• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official OMG Tonight Prediction Thread

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Let's just say they have Zelda in the game... which they do. And let's just say not only could she transform into Sheik... but Tetra (I think that's her name) also. Same thing. Not a horrible idea.

Salaad

Smash Ace
I'm not done ranting.

Not only is it a bad idea, but it's extremely unbalanced. You have three characters for the price of one, in which all of them have different strengths. I'm sure Charizard or whatever is a powerhouse, and that turtle is probably fast. When you choose a character, you choose a character and gets strengths and weaknesses. This way, you're giving a person the advantage by having so many different strengths at your disposal.

I just don't think it's a balanced character.
Sakurai said:
They all share the same damage meter, so they don’t recover from damage during Pokémon Change. But they also have another stat, which you might call stamina.

If you keep fighting with the same Pokémon, or if you change them out too often, it’s not so good for the Pokémon.

If you want to be a good Pokémon Trainer, you’ll need to learn these kinds of ins and outs.
I think Sakurai said something that might even it out a little. xD

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
This is not a good idea. This is turning into a Pokemon fighting game (and we already have that, it's Pokemon Stadium.) The Pokemon already take up a huge portion of the game, and we already have Pikachu as a fighter, and we can almost guarantee the return of Jigglypuff.
Your problem is that there's too much representation of one of the most popular franchises owned by the company? Was Melee a Mario fighting game because of the large number of characters taken from the Mario universe?

If they were going to add this trainer, then they should have at least gave it some personality. The way it stands now, it's just an unoriginal idea and lacks depth.
That last sentence makes absolutely no sense. Unoriginal idea? Having the character use other characters for him sounds pretty original to me. I don't remember that kind of character being in any of the previous versions of the game.

Lacks depth? Having three different characters with presumably three different playstyles can only ADD to the depth.

You might as well turn those three Pokemon into playable characters then, because the trainer is utterly useless by himself (and I'm not being serious. This is bad enough.)
If the character was called "Red/Blue Starting Pokemon" would it make you feel better? Don't even focus on the trainer. He doesn't fight and is unimportant to the play at all.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I'm not done ranting.

Not only is it a bad idea, but it's extremely unbalanced. You have three characters for the price of one, in which all of them have different strengths. I'm sure Charizard or whatever is a powerhouse, and that turtle is probably fast. When you choose a character, you choose a character and get strengths and weaknesses. This way, you're giving a person the advantage by having so many different strengths at your disposal.

I just don't think it's a balanced character. (And you're right, I'm never using this character, and this character will never see the light of day in my fights.)
But you don't have all of those strengths at the same time. You will have strengths and you will have weaknesses not matter who is out. That's like saying Zelda/Sheik is broken because she's fast AND has a great recovery. You can't use Zelda's strengths when you're using Sheik at the time.

This is just like Zelda/Sheik except that Sakurai seems to be discouraging only using one character with what he calls "stamina".

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
people should be happy bout this update, it proves that brawl is not gonna be melee wiith better graphics and that we can definitley expect a wide range of characters and isnt that the point to have characters that are diffrent than the rest and seein how the roster will be quite large its nice to have characters like this.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
I'm extremely happy, actually. This broadens the ideas of everything! So that means no ideas are too ********.

Ok, some are. This doesn't confirmed Burnt Toast as a playable character.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
You make a good point, but what I meant was, let's say you're using a character who can't change, they are stuck with the same strengths and weaknesses, they can't swap them out. I think it's unfair for a character to be able to swamp out their strengths and weaknesses (or rather, change characters in battle.)

Salaad

Smash Ace
You make a good point, but what I meant was, let's say you're using a character who can't change, they are stuck with the same strengths and weaknesses, they can't swap them out. I think it's unfair for a character to be able to swamp out their strengths and weaknesses (or rather, change characters in battle.)
I kind of agree, but I'm still sticking with what Sakurai said...

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Which is true... you do have your opinion. Just don't say it's a horrible idea! lol.

Well, with the inclusion of Pokemon Trainer... who wants Gold, Ruby, and Diamond as characters?!

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
I see your point. You're worried about in-game counterpicking. Those fears should be assuaged though due to the 2nd part of the update:

They all share the same damage meter, so they don’t recover from damage during Pokémon Change. But they also have another stat, which you might call stamina.

If you keep fighting with the same Pokémon, or if you change them out too often, it’s not so good for the Pokémon.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Man this update just opens the doors to so many characters being in brawl.....

*clapping* Sakurai has done it again

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Now that that's done... I can complain about the graphics. Woo, those Pokemon look like crap! lol. jk.

Good Job, Sakurai and the Brawl crew. You've just made sleeping harder for me.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
hmmm maybe captin olimar could be playable after after this update i mean he could send pikmins to attack and u could control difrent types of pikmin and the final smash could be thousands of pikmins throwing the other characters of the stage :laugh:

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Here's my 2 cents:

You will be proven right if the stamina thing is not important.

You will be proven wrong if the stamina really matters (like you get pwned without it) and it goes down quite fast OR with each move you make, in both cases, after your "counterpick" you'ld have to switch back and be ***** again.

As to the whole SSB turning into a pokemon game... wait, from mario series we have:

Donkey Kong, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi. (allright, DK and Mario are really from the DK series, but it's a little complicated to go into that)

From Pokemon we have:

Trainer, Pikachu, Pichu, Mewtwo, Jiggly.

And we know that Mario, DK, Bowser and Yoshi will be in Brawl, we only know for sure about Trainer and Pickachu. Now Peach and Luigi are quite likely, but only Jiggly is very likely out of the Pokemon ones.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . .. OMFG this is alsome!!!!

This pwns SOOOO hard!
3 starters as one character in a way thats NEVER EVER been in Smash. This brakes any thoughts that smash characters will be just like melee characters but look better with FS attacks.

Blackadder

Smash Master
No.
Say it ain't so Sakurai!
What the f**k is this?
This is going to be unbalanced like all hell. I dislike this idea, very...very...much.

Blackadder

Smash Master
What, a "Blue".
This trainer is clearly red or "ash" as he is on the anime.
Still...this is...crap.

Blackadder

Smash Master
It doesn't work.
This could be potentialy very unbalenced. And it just doesn't strike me as Smash brothers, and more of a mere gimick. This is the thing, see. Sakurai is throwing in gimick characters to the game to fill up the roster, to add to the hype. That's cool for Captain n00blet, but to me, it really comes of as slack and silly.

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
It's an awesome idea. To the Peach guy...wow, cry some more. It says you HAVE to switch every so often to avoid the Pokemon getting fatigued, nor can you switch too frequently or suffer the same fate. I'm pretty sure that particular aspect of this characters was made so that nobody could cry that it's unfair to have a 3-in-1 character, but apparently you didn't even read what the update said before you started complaining.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think this character is awesome. Initially, I baulked at the prospect of a playable trainer, as all I could see was the Trainer actually fighting on the stage. But this way, the Trainer doesn't have to fight and instead we get 3 awesome characters in one. I will definitely be trying these guys out when I get the game...

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't work.
This could be potentialy very unbalenced. And it just doesn't strike me as Smash brothers, and more of a mere gimick. This is the thing, see. Sakurai is throwing in gimick characters to the game to fill up the roster, to add to the hype. That's cool for Captain n00blet, but to me, it really comes of as slack and silly.
All characters have the potential to be unbalanced. You'll just have to wait and see when the game comes out. You can't just assume a character is unbalanced after only seeing one "move" (if you can really count changing a character as a move).

Can't really argue with the rest since it's just opinion. What you see as gimmicky I see as unique.

Blackadder

Smash Master
All characters have the potential to be unbalanced. You'll just have to wait and see when the game comes out. You can't just assume a character is unbalanced after only seeing one "move" (if you can really count changing a character as a move).

Can't really argue with the rest since it's just opinion. What you see as gimmicky I see as unique.
Agreed.
I know I have to wait, really.
I just...dislike this really.
But ehh. I'm just a crazy old outdated smasher I guess. :p

tirkaro

Smash Champion
all naysayers, shut the hell up. this character looks AWESOME and looks EXTREMELY fun to play as. I already know my new main in brawl now :D

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
i don;t think peach is going to be confirmed until like next week now even though she is semi comfirmed because they never usually do two confirms in one week.
i think its going to be a item which is going to be confirmed no clue of what type of item though

Blackadder

Smash Master
I find it all interesting. Sakurai has shown us two completely new characters in a very short period of time. If he is willing to do this, the games inner secrets look like they are going to be shown in all there glory more often.

Top Bottom