• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

Purple

Hi guys!
Woo, I'm in SC. No gamecube/wii or controller though. lol
and why does nobody live near myrtle beach. If you do, I'm up for brawl, melee, or 64.

Faster paced, more balanced, requires more precision (especially when recovering), more ATs (and more difficult to learn ATs), offense is actually viable, there is more (than zero) comboability, more character diversity at high level of play, and the community is very dedicated.

Brawl has more players and more characters....and I think that is all.
So a game is competitive if it's extremely fast paced, extremely balanced, requires lots of precision, and has a bunch of hard to learn techs? So the more difficult the game is, the more competitive it is. :|. So Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is extremely competitive right? I mean, it's about as balanced as Melee is.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
So a game is competitive if it's extremely fast paced, extremely balanced, requires lots of precision, and has a bunch of hard to learn techs? So the more difficult the game is, the more competitive it is. :|. So Marvel Vs Capcom 2 is extremely competitive right? I mean, it's about as balanced as Melee is.
I never said that those are what make something competitive. Hula hooping is competitive, though it only involves knowing how to hula hoop and endurance.
I mean to say that those attributes are generally what make fighting games more competitive.
And I've never played Marvel games, so it is a pretty poor example for me. It probably would be great if I knew what you were talking about. Just explain what why you think it is uncompetitive and what attributes it has that I say would make it competitive.
And I was just giving examples, I wasn't giving ALL the attributes a competitive fighting game should and shouldnt have. You asked what makes melee more competitive than brawl and I answered. I didnt answer with everything, just everything that came to mind in a minute.

And read this if you actually arent trolling http://game-central.org/2009/editorials/what-makes-a-competitive-game/

Purple

Hi guys!
I never said that those are what make something competitive. Hula hooping is competitive, though it only involves knowing how to hula hoop and endurance.
I mean to say that those attributes are generally what make fighting games more competitive.
And I've never played Marvel games, so it is a pretty poor example for me. It probably would be great if I knew what you were talking about. Just explain what why you think it is uncompetitive and what attributes it has that I say would make it competitive.
And I was just giving examples, I wasn't giving ALL the attributes a competitive fighting game should and shouldnt have. You asked what makes melee more competitive than brawl and I answered. I didnt answer with everything, just everything that came to mind in a minute.

And read this if you actually arent trolling http://game-central.org/2009/editorials/what-makes-a-competitive-game/
I skimmed through the entire thing to be perfectly honest. However I got some interesting points.

The game can't be too simple, if this was the case, it would come down to instead of expanding your mind and outplaying your opponent, you go down a line of rules, in order to win.

Now, smash a freelance game, by freelance, I mean you can move anywhere, and everywhere in the game. that's available. So how in a game such as this, can you have guaranteed rules to beat a person who can move anywhere they please? I could tell someone to use MK and tornado the whole time. That's what Brawl used to be. However people can get around that now, and punish it. Tell me any character that you can give a distinctive rule set to someone, and they will win a tournament. If you find one let me know, i need some tournament money That being said, all of the games can be competitive. Now, you're saying melee is more competitive than brawl? let's go into that.

MK is far too busted; Melee has a larger variety of characters

Characters have ways around MK. Snake, Diddy, ICs, Falco, Pikachu, Kirby all have ways to play the MK matchup. that's 6/37 that either have even, or near even MU. That's about 17% of the cast.

Yes, there are a lot of characters are shut down by MK. But let's say, we took the list down. Let's say we took it down to 26 characters (because that's the Melee Roster) that makes it 6/26 that can play the top character. Let's go to melee and look at your MU chart.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257235

How many characters go even with fox? Let's take into account that Jigglypuff is on the rise. 4/26. That's worse than brawl. However, i'm not saying brawl is more competitive, just that brawl and melee are even, and you're biased to how melee is.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
even ignoring pikachu and kirby (as those are debatable), snake/diddy/ics/falco def. go even with meta knight. that's about equal to melee fox which has falco/marth/jiggs/(samus? o.o well alright). so as far as #1 characters go, melee and brawl stack up evenly.

mk and fox don't even shut down the largest number of characters in their games, that's ddd and shiek respectively (get at these cg characters :p).

stingers

Smash Obsessed
chudat came onto the scene in like 2003-2004. wobbles came onto the scene waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay after chudat made a name for ics

Purple

Hi guys!
Thanks for coming in here and ruing my thunder Stingers you NC ******* :mad:. Lol but seriously you are right. MK probably would be four out of 26 instead of six without debates. Which actually helps proves my point that brawl and melee are even. But anyways. Steelia, where is my bias coming from exactly? In order for me to say melee and brawl are even competitively, requires me to show melee players(since you guys are the group arguing against me) where your game lacks, and where Brawl goes even with it. By lacking, I mean worse than what you think. Also CP. Offense is not rewarded in all Melee matchups. Consider jiggs or falco to a lighter extent. If Jiggs grabs a fastfaller, that's a rest correct? In most viable stages that's a kill. You just lost 1/4th of your life in a matter of one move. In fact, with the rise of offensive play in Melee, along with the rise of Jiggs players beating top players, I would say this delusion that offensive being the absolute best option is silly on your behalf.

Purple

Hi guys!
*i want to apologize to any mod who happens to see this, i have to double post because of posting via mobile*. Anyways, being aggressive has it's rewards in a multitude of games. In fact, it has it's rewards in high-level play for Brawl too! However the risk-reward ratio is far too steep in the risk are to take it in certain MUs (getting CGd). Hence why most play defensive. However your reasoning that because melee players play offensive, and Brawl defensive, that the game is more competitive. CvS2 was a game where most MUs required defensive play for the most effective results. However that game was extremely popular and competitive in it's years. You could say the same about third strike (Jwong chun-li anyone?). Fact is, Brawl and Melee are even in competition. Brawl at this present moment has a much stronger scene, much to what Melee had. We could get into how melee was a different type of scene etc. However it's perspective to which is better. In an unbiased perspective, brawl = melee; simple.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
chudat came onto the scene in like 2003-2004. wobbles came onto the scene waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay after chudat made a name for ics
haha you got to it before me

Anyway, I'm just hoping that MLG Raleigh doesn't turn into Texas vs Florida. NC and SC are going to have to step it up.
Agreed. Ya'll need to whip some ***! <3

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Also CP. Offense is not rewarded in all Melee matchups. Consider jiggs or falco to a lighter extent. If Jiggs grabs a fastfaller, that's a rest correct?
No because there's a thing called "DI".

In fact, with the rise of offensive play in Melee, along with the rise of Jiggs players beating top players, I would say this delusion that offensive being the absolute best option is silly on your behalf.
By the "rise of Jiggs" you mean "Two Jigglypuff players that are extremly smart and just happen to play the same character" right? Jiggs isn't dominating Melee. If you think about it the only dominating Jiggs is Hbox because Mango rarely plays her anymore. He even says he's not a Puff player.

CvS2 was a game where most MUs required defensive play for the most effective results.
Where did you get that from? CvS2 is NOT based around defensive play. CvS2 was more about spacing and punishing with devastating combos (actually this is just S-groove), K-Groove was about getting meter and then rushing the **** out of you're opponent, C-Groove wasn't offensive or defensive, it was in the middle but RC made it more offensive,N-Groove was hella offensive because you use bursts of meter, and nobody plays P-groove. lol

You could say the same about third strike (Jwong chun-li anyone?).
That was the main downfall of 3S, parrying was too powerful , but if you can actually say that all the game was was turtling, I don't think you know much about 3S.

Fact is, Brawl and Melee are even in competition. Brawl at this present moment has a much stronger scene, much to what Melee had. We could get into how melee was a different type of scene etc. However it's perspective to which is better. In an unbiased perspective, brawl = melee; simple.
So by your logic everything is equal to itself, right? THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, ROXY. Melee has more of a competitive quality, why can't you accept that? It has more competitive traits, but by definition Brawl is more competitive.

Purple

Hi guys!
No because there's a thing called "DI".
K.

By the "rise of Jiggs" you mean "Two Jigglypuff players that are extremly smart and just happen to play the same character" right? Jiggs isn't dominating Melee. If you think about it the only dominating Jiggs is Hbox because Mango rarely plays her anymore. He even says he's not a Puff player.
The only reason Mango doesn't play Jigglypuff much anymore is because he feels he can win without him. He's still goes Jiggs on certain players iirc. If Jiggs wasn't suddenly dominating and becoming ultra busted, M2K wouldn't be ****ting himself over that MU right now.

Where did you get that from? CvS2 is NOT based around defensive play. CvS2 was more about spacing and punishing with devastating combos (actually this is just S-groove), K-Groove was about getting meter and then rushing the **** out of you're opponent, C-Groove wasn't offensive or defensive, it was in the middle but RC made it more offensive,N-Groove was hella offensive because you use bursts of meter, and nobody plays P-groove. lol
So, you have no reason to be aggressive due to the fact that you can get hit with a huge combo via A-Groove.

That was the main downfall of 3S, parrying was too powerful , but if you can actually say that all the game was was turtling, I don't think you know much about 3S.
Parrying was too powerful, however parrying works just like blocking, if you mess up your parry, you get hit / combo'd. If parrying was as busted as you're making it seem, then you could just parry then punish and win right? it's so simple right? ****'s not that easy. That's like saying "yeah, just powershield everything and punish, so easy.

So by your logic everything is equal to itself, right? THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, ROXY. Melee has more of a competitive quality, why can't you accept that? It has more competitive traits, but by definition Brawl is more competitive.
Everything is in fact, equal to itself in the right light. Everything can be played in a competitive setting, however there are some games that take a lot of dedication and effort to make viable. You're arguing with me trying to get me to believe in your opinion, saying my opinion makes no sense, when you can't even try to accept my own. I actually have a pretty basic idea of what I'm talking about. I've played Third Strike for years. I've dabbled in CvS2, and seen professional play. I actually have a basic idea of what I'm claiming.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The only reason Mango doesn't play Jigglypuff much anymore is because he feels he can win without him. He's still goes Jiggs on certain players iirc. If Jiggs wasn't suddenly dominating and becoming ultra busted, M2K wouldn't be ****ting himself over that MU right now.
Mango doesn't play Jiggs because she plays gay and she's easymode, those are the two main reasons. M2K is a crybaby, everyone knows this. If he can't get through something he always acts like it's the games fault. You don't see Mango crying " Ganon is broken" just because he's bad at the MU. Jiggs isn't "Ultra Busted" and you have no proof behind that statement other than Hbox (who is one person). And Mango only goes Jiggs on Hbox and Armada.

So, you have no reason to be aggressive due to the fact that you can get hit with a huge combo via A-Groove.
I said S groove, >_> I feel like a fool. But It's still not nearly as overly defensive as Brawl. Seriously.

Parrying was too powerful, however parrying works just like blocking, if you mess up your parry, you get hit / combo'd. If parrying was as busted as you're making it seem, then you could just parry then punish and win right? it's so simple right? ****'s not that easy. That's like saying "yeah, just powershield everything and punish, so easy.
Isn't this the exact reason Jwong doesn't like 3S? Yeah, it is. And Powershielding is easymode in Brawl BTW, just like everything else. And I know about 3S too, don't act like I'm a scrub.

