• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official QUACK

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Hello fellow Pikachu buddies, I have a revolutionary idea.

You know that move? The one that makes Pikachu (omg could be very) good? The Quick Attack Cancel? I have a feeling it's going to be a huge part of Brawl Pikachu metagame. As such, I figure QAC is not a suitable name since it's hard to pronounce. Imagine if someone does a **** QAC edgehog in tournament or a QAC nair to **** combo. What are you going to say? "OMG he did a Queue-Eh-See nair!"

OF COURSE NOT.

Which is why I suggest the new name/ pneumonic of

:pikachu: QuACk :pikachu: (or just quack, whatever!)

NOW YOU CAN SAY SUCH PHRASES SUCH AS:

"omffffffgg what a **** quack-nair combo!"

AND ALSO:

"omfffffffgg what **** quack technical skill!"

.... yes?! Amen!

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman

Its pretty catchy man, I see people using it like people started using 'shine' and 'shuffle.'
I approve :chuckle:

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
kay ill try it out.
"ima quack all over your face" that sounds hella nasty lawl

Gamedragon89

Smash Rookie
I am all for this. I'm going to main pikachu now so I can validly make "QUACK!" one of my Taunts online.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
And Pikachu saw that it was good.

Now! Whenever someone incorrectly says "QAC", kindly instruct them in the accepted vocabulary.
And when you quack, you gotta be like "omgz I'm such a good quacker.". Um, if you want to.

mmmCJ

Smash Cadet
i was thinkin, how bout droppin tha "k" make it Quac.
Qu= quick
A=attack
C=cancel
just a thought......

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
Manuel, you've inspired me. I didn't even know about this until it was mentioned in B.C. thread. So I tried this QuACking in training for a while and recorded some of it and here's what I came up with.

Warning: this video is rediculously repetative, which is why there's music, watch at your own risk.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UqSYcrdT-4k

I don't really know if that U-air stuff would really work, and if it does, I have no idea what characters it might work on, I just threw this video together a couple hours ago for the heck of it and because it's one of the few brawl videos with anything in it that might be considered "fast".

Rampage

vx
Whoa that's nutty! Still not enough to make me main pikachu though LOL

Then again this could become very annoying when I play Manuel. Oh well.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
The edgehog is really good, especially against predictable recoveries like Marth's.

Quacking makes Pikachu so much faster. I was quacking against a person yesterday, and I would quack in, quack back, it was like ridiculously fast and huge dash dancing. Most of the time they'd try to knock me out of it, but you can quack right through them before they hit you. Keep them guessing, kind of. Every once in a while I would quack right into them and Thunder, and they'd try to do something stupid like sidestep dodge.

... Lol.

Also, I've managed to perfect quacking in spot... it's kind of like wavedashing in spot in that they don't know when you'll start moving. It's pretty freaking hard though, or maybe I just haven't practiced enough. From the ground, up+b but aim downwards... and in that small room you have to do a move, youd do up+b again.. into the ground. Rinse and repeat until they come towards you or until you want to start camping. I also wonder whether against fast characters, quacking really fast against them would be an infinite? Something like Fox's "Cruel infinite" in melee (which was devastatingly hard).

The quack to turn-around thunderjolt is really good. But what's even better is

(and pay attention here, because this is really gay for the opponent) quack - turn around double jump thunderjolt->fair->dsmash.

Fair dsmash is a combo. If you Have good timing, you can fair right after the thunderjolt and there'll be little lag in between... and since the dair comes out as you fall, the fair will combo into dsmash. Lol ****.

Pikachu does Sonic-type movement as Rusty showed in the video. I find upair leads to combos, but I prefer to just jump-nair out of it. Cuz uh, it's pretty strong.

I should make a video like Rusty's. I've been doing it for 2 days now, that's long enough to master it.

I hereby dub the infinite quick attack in place "Quacked Up".

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Haha, cool thread. I was thinking about this at some point but now that I know other's will use the term I will too, although I'm lazy so I will probably still type it out QAC.

By the way for those wondering/asking about the QAC here's the thread about it:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151405
I havent updated it in awhile, so there's actually some really cool videos in there that I didn't put on the front page yet. A lot of the techniques and whatnot should be somewhere in that thread too.

RedTone

Smash Cadet
i was thinkin, how bout droppin tha "k" make it Quac.
Qu= quick
A=attack
C=cancel
just a thought......
This would be ok...but I like quack too
could stand for something like:
Qu - Quick
A - Attack
C - Cancel
K - Kill

if you nAir out of it for the kill I supposed..but of course either way it's spelled it's nice to call it QAC...Quack

regorris

Smash Apprentice
The edgehog is really good, especially against predictable recoveries like Marth's.

Quacking makes Pikachu so much faster. I was quacking against a person yesterday, and I would quack in, quack back, it was like ridiculously fast and huge dash dancing. Most of the time they'd try to knock me out of it, but you can quack right through them before they hit you. Keep them guessing, kind of. Every once in a while I would quack right into them and Thunder, and they'd try to do something stupid like sidestep dodge.

So, wait... EdgeQuacking?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
The fact that this has received such a positive response is disturbing. It's as if you people would have never thought to say it like that yourselves to begin with... I really didn't think there was any other logical way to pronounce it.

So then why... is everyone congratulating this guy for coming up with something that should be common sense? The tech is called QAC. Pronounced "quack." The same way "shffl" was pronounced "shuffle." It doesn't mean we all type it out as "shuffle" though.

Pointless thread.

Enkidu

Smash Cadet
In my head I pronounce dair, nair, etc. as one word. uair is pronouned "wear."

