• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Oklahoma Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Smash Ace
Good to hear that man, you definitely have what it takes to take top in OHSNAP3. There's just something special about having everything on the line with everyone watching and cheering on.....

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Meh, I was watching some EvoEast matches, and it got me in the mood to get back into all the other fighters. Lol, maybe we could do some kind of "Every Fighting Game Challenge" or something, including Shaq Fu (j/k on the shaqfu >_>).
i decided, for now, im just focusing on smash. if you bring your dc to a smashfest, or your ps2, or whatever, ill play you at whatever. but as far as competitive play goes, smash is it for me for now.

also, im glad someone believes in me.

i AM winning ohsnap3. i know i can do it, ill just have to play people every day i have off. that probably means that chris/bryan/shade/brett and whoever else is willing to ahve me over will be seeing alot of me...

i guess no one wants mm : (. besides alex anyway.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
You KNOW I'm gonna MM you, Andy. I WILL NOT lose twice... you may have won Round One, but I promise you there won't be a second time. $20, best 2 of 3, standard rules.

Also, never before have I taken a loss so hard before. I just KNEW I was going to win this tournament, then when Marc beat me it was like, "What? That's not right..." If only there had been a loser's bracket, I could have demonstrated the greatest comeback ever. No johns, however.

I lost because my opponent(s) were better than me at the time, but all you chumps better start training, because losing is no longer an option. I won't even allow the concept of losing to enter my frame of mind. I'm dead set on winning OHSNAP3, and even though I'll be facing the greatest players ever at OC3, I don't plan on losing to any of them either.

I want my **** props, and I'm going to get them, no matter who I have to go through. I've always approached the game with a certain amount of casuality, but now, after losing so shamefully, I'm actually kinda pissed off. Not at anyone in particular, but mainly at myself for allowing Marc and Andy to defeat me. I could have, nay SHOULD have won those matches, and I will prove to EVERYONE just what the Pimpest Luigi is all about.

Come with it.

Gravity

Smash Ace
alright po, just so you know ill go as high as you want on that rematch.

atleast i know how you feel...i COULD have beaten pablo in semifinals...but i had to go and SD. oh well.

also chris, bring it.

-edit- just so you know, im winning ohsnap3. sorry brandon. sorry babac. sorry pablo. sorry bryan. sorry chris. sorry coty. sorry pros from texas. im winning it.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Wow, I sounded so serious and angry in that last post...

Anyway, I wanted to give much props to Pablo for doing it big and winning the tourney. Forest(2nd Place) congrats for pissing Babac off so much. It was hilarious.

Good stuff from everyone all around. I'm sorry I couldn't do more to show my skills, but there is always next time. Thanks to Chris for giving some advice, and Good luck to Pablo, Bryan, Coty and Chris in Dallas. Show them what OK is made of!

X_A

Smash Rookie
Sup guys - seems I visit this site about once a year... lol

Anyway - an update - first off as I posted in the main forum here, ssb64 2v2, and ssbm 1v1 this Sunday -
http://www.okgamers.com/forums/index.php?topic=580.0

Second off - my group of friends / me and at least a few of them have finally started converting to Melee... As painful as that has been.

Anyway - as a result, in Tulsa I have a weekly thursday night game night. Smash is always a feature it seems, with SC3 and other randoms, and board games on occasion as well. Melee/64 players from around the area / whatever are more than welcome; all I ask for is a basic sense of manners and to not break / steal things :). 31st and Yale area. My mobile aim is mobilesaif - hit me up there if my normal aim, etc don't get you a response.

X A

X_A

Smash Rookie
execute - I suspect the 'tulsa tournaments' would be the one I just linked to, as I know of no other tournaments happening regularly in the area, other than maybe what gets thrown together at Gridcon, a monthly anime/gaming event.

There actually are monthly tournaments in Tulsa, but almost none of us attend those, so the level of competition won't be as high. However, we are hosting a much bigger tournament...
And why is that?

First off - while the OKC area may hold down the talent for the state, by this boards own power ranking South Paw, recognized as second in the state? Has attended the tournaments regularly, thanks much. 'Won't be high', geez, you could at least give the 2 or 3 decent teams that have shown up and done well for where they are at some recognition.

And if your looking for SSB64 competition? I feel we'll have some high level competition, with notice; k thx.

Second off - why is that? In-ablity to travel, or some kinda exclusion due to us not posting on these boards, or some click deal? At this point, I'm not looking to flame, I'm just looking to understand the mindset.

X A

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Hes trying to say that even though SP went there, who was his compitition? OKC, Edmond, Moore, Norman, those areas have the best in the state and tulsa is far away from each one, making it less likely for us to go. South Paw has no job, yet has money to go...all over the **** state, how the hell does he get his money? Thats beside the point, something to think about though, the tourny that is being held in August will have, not only the best in OK, but (hopefully) the best from the surrounding states.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
X to tha A, If my current transportation woes were not a problem, I would be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, most of our Smashers are high-school kids with no cars, so they have no means of travel, so I can't hitch a ride...

You guys should definitely come to OHSNAP3 this August, it's going to be off the chain! When I get back on my feet, I will come down and show South_Paw whos boss.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
execute - I suspect the 'tulsa tournaments' would be the one I just linked to, as I know of no other tournaments happening regularly in the area, other than maybe what gets thrown together at Gridcon, a monthly anime/gaming event.

And why is that?

First off - while the OKC area may hold down the talent for the state, by this boards own power ranking South Paw, recognized as second in the state? Has attended the tournaments regularly, thanks much. 'Won't be high', geez, you could at least give the 2 or 3 decent teams that have shown up and done well for where they are at some recognition.

And if your looking for SSB64 competition? I feel we'll have some high level competition, with notice; k thx.

Second off - why is that? In-ablity to travel, or some kinda exclusion due to us not posting on these boards, or some click deal? At this point, I'm not looking to flame, I'm just looking to understand the mindset.

X A
people from wichita, arkansas, and texas have come to our tournaments numerous times. of course i mean the larger ones, but still, tulsans(?) into competitive smash have had a few opportunities to hit OKC up (though the big tournaments have taken place in norman. still, people from paul's valley, yukon, okc, ada, and more have come for these).

more than that, the OK scene at gamefaqs is pretty non-existant, so most OK players rally here. if tulsa had a competitive enough melee scene, they could collaborate with me and then we would talk with a moderator to try and establish 2 seperate power rankings for the metros. however, the tulsa scene is a step behind that, as there is not even a stable tulsa THREAD in the regional section. without that, and a lack of many tulsa players chiming in to this thread very often, there is really no reason the current scene which consists of a good portion of the state does not satisfy the needs of almsot every smasher. i know, though, that if a whole crew from tulsa came up, people would volunteer to house them for a monthly if it took place in norman or OKC...and of course if the tulsa scene got bigger it would be recognized as a seperate scene because of distance.

the OKC people here just look at things reasonably, and since everything is OKC-centric, there have not been many steps towards catering to others...more arkansas people have shown interest it seems than tulsa people. i hope that soon tulsa and okc will be on the same page, as well as other cities getting more smashers. the Oklahoma smash scene needs some life.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
And why is that?
Why, I'll tell you, my good man:

First off, you misquoted me. I said "won't be as high, not "won't be high." I know that South_Paw attends the Tulsa tournaments, but he's the only one. Yes, he is second on our power rankings, but a tournament that has everyone who is power ranked involved WILL have a higher level of competition than a tournament that only has the person ranked second involved, regardless of how high its level of competition may be.

I'm sure that Tulsa does have a higher level of SSB64 competition, especially since almost no one in OKC and its surrounding metros plays it, but everything discussed about Smash in these forums (save for the SSB64 section), unless explicitly stated, is going to be about Melee, especially if someone from another state inquires about us.

It's going to be inability to travel, one hundred-percent. I have wanted to go to the last few tournaments in Tulsa (where I have family, so one of my parents could have theoretically taken me, seeing as how I'm a loser who still doesn't have his license after two years of being eligable and thus can't take myself), but my family was too busy. Po Pimpus said it best in that most of us are high school students without cars, which includes me. This results in me becoming reliant on my parents (and Gravity lolz) to take me places, but if neither of them can, then I'm just out of luck. Furthermore, the greater the distance, the less likely we (well, I, at least) are able to go somewhere.

On a concluding note, I don't mean to try to start an argument, but I'm the type to defend myself when my words have been questioned (or something <_<). I want to try to make it to some of the future events in Tulsa, but like I said previously, the distance makes doing so more difficult. It'd be cool if that stuff that Dokkoise said happens, because not only would Oklahoma Smash expand further, but then we'll be like Texas and could have Smash wars between our different regions. I'td be fun :colorful: Lawlz.

Gravity

Smash Ace
yeah. tulsa is 2 or so hours away. gas is expensive. car is old and i try to limit the distance i drive.

also, work is not cooperative when it comes to smash, so, basically, its nothing personal tulsa, but circumstances are bad for whatever and junk.

also, babac, coty is obviously a male prostitute. thats how he gets his money.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
My friend implied that she saw me on a McDee's commercial...I dont know how I should feel about this! McDees makes makes me sick, but on the other hand, IM ON TV BABY!

Bowser FTW.

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
My friend implied that she saw me on a McDee's commercial...I dont know how I should feel about this! McDees makes makes me sick, but on the other hand, IM ON TV BABY!

Bowser FTW.
Look everyone! Calvin's got a job!

Crackboom

Smash Apprentice
this may be short notice, but anyone want to come to my place to play smash today (7-3) or thursday (7-5)? I live in edmond, send a PM if interested or whatever.

X_A

Smash Rookie
I guess it's all about perspective - there are so many Halo freaks that travel from all over the state, I start to feel ripped off on competition.

In the end - I don't think there SHOULD be a comparison between what you guys are throwing, and what we are doing monthly. Our monthlies have some decent competition show up, but it's not a regional event - for sure.

As for travelling - I understand bad car wise, as I'm in the same situation. If I can get some repairs done, we'll see...

What I DO really wonder - is why you guys keep your events to a game themed board, and don't post about your event on OKgamers? I mean crap, your local library is posting more events for OKC than the smash community...

[hint hint - go post ohsnap3!@#]

--

Several miscommunications - I am not saying Tulsa is WORTHY of a seperate ranking lool - nor do I know more than a few serious groups of players; that and the burnt out feeling I get when I think about rallying fighting gamers... [long Soul Calibur attempts have left me worn out on said subject] Yea. Nah. I'm doing enough trying to get gamers in the state networked through OKgamers - I'm not going to focus on any specific groups right now.

Why, I'll tell you, my good man:

On a concluding note, I don't mean to try to start an argument, but I'm the type to defend myself when my words have been questioned (or something <_<). I want to try to make it to some of the future events in Tulsa, but like I said previously, the distance makes doing so more difficult. It'd be cool if that stuff that Dokkoise said happens, because not only would Oklahoma Smash expand further, but then we'll be like Texas and could have Smash wars between our different regions. I'td be fun :colorful: Lawlz.
Part of what sparked my response was your statement seemed to throw Tulsa stuff under the bus - and honestly? Meh, the event we throw I don't care about in 'competing', it's getting the word out about the site, and OKgamers actually USED that I care about. As I've said, the actual monthly events we do are NOT on the same scale, and that's a fair reason to point out of towners towards your event... But let's at least get YOUR event on the website eh? I care about OKgamers.com getting the word out about events, but without EVENTS happening and being posted - the site dies. Yes, we ARE averaging about 8 to 10 events consistently in the forums... But there's obviously more going on out there - and this is my concern, that people write off what the staff do as the main purpose for the site - and move on to do their own thing. The site isn't about what we are trying to thrash around and put together; it's about having a central place to network, and have everything going on in Oklahoma.

Competition between regions? Would be fun. As I've elluded to it though, I won't be the champion for that, I tried too hard for SC, and got too let down, but I'd definitely join the gaming, and as I've said, even have a place I'd provide play to happen at weekly.

Let me leave you guys with this:

You say you want OK to have more of a smash life. I feel OKgamers.com is a serious attempt to do that, and more. If we all get out there, taking a few minutes away from our game based boards, and at least POST our EVENTS on one central site - we really are going to see a rise in awareness, and hopefully following - a rise in attendance. At the same time - gamers in OK seem hella lazy, so where am I on the hope scale for this... We'll see at the end of the year...

Anyway - SOMEONE - please make sure your events are posted. ONE OF YOU - please keep the OKC smashers represented on the OKgamers forums - please? I mean come on guys, you want change, here we are trying to get the word out about this site - why don't you cash in and help you and us? It's a win-win situation.

You guys win - by putting the word out about your events, and raising general awareness about SSBM play in the state... For us - by you posting your info your helping us prove there ARE things going on in Oklahoma, and thus a reason to even go to OKgamers.com

X A

Crackboom

Smash Apprentice
hey sorry i didnt reply but i did now. and those numbers were the dates, not the times actually :p

sorry for the confusion, i lost track of time

KOS-MOS

Smash Journeyman
This is Andy on Chris's account,

i made some OC3 predictions...brandon is going to beat chris in winners bracket...but chris will beat everyone in losers bracket. babac will get byes all the way until semifinals, where hell have to fight paemon. so it will be between chris and babac in the finals. and all the pros will lose to peaches who spam downsmash.

Gravity

Smash Ace
I guess it's all about perspective - there are so many Halo freaks that travel from all over the state, I start to feel ripped off on competition.

In the end - I don't think there SHOULD be a comparison between what you guys are throwing, and what we are doing monthly. Our monthlies have some decent competition show up, but it's not a regional event - for sure.

As for travelling - I understand bad car wise, as I'm in the same situation. If I can get some repairs done, we'll see...

What I DO really wonder - is why you guys keep your events to a game themed board, and don't post about your event on OKgamers? I mean crap, your local library is posting more events for OKC than the smash community...

[hint hint - go post ohsnap3!@#]

--

Several miscommunications - I am not saying Tulsa is WORTHY of a seperate ranking lool - nor do I know more than a few serious groups of players; that and the burnt out feeling I get when I think about rallying fighting gamers... [long Soul Calibur attempts have left me worn out on said subject] Yea. Nah. I'm doing enough trying to get gamers in the state networked through OKgamers - I'm not going to focus on any specific groups right now.

Part of what sparked my response was your statement seemed to throw Tulsa stuff under the bus - and honestly? Meh, the event we throw I don't care about in 'competing', it's getting the word out about the site, and OKgamers actually USED that I care about. As I've said, the actual monthly events we do are NOT on the same scale, and that's a fair reason to point out of towners towards your event... But let's at least get YOUR event on the website eh? I care about OKgamers.com getting the word out about events, but without EVENTS happening and being posted - the site dies. Yes, we ARE averaging about 8 to 10 events consistently in the forums... But there's obviously more going on out there - and this is my concern, that people write off what the staff do as the main purpose for the site - and move on to do their own thing. The site isn't about what we are trying to thrash around and put together; it's about having a central place to network, and have everything going on in Oklahoma.

Competition between regions? Would be fun. As I've elluded to it though, I won't be the champion for that, I tried too hard for SC, and got too let down, but I'd definitely join the gaming, and as I've said, even have a place I'd provide play to happen at weekly.

Let me leave you guys with this:

You say you want OK to have more of a smash life. I feel OKgamers.com is a serious attempt to do that, and more. If we all get out there, taking a few minutes away from our game based boards, and at least POST our EVENTS on one central site - we really are going to see a rise in awareness, and hopefully following - a rise in attendance. At the same time - gamers in OK seem hella lazy, so where am I on the hope scale for this... We'll see at the end of the year...

Anyway - SOMEONE - please make sure your events are posted. ONE OF YOU - please keep the OKC smashers represented on the OKgamers forums - please? I mean come on guys, you want change, here we are trying to get the word out about this site - why don't you cash in and help you and us? It's a win-win situation.

You guys win - by putting the word out about your events, and raising general awareness about SSBM play in the state... For us - by you posting your info your helping us prove there ARE things going on in Oklahoma, and thus a reason to even go to OKgamers.com

X A
id be happy to try my best to post events...the only thing is, most of them are scheduled the day before over aim...but for the larger ones i (or someone else) can more then likely do so.

ill start by posting information on our upcoming tourney in august i suppose.

po pimpus

Smash Ace

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
****, there might be a plus to using bowser. I still wanna see snake's super smash move.

Everyone go to rasta's article and read the last 2 sentences. I didn't write them, but i think i know who did.

Gravity

Smash Ace
Everyone go to rasta's article and read the last 2 sentences. I didn't write them, but i think i know who did.
whoa, you have an idea? i wonder who it could be...i hope youll tell me.

actually, im pretty sure i know who it is. i bet it was that "Shaded" guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom