• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Okay a few things:

1) Big Top Tier this year
2) I think Zamus should have been higher
3) I wish PT was higher
4) I wih Link was higher
5) Marth should have been Top Tier
6) Falco Top Tier again??!!!1
7) Fox should be high tier.

"HANDS OFF my thread"

cox1121

Smash Cadet
lol at everyone going crazy...just play the character you like. oh and lol at people demanding an explanation. the list will change as more tourneys take place.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
well... I mean... it's the official one... surprises? yeah...

lucario and DDD for example... seemed a bit high to me.... and olimar, toonie, marth and Zelda just a touch low.

but really... my only large dissagreements come once we hit the lowest teirs... I dunno... seems rather jumbled to me... besides CF.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
IMO, MK is on a whole 'nother level, and deserves his own tier. He really does have the God-Tier status, possibly shared by Snake. D3 is awesome, but not THAT awesome (M2k used him a lot, which make the tourney rankings favor him). I really don't think the top tier should be 6 characters wide. MK and Snake USUALLY win, while D3, G&W, Falco and R.O.B. usually just place high, and beat other players.

As a Marth player, I think Marth's position on the list is fairly accurate. He fortunately has a lot of positive match-ups but really has no edge on MK, so placing with him is VERY hard. D3, and Snake are fat, R.O.B. is tricky to gimp and is good, Falco has a chaingrab and lasers, and G&W has great kill potential and good recovery. Marth has his advantages as well, but vs MK, he fails, and I think that primarily for this reason, he's pushed outta the top tier. Still, since many of us speak of the sacred seven, I am VERY surprised that you made your top tier 6. I was expecting a 2/5 split tbh.

Also, I think the ORDER of the low tier is VERY hard to discern.

And if you don't think Kirby is high tier, that's simply because you don't know any good Kirby players, lol. Kirby ***** in this game.

Yoshi and Fox are underrated, though I think Fox's place on the Tier list is good. Yoshi is better than EVERYONE else in low tier.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
right ^^ lucario was waaaaay up there or more than i expected lol i guess imma have to scope out the lucario boards to see why lol

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
My opinions...

I don't care about order in the tiers so I'm not going to comment on them. It's too early in the game for that (or they're just painfully obvious *cough* MK *cough*)

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.
I'd put Meta Knight and Snake In their own tier. Considering they have decent matchups with everybody else in top tier and all...

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf
I think IC's might move down because if you can avoid grabs they become kinda sucky...
I haven't really seen any amazing Pits or wolf (I've seen better Marios) so IDK if they deserve to be high.
Wario may be affected by the grab release stuff though if those characters become more widely used.
I can see Lucario going down (it's just a feeling I have...).

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Sheik
Zelda should be in low. All she has going for her is fair, bair, u-smash (which can be di'd out of) and din's fire (which is avoidable).
Ike is complete trash IMO so I don't understand why he's even in mid... He's too slow and others have an easier time ko'ing than him (which is what he's all about) AND racking up damage.
Others in my area think Peach is a way better character than mid so yea...
I can see T. Link rise if he gets more rep.

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon
I can see Ness and Mario rising into mid tier if more people played as them.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Oh, for all of you that are wondering why Link is considered so bad, it's really ONLY because his recovery (and aerial game, but mostly just recovery) is so BAD. Uair and Dair aren't good enough approaches, just punishers, and high risk, high reward moves, that are completely irrelevant vs. good people. His projectiles are too slow to use campy. He actually has good speed for his power, but no good approaches. He has decent defense . . . until you hit him once.

In a nutshell, as Marth, I can 0 to death combo link almost every time, and there's nothing he can do about it. That's not even always true for C. Falcon.

Also, the low tier in this game is pretty good (when you don't compare to the top tier). Good players can beat other good players with low tier characters if their opponents are using anyone not in the top 10. Even a SMART C. Falcon can do well (my friend has master mix-up his bad approaches to make them decent, lol) and Brawl defense in general is just too good. CF's jab combo still hits for really good damage.

And for the person above me . . . get out more, lol. My little sister's Zelda is ****, and ROFL at what you think she has going for her. Her Ftilt rivals that of Snake, and of course, Zelda has the ability to switch out of a **** match-up with DownB. All of her tilts are really good actually, and when you combine that with really good Smashes, she has a nice moveset (get at that frame 5 dash attack). Her Nair is the balance she needs for her aerial moveset, since the rest of her moves are hard to land. Her truest weakness is actually her fail recovery, and her floatiness, although she's a very ground based character.