I'd use this in conversation, but I'm pretty sure no one would know what I was talking about.

Ninja edit: if it were spelled Quac, people would know it both stands for something and is pronounced "Quack."

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
=O ... SO. good.
The fact that this has received such a positive response is disturbing. It's as if you people would have never thought to say it like that yourselves to begin with... I really didn't think there was any other logical way to pronounce it.

So then why... is everyone congratulating this guy for coming up with something that should be common sense? The tech is called QAC. Pronounced "quack." The same way "shffl" was pronounced "shuffle." It doesn't mean we all type it out as "shuffle" though.

Pointless thread.
Ah, don't weigh down our Pikachu joy. I'm not sure how often you frequented the Pikachu boards during Melee's peak, but they were always filled with bubbly language and accepting attitudes. Maybe it was because Pikachu was low tier, I don't know. I would like to think this reputation can carry over with the introduction of Brawl...

In regards to your point, I wouldn't say I'm being praised for it. I just want to make the name standardized. Perhaps I'm just stupid, but when I read "QAC" I pronounce in my head "Queue Eh See". This is similar to how when I see "IRC" I do not think "irk".

I'll also mention that quack could be used in written form, too, not only spoken. I guess it would be more fitting to the happy-pikachu-environment , and maybe even easier (typing QAC involves the cumbersome task of holding shift or pressing CAPS LOCK, lol) .

But I'm sure if you disagree, you have your legitimate reasons.

I like it :p I still dont completely understand what quacking is, but I here's what Ive gathered.

You can slam the ground and then hit them on the rebound.
You can use it so move faster.

That about right?
Not quite. Here it is as I understand it. You'll notice when Pikachu quick-attacks into the ground, there's a slight delay before he hits the ground and can do any move. During this small time interval, Pikachu can do pretty much any move he can do in the air. I'm not sure of the exact number of frames, but a bit of precision is needed to time your move. For example, if you quick-attack into the ground and hold up, you'll jump almost right away (assuming you don't have analog-stick jump turned off). Similarly, if you up+b into the ground and press the cstick down at the right time, Pikachu will drive his head into the ground and produce a face with comical effect.

Its uses? You can move around the ground much faster with it, because you can quick-attack => quick attack. You can quack turn around thundershock. You can infinitely quack on the ground to keep the opponent guessing when you'll approach. If you're in the air, and you want to get on the ground (probably to shield), you can now quick attack there and quack fair or something. You can (dare I say it?) edgequack.

Again, I think quacking will definitely shape Pikachu's metagame and even transform it indefinitely.

In my head I pronounce dair, nair, etc. as one word. uair is pronouned "wear."

I'd use this in conversation, but I'm pretty sure no one would know what I was talking about.

Ninja edit: if it were spelled Quac, people would know it both stands for something and is pronounced "Quack."
Mm, you're right. Btw I pronounce uair "ooh-air". You have no idea how many times I've had debates about its pronunciation.

Anyways, I figure if the term is correctly coined and it becomes universal in the Pikachu boards, it will stick. Remember "shine"? Well, I do. The name itself doesn't really hint at the move, but I assure you everyone knows what it is. The only link I can think of to Fox's down+b at all is that the move is "shiny" in appearance. Quack, on the other hand, even makes reference to the technique's proper name.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
In the video I posted I did two different ledge techniques. One was a ledge hog which is accomplished by performing an Up-B angled down towards the ledge at 45 degrees while on the stage, or at least above the stage. You'll also see me fail the last one. The reason for this is if you hold the joystick at that angle you'll just fly right past the ledge, you need to release the joystick right before the quick attack comes out in order to go to the ledge and grab it.

The other technique is actually a QuAC that occurs right at the edge of the stage. Basically, you angle an Up-B down towards the ledge at just the right distance from the ledge and when the move ends, you'll bounce off the ground and immediately fall off of the course but you won't be disabled by your Up-B. This happens twice in the early part of the video, it's when I Up-B along the ground, fall off, and then Up-B back up to the ledge. It could be a bit useful if you pull it off but it's really risky since the distance is so precise and if you fail, you die.

One weird thing I noticed about it, for some reason, when you QuAC off the edge of a stage, it turns you around. I have no clue why you turn around, or even why you don't grab the ledge. It's a mystery to me.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Hold on, when I quacked off the stage, I auto-grabbed the edge. It was instant. The distance away wasn't exact, I'm not sure you have to be that precise in your spacing. Or maybe I'm just more or less used to it from Melee Pikachu.

I just Quack straight right, and as I moved held left.

Another question. I noticed that sometimes while quacking in spot, or just for movement, I'll do a shortened quack.

I'm not sure how this is performed, but it's happened at least 16.8 times.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
LOL this isn't enough to make me main Pikachu, but Pikachu's moveset/techs might become by far the most amusing. Nice idea, I'm definately going to start using the term.

Nachupikachu

Smash Rookie
Hold on, when I quacked off the stage, I auto-grabbed the edge. It was instant. The distance away wasn't exact, I'm not sure you have to be that precise in your spacing. Or maybe I'm just more or less used to it from Melee Pikachu.

As long as u dont face away from the edge, any character automatically grabs the edge, as long as no one is using it, of course :) (I think)

Yay, with quack pikachu seems so much better and quick

"Now! Quick QuAck! :chuckle:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Another question. I noticed that sometimes while quacking in spot, or just for movement, I'll do a shortened quack.

I'm not sure how this is performed, but it's happened at least 16.8 times.
if you let go of the direction input early and dont hold onto it, you do a shorter QA.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
QAC could also be pronounced like Cake. Which could bring up even more hilarious possiblilities.

Top Bottom