• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Samus Tournament Results Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Last edited:

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Smash in STC (4/19/2015)
Standing: 5th of 29.

http://smashinstc.challonge.com/STCSmash41
http://smashboards.com/rankings/st-...ries-smash-for-wiiu-singles-top-16.5816/event
https://www.facebook.com/events/1413757695603741/

I am pretty happy with how this one went. One particular player was making me sweat hard, played as an Olimar to which I have no real experience against. Barely managed to find a pretty desperate way around his Pikmin and eek out the win, but I had to face him again in Losers. Still managed to win that even though he switched to Diddy, but just barely. I feel a friendly rivalry brewing here. Ended up getting knocked out by a ROB however, but thank goodness I was rekt by him at a fest he hosted in the same week otherwise I would have been massacred. Managed to look like I knew what I was doing at the very least, but the last match when to time unfortunately. I feel like ROB is better than Samus in boxing range as well as long, so in trying to stay mid I really couldn't but on the damage I needed to actually win.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
I just had the hypest tournament set, guys. Samus is slowly being put on the map. Almost took game 1 off of Static Manny and beat him game two. The venue exploded even though he won 2-1. He thought the matchup was 9-1 in favor of Sonic but after playing me thinks it's 6-4. Our character can hang. :bee:

Edit:

Gamers on the Edge 2015
9th out of 65

http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-wii-u-gote-tourney-2015.6168/event

There's a replay I saved of game two on one of those wiis. I got a spike with like 2 seconds on the clock being up by 10 percent. Everyone screamed at me to save it, lmfao. If only I had an sd card, I'd show you guys. It might be lost now. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
The Samus presence was strong last night; Depth, ChozoX, and I were there! Three Samus players!!

Xyro77

I finally won my first tournament. The store didn't have a FB page or smashoards page to advertise it since the event was a "in store sign-ups only" situation. Though i am listing this event in my personal wins list It wasn't very big and it wasn't hard other than the MegaMan i fought in WF and GF. I hate MegaMan.

GameStop Smash WiiU #2
5/16/2015
1st out of 23 entrants
http://smashboards.com/threads/gamestop-smash-wiiu-2-pasadena-tx-5-16-2015-23-entrants.402950/

edit: i am updating the OP with every bodies results.

edit 2: The OP has been updated. Get out there are rep more Samus, kids!

Last edited:

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Do I detect the mood shifting amongst the tournament goers? Probably another 6 months for me then I'll storm the Canadian scene.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
The Spicy Spot 11
4/24/2015
3rd out of 44
http://tampaspicyspot.challonge.com/spicywiiu042415

Gamers on the Edge 2015
5/9/2015
9th out of 65
http://smashboards.com/rankings/smash-wii-u-gote-tourney-2015.6168/event

We all could have done better. We also didn't really get to play much friendlies :( Hope to see you guys, @ R Rohins , and @ leiraD leiraD at TNS to break that three Samus record. Florida is the Samus state. I'll be bringing my Wii-U so I would like to save some good sets to upload later
If we can get @ Depth_ Depth_ and @ Tumultus Tumultus there to, we might be able to have a few Samus' in top 16. That would be crazy.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
As we speak I'm trying to switch my shift at work (I'm working the evening of TNS)

If I can get it switched, Depth and I will be confirmed as I will give Depth a lift. Samus hype!!!!

Xyro77

@ ChoZoX ChoZoX could you produce a smash boards results page or FB event page for the Spicy 11 event?

I wish I had Samus users in my state that take smash as serious as I do. I'm the ONLY one for another generation of smash :(

Last edited:

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
I've started plying at anther's a couple months ago and went to a tournament as well. Got knocked out pretty quick, since I had only played FG up until then >.>

Hoping to do better at the next one. Would love for us all to be able to make it to a tourny sometime and have lots of Samus on stream and in the finals

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Hey guys now that im actually checking all these threads now. Im not sure if i can add mine from 4/30/2015.
http://challonge.com/mawaprilsingles
4th out of 68

Also why couldn't you guys be closer? I've met 1 Samus main in New England.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Hey guys now that im actually checking all these threads now. Im not sure if i can add mine from 4/30/2015.
http://challonge.com/mawaprilsingles
4th out of 68

Also why couldn't you guys be closer? I've met 1 Samus main in New England.
Please provide a smashboards link or facebook link for the challonge event you posted. it helps keep these results legit.

edit: ill try to update the thread on monday.

Also.......

Comic Palooza 2015
9th out of 139
http://smashboards.com/threads/comi...nts-miisword-makes-top-3-how-in-the-f.403672/

Lost to Whispy (Diddy) and Mbohne (mario). I almost had the mario but i got mega arrogant towards the end and lost the fight. Totally my fault. With Whispy, i simply got out tiered.....HARD. Its diddy.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Please provide a smashboards link or facebook link for the challonge event you posted. it helps keep these results legit.
I don't believe they have an event posting of the tournament. There's a few posts on their FB about it linking the results and talking about it...but if it doest count no worries. I'll make sure the next one has an event page to post here.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Xyro, can we get my section updated?

http://smashboards.com/threads/cfl-smackdown-3-10-15.394497/

I took 7th place in that weekly.

http://smashboards.com/threads/cfl-smackdown-4-14-15-5-19-15-megathread.403518/

Our TO hasn't updated our results in a while, but he just made a megathread and got through a chunk of them. If you scroll down a bit you'll find I took 4th place at the CFL Weekly on 4/28

More results are likely to come as the TO gets everything up to date, but if you could add those two to my section that'd be great :)

Last edited:

Xyro77

I don't count weeklies. People can farm points/fame/rankings that way. Now, if you went to a weeklie and then missed several weeklies after that I will count it.

Hark, I'll count it but please try to produce more evidence about the event next time

I'll update everything on Monday.

Last edited:

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Oh, I didn't know weeklies didn't count. But yeah, I certainly don't get to attend every weekly. Probably one a month, on average. Also, what constitutes as evidence for the event? I thought the smashboards results thread would suffice?

Xyro77

Oh, I didn't know weeklies didn't count. But yeah, I certainly don't get to attend every weekly. Probably one a month, on average. Also, what constitutes as evidence for the event? I thought the smashboards results thread would suffice?
Smashboards results thread is just fine. simply posting a challonge bracket isnt.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Awww man, my region openly enables customs and I just finished 5th out of an 80 man bracket going solo samus (no customs). x.x

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Awww man, my region openly enables customs and I just finished 5th out of an 80 man bracket going solo samus (no customs). x.x
Hey man, there are lots of tourney's that enable customs. Go ahead and start a new thread for custom tourney results. I'm sure plenty of people would post their results.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
And you used REAL samus, so using REAL samus in a customs environment is more difficult than usual I'd say, since people are only going to use customs which improve their character, I see no reason it shouldn't be accepted

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
We all could have done better. We also didn't really get to play much friendlies :( Hope to see you guys, @ R Rohins , and @ leiraD leiraD at TNS to break that three Samus record. Florida is the Samus state. I'll be bringing my Wii-U so I would like to save some good sets to upload later
I'm bringing Eikielmann to the event. Let's get some friendlies in.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Got second place but it was a weekly tournament so it doesn't count. But I made a very nice comeback in a match against ZSS, combostring from 8% to death. We saved it and I recorded the replay via potato phone. -> Link

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
CFL Smackdown 32 Weekly
6/9/15
5th out of 32

http://smashboards.com/threads/cfl-smackdown-32-6-9-15.405789/

CFL Smackdown 33 Weekly
6/16/15
2nd out of 30

Results thread ocmin soon.
Great results man. I'm assuming plup played pika against you. Can you give some insights on that matchup? Also saw that you beat noa. I don't do well against ness. Any insights as to how you beat him would be helpful as well.

Thanks. I'd love to see some videos soon!

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Great results man. I'm assuming plup played pika against you. Can you give some insights on that matchup? Also saw that you beat noa. I don't do well against ness. Any insights as to how you beat him would be helpful as well.

Thanks. I'd love to see some videos soon!
I'm actually quite bad and inexperienced against Pikachu. I could only provide raw numbers and no theory. However, Ness is a character I take pride in beating up on. He's a very small character, so he's hard to hit but struggles equally to hit others because of his terrible range. Max range F-tilt and D-tilt are nightmares for him on a normal shield, so he gets harassed in neutral easily. Although Ness' F-air is great, he can't necessarily retreat with F-air against us. If I can recall, our tether grab's range will just snipe him out of it because of his poor double jump and floatiness. Retreating Z-air can also hurt a Ness player that loves to jump in mid-range more frequently than he should. Moreover, it's quite easy to setup spikes and u-tilt edge guards due to his recovery. Ness is limited to four options when coming horizontally and vertically (up) to stage. He can either air dodge on stage or lead with F-air when coming horizontally. He's forced to double jump or PKT when comin vertically to stage.

If you want to play it safe, hold your shield if Ness is coming horizontally onto stage. When you catch an airdodge, let go immediately with OOS n-air, shield drop u-tilt, or rising CS OOS. If he taps your shield with F-air, screw attack OOS him. If you're confident that you've gotten into the player's head, you can SH AD RAR B-air punish his F-air or just deny him with a well-spaced CS. If you know he's going to airdodge, just wait for it and U-tilt to get that good Sakurai angle or up angled F-smash if he's at higher percents. When Ness is recovering low, go down early. The biggest mistake you can make is deciding to run off-stage for a gimp or spike him at after he starts using PKT1. He will just hit you with PKT2 because our fall speed isn't fast enough for split second decisions like that. Even though I and many other players are afraid of going off-stage sometimes to harass Ness, don't be. Samus has excellent vertical recovery. Spike or N-air Ness and quickly return to stage.

When Ness takes his time in the matchup to punish us with his powerful grab follow-ups via holding shield, shield dashing, and staying just over mid-range, our sweetspot in neutral, it can be a problem for us if our rushdown and reliable mix-up in the player-to-player matchup hasn't been established. Yet, as we all know, Samus has ways around the shield. If you're predicting a shield grab or OOS N-air, drop a bomb from high up to force them out of shield. Otherwise, if they hold, they will take immense shield damage. Use max range F-tilt and U-tilt to stack even more shield damage. Mix up your Z-airs with missiles if you're positive they'll stay in shield to sneak in some shield damage (my favorite). If you're 100% positive they won't roll or spotdodge, grab them to further develop your mix-up on the player. If they're still shielding and somehow avoiding your grabs but you've managed to whittle the player's shield exceptionally (to just about half a shield), use a CS while in mid-range to break them.

Being heavily reliant on CS isn't a bad thing. While PSI magnet is powerful, so are missiles. They cannot be absorbed. If you have a full charge, bait a magnet. Throw missiles from max-range at Ness to force defensive options out of hismagnet via shield, jump, duck, roll, or spotdodge. Play his game for a while. When you're positive your opponent will shield afterwards, throw a CS for an insta-break. You will have to be closer to capitalize on his other options, so move closer to him after every missile. If he rolls, throw your CS quickly. Get hard reads on spotdodges with CS or punish on reaction with dash attack.

Ness has an incredible punish game when his opponent is off-stage as well. While I haven't exactly gotten the best at finding ways around PKT harass when we're recovering, here are some thoughts. Cancel the PKT1 with U-air, F-air, N-air, or Z-air. If you can do that reliably it will usually be better than air dodging.

Ness isn't too hard. I don't want to go too far into tier list theory, but I believe he's a heavily overrated character. His punish game, like Luigi's and Barbie's (ZSS), probably sits among the top 5 in the game, but those characters lack the powerful neutral that other characters like Samus have. They suffer from tiny hitboxes and are reliant on 2-3 attacks in their kit to transition out of neutral. For Ness, it is his grab and F-air. On the other hand, we have many powerful tools to use in neutral. Max range F-tilt, U-tilt, D-tilt, Z-air, SHAD / Falling U-air, Grab, Dash Attack, and even missiles and bombs if spaced correctly are incredible neutral mix-up attacks.

I hope you found this helpful.

Sorry for the long post, Xyro.

Last edited:

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I'm actually quite bad and inexperienced against Pikachu. I could only provide raw numbers and no theory. However, Ness is a character I take pride in beating up on. He's a very small character, so he's hard to hit but struggles equally to hit others because of his terrible range. Max range F-tilt and D-tilt are nightmares for him on a normal shield, so he gets harassed in neutral easily. Although Ness' F-air is great, he can't necessarily retreat with F-air against us. If I can recall, our tether grab's range will just snipe him out of it because of his poor double jump and floatiness. Retreating Z-air can also hurt a Ness player that loves to jump in mid-range more frequently than he should. Moreover, it's quite easy to setup spikes and u-tilt edge guards due to his recovery. Ness is limited to four options when coming horizontally and vertically (up) to stage. He can either air dodge on stage or lead with F-air when coming horizontally. He's forced to double jump or PKT when comin vertically to stage.

