and would be easy to design because of her body model being almost identical to Diddy Kong but with a different color scheme. Those are the only things that I can really see for post-release DLC; cut veterans, unfinished SSB4 characters, and easy-to-design newcomers.

For example, if King K. Rool was not planned for the game and wasn't simple "cut" before the game was released, there's no way he'd be a post-release DLC because he'd be too complicated to design post-release.

EDIT:
Ridley is another example. If he's not playable, he's a stage hazard. In his case he could be given a DLC update, although that'd be unlikely.

Mewtwo? If anything, I think they'd make Jiggles DLC instead since she's not nearly as popular.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
DLC talk is very borderline. Keep the discussion on the potential for DLC within context of the proposed leak, not the characters that may be likely or that one wants to see, as that's a discussion that's better in the Character Discussion thread.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
After seeing Mario Kart 8 getting free DLC on day one, I'm more than sure that Smash is going to have DLC. Whether it's going to be characters or not is up for debate. Edit: I think that the leak metntioning DLC is interesting. I find it funny how the leaker says Sakurai is considering DLC, but Sakurai said that he wants to finish the game before it is considered.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Within the context of the leak, I think the term Character DLC does not mean new characters. I can imagine a new Zelda coming out and having Link's new outfit be a DLC costume, or a Dr. Mario skin download, maybe more custom movesets or a new type of Mii Fighter. Nothing that changes For Glory or the competitive scene post-launch. You have to also consider that with a new character its more than just the coding in the game being added, its a whole new Amiibo being manufactured as well, plus like someone else said, the 3DS can only handle so much. "Character DLC" probably includes cosmetic aspects for characters.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
After seeing Mario Kart 8 getting free DLC on day one, I'm more than sure that Smash is going to have DLC. Whether it's going to be characters or not is up for debate. Edit: I think that the leak metntioning DLC is interesting. I find it funny how the leaker says Sakurai is considering DLC, but Sakurai said that he wants to finish the game before it is considered.
The games are essentially finished by now, so now would be the time they would be deciding what they want to do as far as post-release support goes. What I find funny is how the leaker says they are still not sure whether they want to cut Ness or Lucas. This decision should have been made 1-2 years ago. Either his information is quite outdated or they are in fact cutting characters so they can release them as DLC. I'm leaning toward the first of those two possibilities being the case, especially looking at "Pokemon from X/Y."
Within the context of the leak, I think the term Character DLC does not mean new characters. I can imagine a new Zelda coming out and having Link's new outfit be a DLC costume, or a Dr. Mario skin download, maybe more custom movesets or a new type of Mii Fighter. Nothing that changes For Glory or the competitive scene post-launch. You have to also consider that with a new character its more than just the coding in the game being added, its a whole new Amiibo being manufactured as well, plus like someone else said, the 3DS can only handle so much. "Character DLC" probably includes cosmetic aspects for characters.
I don't think they would add more custom moves (or an entirely new Mii Fighter option, which would essentially be a new character), but costumes do seem rather likely. As for the amiibo manufacturing, I don't think they'd mind releasing more money-making merchandise such as that. But yeah, I could see them releasing either costume packs or maybe even packs with new characters and costumes. Whatever you do, Sakurai, just please let me have my Dry Bowser costume in these games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom