• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official P:M Edmonton Thread!

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Arthur can no longer complain about the 1f lag utterly annihilating his falco game.

Niko_K

Smash Master
So how interested would everyone here be in attending a Canadian national in St.Catharines for Melee? It will attempt to include the majority of small communities which exist throughout our nation in clusters from province to province. I have a large venue with a 200+ capacity that I can rent for a mere $200 daily including bar to purchase soft drinks or alcoholic beverages with ID. This means that the day is covered from 20 individuals paying their venue fees allowing us to divert the excess funds from venue fees into a pot bonus to either extend who places within the money or increase the earnings of those who win.

Considering that it's a beachside venue I would aim to have this run Mid-End of July. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If I had any skill in Melee to speak of, I would totally be down. One way or another if this takes off I'll be totally rooting on my friends that do go.

Stevo

Smash Champion
So how interested would everyone here be in attending a Canadian national in St.Catharines for Melee? It will attempt to include the majority of small communities which exist throughout our nation in clusters from province to province. I have a large venue with a 200+ capacity that I can rent for a mere $200 daily including bar to purchase soft drinks or alcoholic beverages with ID. This means that the day is covered from 20 individuals paying their venue fees allowing us to divert the excess funds from venue fees into a pot bonus to either extend who places within the money or increase the earnings of those who win.

Considering that it's a beachside venue I would aim to have this run Mid-End of July. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
July unfortunately doesn't work for me.... and I can't even guarantee that I could go if it was in August either. I think it is a good idea, though.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
So what would you guys say to a Project: M Top 10 Power Ranking after the next tournament?

idk about you guys, but I wouldn't mind trying to secure a Top 3/4 spot as a Charizard main.

Also save for my Up + B supposedly having a little nerf in killing power, I got nothing but buffs it looks like. I can act out of my Glide attack now.

Get hyped for some new Charizard technology.

[EDIT]

Also Norfair's a playable stage now. I think I may have found a new stage to call home. ...I'll keep going to Dracula's Castle still though.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Top 10 PR with only brawl players + me since the melee players don't show up \o/.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Top 10 PR with only brawl players + me since the melee players don't show up \o/.
Top 3, you, Jack and Luke. Everyone else? Brawl.

lol

I'll try to show up more
Unless you show up more. I want some awesome DK vs. Charizard matches!

[EDIT]

Also, Jamie. Welcome back! Be afraid of Charizard. VERY afraid. He practically got nothing but buffs (I was mistaken about acting out of glide attack; can act out of glide though).

I'll say it here and now, Charizard is gonna be the anti-spacy with his shield properties and reward for getting a hit. Not to mention my gimping options.

Also, **** Subspace. I'm unlocking everyone again, and gotta get the stages afterwards too. Not to mention all the music. I know that doesn't effect P:M since it overrides everything, but for normal Brawl too. I'll be able to bring my Wii for the next monthly.

Limeee

Smash Champion
no

also p:m 2.5 feels really amazing
fox and falco feel amazing
wolf feels weird for some reason, probably too much playing fox makes him seem bad
diddy kong feels good but i have no idea what to do with him
ZSS squirtle and ivysaur are really awesome and i want to play them next smashfest

also, the stage striking menu in stage select, doesn't have lylat in the first page,so we can't strike lylat using that method (no striking of stages in the second page of stages)
kinda sucks
:009:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
New Starter Stagelist for 2.5 imo,

• Final Destination
• Battlefield
• Pokémon Stadium 2
• Smashville
• Wario Ware
• Yoshi's Story (Melee)

Striking system is 2-2-1 (so basically BC with Wario Ware) - Or 1-2-2, whichever order works for you.

I'll think of counterpicks later when I'm not dead tired.

[EDIT] If we were going to keep the 5-starters only thing, I'd even argue getting rid of Yoshi's Story to have Wario Ware over it due to Randall (not calling him bull**** or anything, never was imo since he's on a plotted course, but...hey. INTEREFERENCE! Same thing could be said for Smashville's platform but we always see it.)

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Randall isn't a good reason to call it "interference" since it comes out in a pattern. Tons of people have memorized when he comes out on which side for recovery / edgeguarding purposes.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Yeah, hence why I said plotted course. But if we had to stick with 5 stages, I'd take Wario Ware over Yoshi's Story.

Of course the easier thing to do is just make the starter list the six I mentioned.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
also, the stage striking menu in stage select, doesn't have lylat in the first page,so we can't strike lylat using that method (no striking of stages in the second page of stages)
kinda sucks
I think this is a sign that you need to realize how ****ing bad a stage lylat is.

, I'd even argue getting rid of Yoshi's Story to have Wario Ware over it due to Randall
Based on the fact that the stage list you made is looking to be higher end competitive over just random fun and trying things like the previous lists, I'm going to say yoshi's over warioware is my opinion, if it works for melee players, it's not a problem.

But really, platform sillyness is way more favourited by warioware than yoshi's.

That being said, whatever.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think this is a sign that you need to realize how ****ing bad a stage lylat is.

Based on the fact that the stage list you made is looking to be higher end competitive over just random fun and trying things like the previous lists, I'm going to say yoshi's over warioware is my opinion, if it works for melee players, it's not a problem.

But really, platform sillyness is way more favourited by warioware than yoshi's.

That being said, whatever.
to the Lylat being bad part, I wouldn't exactly call it BAD, but I'd definitely call it counterpick material. The tilting stage is a pain in the *** at times but it's not gamebreaking like some of the random hazards.

And for the stagelist itself? I'm not trying to say that I don't want Yoshi's Story as a starter. Only that I'd take Wario Ware over Yoshi's Story if we HAD to stick with 5 stages only for Starters. Yoshi's Story and Wario Ware both mess up my game with Charizard due to me using SHDAir under a platform and I automatically go up a platform without hitting anyone; but I ain't complaining about that.

Yes Melee players (and myself included) are just fine with Yoshi's Story, but look at the layout of Wario Ware. No change in side platforms (Randall on a set course for Yoshi's) and I don't see where the platform sillyness comes into play. The roofs and walls for Yoshi's and Wario are close to identical. Difference being that there's no middle upper platform on Wario Ware, just two stacking platforms on both sides.

But ultimately I don't want to get rid of either one, and will stick with my plan of 6 Starters, Yoshi's Story and Wario Ware both included.

As for my stagelist not being as random and fun?

We're still playing little tournaments and having some competitive fun. Besides, more stages is exactly what the counterpick list is going to entail. And it's gonna be a big one to decide from with the same thing we've been doing before with banning 3 stages upon victory.

[EDIT]

... I say as if I'm in charge of the whole proceedings. LOL Take everything I say with a grain of salt. Just some ideas on my part since I'm excited for this part of the community.

T-block

B2B TST
would comment, but i'm unfamiliar with the extent of lylat's effect with melee mechanics

that said, if we're going to insist on tame stages for starters, i don't see what's wrong with:

battlefield
yoshi's story
dream land 64/fountain of dreams
final destination
green hill zone
metal cavern
pokemon stadium 2
smashville
wario ware
skyloft

or something similar... why do we need this magical number of 5 or 6 starters? something like the above gives a nice variation in terms of blastzone distances, platform configurations, overall stage size, etc, while still catering to some players' fear of stage interaction. i think it's a nice compromise.

edit: oh and NORFAIR even though i've hated how that stage plays out so far haha

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Skyloft? I am okay with this. But if we're going to have a place like Dream Land 64, Dracula's Castle should be a starter as well due to its size. Fountain of Dreams also has its platforms randomly changing in height.

Looking at that list if we go for experimenting and diversity to strike from...

I got no objections to that, actually. Conservative or more diverse yet still tame, the 6 starter list and Mike's list looks good.

T-block

B2B TST
drop FoD then... imo it's functionally similar to dream land.

the idea isn't to say "dream land is big and it's a starter... dracula's castle is big too, so it can also be a starter". it's to sample the stage list to capture as wide a range as possible in the spectra of various stage characteristics.

drac's castle felt kinda redundant in this list (covered mostly by FD imo) in the same way that having both FoD and DL64 felt redundant, but i personally wouldn't oppose it. no real reason to reject redundancy in the first place imo. the platforms move *gasp* randomly though, no?

and i feel that drac's castle affords WAY more space to the players than DL64 does... to the point that it's more similar to FD in my mind than to DL64.

Limeee

Smash Champion
replace skyloft with ps1 and id be happy

skyloft could skew some matchups (peach vs ganon on dk64 syndrome)
and ps1 adds terrain and walls to fill a niche without being imbalanced

take this with a grain of salt but from what i remember most people are against skyloft
its pretty "gay"

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
skyloft is pretty huge, and yeah, its high plats makes the game like dk64
Pretty huge? Try Dreamland 64. The roof on that stage is ridiculously huge and nobody bats an eye to that. And no to Pokémon Stadium 1 imo.

As for skewing match-ups? Yoshi's Story is Marth paradise. Don't want to take me to Skyloft, just strike it. That's the point of striking anyway.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
skyloft is trash, definitely don't starter it

don't think i'd starter green hill zone though, and i'm not saying that cause of dislike for the stage cause i actually like it. but equivocally i also like the new rumble falls and that SSE stage but neither of those should really be starter either

maybe a list like:

final destination
battlefield
fountain of dreams
dream land
yoshi's story
pokemon stadium (the static one that has no transformations)
metal cavern
animal crossing
warioware
kongo jungle 64

i don't think lylat is that bad tbh but it really seems like it always comes down to "both players hate the map but who hates it more and has to waste their strike" kind of thing; if no one likes it then i guess there's no point in keeping it

edit: on second thought i'm really tired and maybe i'm misjudging green hill zone but i definitely think that at least one of either green hill zone or kongo jungle 64 should be starter. but if neither were starter and the list was too skewed favoring smaller maps then i'd eliminate fountain over metal cavern imo, especially if fountain still lags (anybody tested it yet?)

edit2: is the green greens in pm the same one as in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaO9l-LMeAo
if so, then it's definitely starter worthy despite the fact that it looks like battlefied/ys

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
First of all Tyler, **** you Skyloft is the best stage in the game.

Second of all, I agree, trash it for starters. It's just... not that kinda stage.

And as for all the stage lists, you all seem to have good ideas just differing opinions of restrictiveness. Like, I would say FoD over something like warioware in fairness ANY day. But then we get into game theory and matchups and it becomes a big fuss that is all opinionated.

I would have no objections to playing on virtually any stage you guys mentioned, and from what I am aware you guys sure cant get enough of stage striking so I just dont have to go to a ****ty stage like metal cavern. (which is a really bad starter lol)

Crusayer

Smash Lord
SSE is FAR too huge to even be considered for singles and KJ64's not even legal under melee standards nowadays, why would it be a starter on PM lol.

I'm also definitely against cavern as a starter as well. That kind of tight space feels almost like CP material against some characters.

Fountain doesn't lag anymore since they took out the reflections.

And we don't have green greens anymore. That stage is replaced by Dreamland.

Also, how about that norfair stage now? It's only four platforms with no lava. It's like skyworld essentially.

Kuraudo said:
Dreamland has a higher roof, doesn't it?
Okay yeah, I just tested it. DL64's ceiling is quite a bit further than Drac Castle. Marth died from a fox usmash at like 93 on DL whereas he died at 77 on castle. Castle's ceiling is the same as PS2 and PS1's too.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
You do realize you are agreeing with me when you say SSE is too big, I said I love the stage but there's no way in hell that that's justification for making it a starter. Same applies to any other stage.

I don't see what's wrong with KJ64 besides potential stalling but that's a null strategy in doubles. Saying it isn't legal under new melee standards doesn't say much either when the BR has literally banned every stage in melee now except the original 6 neutrals. I'd see little actual reasons for banning it in doubles aside from the inconsistency in having a separate doubles/singles list, but even that in itself is more of an appeal to antiquity than concern for how lazy we all are (lol).

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Even if it was legal back then, it was still a counter pick stage. Arguing for it to be a starter is pretty weird. If you said CP, I'm okay with that too lol. Just not as a starter in singles.

Doubles, I'm fine with KJ64 as well.

If you put in KJ64 as a starter, might as well add in norfair, skyworld, lylat (everyone hating it doesn't mean it's not legal), PS1, Green Hill, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), and Halberd.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
A starter list can be a bit more liberal than a neutral list though, back then everything was randomed with no strikes so it had to be more conservative for obvious reasons

In any case, I guess I probably don't see KJ64 being a singles starter but I'll defend it as a good doubles starter.

And sadface at not having that edited Green Greens. :(

KullaN_xo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0584-6923
Hey everyone.
I'm super new to these forums (Just made an account today) and i saw these regions which made me get very excited.
I want to get into competitive stuff soon since ive been playing smash since i was 8 and now im 17 looking to really get into it.
So how do i start? do i go and meet you guys? I would really like a mentor.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Sweet welcome dude Ya just show up.we meet a few times every month usually at the uofa and we just smash for the day! We can let you know when the next event is otherwise you can find us on facebook (we have a group)

KullaN_xo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0584-6923
I'm not on Facebook... but if could still look at the page. you would have to tell me where you guys are in there so i can find you.
A little linky to the page would be cool :)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I dont think thats noor, jamie. We went crazy when we found out he was a friend of yours yesterday tho hahaha.

yeah man check it out. It's a closed group so lemme know if you can see it, im not sure if you need to be invited into or something.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/388269574561146/

but otherwise, if you dont have facebook thats cool, we'll keep you updated. Some other good threads to keep an eye on are
http://smashboards.com/threads/92006/unread for the general alberta thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/314331/ for the monthly events

Top Bottom