• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
this friday i;d like to get @ least seven guys so we can run a few trials of this my RR idea. like we dont have to run it only once either, since some alot of ppl get payouts we can always run multiple ones.

this semseter im done friday @ 12pm so like i can be down there mad early. but anyways ppl should come this friday @ DUQ

dead-aim

Smash Cadet
haha, oh wow...

are you kidding me? people cry everytime we want to run any type of tourny and taki your not even competing at pound(wich i completely understand) but i just want to see how i stand with the duquesne crew.

tim good i idea, i am in and i am sure rob is in.

D20

Smash Lord
Yes, I love tournaments. I am up for this (just like I was up for every other tournament that Kevin talked us out of). I would even be up for a Connect-Four tournament. Anyhow, I will be there Friday at 2:00 pm.

xyt

Smash Lord
I will be there in spirit @_@)..

EDIT:

CALLING ALL PITTSBURGH SMASHERS!!!!

I am now accepting $1~$3 MM's from EVERYONE in the Pittsburgh smash scene (minus Swiftbass)

This is so that i can get better at playing under pressure. In other words, Pound 3 practice.

Best 2/3 MLG rules. unless you can throw out some stipulations that i would agree too.

Thanks.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I have access to an apartment that has 3 tvs by default and i wanna hold something the sat after next

I do not mind taking a hit and only having all of us locals show up the first time. I wanna make sure this can work first b4 I start advertising to everyone(in the case that ppl will be that interested >_>). So the sat after next if theres not another cool tourney going on I would like to be able to have a mach list of who can potentially show up...........i.e the following:

myself
ronald
mogwai
readysteady
dead-aim
shiek
taki
TSK
d20
volt
switchblades
insert slippery rock extras
kevyeh
dickchang
phil
neo neil
insert random cmu folk
spoonyD
rose and friends
butler dudes
insert new guys

6$ entry singles (tentative and willing to pay 4th and 5th)
doubles if wanted

This to me would be an ideal turnout for a first time. and I wouldnt mind holding events with that same turnout everytime, but i guess i would say soemthing like that right? if this gets off the ground it would be tentative very much like chus tourneys.

I want to make it clear that I will be running theses and i garantee smooth and fair operation without a doubt. I will not be a a$$hole, I will listen to opinions etc. I am flexibale with entry and payouts.(i like paying 4th,5th).

GIVE ME A CHANCE

EDIT: yo if i get the turnout i want i'll give y'all free pizza rolls or something, i would rely like to see a good turnout if things go the way i plan

EDIT2: *waits 4 the "I'd DEF go SWIFT!" posts*

TheLake

Smash Master
GOOD GOD FREE PIZZA ROLLS!!? *Bows* I'd DEF go SWIFT!

Yeah as i said before that sounds fun..so by saturday after next you mean like the saturday after this upcoming saturday or two weeks from now? (Silly question but im just making sure)

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
this sat
next sat
sat after next(ding ding ding)

np like as long as u show up i dont care if ur confused abut it or not, i rly wanna start smash off right this time around with brawl etc so im trying to get that established now while i can.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
if it's this Saturday, I'll probably go. It looks like i'm not moving back in till sunday.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
you know, dates are much easier to keep in one's head than all these 'next's and whatnot... If you're talking about Jan 26, I'm most likely in. 19th is a no go (Mouningtide pre-release ftw). Jan 26th is an extended PTQ in Pittsburgh, but I honestly dislike the format, so I'd rather support a local smash tourny, especially so close to Pound.

Also, XYT, you know I'll always take mm's from you while I'm not on the exceptions list ;).

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
you know, dates are much easier to keep in one's head than all these 'next's and whatnot... If you're talking about Jan 26, I'm most likely in. 19th is a no go (Mouningtide pre-release ftw). Jan 26th is an extended PTQ in Pittsburgh, but I honestly dislike the format, so I'd rather support a local smash tourny, especially so close to Pound.

Also, XYT, you know I'll always take mm's from you while I'm not on the exceptions list ;).
theres a grand prix in philly too @ somepoint too this year right?

date will be jan 26th

xyt

Smash Lord

done. i want my dollar back ^-')

theres a grand prix in philly too @ somepoint too this year right?

date will be jan 26th
as long it's in walking distance, easy-to-get-to by bus, or wes is driving...
I'LL DEF GO SWIFT

and keep us posted or post a link in regards to this philly thing will ya

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
the bad news is that on the 26th i will be gone most of the day for a vball gig at waynesburg.

the good news is i get to keep whatever the entry fee is for this tournament, and further forget whatever melee skills i had in order to prepare for brawl.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
no hungry johns on Friday.
Yeah make sure you eat your sandwiches and get enough sleep cause hunger and sleep johns are weak, we should all just eat BLTs like Tim does...

I have access to an apartment that has 3 tvs by default and i wanna hold something the sat after next

I do not mind taking a hit and only having all of us locals show up the first time. I wanna make sure this can work first b4 I start advertising to everyone(in the case that ppl will be that interested >_>). So the sat after next if theres not another cool tourney going on I would like to be able to have a mach list of who can potentially show up...........i.e the following:

myself
ronald
mogwai
readysteady
dead-aim
shiek
taki
TSK
d20
volt
switchblades
insert slippery rock extras
kevyeh
dickchang
phil
neo neil
insert random cmu folk
spoonyD
rose and friends
butler dudes
insert new guys

6$ entry singles (tentative and willing to pay 4th and 5th)
doubles if wanted

This to me would be an ideal turnout for a first time. and I wouldnt mind holding events with that same turnout everytime, but i guess i would say soemthing like that right? if this gets off the ground it would be tentative very much like chus tourneys.

I want to make it clear that I will be running theses and i garantee smooth and fair operation without a doubt. I will not be a a$$hole, I will listen to opinions etc. I am flexibale with entry and payouts.(i like paying 4th,5th).

GIVE ME A CHANCE

EDIT: yo if i get the turnout i want i'll give y'all free pizza rolls or something, i would rely like to see a good turnout if things go the way i plan

EDIT2: *waits 4 the "I'd DEF go SWIFT!" posts*

I believe what Tim meant to say is the 26th, no all that confusing jargon. I'd more than likely go as long as I do not work, which the way it seems they do not schedule me on Saturdays anymore so it seems cool.

Ew Extended......

Just out of interest Wesley, what Standard deck are you playing currently?
And if you don't mind answering, what do you think the best draft strategies are for Lorowyn? I'm asking because I plan on doing like 3 or 4 drafts this weekend on MTG Online and would like to go in with an idea of what works and is good and what is not.

TheLake

Smash Master
of course, just make sure one of you guys bring a Wii or something. I hope u guys will come to my tourney too
I can bring a gamecube (its sweet lookin ;)) so what time should we show? And we will more than definatly be at your lil tourney.

xyt

Smash Lord
CALLING ALL PITTSBURGH SMASHERS!!!!

I am now accepting $1~$3 MM's from EVERYONE in the Pittsburgh smash scene (minus Swiftbass)

This is so that i can get better at playing under pressure. In other words, Pound 3 practice.

Best 2/3 MLG rules. unless you can throw out some stipulations that i would agree too.

Thanks.
awww.. no one loves me = /

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Ew Extended......

Just out of interest Wesley, what Standard deck are you playing currently?
And if you don't mind answering, what do you think the best draft strategies are for Lorowyn? I'm asking because I plan on doing like 3 or 4 drafts this weekend on MTG Online and would like to go in with an idea of what works and is good and what is not.
I rarely play constructed, but I've mostly been messing about with elementals builds for standard...

Talk to me more about Magic on AIM (WWRDude(standard screenname) collagesWes(during work hours, i.e. now.)), I don't wanna spam the boards. I can give you a lot of advice in any limited format and I'm good at knowing what's going on in standard and extended, so yea, just feel free to spam questions on that stuff to me cause I like to talk about magic.

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
@sheik:

you say you are trying to get better by accepting money matches from any players in the pittsburgh area excluding tim, however you are you are removing personal responsibility by not challenging any specific player directly. In fact, by specifically excluding tim, you have mentally set the ceiling for yourself. It also seems a bit cowardly, seeing that you have only opened up the challenge to those that you have already believe you have a good chance of beating.

In this way, how can you say your improving yourself? you will only be playing players you think you can already beat. Money aside, this is to prepare you mentally and emotionally in a tourney scenario. So what? now you can beat the players you thought you could already beat in a tourney.

If you really wanted to raise the bar for yourself, it would be to prepare yourself versus those you don't think you can already beat in a tourney scenario. Wouldn't it?

Atacusbebop123

Smash Journeyman
@sheik:

you say you are trying to get better by accepting money matches from any players in the pittsburgh area excluding tim, however you are you are removing personal responsibility by not challenging any specific player directly. In fact, by specifically excluding tim, you have mentally set the ceiling for yourself. It also seems a bit cowardly, seeing that you have only opened up the challenge to those that you have already believe you have a good chance of beating.

In this way, how can you say your improving yourself? you will only be playing players you think you can already beat. Money aside, this is to prepare you mentally and emotionally in a tourney scenario. So what? now you can beat the players you thought you could already beat in a tourney.

If you really wanted to raise the bar for yourself, it would be to prepare yourself versus those you don't think you can already beat in a tourney scenario. Wouldn't it?
Couldn't of said it better myself

Rose

Smash Journeyman
oh wow, psychology.

soooo duders. What's going on smash-wise this weekend, and where? I don't have a game and I've been itching to play. I have an excess of $1 bills, I'll gladly mm anyone for funzies.

TheLake

Smash Master
Couldn't of said it better myself
Umm actually you couldnt/shouldnt have said anything at all. Quit acting like your some sort of important smash figure by agreeing with somone who actually has a reason for saying what he does so you can fit in or whatever. No one even knows who you are or cares what jerk wad things you have to say. Hows that for psychology? At least MEET the people you go around bashing before you snuff your rude little remarks about like some foolish little cap fire lass just itching to bake her first batch of biznatch muffins. Now grow up and step back with the rest of us butler noobs and take your place. Oh and thanks for the brownies...they were awsome ;)

Any hoot im down for MM's meself.! I challenge you sheik regardless if you feel if you can win or not! Hes probably lookin for variety folks..no need to get up in his grill ya know what i'z sayin'z. So with that said know that I intend to give you a run for your money (haha get it? mm...er...nvm) as one of the three wisemen i wont go down without a fight! Oh and rose go to duquense tommorow and bring those 1's....i smell a rivalry thats itching to be quenched...*looks as bowser and ganon give each other the evil eye*

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
oh wow, psychology.

soooo duders. What's going on smash-wise this weekend, and where? I don't have a game and I've been itching to play. I have an excess of $1 bills, I'll gladly mm anyone for funzies.
friday @ duq starting @ 2-3 ish is when most likely everyone will get there.

oh wow, psychology.
Kevin has a point. Personally I have MM'd rob b4 and a few people who I knew I would beat, but I first started out MM'ing ppl who were expected to beat me. The money is important but @ the same time its not. The idea of gaining exp from MM is by putting money on the line to strenthen the sense of urgency. however a nice contradiction occurs when MM'ing with small amounts of money. This way you get the urgency, because of principle(when it comes down to it, u have a chance to lose money no matter which way u look @ it) and the ability to sleep @ night if u lose 2-3 dollars in a money match rather than stressing over an amount like 50 bucks.

point: you should MM if you have the extra money and want a more tourney-like setting. Money is not the important part of it. by asking 4 ur dollar back with wes and excluding me ur accounting for money too much

xyt

Smash Lord
Kevin has a point. Personally I have MM'd rob b4 and a few people who I knew I would beat, but I first started out MM'ing ppl who were expected to beat me. The money is important but @ the same time its not. The idea of gaining exp from MM is by putting money on the line to strenthen the sense of urgency. however a nice contradiction occurs when MM'ing with small amounts of money. This way you get the urgency, because of principle(when it comes down to it, u have a chance to lose money no matter which way u look @ it) and the ability to sleep @ night if u lose 2-3 dollars in a money match rather than stressing over an amount like 50 bucks.

point: you should MM if you have the extra money and want a more tourney-like setting. Money is not the important part of it. by asking 4 ur dollar back with wes and excluding me ur accounting for money too much
The money IS important i wont lie. that dollar comment applying to Wes though, is more or less a joke that i put out because Wes didnt specify an amount and i remembered losing that dollar right after taking it by chain grabbing a girl. = /

i'm dont think i 100% understand the low amounts of money MM comment. but the amount i suggested was because it's MMs that i want to do within my community of smashers. in other words.. because we're more than just smashers, we're friends.. and i dont want like.. 10$ or something causing any harsh feelings... well... ok.. this is probably badly explained but hopefully you get the idea

Umm actually you couldnt/shouldnt have said anything at all. Quit acting like your some sort of important smash figure by agreeing with somone who actually has a reason for saying what he does so you can fit in or whatever. No one even knows who you are or cares what jerk wad things you have to say. Hows that for psychology? At least MEET the people you go around bashing before you snuff your rude little remarks about like some foolish little cap fire lass just itching to bake her first batch of biznatch muffins. Now grow up and step back with the rest of us butler noobs and take your place. Oh and thanks for the brownies...they were awsome ;)

Any hoot im down for MM's meself.! I challenge you sheik regardless if you feel if you can win or not! Hes probably lookin for variety folks..no need to get up in his grill ya know what i'z sayin'z. So with that said know that I intend to give you a run for your money (haha get it? mm...er...nvm) as one of the three wisemen i wont go down without a fight! Oh and rose go to duquense tommorow and bring those 1's....i smell a rivalry thats itching to be quenched...*looks as bowser and ganon give each other the evil eye*
Thanks for tryin back me up Lake. but i'd like to state that hey nivek is a skilled and respected smasher in the pittsburgh community and also a good friend of mine : D. his post might have come off as a bit harsh but it sounds like the normal heynivek i know hehe. so no fighting ok? haha

and as for the MM, i accept. name your price sir : D ($1~$3)

@sheik:

i am lazy.. and i didn't wanna give any pressure by calling out people individually. so i thought i'd open the floor to people who were more willing.

yes you're right, Tim is better than me. but he's also the one training me. so... plus i play him ALOT.
bascially i see your point but i didnt feel that i'd get as much out of MM-ing Tim as opposed to everyone else.

it also made more sense to me to challenge people who are more nearer my level first. and i consider this to be everyone in pittsburgh besides swiftbass (to pittsburgh smashers: do not take this wrong way and no flamming please.)

i've lost to Wes in every single tournament set that i've played him in (more than 5) PLUS a $1 MM. and i havent played most of pittsburgh in a tournament setting. so this goes to address why i think this will help me mentally and emotionally prepare for pound 3. besides, there will be more players around my level ish than there will be swiftbass level ish.. make sense?

as always, thanks for the constructive input : D! (no sarcasm implied)

oh wow, psychology.
I am a psychology major.... ok... that is all...

PS: Rob, I accept.

TheLake

Smash Master
Oh no no no i wasnt trying to pick a fight with anyone really. Sorry if i came across that way and i figured Nivek had some experience under his belt which is why i didnt want to press the matter. I was more so attacking Atacus because were ol chums. And if you cant attack your friends with cruel, overly exaggerated retorts then who can ya?

And shiek came from zelda...of course hes gonna be nice (; and by the by...we'll start with a simple dollar and work are way up. Hope to see you guys tommorow

Top Bottom