Everything is in fact, equal to itself in the right light. Everything can be played in a competitive setting, however there are some games that take a lot of dedication and effort to make viable. You're arguing with me trying to get me to believe in your opinion, saying my opinion makes no sense, when you can't even try to accept my own. I actually have a pretty basic idea of what I'm talking about. I've played Third Strike for years. I've dabbled in CvS2, and seen professional play. I actually have a basic idea of what I'm claiming.
Your opinion is that everything can be competitive, I understand that, but Brawl simply is not that great compared to other competitive games. On paper, Brawl looks down right terrible. And i don't know what you're claiming in the last two sentences. Are you saying I don't know what I'm talking about? Care to elaborate?

Purple

Hi guys!
Alright ETWISTS. Let's break this down to a science. A lot of arguing we're doing really is getting us no here. Let's start with primary qution. What is competition to you?

Purple

Hi guys!
So, are you willing to say that competition is the idea of two players going head to head in a game less ran by luck, and more by skill to determine a guaranteed winner?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
What is competition to you?
For me anything where at least two people can compete. As I said earlier, almost any activity can be competitive, even hula-hooping (though it has few elements).

What makes a game more competitive is how many elements there are and how much skill is required for each element to play at a high level. (As a side note, a game usually needs to be somewhat enjoyable at low and mid levels of play for it to be successfully competitive.)

Starcraft has many elements are required very high levels of skill: fast fingers, precision, micro, macro, awareness, memorization, etc

Brawl requires high levels of spacing, and lower levels of tech skill and precision. There really isn't much more than that.

Purple

Hi guys!
For me anything where at least two people can compete. As I said earlier, almost any activity can be competitive, even hula-hooping (though it has few elements).

What makes a game more competitive is how many elements there are and how much skill is required for each element to play at a high level. (As a side note, a game usually needs to be somewhat enjoyable at low and mid levels of play for it to be successfully competitive.)

Starcraft has many elements are required very high levels of skill: fast fingers, precision, micro, macro, awareness, memorization, etc

Brawl requires high levels of spacing, and lower levels of tech skill and precision. There really isn't much more than that.
Great explanation, we're going to go with that. However there is a few things you're missing. For one, there is a luck aspect when it comes to competition as well; I will get into that later.

Back to your skill conversation, it depends on what you consider skill. My personal view of skill is the ability to maneuver your character how you want to, as well as being able to outsmart your opponent.

Now melee has a stricter tech-based gameplay. In lighter terms, it requires much more time to learn your character and make your character technically sound.. However, because of this steep wall of technicalities, you find that many players don't think outside of a certain box. You find that Melee has players who rely on the idea of being technical getting them through matches; combos, but no internal thought behind it. This is why some (Reflex is a good example) Brawl players are put off by Melee, not because the game is technical, this they can learn in time, however when playing an opponent who you are smarter than, however being beat because their character has gimmicks that you have to technically be prepared for, is discouraging. But I digress, Melee requires a sense of technical power and reaction timing for a large quantity of competitive gameplay, only at high-level do smarts seem to come into the equation.

Brawl doesn't have that technical standpoint. Better yet, it does, however the hardest things that can be done in Brawl, can be done by everyone with pretty minimal time invested in the game. What happens because of this, is that players have to rely on being intellectually better than their opponent in order to win most match-ups. Back to the Reflex example, he used Bowser in tournament (melee wise) and played to outsmart his opponents, however he disliked melee for the idea that he couldn't get past characters like Fox or Falco, not because the player is smarter, but because the player is more technically sound. After Brawl came out, he stuck with it because it suited his intellectual rounded playstyle. He uses Pokemon Trainer (was originally low tier) and got him boosted up just showing what being smart with the character can do. Because of the fact that there are no combos, it requires you to be constantly alert of what is going on with your opponent, reading your opponents actions, etc.

Now, back to the Luck based part of competition, Brawl and Melee have the same Luck-Based qualities, Yoshi's island and it's shy guys, Randall the cloud, G&W's judgment hammer, Peach's bomb plucking, it's all entirely based off of luck. However Brawl DOES have one quality that makes it a luckier game than Melee: tripping.