Ike is decent, you need to see Ike at highest level play. My crew member Ryko's Ike is just too nasty for me to describe, but I'm confident you'll fight a **** Ike one day.

Peach is decent, but she's also still mid. Mid tier does not equal bad. My brother's Pit is ****. My crewmate's Wolf is very good. Wolf has a nice, spammable blaster, with an awesome ground game, which his fastfalling supports. His aerials are also decent.

As the backroom put it, T.L. looks good on paper, but he's not top tier material.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Anyone looked at this list and said to themselves that it was to please the general brawl opinions?

Look MK is on top because hes good, Everyone thinks that. Some people disagree about the rest.

Now look the SBR thought hard about this list. So do not criticize their efforts. Improve what they got wrong.

If you notice Bowser is Mid tier. Now look this is not the general opinion, SBR gets attacked for this. Bowser has good traits... The SBR knows this. However you guys criticize this because It's not the general Opinion.

Yoshi, The SBR knows his potential but they do NOT put yoshi higher. Why? They say not many tapped into it. Well there aren't that many good Bowser players either but he has potential. Hes more of a test.

Yoshi in low is pleasing the general opinion. Bowser in Mid is testing if players will accept New opinions.

I can go on....

Ness and Lucas, NOTICE THEY ARE TOGETHER ON THIS LIST. In the beginning of brawl and still now people say Lucas is better than Ness, well maybe he is? But it's pleasing the general opinion. They are left together Too please the general opinion. If they weren't then it'd be an up roar. Lucas players will attack Ness players and Ness players will attack Lucas players

The SBR cannot say they weren't expecting disappointment from some players
SBR worked hard because of brawl's release many new players came into the community.
They tried their best. Truth is you cannot please everyone.

I think I said enough. I will not criticize them for pleasing general opinions.... Sometimes it's necessary.

Truth is SBR took a risk putting a Tier list out. And all you guys attacking them for their list is proving that, Yes they should not have took this risk.

To prevent too much chaos they tried to stick to the general opinion, but there is so much you can stick to until the point where You're Wrong. (Not to say that the SBR is right in the list, it'll go through changes, AND NOT TO SAY THAT THE GENERAL OPINION IS RIGHT)

Just leave the list alone, If you don't like it or aren't happy, Ignore it. Play who you want be good with who you want. Because the truth is, With all the defensive and offensive options they put in brawl you can always over come Tiers. They cannot just fit the general opinion, to the point where they create a tier list where everyone but a few characters are top tier.

This list will change to say it'd won't or you'll have to debate to change it is wrong... Just discover new things and do good in videos and tourneys.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
Look MK is on top because hes good, Everyone thinks that. Some people disagree about the rest.
That seems a bit contradictory:ohwell:
Yoshi in low is pleasing the general opinion. Bowser in Mid is testing if players will accept New opinions.
Just from what I've read today, it seems like the general opinion is not pleased when it comes to Yoshi
Just leave the list alone, If you don't like it or aren't happy, Ignore it. Play who you want be good with who you want. Because the truth is, With all the defensive and offensive options they put in brawl you can always over come Tiers. They cannot just fit the general opinion, to the point where they create a tier list where everyone but a few characters are top tier.
That's the exact reason why I dont see a reason for a tier list at all.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'm sorry but this list is ALL screwed up. You have high tier characters strewn all over the tiers. (Toon link and Mario as examples) This should not be the official tier list. Half of the panelists for this list aren't even top brawl players.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Wow, I'm sorry but this list is ALL screwed up. You have high tier characters strewn all over the tiers. (Toon link and Mario as examples) This should not be the official tier list. Half of the panelists for this list aren't even top brawl players.
Toon link I can see.... but couldn't you have thrown out something better... like Zelda or Olimar.... not MARIO

