• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
"People dont play MK because they say "aw man this character was in one of my favorite games and i like him because he is cool" "

funny, when it was the year 2000, and I was SENDING EMAILS TO NINTENDO EVERY DAY, WITH THE SUBJECT LINE : "PLEASE PUT META KNIGHT IN SMASH BROS MELEE!!!"

I have always loved that character, god **** it. If they added Skull Kid from Majora's Mask and he ended up ****ing unbelievably good, or trash, I would have still played him cause god **** it, I love that character, and **** yeah I wrote fan-move lists, like 3 whole sets of them for each of those characters (and Raichu, but that's not important)

Point being - I always loved MK, I wanted him to be bottom tier so nobody else would play him. That's how I roll in games, outside of Falco, I never main a top tier. (Adon and El Fuerte in SF4, RoboKy in GG) So just up and saying there are people who play MK only cause he's good is totally wrong. I mean, I'm sure there is at least ONE guy out there who likes the character of Fox.............................. maybe

btw imo Roxy ***** these last two pages or so, GG thread

man now Lost is over and I have nothing to look forward to, **** SC MUNNKNAKAN

Mike G thanks for coming even though it was way after I called lol

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Wow well i mean ****. sorry then.

Its just that i asked shado at pound what series metaknight was from and he didnt know.

And starfox is one of my favorite games of all time.

Darkfire150

Smash Cadet
This is just a general post to introduce myself to the smash community in SC/NC/Georgia

My name is Najib, I'm 22, and I play Brawl and Smash64. I am a Metaknight main (be nice please, I've read the previous posts, lol), and have been since I began to play the game competitively. My other mains in Brawl have been Falco and Lucario. My main in Smash64 has always been Kirby (Utilt ftw, lol). I played Melee as Sheik, but I was never that great. Just O.K. I love the game and how deep the gameplay can become, despite what other fighting game players have said about it. Mind games, responding properly in certain situations, approaching, and proper DI are what I live for, lol! I love talking about the game, reading up on matchups, watching other players, and hearing what other have to say about the game. I have a GF who I'm trying to bring into the game as well. She likes watching, and I think she could be a solid player if she trained. As far as tourneys are concerned, (@spank and Roxy) I have some experience in running tourneys (brackets, pools, rulesets etc.) and would LOVE to be involved in Border Smash/Border Bash. I think that it could be epic if executed and planned correctly. Piggybacking off of the UGA/USC game is great hype for the event. As far as MK being banned is concerned (and I'm aware that I'm aMK main, lol) I think the best point brought up so far has been if we ban him because he's busted, then what? Do we then ban Snake? Then Diddy? The fact of the matter is this: we can't ban our problems away. MK is beatable. It's tough, it sucks, and it's downright ridiculous how good he is, but he's not unbeatable. For example, everyone complains about Nado spam. Do you know who doesn't get owned by it? Alphazealot. When he gets nado'd, he directs his shield so it doesn't get poked, and the punishes accordingly. My point? If top tier players like Alphazealot can get around broken moves like that, then so can we. We just have to play better, play smarter, and use every bit of skill and knowledge that we have at our disposal to deal with him. We all have to step our game up that much more to attempt to make the character advantage less severe. I've watched endless hours of match footage. Players are beating MK. MK IS NOT INVINCIBLE. This is just my opinion, playing as MK and against MK. Anywayz... I'm supper psyched to get away from this ****ty *** MI weather, and get back to some Competitive Brawl! Get at me whenever everyone :) :)

@Spank Smash64 crew FTW!!!!!!! I agree, it doesn't get as much love as it should. BORDER SMASH FTW!!!!!

@TRC No Melee :( The physics always screwed me up, and I don't know the matchups very well. I played that game MUCH more casually. HELP ME GET BETTER AND I WILL PLAY!!! :)

Spank That Dill

Smash Journeyman
@Dark well, Border Smash will be held in GA, where MK is NOT banned, so MK will NOT be banned for Border Smash. (man up, sc) And if you could help me run the tournament, <3333. Technically we wouldnt be piggy backing off of it because the game isn't for another few months after, but if this event goes well, then we could have another one on the weekend of the actual Border Bash, which would be sweet. We could all go get hammered after the tournament >_>

Kirby eh? I used to main him, but once I got more technical in 64 I stopped playing him because it got kind of old to me. we shall have some epic battlez

Lareit

Smash Ace
lol this thread is silly to even mention brawl.

No one in SC play's brawl anymore.

Couple fact corrections.

I was the first one to call for the MK ban and the predominant force who influenced it. Not Devin.
Snap hasn't been around since the beginning.

Melee people shouldn't talk about the SC brawl scene as if they have a clue. They do not.
I don't talk about the Melee scene as if I have a clue, return the favor.