If you want to play it safe, hold your shield if Ness is coming horizontally onto stage. When you catch an airdodge, let go immediately with OOS n-air, shield drop u-tilt, or rising CS OOS. If he taps your shield with F-air, screw attack OOS him. If you're confident that you've gotten into the player's head, you can SH AD RAR B-air punish his F-air or just deny him with a well-spaced CS. If you know he's going to airdodge, just wait for it and U-tilt to get that good Sakurai angle or up angled F-smash if he's at higher percents. When Ness is recovering low, go down early. The biggest mistake you can make is deciding to run off-stage for a gimp or spike him at after he starts using PKT1. He will just hit you with PKT2 because our fall speed isn't fast enough for split second decisions like that. Even though I and many other players are afraid of going off-stage sometimes to harass Ness, don't be. Samus has excellent vertical recovery. Spike or N-air Ness and quickly return to stage.

When Ness takes his time in the matchup to punish us with his powerful grab follow-ups via holding shield, shield dashing, and staying just over mid-range, our sweetspot in neutral, it can be a problem for us if our rushdown and reliable mix-up in the player-to-player matchup hasn't been established. Yet, as we all know, Samus has ways around the shield. If you're predicting a shield grab or OOS N-air, drop a bomb from high up to force them out of shield. Otherwise, if they hold, they will take immense shield damage. Use max range F-tilt and U-tilt to stack even more shield damage. Mix up your Z-airs with missiles if you're positive they'll stay in shield to sneak in some shield damage (my favorite). If you're 100% positive they won't roll or spotdodge, grab them to further develop your mix-up on the player. If they're still shielding and somehow avoiding your grabs but you've managed to whittle the player's shield exceptionally (to just about half a shield), use a CS while in mid-range to break them.

Being heavily reliant on CS isn't a bad thing. While PSI magnet is powerful, so are missiles. They cannot be absorbed. If you have a full charge, bait a magnet. Throw missiles from max-range at Ness to force defensive options out of hismagnet via shield, jump, duck, roll, or spotdodge. Play his game for a while. When you're positive your opponent will shield afterwards, throw a CS for an insta-break. You will have to be closer to capitalize on his other options, so move closer to him after every missile. If he rolls, throw your CS quickly. Get hard reads on spotdodges with CS or punish on reaction with dash attack.

Ness has an incredible punish game when his opponent is off-stage as well. While I haven't exactly gotten the best at finding ways around PKT harass when we're recovering, here are some thoughts. Cancel the PKT1 with U-air, F-air, N-air, or Z-air. If you can do that reliably it will usually be better than air dodging.

Ness isn't too hard. I don't want to go too far into tier list theory, but I believe he's a heavily overrated character. His punish game, like Luigi's and Barbie's (ZSS), probably sits among the top 5 in the game, but those characters lack the powerful neutral that other characters like Samus have. They suffer from tiny hitboxes and are reliant on 2-3 attacks in their kit to transition out of neutral. For Ness, it is his grab and F-air. On the other hand, we have many powerful tools to use in neutral. Max range F-tilt, U-tilt, D-tilt, Z-air, SHAD / Falling U-air, Grab, Dash Attack, and even missiles and bombs if spaced correctly are incredible neutral mix-up attacks.

I hope you found this helpful.

Sorry for the long post, Xyro.

That was very insightful. Thanks so much for taking the time to write that. Hopefully I finally get to meet you at CEO.

Xyro77

1. Please take MU discussion/Samus help/Samus chit chat to the general thread or the MU thread or private message someone.

2. Read the OP about weeklies. I do not count every one of them. Farming points/rank/fame...etc is not going to happen. Reporting every small gathering you attend is not needed.

3. When submitting results please post EXACTLY what follows:

Tournament name ("Walmart Smash Bash For Cash" for example)
Date the tournament happened ("12/21/2021" for example)
Your placing ( "2nd out of 58" for example)
Smashboards results page or Smashboards ranking page (if you do not have one, please post the FB page and the FB results page because i need some sort of proof).

4. OP has been updated. if i missed anything or if you need clarification, please let me know.

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
1. Please take MU discussion/Samus help/Samus chit chat to the general thread or the MU thread or private message someone.

2. Read the OP about weeklies. I do not count every one of them. Farming points/rank/fame...etc is not going to happen. Reporting every small gathering you attend is not needed.

3. When submitting results please post EXACTLY what follows:

Tournament name ("Walmart Smash Bash For Cash" for example)
Date the tournament happened ("12/21/2021" for example)
Your placing ( "2nd out of 58" for example)
Smashboards results page or Smashboards ranking page (if you do not have one, please post the FB page and the FB results page because i need some sort of proof).

4. OP has been updated. if i missed anything or if you need clarification, please let me know.
Oops. Didn't read op. Our monthlies are terrible, though.

Xyro77

That's ok. Pick a weeklie that makes you look the best and submit it.

I really hate how weeklies have killed region's monthlies

Top Bottom