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Everyone remember, this is the first official Brawl tier list. Cut them some slack. They probably worked really hard on this. I think it's pretty much completely correct for the Brawl of now. When some crazy new AT gets discovered, it might switch things up a bit. You never know.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Everyone remember, this is the first official Brawl tier list. Cut them some slack. They probably worked really hard on this. I think it's pretty much completely correct for the Brawl of now. When some crazy new AT gets discovered, it might switch things up a bit. You never know.
thats true

off topic: I LIVE IN IRVINE TOO LOL

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
SBR is dumb for a few reasons:
Top:
Meta Knight
Snake
Game and Watch
Falco
ROB
Diddy Kong

High
DDD
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

DDD as WAYYYY to many bad match ups to be top tier
Game and Watch has good match ups and has very good priority and the best back air in the game. His Down throw to Dsmash is good and his airs break through out of moves( esp. metas) and hes HAX on norfair
Diddy Kong has few bad match ups and his bananas ****.
ROB can camp like a *****, has good match ups and can use his projectiles well and his uair is awesome
Falco is amazing in every way besides his up b
Ice Climbers are gay and there infinite isnt ban

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Interesting.

G&W definitely deserves top tier, he's probably the most widely used high-tier character at my college where a lot of about 20 or 30 of us play Brawl.

Surprisingly enough, Lucas & Toon Link often appear in nearly every match by someone at some point...

Lucas does seem to trump Sonic in quite a few matches whenever it's down to those two.

There are a fair few decent Ganons & Links that win 4-way matches, but not in the majority.

One of my best friends uses R.O.B. & Diddy...I laughed at him for using Diddy & R.O.B. when Brawl first came out -_-

Ironically, rarely does anyone ever use Meta Knight or Falco...

Anytime_Minutes

Smash Apprentice
SBR is dumb for a few reasons:
Top:
Meta Knight
Snake
Game and Watch
Falco
ROB
Diddy Kong

High
DDD
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

DDD as WAYYYY to many bad match ups to be top tier
Game and Watch has good match ups and has very good priority and the best back air in the game. His Down throw to Dsmash is good and his airs break through out of moves( esp. metas) and hes HAX on norfair
Diddy Kong has few bad match ups and his bananas ****.
ROB can camp like a *****, has good match ups and can use his projectiles well and his uair is awesome
Falco is amazing in every way besides his up b
Ice Climbers are gay and there infinite isnt ban
see im not crazy: game and watch>ddd

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Interesting to see this list... though holy crap, Link seemed like he'd get somewhere. I never thought he'd be that badly crushed.

That said, it's funny how there are threads that go, "Do you care about your character's tier placement?" and everyone comes out of the woodwork with, "OMG I MAIN LINK/GANON/C.FALCON SO NO, NO I DO NOT CARE, LALALALALA I DON"T CARE I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA", yet this thread exploded with replies, some of them coming from posters who claimed they didn't care.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Well, that looks familiar.
I'm pretty sure this was thrown around a bit to get some more insight and clarification. GG SBR
Either way, I have to say that it is still too early and I didn't expect anything until March 10th next year. With the large amount of characters and different perspectives on things through regions and communities it must have been quite a tough list to make. Especially with the great changes that happen almost monthly to the metagame overall let alone character specific methods and ideals.
My thoughts...for only some of my time.

I like...
Metaknight
Snake
King DDD
Mr G&W
Falco
ROB

Making a large top tier is something that I am EXTREMELY happy to see. The game isn't at a point where a small top would be appropriate and to say the least I would've been disapointed if it were otherwise. Needless to say I expected this from those who put anything "official" together.

There were two things that I wasn't sure what to expect. One was the #3/4 between G&W and D3. D3 being there might change shortly but I'm sure that there are reasons that go beyond me for this choice. Secondly, the placements of Marth and ROB. I didn't think either of them were actually top tier material but I expected them in there anyway since the rest of the community always did. I'm glad Marth isn't in this group and I'm certain that there are reasons for ROB staying where he is that I've simply not witnessed myself.

I also like...
Marth
Wario
Lucario
DK
Diddy
Pikachu
IC
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

First off, thanks to Futile, Azen, Axelol, Anther and the various other players that have brought these characters so far. They found a character with potential and used it for what they could. I would expect much of the cast from these top two tiers to drop in time as they've been exposed by some great players who have actually shown the potential that makes the tier list.

None of these characters need any clarification as to why they are here. I'd take a guess that this was the easiest section of the list to make in that sense though ordering these characters through what are essentially played to this level only by few individuals was probably very iffy and will make plenty of shifting very soon.