Also, competitive video games is stupid in general. Play for fun. Play to improve. Playing to win is just racing towards douchebaggery status.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
And starfox is one of my favorite games of all time.
I was -just- collecting medals in Star Fox 64 minutes ago, lol.
But the Fox that appears in Smash (and Falco) to me, just isn't the same as that N64 appearance. To me it's like SF64 is the only game of the series, because each expansion never really hit the nail right on the head, and Smash was... let's be honest, wtf?

@Darkfire glad to have you, keep playing MK son. Ever interested in Melee give me or EverlastingYayuhz a holler cause we're always down for it.

@Lariet First off, I've been in a Melee scene since 2005. There's a huge difference between starting there and watching a new game come out, and then watching it's scene, as opposed to Brawl being released in what, 2008? and then brawl people claiming they understood the history of Melee which was way before their time.
I've watched this "SC Brawl scene" since it started, just because I didn't go to tournaments or post doesn't mean I wasn't keeping tabs.

and since recently becoming a huge Starcraft fan, that last paragraph is really stupid to me. People can play to win if they want, and without being a douchebag.

Purple

Hi guys!
lol this thread is silly to even mention brawl.

No one in SC play's brawl anymore.
didn't Bo just said he plays brawl+? As much as you want to consider it another game, it's still brawl with mods.. but whatever you want to say, I don't know your community.

I was the first one to call for the MK ban and the predominant force who influenced it. Not Devin.
everyone loves bringing that up lol

Snap hasn't been around since the beginning.
didn't know that :|

Melee people shouldn't talk about the SC brawl scene as if they have a clue. They do not.
I don't talk about the Melee scene as if I have a clue, return the favor.
wasn't yayuhz at one point, Part of your brawl community (before the brawl community became non-existent to others to see), and won a couple of tourneys in your community? Your answers seem mixed about if yayuhs won tournaments or not.

Also, competitive video games is stupid in general. Play for fun. Play to improve. Playing to win is just racing towards douchebaggery status.
Playing to win isn't always bad, playing patient with a low tier and getting good reads instead of juts blindly rushing is playing to win right? It's not always planking with MK. Competitive video games are pretty fun, i'm personally just a really competitive person, so when I learn more I'm having fun. I'd rather not have it any other way (this last statement is all my opinion that i'm not going to argue)

cool post
Hello Darkfire! Great to see you join the ATL south community! :). Remember border smash isn't confirmed entirely yet, so while it could potentially happen, it's a matter of seeing if Spank can confirm it. :chuckle:

Lareit

Smash Ace
I was -just- collecting medals in Star Fox 64 minutes ago, lol.
But the Fox that appears in Smash (and Falco) to me, just isn't the same as that N64 appearance. To me it's like SF64 is the only game of the series, because each expansion never really hit the nail right on the head, and Smash was... let's be honest, wtf?

@Darkfire glad to have you, keep playing MK son. Ever interested in Melee give me or EverlastingYayuhz a holler cause we're always down for it.

@Lariet First off, I've been in a Melee scene since 2005. There's a huge difference between starting there and watching a new game come out, and then watching it's scene, as opposed to Brawl being released in what, 2008? and then brawl people claiming they understood the history of Melee which was way before their time.
I've watched this "SC Brawl scene" since it started, just because I didn't go to tournaments or post doesn't mean I wasn't keeping tabs.

and since recently becoming a huge Starcraft fan, that last paragraph is really stupid to me. People can play to win if they want, and without being a douchebag.
Who are the gamers Edge kids.

There are 5
with 2 bonus ones.

@Roxy. Yay was part of the Brawl scene for about two months. Long enough to know very little about where the scene was prior and where it is now. Which is no where. He did win the tournaments, though the actual performance results I only know second hand. I was absent from the scene during his short jaunt.

Bo play's Brawl+/- for ****s and giggles.
That isn't a scene.
A scene is tournaments. Active gatherings. Smash Fests. A hierarchy of talent. There is none.

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
While I respect casual gaming, why play to improve if you dont want to win? O_o

Ugh, I told myself I wasnt getting into this debate but...

MK IS NOT INVINCIBLE.
^^This

Truth is, on pen and paper, Metaknight isnt everyone's worst matchup. True, he doesnt have any that arent in his favor, but he doesnt have an absolute **** matchup with the entire cast either. In fact, D3 and Falco lock down way more of the cast than he does.

Idk, I could be wrong, but I just feel like this debate is more along the lines of "let's ban MK because he's easy to use and hard to beat" rather than "let's ban MK because he's winning tournaments", in which case the argument would be weaker because, as I stated, on pen and paper he's not as 'invincible' as people are saying that he is.

With the logic of, "He's winning every tournament let's ban him", use other games as examples...

Marvel vs Capcom 2- Magneto and Sentinel are almost ALWAYS on the tourney winning teams. Should they be banned?