This is the ONLY thing that would make Brawl by definition less competitive than Melee. However, in most tournament settings, many wii setups have brawl with no tripping as a standard, and they won't play unless they have this setting on their wii. Without tripping, it's a matter of what you prefer more than which is better. All in all, both games are even, this doesn't mean all games are even by the same logic, just that Brawl and Melee are such different games, that it's a matter of opinion which game is better.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Great explanation, we're going to go with that. However there is a few things you're missing. For one, there is a luck aspect when it comes to competition as well; I will get into that later.

Back to your skill conversation, it depends on what you consider skill. My personal view of skill is the ability to maneuver your character how you want to, as well as being able to outsmart your opponent.

Now melee has a stricter tech-based gameplay. In lighter terms, it requires much more time to learn your character and make your character technically sound.. However, because of this steep wall of technicalities, you find that many players don't think outside of a certain box. You find that Melee has players who rely on the idea of being technical getting them through matches; combos, but no internal thought behind it. This is why some (Reflex is a good example) Brawl players are put off by Melee, not because the game is technical, this they can learned, however when playing an opponent who you are smarter than, however being beat because their character has gimmicks that you have to technically be prepared for, is discouraging. But I digress, Melee requires a sense of technical power and reaction timing for a large quantity of competitive gameplay, only at high-level do smarts seem to come into the equation.

Brawl doesn't have that technical standpoint. Better yet, it does, however the hardest things that can be done in Brawl, can be done by everyone with pretty minimal time invested in the game. What happens because of this, is that players have to rely on being intellectually smarter than their opponent in order to win most match-ups. Back to the reflex example, he used Bowser in tournament (melee wise) and played to outsmart his opponents, however he disliked melee for the idea that he couldn't get past characters like Fox or Falco, not because the player is smarter, but because the player is more technically sound. After Brawl came out, he stuck with it because it suited his intellectual rounded playstyle. Because of the fact that there are no combos, it requires you to be constantly alert of what is going on with your opponent, reading your opponents actions, etc.

Now, back to the Luck Based part of competition, Brawl and Melee have the same Luck-Based qualities, yoshi's island and it's shy guys, randall the cloud, G&W's judgment hammer, Peach's bomb plucking, it's all entirely based off of luck. However Brawl DOES have one quality that makes it a luckier game than Melee: tripping.

This is the ONLY thing that would make Brawl by definition less competitive than Melee. However, in most tournament settings, many wii setups have brawl with no tripping as a standard, and they won't play unless they have this setting on their wii. Without tripping, it's a matter of what you prefer more than which is better.
and for me this is why Brawl >>>>>> Melee (It took me 2 years to think of valid reason and you wrote that in like probably 5 mins -_-)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
BLUR BLUR BLUR
MAI GAYME IS BETTER THAN YERS
BLURKA BLURKA

sorry guys I was away and wanted to continue the discussion

I'm getting to the point if I meet someone IRL who says Brawl is better I'm just going to beat the **** out of them and call it a day

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
K'

This is also my definition.

Now melee has a stricter tech-based gameplay. In lighter terms, it requires much more time to learn your character and make your character technically sound.. However, because of this steep wall of technicalities, you find that many players don't think outside of a certain box. You find that Melee has players who rely on the idea of being technical getting them through matches; combos, but no internal thought behind it. This is why some (Reflex is a good example) Brawl players are put off by Melee, not because the game is technical, this they can learn in time, however when playing an opponent who you are smarter than, however being beat because their character has gimmicks that you have to technically be prepared for, is discouraging. But I digress, Melee requires a sense of technical power and reaction timing for a large quantity of competitive gameplay, only at high-level do smarts seem to come into the equation.
This isn't true. I'll tell you why in a bit.

Brawl doesn't have that technical standpoint. Better yet, it does, however the hardest things that can be done in Brawl, can be done by everyone with pretty minimal time invested in the game. What happens because of this, is that players have to rely on being intellectually better than their opponent in order to win most match-ups. Back to the Reflex example, he used Bowser in tournament (melee wise) and played to outsmart his opponents, however he disliked melee for the idea that he couldn't get past characters like Fox or Falco, not because the player is smarter, but because the player is more technically sound.
Are you sure it's not because the fact that he's playing BOWSER? Bowser is bottom 4, he's comparible to Link (brawl), now, do you really think it would be really hard to beat a link with MK or Diddy? BTW WarriorKnight almost made it out of pools at pound 4, with Bowser, and DJ Nintendo has beaten a lot of top level people with Bowser too. So is it character or the player? (no offense to TheReflexWonder)

Also, I have a story, back when I was in MD I decided I wanted to go to a OoS tourny before I left for SC, I went to a tristate tourny. There were many pros such as Cactus, Eggm, Jman, Gmoney, Milos, Sca.r, Chib.o, etc., I was one of the most technical people there (back then I was really technical), I was told that by GOTM, who knows what he's talking about, so, since you say with tech skill you can beat people who plays low tiers or whatever, why did I place last? I was extremly technical, but because I wasn't smart at playing at all back then, I got beat by everyone. This proves that techskill doesn't rule mid-level or high-level (it does **** low level).

After Brawl came out, he stuck with it because it suited his intellectual rounded playstyle. He uses Pokemon Trainer (was originally low tier) and got him boosted up just showing what being smart with the character can do.
PT isn't nearly as bad as Bowser.

Because of the fact that there are no combos, it requires you to be constantly alert of what is going on with your opponent, reading your opponents actions, etc.
You say this likes it's some ingenious system, what's the point of reading your opponent when you could just camp because you get no reward for hitting your opponent other than the initial damage? There isn't one which is the reason why playing aggressive in Brawl is stupid, ADing is too powerful, shields are too good, SDs are too fast, and you barely have any offensive tools to deal with these amazing defensive tools.

Now, back to the Luck based part of competition, Brawl and Melee have the same Luck-Based qualities, Yoshi's island and it's shy guys, Randall the cloud, G&W's judgment hammer, Peach's bomb plucking, it's all entirely based off of luck. However Brawl DOES have one quality that makes it a luckier game than Melee: tripping.
Randall isn't random, shy guys don't effect much other than projectile chars, FoD's platforms are random as hell though. There are more luck based things in Brawl but I really HATE luck based stuff so I don't wanna talk about it.

This is the ONLY thing that would make Brawl by definition less competitive than Melee. However, in most tournament settings, many wii setups have brawl with no tripping as a standard, and they won't play unless they have this setting on their wii. Without tripping, it's a matter of what you prefer more than which is better. All in all, both games are even, this doesn't mean all games are even by the same logic, just that Brawl and Melee are such different games, that it's a matter of opinion which game is better.

I've never seen a Brawl tourny without tripping, but that's one of the main things I don't like about Brawl, so it would be cool if there are some.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I used too and i got screwed over and got pissed and stoped playing.

***** Pokemon woke up!
***** Pokemon used stone edge!
critical hit!

Me: God ****it! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I was going to post about how having smarts is much more important than tech skill in melee, but then I saw that etwist posted.

Dark, no offence, but you seem to know very little about melee.

Edit: yes, luck is a factor, but it makes games less competitive rather than more competitive. Melee and brawl both have this fault, but because they were meant to be party games.

Purple

Hi guys!
I was going to post about how having smarts is much more important than tech skill in melee, but then I saw that etwist posted.

Dark, no offence, but you seem to know very little about melee.

Edit: yes, luck is a factor, but it makes games less competitive rather than more competitive. Melee and brawl both have this fault, but because they were meant to be party games.
Oh really? So you're saying that the smartest player can use fox and be set to win tournaments off the bat? :bee:

Understand that i'm saying smarts is necessary at a certain point, however not as quickly as it's necessary in Brawl. Are you saying that this is not true?

Top Bottom