• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Pokemon Trading and Battling Center (Friend Codes for Friend Safari here!)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
80 base speed is a middle road in terms of speed; There are other 80 base speed Pokemon such as Chandelure (Who also can use Trick Room) and Dragonite who can use Trick Room and a negative nature to beat a lot of things under Trick Room. Chandelure and Gallade are also ideal to negate trick room because they are in that speed that can be fast enough to beat a lot of things without trick room but can also be slow enough to take advantage of it themselves.

I was going to mention Bronzong, but I was beaten to it; You could also try Malamar and Gourgeist if you're willing to find a Super-sized Pumpkaboo.
I guess when I think about Trick Room users, Bronzong, Dusclops, and Reuniclus would come to mind almost immediately, but I've seen at least one Mismagius with Trick Room, so that's something that could catch you off guard.

Uxie could also work as a Trick Room user AND a Trick Room counter, thanks to its access to Imprison, and it has the defenses to act as a supporting wall. I even got the idea of treating Uxie as a Trick Room counter from a random Wi-Fi battle; my Trick Room team once got shut down when I went up against a Chandelure who knew Trick Room and Imprison.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Umm Dragonite can't use trick room.
Wow, I actually said Dragonite can use Trick Room. That was a typo made on my part. I meant to say it also has the 80 base speed to have the option of running a negative speed nature and outspeeding a lot of Pokemon.

Gourgeist vs Trevenant is pretty much preference. If Trevenant's superior healing/attack isn't working out for you. Super Size is very slow, and it's bulky enough to use the Weakness Policy well enough. +2 Explosion is no joke.

Claydol and Hypno are kinda on the fast side, but are bulky enough to set up Trick Room against most things. Klinklang gets it too, but it's usually better off with Shift Gear.
Gourgeist also has ToT to Trevenant's Forest Curse; you can utilize it if you really hate stuff like Fake Out and Fighting Pokemon/Moves. Helps out stuff like Scrafty and Tyranitar at the cost of their Ghost resistance. Hypno does have the ability to either be immune to Fake Out or Sleep, which is pretty nice for a Trick Room user.

Uxie a Trick Room counter? That I agree. Trick Room user? Not so much; you're better off not running a negative speed nature imo since 95 base is somewhat fast.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'll take that leftovers, and any other spare Lucky Eggs and Destiny Knots you might still have. I'd be interested in Scatterbugs holding the items, if you know your Vivillion pattern then let me know (no problem if you don't know it).
leftovers and the destiny knot are in Y, and i have 2 extra lucky eggs in X. my region is eastern US so i have the modern Vivillions.. and it seems you have yet to add me again...

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'm probably gonna use gallade, since dark types are a major problem in my TR team.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm probably gonna use gallade, since dark types are a major problem in my TR team.
Yeah the 6th generation really hit Bronzong quite hard ever since the Steel-type lost its resistance to Ghost-type and Dark-type attacks. It was one of the best Trick Room users that I've known.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Which EV spread can help mega Aggron take special hits better, 252 Sp Def with 6 HP or 252 HP with 6 Sp Def? The latter will also help with physical bulk, but physical attacks are not what I'm afraid of.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It needs both, as Aggron has sub-par Sp. Def and HP, sadly.
If you had to chose just one, I'd go with HP, but you shouldn't be focusing on taking Special hits with it in the first place. If you can, get a partner for it.

Anyone up for a Multi-Battle right now? Got 2 other SWF members waiting, just need a 4th. Mostly just for fun.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Going under the assumption that you're using Brave with Max Atk..

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 6 SpD Mega Aggron: 78-93 (44 - 52.5%) -- 18% chance to 2HKO
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 6 HP / 252 SpD Mega Aggron: 60-72 (41 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
However, the best result I seem to have gotten with showdown's calculator (although rather miniscule)
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 16 HP / 236 SpD Mega Aggron: 60-72 (40.8 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I agree though that if you're wanting something to take special hits, it should not be Mega Aggron, especially in an environment where weather-boosted Fire and Water attacks are all the more commonplace.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I know that aggron isn't a special defensive pokemon at all, but I want to make it last a little longer in battle. And yes, I am using a brave with max attack.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
20 HP/236 Sp.Def seems to work the best if you want to be more specially defensive then. Otherwise, 252 HP/6 Def to focus on what it's already good at doing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've raised a bunch of Honedges today, and I now have an Adamant Aegislash, and an Impish Doublade in my arsenal. I did play around with Doublade during the process, since it could prove to be useful when used with a Trick Room team; Doublade's speed is rather poor, which can make Gyro Ball more effective, especially while it's holding the Iron Ball.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think Aegislash would work better outside of trick room, because if it attacks first, it will be wide open for one hit to take it down.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Aegislash can work in Trick room but you'll have to keep it in defense mode and boost its atk for a one hit ko so the opposing pokemon won't be able to kill it after it changes its form. for doublade it seems like it would work but I'd keep it away from sp attackers like the slowbros and kings with its pathetic 49 sp def base stat

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Doublade can be EV'd in a way to beat Slowbro so long as it doesn't switch into a Scald; a burn will easily ruin any hopes of beating Slowbro though.

Aegislash can just throw Subs regardless of whether it's in Trick Room or not; It's not likely to die as long as it's being kept away from strong SE or Weather-boosted moves.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speed is also important to keep in mind, because Aegislash does outspeed some Pokemon, and if it doesn't 1-hit KO, the opponent can easily annihilate it. Because of this, Aegislash typically does better when it's attacking last; it would switch to Sword Forme after it takes damage while in Shield Forme, and then finish up with Shadow Sneak on the next turn if the opponent is weakened enough. But with a base speed of 60, you'd have to resort to the Iron Ball to slow down Aegislash even further, but you're better off having Weakness Policy for Aegislash in most cases.

In terms of Doublade, while it may not be very good in the special defense department, at least it can still take physical hits while attacking.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I was trying out Mega Amphy and it is wonderful in TR. I just wish I had a coverage move against ground (not planning on breeding for HP Ice).

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Since season 3 has begun, I'm going to let go of these battles I've been holding onto.

MZJW-WWWW-WWW5-URH3
She was running Politoed/Kingdra just as I was. That's all I'll say about this one. I think it's better watched than described, although I do make some silly moves with Murkrow.

VQCW-WWWW-WWW5-URH6
I'm not sure if this person was running Politoed/Kingdra as well or any weather-control for that fact. In any case, this is exactly what can happen if people aren't prepared for Rain or some form of speed control.

I've been breeding some new Pokemon in hopes of throwing together another Special Battle team. I want to especially attempt to utilize Krookodile and Competitive Gothitelle. I rebred for Sassy for a bit more Special bulk. Also working on Kalos Fighters such as Scraggy, Makuhita, Timburr, Mienfoo and later on Follow Me Riolu down the road, although idk if someone else already has done Follow Me Riolu.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Since season 3 has begun, I'm going to let go of these battles I've been holding onto.

MZJW-WWWW-WWW5-URH3
She was running Politoed/Kingdra just as I was. That's all I'll say about this one. I think it's better watched than described, although I do make some silly moves with Murkrow.

VQCW-WWWW-WWW5-URH6
I'm not sure if this person was running Politoed/Kingdra as well or any weather-control for that fact. In any case, this is exactly what can happen if people aren't prepared for Rain or some form of speed control.

I've been breeding some new Pokemon in hopes of throwing together another Special Battle team. I want to especially attempt to utilize Krookodile and Competitive Gothitelle. I rebred for Sassy for a bit more Special bulk. Also working on Kalos Fighters such as Scraggy, Makuhita, Timburr, Mienfoo and later on Follow Me Riolu down the road, although idk if someone else already has done Follow Me Riolu.
i was thinking of doing a, protect, copycat, ? riolu as a setter but i haven't gotten to it yet. it could prove annoying against trick room users as it shouldn't gain that -5 priority..

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Copycat doesn't get any negative priority, so if you use a negative priority move (TR, Roar, etc.) the first turn, then use Copycat the next turn, Riolu's Prankster gives it the +1 priority.

Unfortunately faster priority will still beat this. As will Pokemon with Soundproof, or in the Doubles specific case, Fake Out and multi-hit moves.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Copycat no longer receives priority from Prankster in XY if it Copycats a move with negative priority. It had Copycat+Roar in the prior generation that was untouchable if pulled off right.

It was mainly used with Entry-Hazard support, but I could see it being used as a stalling tactic over Wi-fi where there are timers.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
actually i just tried it with riolu and a chandelure i rose and ev trained in speed. prankster copycat does work with trick room as the opposing ditto (transformed as chandelure) should have been faster under no trick room if it were true but riolu still went first. not sure if it'll work on Wi-Fi though

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
I'm not sure I understand the scenario. How exactly did you test this? If they both used Copycat->Trick Room while under Trick Room, Riolu would go first because it's slower since the speed priority is the same for both of them. I'm going under the assumption that you made Chandelure forget everything but Trick Room?

I just need some more details to understand.

Edit: I just realized something.

Seeing as how it's only negative priority moves that don't get the Copycat's Prankster priority, I wonder if the priority addition is simply shifted to the Copycated status move?

That would make Riolu's Trick Room -6 Priority, which would cause it to be faster than -7 priority. That in turn would make any sort of testing with anything only knowing Trick Room obsolete since Riolu's Trick Room would still have higher priority.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
ok i went to mewtwomaster's ditto safari and taught chandelure TR. i went into battle against a ditto w/o imposter. went back to confirm it I'll skip to the more important parts of the battle (had problems getting it to use TR) trick room had worn off after a while. ditto used trick room end turn. i switched to riolu and ditto used trick room again reverting it back to normal then i had riolu use copycat and trick room activated chandelure then used energy ball
and knocked out riolu. my chandelure has WoW, energy ball, shadow ball and TR. riolu doesn't have any items and has 56 speed chandelure has 143 speed and there was no speed increasing move used

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Interesting. I haven't a Prankster Riolu, so I can't test this out for my own eyes to see.

I shouldn't have taken Bulbapedia's word as there seems to be very little trace of it being tested otherwise.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You just can't get Roar and Whirlwind to dupe themselves from Copycat in Gen 6. Prankster Copycat for all applicable moves will be +1 priority, if they can't be Copycated, the move will simply fail instead.

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Thank you for the information.

Now that that's cleared up, I've given it some thought and I've this to ask: Would you really want to Copycat Trick Room when you could simply reverse it with your own with a bulkier option? or a Taunter? or an Inner Focus Pokemon with Fake Out/Taunt via Mienshao and Crobat respectively?

I imagine you could run something like Prankster Screech to help out (Which Murkrow is the only other one to have access to), but otherwise, what would have it stand out?

Edit: I suppose Prankster Copycat + Screech is something exclusive. In any case, I do hope I get to see it in action one of these days.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I forgot that Porygon isn't a Kalos native :facepalm:Now I need another trick room setter to breed. At least I have more options than the physical trick roomers.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
After I finally gave up breeding Porygon and only had 3 egg left to hatch, the 2nd one ended up being a shiny. It's Relaxed with 31 Speed, but still made me giddy inside.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been trying to get all the damage-reduction berries, but at this point, I'm five berries short. The Inverse Battles don't make getting them any easier either. If anyone has the following berries, I was hoping that I could have them...

*Occa Berry
*Kebia Berry
*Coba Berry
*Colbur Berry
*Babiri Berry

On a side note, I don't really care what Pokemon I get from the trade.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can also get some of them from wild encounters with moves that affect trees (Blizzard, Air Cutter, etc.).
Interesting. My other thought was hunting for certain wild Pokemon, but it seems that you can no longer get a Pansage who's holding the Occa Berry in X/Y.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I thought the max IV's you could get in a friend safari is 3 perfect stats, but I just got a Tyrogue with 31/31/0/31/31/x

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I've been trying to get all the damage-reduction berries, but at this point, I'm five berries short. The Inverse Battles don't make getting them any easier either. If anyone has the following berries, I was hoping that I could have them...

*Occa Berry
*Kebia Berry
*Coba Berry
*Colbur Berry
*Babiri Berry

On a side note, I don't really care what Pokemon I get from the trade.
Use Boomburst Exploud for Inverse battles, its OP.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Use Boomburst Exploud for Inverse battles, its OP.
I actually do have an Exploud that's stored away in my Pokemon Bank account, but it's too low leveled to be able to face Inver's level 65 Pokemon. Also, I have a feeling that I'll only get Sitrus Berries if I use your suggestion too many times.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
I thought the max IV's you could get in a friend safari is 3 perfect stats, but I just got a Tyrogue with 31/31/0/31/31/x
I too got a 4 IV Tyrogue from a Friend Safari. I'm not sure if it's guaranteed to be that way, but since Tyrogue is unable to be bred, it gets the guaranteed 3 IVs that the legends do.

I pretty much hunted for my berries; most of them can be hunted for while doing Hordes if you like Shiny hunting. This can also be done with Herbs.

Only ones you can't do that for are your blue-colored berries (Oran, Yache, Passho, Coba) which is a bit obnoxious as they're found on Route 17 with the Mamoswine.

Speaking of which, has anyone played around with the Luminous Moss or Snowball? They're type-specific activation like the Cell Battery and the Absorb Bulb.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Ah yes, I forgot tyrogue is unable to breed. That makes breeding tyrogue much easier since it starts with good stats (obviously evolve it first). Also, I tried the luminous moss my ninetails, and I had a tough time using it in most battles. Snowball seems like an item you could use on a multiscale dragonite, since it will commonly get hit by an ice type. There are still other items that people would prefer though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ IsmaR IsmaR & @ Respectre Respectre : I tried your suggestion with the Horde Battles, and I was able to get myself a Colbur Berry during the process. I guess that only really leaves the Coba Berry as the one berry that I'll probably struggle getting the most.

Last edited:

Respectre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-1436-0975
Ah yes, I forgot tyrogue is unable to breed. That makes breeding tyrogue much easier since it starts with good stats (obviously evolve it first). Also, I tried the luminous moss my ninetails, and I had a tough time using it in most battles. Snowball seems like an item you could use on a multiscale dragonite, since it will commonly get hit by an ice type. There are still other items that people would prefer though.
Eh, you probably shouldn't be trying to use those things on Pokemon that are weak to that certain move.

Top Bottom