Super Street Fighter 4- Rufus currently has a 191.5 on his matchup sum, 3.5 points higher than Akuma. That's a pretty huge difference to have over someone not only in the same tier as you, but one spot below you. should he be banned?

any sports game- These games even have the tiers built in. Should the teams with the best stats be banned?

Mario Kart- lighter characters have an easier time avoiding crap when they're in first. Should they be banned?

Sports cars are fast and win car races. Should they be banned?

Pens are used to sign almost every official document. Quills have no chance in that match up. Should they be banned?

Point is, SOMEONE'S going to win the tournament no matter what. And people are always going to figure out the best and most effective way to win. From infinites to glitches and just straight up outplaying the opponent. And no matter what people will complain about it. Metaknight has the best options for gimping and the speed for 'comboing' (lawl, wut? combos in brawlz?) and map control. Trust me if he were completely unbeatable, he'd be alot more ridiculous that he is now. (or just heavier). As far as the argument that he's just an easy crutch, I cant argue too much with that. But I can tell you that if you took away MK from alot of the top players, they would probably still win tourneys. I've played against a good bit of the top level MKs, including M2K and Dojo, and when they beat me, I dont feel like its because theyre using MK, but because they're just straight up better than me.:urg:

Is MK broken/OP? Eff yeah he is!! I'm not arguing that he's not. Just that he's not unbeatable. Point is, people are going to find anything to complain about in any game. Take out MK, and believe it or not, I'm more than certain Snake's position will drop, with Olimar, Falco, D3, and ICs rising. And I can already tell you, ICs will be the next to get banned at that point. At what point does it stop? Brawl is a terribly balanced game, but i still play and love it, even on a competitive level.

<3 SC Smash scene. MK argument is dumb. I'm not calling anyone out obviously, but I just felt to put my 2 cents in. =P

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
MK is D3's worst matchup >__>

D3 was a good character back in 08 dude. if everyone played snake than D3 would still be awesome. D3 cant kill anyone unless they airdodge into him.

quite frankly he sucks.

Purple

Hi guys!
Yeah man, his tier is 8th out of 37th. He can gimp very well onicharacters like snake at mid-high level. I even rewmember co18 beating ally, hell, Seibrik beat ally in a MM at one point. Sure, D3 has bad mus, but he also has good matchups, same with falco, same with ICs, same with every high tier. Hell, MK still has an even MU against some characters (yoshi is still considered 50:50 iirc, along with falco being a close 52:48 imo, snake being 50:50, Ic's being 50:50, so on and so forth). People can beat the character to our knowledge..

cool post

I see, so what is the problem with you guys starting stuff up? I'd like to see you guys improve y'know ;).

Don't some of you have apartments you guys can play in? Even for small tournament stuff?

:(( I want to help~!

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
UFC Undisputed 2010 is SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD

I do, but again I would need help.....

I lack the tools to do it completely alone....like a laptop and t.v.s

Besides that....I'm willing to try again...I've been kinda bored...Brawl and Melee lol

TheGreatBo

Smash Apprentice
I lack the tools to do it completely alone....like a laptop and t.v.s
Devin said he will bring the laptop again and prob a tv/wii. You have everything you need just go rent the stupid place and we will be good to go. I'm sure everyone that went to the last one will come again, I'll be there playing Brawl+ with Adam.

List-
Devin
me
Adam
Kale
Snap
Pie needs to talk his people into coming.
Alex
You
Khaoz
Kid i think
Kack
billy maybe haven't looked to see if he even knows wtf is going on.
random people that won't show up but say they will.

all in all good stuff i think

Purple

Hi guys!
Why do you need to rent a place? that's money of your pocket!!

Super House Bros Part Un!! And all the door fee money can go back to the community for food and good eats!! :bee:

Purple

Hi guys!
Hey, we can be friends! But your community needs to grow! You guys should've recruited at high schools! That works hardcore! :D

Purple

Hi guys!
not really, just go to a high school you used to attend. Host a tournament there with all the scrubs, **** them, no matter how good or bad they are, tell them that they have potential, ask them if their interested in competitive smash bros. Bring them to smashboards.com

oh, and to get them to lte oy host it, you have to give them half (or more, but really it doesn't matter) of the money made at the tournament to a certain club or just to the school in general.

So lte's say you get about 10 people, and they put 10 bucks in. Just give the school 70 dollars in funds.

Darkfire150

Smash Cadet
I'll have a condo in SC soon. I would be happy to host there. We have 2 wii ready T.V. 's and one wii. With 4 more full setups, recording materials, and maybe 2 more wii's with brawl, we'd be set :)

Purple

Hi guys!
d00d, you came at such a good time! You can help the SC community expand again!! Do you already know the address of your condo?

Top Bottom