• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Outstanding MMs:

Rob: $1 Peach vs. YL Neutrals Only
Taki: $1 Peach vs. Fox
Dead-Aim: $1
TheLake: $1?
All 2/3

Did I forget anyone/get something wrong?

PS: I challenge Tim to $1 MM 2/3

I'm accepting $1 MMs from everyone.

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
I apologize for unexpectedly setting a bad example for the newer players in this area. Neither sheik or I are confrontational in any way and are quite approachable in person. We actually live on the same floor and play each other everyday. My intent was just to tease sheik and toughen him up a bit psychologically. (A quick lesson in mindgames: keep your guard up before, during, and after matches)

All Pittsburgh smashers respect respect other smashers regardless of experience, skill, etc.

Anyways, I kind of think that the tradition set 2/3 mlg for cash is OK for money match format if you want to prepare for tourneys, but I'd like to propose something a little different.

Designate a certain number of games, like 10 for example. And then the winner of each game wins a dollar. So if it splits 5-5, then no one owes any money, and then the most a player can win is like 10 if its a shut out. This way both players have an incentive to continue playing their hardest, but are still rewarded if the matchup is close. It'll also feel better because if you are playing for money, you want to play for a longer period of time, or you'll feel shortchanged if you loose.

maybe this format could catch on a little better?

name of this format hasn't been decided yet, patent pending, etc.

TheLake

Smash Master
Right I get that, and i apologize if i too came off ruder than expected. That wasnt my intention at all. Like i said i was messin with around with a friend. And i kind of like that 10 match idea nivek, im all for tie's lol (which is probaby why im such an abismale "competitive" player).

But yeah its fine...no bad example was set. Maybe i should have heeded my own advice and bit my tounge as well on that one eh? lol

Me sorry'z steve'z...me hopey you still lovey long time (:

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i really like that idea

who wanna play 15 rounds with me?

with moderation i believe this kind of MM may work.

EDIT: yo ppl bring setups and if u have component cables PLZ bring them

Atacusbebop123

Smash Journeyman
Right I get that, and i apologize if i too came off ruder than expected. That wasnt my intention at all. Like i said i was messin with around with a friend. And i kind of like that 10 match idea nivek, im all for tie's lol (which is probaby why im such an abismale "competitive" player).

But yeah its fine...no bad example was set. Maybe i should have heeded my own advice and bit my tounge as well on that one eh? lol

Me sorry'z steve'z...me hopey you still lovey long time (:
I understand I knew it was you just being you from the start, and to bring something else to light I am not that good, but whatever

just to clear the tension i knew he was kidding and yes we are pals

but hopefully I can go tomorrow too, granted i am not busy

and hey if you're lucky you'll get some of my delicious brownies :laugh: and perhaps a TV and a gamecube and memory card

TheLake

Smash Master
I'll happily play 15 rounds with ya and what exactly is a componet cable O_o? Oh and swiftbass i was thinking about somthing earlier and i was just curious...at tekko were you dressed as mugen from samuri champloo? If so i think we may have met....

pockyD

Smash Legend
if i can find a way to pound i'll mm all of you =\

also it's insanely hard to find first-party controllers at all here in taiwan, much less awesome-colored ones

ps i don't recall ever trying to talk people out of tournaments... i just remember saying that i wouldn't participate, and others felt the same way already (taki, etc) - i had no idea that i held the hammer and everyone had to do as i did

xyt

Smash Lord
Outstanding MMs:

All 2/3

i remember us briefly mentioning a MM if i didn't use shiek..
but i forget.. @_@).... i wouldn't mind MM-ing w/ shiek either i guess.. lol

EDIT: pittsburgh let's go to this Ohio tourney~!! : D!!!
it should be good warm up for pound ! in addition to swift's tourney that's on the 26th
we should also try and bargain ohio players to come on the 26th for us showing up on the 19th lol
so wo is driving? XD

EDIT2: OMGOSH to think we complained about IC's being 2 characters..
Olimar is olike 7 XD lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
MMs I will do when I'm back in Pittsburgh:

confirmed MMs:

Wesley: ??
Dead-aim: $3
D20: $3
The Lake: ??
Taki: $3
Make it $3

Outstanding MMs:

All 2/3

Ok, $1 mm

I'm accepting MM's, just throw them my way and I'll take...
Ok, $5

i really like that idea

who wanna play 15 rounds with me?

with moderation i believe this kind of MM may work.

EDIT: yo ppl bring setups and if u have component cables PLZ bring them
Sure, I don't care about the format, so it's your pick, but I want to mm you.

As it seems to be in style right now, I'll throw out the open mm to whoever wants em. Best of 3, 5, or heYniveK style, up to $5 or $1/game in heYniveK style. Also, Rob, I don't care if you mm me, but I need to learn to play gay vs. Y. Link, so play me. I'm still shaken that I lost to f'in' Laijin.

EDIT:
bout time cleveland, some of us will def be there, i will most likely be there.
Sorry, I'm madly in love with MTG pre-releases, so this is a no go for me.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
edit not working.

we're going to cleveland no johns. this is what we've wanted right? Taki/sheik if y'all both show up, then i dunno who I wanna team with. if wes shows up, then shiek should team with wes because wes and taki never teamed evar.

D20

Smash Lord
ps i don't recall ever trying to talk people out of tournaments... i just remember saying that i wouldn't participate, and others felt the same way already (taki, etc) - i had no idea that i held the hammer and everyone had to do as i did
You're right, but you usually said a really well constructed sentence explaining why you didn't want to participate and, therefore, you indirectly convinced everyone that tournaments were lame.

<3

Wes, I'll play as many games as you want... I'll even reveal all the secrets for beating Young Link.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
Everyone should bring ur Pokemans today

I'm completely torn between the pre-release and Escape...

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
kevin ur in taiwan during pound too? would u be able to see the superbowl from taiwan if that were the case?

rob plz give me a ride to cleveland, or volt or someone.

xyt

Smash Lord
edit not working.

we're going to cleveland no johns. this is what we've wanted right? Taki/sheik if y'all both show up, then i dunno who I wanna team with. if wes shows up, then shiek should team with wes because wes and taki never teamed evar.
Wes is not going.. this is not only a problem for teams... but also a problem for rides... i definitely want to go... how we gonna do this??

MMs I will do when I'm back in Pittsburgh:

Make it $3

As it seems to be in style right now, I'll throw out the open mm to whoever wants em. Best of 3, 5, or heYniveK style, up to $5 or $1/game in heYniveK style. Also, Rob, I don't care if you mm me, but I need to learn to play gay vs. Y. Link, so play me. I'm still shaken that I lost to f'in' Laijin.
Deal.

and i guess the official name is now heYniveK style @_@).. lol

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Wes is not going.. this is not only a problem for teams... but also a problem for rides... i definitely want to go... how we gonna do this??

Deal.

and i guess the official name is now heYniveK style @_@).. lol
last time volt and rob drove, if they drive again we should be okay. Volt in the cases that rob doesnt drive and u do may i get a ride with you?, i have internetz for you

heynivek

Smash Apprentice
i'll start accepting/ challenging mm's in my signature format when i get back. i will have to say though, mm's are the most fun only when people haven't played each other in awhile, unless you have some sort of ongoing rivalry you would have to keep it fresh with different rules or something.

i'll be bringing to pittsburgh my red version of pokemon with a cable thingy, if anyone wants to play that.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
I might come today with a friend. If I come we'll both bring cubes and smiles =D

Heads-up for the future: there's a hefty two-day "tournament fest" being planned for my youth center for later this month. One of the games featured will be smash, and all the pot goes back to the players. Other games featured are Halo 3, Guitar Hero 3, and Pokemon D/P. It isn't something I planned personally...I don't know if it will be worth going to or if it will cross over the dates of important tournies. But the pot will be decent because a lot of local nobodies are coming.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I might come today with a friend. If I come we'll both bring cubes and smiles =D

Heads-up for the future: there's a hefty two-day "tournament fest" being planned for my youth center for later this month. One of the games featured will be smash, and all the pot goes back to the players. Other games featured are Halo 3, Guitar Hero 3, and Pokemon D/P. It isn't something I planned personally...I don't know if it will be worth going to or if it will cross over the dates of important tournies. But the pot will be decent because a lot of local nobodies are coming.
whoa, confirm a date, I like tournies with local nobodies beefing up the pot. :)

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
last time volt and rob drove, if they drive again we should be okay. Volt in the cases that rob doesnt drive and u do may i get a ride with you?, i have internetz for you

Then I definitely have to say yes.

I might have hockey games that day, but they also might be early in the morning. Or, I might not have them at all. If I don't have hockey, I'll drive to this.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero

hey rose feel free to do the 26th because i'll go to urs and not do mine.

im going to be there a little after 2pm

Rose

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, know of any transit that goes from the airport or state avenue in vanport to duquesne u.?

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Hmm..... 1Pm to 10Pm? That's crazy, 9 hours. o_O; Anyway, all the other threads are dead, I'm 14, just starting competitive Smash, run a pretty good Kirby, and I wanna know what I should do XD

D20

Smash Lord
Hmm..... 1Pm to 10Pm? That's crazy, 9 hours. o_O; Anyway, all the other threads are dead, I'm 14, just starting competitive Smash, run a pretty good Kirby, and I wanna know what I should do XD
Well, you don't have to show/leave at any particular time. For example, I was only there from 2-7 today. However, sometimes we run small tournaments that start at around 4.

In other news, your age really doesn't matter. As long as you can find transportation, it isn't a problem. For the most part, the players that come on Fridays are college kids (ages 19-24). Feel free to join.

Good stuff today guys. I think the tournament went fairly well... it took a bit too long, but we can work on that.

Results:
1. SwiftBass
2. D20
3. Takieddine
4. dead-aim
5. TSK

Other notes:
Evan, I have the controller, and you were also supposed to win one more dollar (I got that for you, too).
9Volt, thanks for always being prepared with tio and such.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Well, you don't have to show/leave at any particular time. For example, I was only there from 2-7 today. However, sometimes we run small tournaments that start at around 4.

In other news, your age really doesn't matter. As long as you can find transportation, it isn't a problem. For the most part, the players that come on Fridays are college kids (ages 19-24). Feel free to join.
Hehe, ^^; thanks I'm just worried I would stick out like a sore thumb, I'm so short <_< I'll see what I can do, but what basically goes on on Fridays? Just random Melee's/ Practicing with other people?

TheLake

Smash Master
Niice avatar...Mew for brawl! lol (;

Yeah mostly just messin around. I only went to one dusquene get together but it was a blast. The guys there are really cool and certainly make you feel welcome. Dont expect to play off the bat though but just hang around a TV and you'll get a shot.

@swiftbass/ Hey does that mean your having your tourny at rose's youth center now? O_o

Rose

Smash Journeyman
you should stop playing kirby, he sucks. lolz.

guys, the multi-game tournament is three days long (!!!), Jan. 25th, 26th, 27th. Not sure which day(s) will be smash, more news to come. It looks like a ****-ton of people will be there. I am making a separate topic for it.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
hurray~!~! noobs to take money from~~!!
ok.. that might be a bit mean.. sorry..
Lol ManaCloud

I'm pretty excited for this 3 day event. I might not be there all day, but I'll try to make it every day. Please tell me there will be a 2v2/4v4 Halo 3 tourney.

Top Bottom