I really like...
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zamus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Shiek

I'm almost tempted to say that this tier could easily be much larger both caused by additions from high and low. The order within the tier impresses me though much of it will always be questionable because these characters are in seemingly no mans land regarding their known potential and current abilities since it varies so much everywhere right now. There is much room to grow here yet this probably wont change so much as grow itself. Kudos on this part.

I like...
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon

Except Captain Falcon needs the full CAPTAIN to be good so I fixed it.

This is the best part. If I saw anyone else as the bottom two I would question it very much. It is very obvious at this point in the games growth that these two are here. This could very possibly change but seeing how it's right NOW based, I'm glad it was done accordingly. Also, not having a bottom and just leaving a large low tier was a good idea, I wouldn't have done this but just like the top, it was best.

This tier will probably change the most. The tier both splitting and the top of this group possibly moving into mid. There is a lot of potential here relative to where the characters have come. It shouldn't be too much longer before some of these characters start developing and catch up with the rest. This is possibly the greatest reason I would have encouraged a longer wait but this will do for now.

As far as individual characters being placed. There is nothing to tell and until another "official" list is made I'll be watching you, expecting good things all the same.
Nice work you bums. lol

sonicdp

Smash Rookie
why mario.......snifff.....hes my main brawler since the 64......of course i wouldnt expect him to be like top but i always like it when he was like the middle of mid...but i think him in the low is a lil too harsh dont you think?after all,hes a well-balanced character and our mascot............=(

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Theres a reason why the low tiers are low tiers. Lack of people playing them/discovery thing about them/getting good places with them.

If more people held low tier tournies the list would improve.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
Theres a reason why the low tiers are low tiers. Lack of people playing them/discovery thing about them/getting good places with them.

If more people held low tier tournies the list would improve.
Which could very well mean that the current list isn't necessarily accurate. But of course we cant force all tourney players to divide all the characters evenly amongst themselves, so the "true" tier list may never be known.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Way to ruin your first post.

And people, stop BAWWing about your character being low tiered. If you think they don't belong there, win tournaments and change that. Until that happens, you are proving why they are low.

Cia

das kwl
Top Tier
Metaknight
Mr. Game and Watch
Falco
R.O.B
Toon Link

High Tier
Snake
Marth
Diddy Kong
Wario
King Dedede
Lucario
Pit
Kirby
Olimar
Squirtle

Middle Tier

Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Luigi
Fox
Peach
Ivysaur
Sheik
Wolf
Charizard
Zelda
Ness
Ice Climbers

Low Tier

Ike
Mario
Bowser
Jigglypuff
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Lucas

Bottom Tier
Samus
Sonic
Captain Falcon
Link

that's my current vision of the list.. i think Sheik, Pit, and Jigglypuff will move up. and metaknight, toon link, snake, and wario will move down. it's still kinda early to say we know what the chars' potential is.. so we'll see.

also, i think link is definitely the worst. very slow, worst recovery, weak projectiles and NO glide toss.. lame lame lame.. definitely last place material

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice

Hey losers, my name's uh...Ca...Carl F...Ferrel. Yeah, Carl Ferrel. I think this tier list is complete bull. I mean, the dudes who made this trash didn't even provide explanations for anything so it MUST all be a load of crap. The only thing I agree with is ganondorf at low tier. I mean, that jerk is a complete plagiarizer and he totally sucks to boot. Yeah, that's my opinion, although it might as well be fact. Also there are about 30-40 other people I'd put at low tier before that bottom guy for sure. He's actually pretty good, and he has a freakin' awesomely fast car. Now excuse me while I go out and get some moon...uh...sunshine.

lattywatty

Smash Rookie
At first I thought a tier list was ridiculous, but that's reasonable. I main Olimar and Dedede.

The only thing... Lucas bottom tier?

SPC M. Angseth

Smash Cadet
The list seems pretty accurate to me. Only thing that made me raise an eyebrow is the placement of Bowser, but hey, the Back Room probably knows Brawl just a teensy-weensy bit better than some girl who only plays online.

TKD

Smash Lord
Excellent placing on each character. The game is so MK oriented, that the entire Top and High are characters that beat MK from 30 to 50% of the time. Except Pit of course, who gets ***** by him, too high. And Yoshi, who goes even, too low. Their OTHER matchups put them where they are, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom