• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official OMG Tonight Prediction Thread

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
I understand what your saying, and I'm most likely over exaggerating (I do need sleep). But I'm glad that at least you know that it's not that great and Nintendo doesn't always deliver. I'm sick and tired of fanboys saying everything we've gotten is perfect. No rooms is far from perfect.
I used to bag on people, too, who complained about updates. And I think I had every right to. But, the past 5 weeks of updates have been so terrible, that I really can't get on anyone's case about it. As if November wasn't bad enough, Sakurai is trying to outdo that whole month just in this week (make it collectively worse, that is).

Anyway, stop kidding yourselves into thinking things are better than they are. Why do I saw this is bad? Well, any update which actually compels me to not buy the game is a bad update in my book. This is one of those. This update actually makes me less excited to own the game.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I understand what your saying, and I'm most likely over exaggerating (I do need sleep). But I'm glad that at least you know that it's not that great and Nintendo doesn't always deliver. I'm sick and tired of fanboys saying everything we've gotten is perfect. No rooms is far from perfect.
Heh, well since it's at somewhat of an understanding I won't drag the point out any furhter then :laugh:

More then anything is if we had rooms, it would have been one of those things I wouldn't have ever expected anyhoo XD Probably why it doesn't bother me.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Can you please tell me that you understand the benefits of rooms now, because I don't know how much more clear I can make it. You understand that rooms would make BOTH of us happier, right? Dude, we gotta play sometime... I can't wait to play everyone...
I know that rooms would be better than what we've got now, but what we've got is what we've got (though hopefully not, ya dig?). Anyway, if not, then I hope we can definitely have more than 64 friends on our list. Hope to play you in the future too...

...whenever I get a Wii.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
They don't have rooms so that parents don't worry about their kids talking with strangers. They want to make this game appeal to all the people they can.
Make the rooms have no talking then, just make your room, and people search for rooms with the rules they like and enter the fight. Instead of making everyone having to compromise, why not make everyone happy.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

So you can pick the rules you want to play with... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!
To play a different way, every single time, with no feelings of repetetiveness, thats what you want?
Rooms will not matter! Who cares if U want to play a certain way, don't force it on everybody else!
Some people want short, random matches! Some people want Items! Get over your Rooms!

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Mario Kart DS was only bad because:

1. No Airship Fortress.
2. No Tick Tock Clock.
3. You will ALWAYS be blue-shelled right before winning.
4. Everyone chooses Rob.
5. People who were about to lose would disconnect. You would get ZERO wins, but when you disconect, you get 4 losses.
6. No Airship Fortress.
7. The amount of people playing with a name belonging to a certain German dictator...

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
I used to bag on people, too, who complained about updates. And I think I had every right to. But, the past 5 weeks of updates have been so terrible, that I really can't get on anyone's case about it. As if November wasn't bad enough, Sakurai is trying to outdo that whole month just in this week (make it collectively worse, that is).

Anyway, stop kidding yourselves into thinking things are better than they are. Why do I saw this is bad? Well, any update which actually compels me to not buy the game is a bad update in my book. This is one of those. This update actually makes me less excited to own the game.

ur a very very SAD little person...tsk tsk

Azariel

Smash Rookie
Ismar, your argument is that its not fair for hypno to force his way of playing on everyone else. Isnt that EXACTLY what sakurai is doing by forcing us to play his way? Ironic

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I know that rooms would be better than what we've got now, but what we've got is what we've got (though hopefully not, ya dig?). Anyway, if not, then I hope we can definitely have more than 64 friends on our list. Hope to play you in the future too...

...whenever I get a Wii.
Ok, I'm off to bed. I'm still in HS you know...

But yeah, I just want everyone to understand that rooms are the best, logically. And rooms aren't hard to do either, lol, get a wii, we'll have some fun next year...

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
XD

If I had read closer I woulda answered my own question:

"You can cast one vote for the stage you want to play. A stage is chosen by lottery from among those voted on by the players.

Also, the items that are turned off in the item switch are also determined by lottery."

So it seems all the players choose items... and then it selects some of those items for the brawl... so if no one chooses items then no items can be chosen at random...

Also...

OPTIONS... Maybe you choose stock etc in here... and then go onto the next screen which is:

So perhaps it matches you up with people with similar or identical settings?

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Ok this is how it works people:

It uses items selections of each player to influence what will happen in the match, and then everyone puts a coin (vote) on for what stage they want, which also influences it.

Once a lot of people have no items on, boom, problem solved.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
XD

If I had read closer I woulda answered my own question:

"You can cast one vote for the stage you want to play. A stage is chosen by lottery from among those voted on by the players.

Also, the items that are turned off in the item switch are also determined by lottery."

So it seems all the players choose items... and then it selects some of those items for the brawl... so if no one chooses items then no items can be chosen at random...

Also...

OPTIONS... Maybe you choose stock etc in here... and then go onto the next screen which is:

So perhaps it matches you up with people with similar or identical settings?
sounds good :) hopefully the noobs will stop cryin

BoAKaN

Smash Apprentice
Today's update wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...I've been wondering how wifi would work and I am glad he explained it.

RikyuXz.~

Smash Apprentice
SAKURAI IS STILL AMAZING AND EPIC! STOP MAKING FUN OF HIM! Sakurai is doing an INCREDIBLE JOB AT MAKING THIS GAME, POSSIBLY THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you all complain because we didn't get a character updated tonight. WELL GUESS WHAT: IT WAS STILL AN AMAZING UPDATE! WHO GIVES A TESTEMUNCH IF IT WAS A CHARACTER?

Thank you, Sakurai, for ALL of your updates!

Jeeze, I wouldnt be surprised if he delayed the game just to take characters out or make SSE worse because of all your complaing, give you guys something really to complain about.

Sakurai is an epic win. And, Smashboards, YOU must recover!
lol nice@ the last sentence

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
1. That is NOT the starting roster.

2. We're on Smashboards. We have no right to complain if "With Anyone" blows because there are always tons of people on these boards, ready to share wii numbers, and brawl for hours. We all know that's what we're gonna do. Who cares about the crappy With Anyone mode.

3. Honestly, haven't any of you played online games and then it suddenly ended because the opponent got disconnected? I'm glad it's replaced with a CPU.

4. EVERYONE ON EARTH WILL BE ABLE TO TELL RIGHT AWAY THAT IT SWTICHED TO A CPU PLAYER. You won't have to second guess your victories, and if you still have a problem with that then see number 2.

5. Nintendo thinks of itself as family friendly, we can't have 17 year olds putting things like "suck my ____" and "____ your mom!" for their taunts (and we all KNOW that's what we're gonna do with our friends), so this was the only way to keep it clean without going all out and having names and rooms and rankings and whatever that I'm sure they couldn't pull off with a Wii (considering how slow the Shop Channel and download time is with these things), and if they could, we'd have to expect Brawl in 2009. Again, it's no big deal. See number 2.

Eagle

Smash Lord

Notice at the top right corner is the Items icon.

So I'm sure the players can influence items in some way.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Sakurai was pretty smart on the CPU thing, just someone tries to leave, u still would not lose.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
what if a noob is playing another noob... and a noob leaves and becomes a level 9 and starts roxing the other noob XD

worldjem7

Smash Ace
With Anyone mode = Casual players and worse
With Friends mode = competitive players and better

No one competitive is ever going to touch the "with anyone" mode because of this annonymity and randomness. Anyone even TRYING to get better will be using the "with friends" mode

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
5. Nintendo thinks of itself as family friendly, we can't have 17 year olds putting things like "suck my ____" and "____ your mom!" for their taunts (and we all KNOW that's what we're gonna do with our friends), so this was the only way to keep it clean without going all out and having names and rooms and rankings and whatever that I'm sure they couldn't pull off with a Wii (considering how slow the Shop Channel and download time is with these things), and if they could, we'd have to expect Brawl in 2009. Again, it's no big deal. See number 2.
Agreed that they can't have the taunts, but I see no reason why they can't see out 5 letter name. Is a pedophile really gonna find out where "Chris" lives or who he is, especially sinc ehe will never have contact with him again?

They even put it in the menu that it would have no names. It's somehting like "Brawl with anyone all over the world! (no names)"

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

No one competitive is ever going to touch the "with anyone" mode because of this annonymity and randomness. Anyone even TRYING to get better will be using the "with friends" mode
I will:p

10chars

TwistedAvatar

Smash Rookie
Why does anyone who has any criticism at all get flamed as just another complaining noob? I think replacing disconnecting players with CPU's was a great idea. Of course you can still probably tell the difference but it's way better then just getting a game disconnected message. I really wanted rooms too and I'm not sure why everyone seems to be against them either. To me, they just seem to make customizing your online battle much easier. Now there's always a chance of having to play random battles on random levels with random items with a random amount of people. Rooms just seem to make everything less random, which is nice sometimes. I'm not complaining, I love Nintendo and I know this game will be awesome, but that doesn't mean I can't give any criticism either ;)

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
What they should have done is have rooms AND random matches. As in, people will make rooms with whatever rules they want, and you can either go through the rooms individually, or just hit "Random" and it'll throw you into a room that has space.

If you are going to choose random, you'd have to understand that you don't get a say in the rules or items being used. For some, that would be fine. Others will have a cow. For those people, make/find a room that fits what you like.

Equinox076

Smash Apprentice
Back on topic...

I think monday's update will be...

BRAWL CANCELLED!
Yes, It's true!
Sakurai has given up on Brawl, due to the fact that he cant seem to get it right for all of these WHINGEING *****ES!!

Honestly, If you guys are going to ***** about every single detail of this game, then save yourself the trouble and dont bother playing the game. that way I wont have to worry about fighting you guys when I play brawl WITH ANYONE!

47drift

Smash Journeyman

I'll be using With Anyone more frequently, actually. I mean, sheesh, whatever happened to the good old days when games were a form of entertainment for personal enjoyment instead of an event to train for? I just wanna play the game to have a good time :D

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I believe most (if not all) people will agree with you that rooms would be be better than no rooms. What's to hate about more customizable matches? :)

He's dumb for thinking people don't want to know who they are playing against, period. More over, not having rooms, or being able to set a time limit it outrageous. I was hoping Nintendo and Sakurai would being their A game for Smash but I guess I'm gonna be picking up a PS3 (Street Fighter 4).
I would imagine you'd rather get to chose EXACTLY what stage, items, time/stock you'd want to play with rather then have a set time limit, always play against 3 other people and not really pick anything. I mean, I can sort of understand the ranking system thing... sort of, but no rooms, seriously, Sakurai... go **** on yourself.
So you can pick the rules you want to play with... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!
I hate how people think I complain too much just because I'm not a fanboy who acts like everything Sakurai announces is god or something, no rooms is just stupid, period. Rooms make everyone happy.
In fact I don't think anyone in the posts you responded to were arguing that having no rooms was a great option. I think what they were getting at is that we know that rooms are a good idea, but you don't see us complaining. It just kind of makes you seem a little conceited.

Make the rooms have no talking then, just make your room, and people search for rooms with the rules they like and enter the fight. Instead of making everyone having to compromise, why not make everyone happy.
Isn't the point of a compromise that both sides get something they want, therefore making everyone happy instead of not getting anything they want their way?

It's still a disappointment though, some time you just want to play someone you don't know, with your rules.
Doesn't everyone want to play with their rules? lol. I'm sure everyone will be happy to play with your rules and none of their own.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I'll be using With Anyone more frequently, actually. I mean, sheesh, whatever happened to the good old days when games were a form of entertainment for personal enjoyment instead of an event to train for? I just wanna play the game to have a good time :D
Then you're either a Casual Gamer or you're screwin' around.

Like I posted earlier (on this very page I might add) there's always time to just sit back screw around and have fun doing crazy random things.

All I meant to give was a general conception of what the online usage would look like.

Top Bottom