• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

Nakamaru

Smash Master
You were the person i was responding to and so i pulled for you style and that was the first example that popped into my head. So i rolled with it. lol

There are way better examples but i can't think of solid ones atm.

(GO AHEAD ALAN FIX MY POST! FULFILL YOU DUTY AS FORUM JANITOR!)

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
i think everyone has there own way to improve, which is being proven with nicks plan
and i hope this influences other people to get more serious with there objectives

smash can be related with many things
the sport thing is a popular connection that everyone can look at
but sports are different in the players spirit

in smash you dont have to support any pride
in fact, during smash the other person will seem to mock your pride and try to embarrass you
that is just how the game is

sometimes people play better in smash when they don't care

Renth

Smash Hero
Go to Hyrule: Turn on the item "Bumper" Stand on the far right building..thing.. stand in the center throw the bumper straight up into the air, turn on your shine. Your shield will break you get stuck inside the bumper and shoot up to 900% damage. If another character jumps in while you're stuck they also take the same percentage increase.

Try it out, I've been wanting to make a video of it for forever but.. I have no recording equipment nor an N64 to do it with anymore. :(
---

---
----
-

-
---
\

No Really, When you guys have a copy of smash 64 DO IT, It's fun! :D

TheLake

Smash Master
WALL OF TEXTS OR GTFO!

Anyways jacob and I did 5 minutes the other day

like instead of 8

it was boss

do this more!

Vudujin

Smash Lord
5 minutes is boss.

I've always wondered why the ruleset was never just timed melee to begin with. Make all of the matches 4 minutes or something. I think we should experiment with a variety of rules if only for perspectives sake.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Honestly I feel like a time limit puts undue pressure on the player who struggles during the early game of a particular match, creating more of a power shift towards the leader and diluting one of the greatest aspects of Smash vs other fighters: the total plausibility of comebacks at any time.

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
When Steve and I play Peach vs Puff it is minimum 5 minutes lol. I don't think it helps the game if matches between us would go to time just because there's not enough time for us to kill each other.

Its too easy to time someone out if the match length is 5 minutes. 7 or 8 mins is a good limit (to me at least) because it is enough time that someone needs to be good at timing out if they want to try and use that strategy. Its also enough time to weed out enough mistakes from the timing out player to gain and maintain a lead if you are playing someone who isn't good enough at timing out opponents.

tl;dr 7 or 8 mins makes someone really earn a timeout win which is a valid (although ****ing lame as hell) strategy.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Honestly I feel like a time limit puts undue pressure on the player who struggles during the early game of a particular match, creating more of a power shift towards the leader and diluting one of the greatest aspects of Smash vs other fighters: the total plausibility of comebacks at any time.
Every decent fighter has that aspect, it's heavily resource based games that make it hard to make comebacks. So I think you meant to (or should have meant to) say fighters vs other genres :p

takieddine

Smash Master
Actually Alan is right, when you consider the term fighter, and consider how many of those games are actually fun competitively...well you get the point...

Vyke

Smash Champion
I've got your backpack, Aaron. It was at AJ's, he found it and gave it to me at Doug's L5R thing. Also, it had your character sheet.

D

Deleted member

now its not that i dont like taking advice, and admittedly it is hard to ask for because i dont ever hear you guys asking for it. so when i want to it like.. "oh girl.. im gonna make myself look weak by asking someone for advice.. clearly stating that someone is better than me." and by stating me desire for a "coach" doesnt mean that i would only take one persons advice. im open to all of it. but at the same time i do feel like people like johny arent qualified to be giving me advice because he doesnt have the qualities in the last paragraph. some people have the gift of communication and just that coaching skill whereas some people do not.

so what im saying is.. would anyone be willing, to take the game a little more seriously and be really intune with me and smash. in a sense be my "coach"???? im just a kid on who worked hard to make the team. i played alot and practiced hard. i have some experience and i made my way from JV to varsity but im on the bench. help me with get into the game and start dunking on kids. aaron? taki? jacob? chris?
you should definitely question all of the advice you get, even if you think it is good and reliable you should question it.

you should also be mindful of who you network ideas with. bouncing ideas off of other players is essential for improvement after a certain point, and it's not very high on the skill ladder per se. the best thing you can do is find other people with ideas, even if you have nothing to bring to the table yourself. in particular, most of the best minds on smashboards have already made a name for themselves and aren't difficult to find. I'd recommend talking to:

mew2king
cactuar
dr peepee
kirbykaze
arcnatural
fly_amanita
wobbles
druggedfox
unknown522
myself obviously lol

from there, focus more on the people that play the same character as you, or a character similar to yours at least. these people will be able to inspire you to expand your skill set each time you improve. you should also learn how to improve on your own. dr pp and i have both written about it a bit but scar's new thing with "lean" probably puts it into words much better.

here's some reading i'd recommend you to start with if you're serious:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311129

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc/2005_Stuck_In_The_Middle_With_Bruce.html

Finally, I'd recommend that you bounce ideas off of the people you play with to some extent, but don't explicitly coach each other because over-exposure to the same people or ideas will build bad habits. Even if you get really good at the game, you can still be a tier 2 player with bad habits. Help each other with direct problems obviously, but still try to network and gain ideas elsewhere first.

TheLake

Smash Master
You can still make comebacks in 5 minutes. In fact you have a better chance to make a comeback by camping with characters that suck offensively (like everyone compared to the spacies and yoshi) and utilizing parts about them you never really realized. (like umm...uhh...SHUT UP!)

Its not a matter of forcing someone to be timed out. Its more of the time out should be a cocern and you should be making the most of your options. Smash has spoiled us and lets us get away with too much.

can someone give me a ride to dusqense?

Ill strip to the Pokemon rap ;D

<3

John that's wonderful news

lets dance to the only song that not only fits this current circumstance but speaks for our generation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KqXFhRxybE

Top Bottom