• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Non-WoW" MMORPG room

Laijin

Smash Hero
This room is for non-WoW talk only. Cause if I don't specifiy that, the room will turn into a super homo conversation about WoW. And I don't want that because there are more fun(and free) MMOs out there that take more skill to play

So what do you guys play?(Besides WoW).

Right now I'm playing Air Rivals(Also known as Space Cowboy if you guys remember that one). I love how this game is pure technique based and not so much on numbers. You can be the worst player ever and be level 80 and get rocked by players who are level 40 or 50 because you suck so much. I don't believe that happens in many other MMOs. I used to play this with Yay. He's a cool guy.

I also play Granada Espada which looks friggin awesome is also pretty fun.

Also, in case you guys have not heard. There are 3 MMOs you should be fully aware of because of how amazing their gonna be.

First one Aion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8E2IFbwO3w
-Looks pretty sweet and fun. As far as I know, this is F2P.
-Release is end of April(next month)

Second one is Mabinogi Heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajQrStt-ud8

-Its more focused on PvE rather than PvP like the original Mabinogi, but it looks so much fun. If **** brix watching that..your gonna **** out some huuge giant brix watching the next one. Release is sometime this year(hopefully).

Blade & Soul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCsmuMDXXcU
-The entire trailer is all gameplay footage. When you see characters "taking turns attacking", its just for the trailer. In the actual game its who gets the first hit first. Its heavily focused on PvP, and its completely skilled based. You can block attacks. Parry attack. Do all sorts of grab combos..etc etc. Whatever you see in the trailer, you can do it plus more. Release is sometime in 2010.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
There's a General game discussion. But this goes into specifics, I suppose.

But the only online mmo game I play is GunZ: The Duel.
It's mad good, and I'm really good at it, so is Monk.

I used to play RO,
used to play Manga Fighter (lol was fun as hell)
errr lumina?
FlyFF

and i think that was it...
I wanted to play cabal but idk

Laijin

Smash Hero
Sure theres a general game discussion. But talking to all of the Atlantic South smashers in specific.

Cabal. I tried it out. Its was unplayable because of constant disconnecting. And it was'nt my fault. Other people had the same problem.
FlyFF was alright..until I realized how difficult it was to level up in that game. You gotta spend your life on that.

Oh yea. I forgot to mention another one I play. Atlantica Online. Its really fun and free. They even had this event where they guaranteed you'll like it or they will buy your character. Basic gameplay is that you have a party of up to 9 characters and you go around and fight in turn based battles. Its pretty fast and pretty fun.

nevershootme

Smash Master
Final Fantasy XI... Went through 2 years of that game and its still something...

planet side was also fun, but was lacking sometimes. then came tabula rasa (played a beta) and hated it since connection to the game was terrible (from university)

but there's warhammer online... I shoulda bought it for 50% off at circuit city to see whats all the hype...

Zip.

Smash Lord
Well i played Fiesta Online and Holic Online(they were terrible >.<)
also i played Silkroad and Rappelz as well..oh, and i'll check those out(since i need something new to play lolz).

Edit: These all look Great..

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Final Fantasy XI... Went through 2 years of that game and its still something...

planet side was also fun, but was lacking sometimes. then came tabula rasa (played a beta) and hated it since connection to the game was terrible (from university)

but there's warhammer online... I shoulda bought it for 50% off at circuit city to see whats all the hype...
FF11 was really basic, its a fanboy game =x

Planet Side was amazing until BFRs killed the player base. Now its all fixed and fun, except everyone is gone so their is no point in playing.

I bought Warhammer hoping it would be a WoW killer, and it came close, but didn't quite beat it out.

Warhammer is empty now. It was fun for like 2-4 weeks and then you realize the world PvP never gets large enough to be truly competitive (and most of the time its 'who can get their high level guild mate to come out?'), so you're stuck playing 'scenarios' (BGs) which granted, are more varied than WoW and change every 10 levels, but still its not that great, and some of the ques take forever. The Public Quests were great during the initial rush when there were always plenty of people to do them, but now you're lucky to get 5 ppl and finish phase 2.

Oh, and all this is on a 'high/over populated' server.

The game pretty much met expectations, which is good, but it would have been nice if they hadn't had to rush to beat WotLK on release, and really all the updates with Arena PvP in WoW was enough to make you not want to grind through levels in another game. Gamespot was friendlier to it than me, they gave it a 8.5/10 Id give it more like a 7.5 but in comparison to the 9.2-9.5 reviews of WoW and its expansions...yeah.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Darkfall Online. Worst launch ever, most hardcore game ever! :(((((((((

Oh, and Asheron's Call Darktide server was like the coolest game ever. Did anyone else ever play on that?

nevershootme

Smash Master
I remember back then I also played Everquest online adventures (side game from EQ). it was the beta version (obviously free), and to that day i wanted to see a good console MMORPG.... too bad it never worked out well. the game was fun yet it's EQ so it's super boring!

Laijin

Smash Hero
Darkfall Online. Worst launch ever, most hardcore game ever! :(((((((((

Oh, and Asheron's Call Darktide server was like the coolest game ever. Did anyone else ever play on that?
Darkfall.
You could'nt possibly launch a game as bad as they are.
I saw vids of it and it looks kinda boring. :[
I dunno much about it though. But the first thing I do when I see a game and I get excited about a game is that it must first LOOK fun.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Darkfall.
You could'nt possibly launch a game as bad as they are.
I saw vids of it and it looks kinda boring. :[
I dunno much about it though. But the first thing I do when I see a game and I get excited about a game is that it must first LOOK fun.
It's a niche game, and I'm an awful PKer at heart, so the idea of potentially losing items when I fight people to try to get their items really does it for me. Not for most people though.

But yeah, the launch is an absolute travesty. I had my Credit Card info on the site for like two weeks, and after failing to get a pre-order and failing to buy the game four days in a row I just took my info down and bought Mount and Blade.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
There's a General game discussion. But this goes into specifics, I suppose.

But the only online mmo game I play is GunZ: The Duel.
It's mad good, and I'm really good at it, so is Monk.
I used to be sexy...but that was long ago...

another good online game is S4...the only good game mode is Touchdown...check it out

http://s4.en.alaplaya.eu/pages/s4_download

there are also some youtube vids of course but I don't feel like looking for those

Laijin

Smash Hero
S4 League is fun. I played it during beta.
The only thing I did'nt like about it was the fact that if someone had a horrible connection, they can kill you but you can't damage them. Its like free god mode. its ****ing gay.
Otherwise, the game is great.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
Started with FFXI for a year and a half (sexy *** game) but left due to irl issues. Occasionally play RO, along with Lineage II.

Waiting for Aion and Rapture to release.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
S4 League is fun. I played it during beta.
The only thing I did'nt like about it was the fact that if someone had a horrible connection, they can kill you but you can't damage them. Its like free god mode. its ****ing gay.
Otherwise, the game is great.
I only played touchdown cause that gave me a rational reason of why I died so fast

and the connection issue is still a problem so yeah.... it's a shame it's one of the better games I have played too

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I also played FFXI for a long time. Loved that game but stopped due to real life responsibilities.

I'm also going to play Aion when it releases in NA. I'm looking forward to it.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Used to play RO, then went to worse games to play only to pass the time, and not be serious about them... Like MapleStory. *runs and hides*

Zoro

Smash Champion
Ragnarok Online is still my favorite MMO

I played my first MMO in 03 which was Fairyland Online-turned based crappy graphics only like 3 classes it was wack but fun because i never played an mmo before.

then i played anarchy online- its really good imo. I only stopped because my friends stopped playing

then i played Ragnarok on the official server and i loved it me and my friend transferred to a private server after we ran outa moneyz and we played on them for the next 4 years or so. We hated mid and high rates servers though anything above 10 x was way too much for us. Some servers u can get highest lvl in an hour......killing the weakest monster....gay.

During the time i played RO i also played some other ones

starwars galaxies (before it got gay)- i liked it but i didnt feel like paying
Lineage 2- it was ok nothing to say bad or good about it
Silkroad- was cool but...nothin special
Mabinogi- nothin special
Flyff- eww
Dream of mirror- looked cool but it was the same bs
Shin megami tensei- it sucks
Ragnarok 2- how dare they make ragnarok suck!
Cabal- i didnt get far it just couldnt keep me interested

Mabinogi heroes looks promising though

nevershootme

Smash Master
PSO was fun, soon there's gonna be PS Zero on DS for america so it's gonna be bringing back the connectivity that was on the dreamcast/ gc/ pc/ xbox. minus the servers :)

now currently im trying out PSU on psp... pretty much a lax version of monster hunter freedom and it's sequels.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
btw... am I right in thinking that Aion comes out in late May? Or will it probably get questionably delayed again for NA release :<

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
NCSoft \ Anet sucks at maintaining competative games.

GW was built up as a competative game, which is the only reason why it was -decent-. It couldn't be taken seriously though because of all the broken skills and lack of updates \ PR discussion with the community.

Aion pvp will be terrible like WoW's is... they're not meant to be good pvp games just fun for kids.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Also, I played FFXI for so long, to be honest, because of the endgame content and storyline. I know, I know, storyline in MMORPG = lolololol, but in FFXI it was really ****in' good. And Sky/Sea endgame was great. I do like PvP a lot, but eh, I'm looking forward to Aion.

Also, its ****in' pretty. FFXI was pretty. Aion is pretty.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Aion comes out end of April so I hear.

@Zoro.
Mabinogi is fun. But I quit. If you like PvP, don't play it. If you like making friends, PvE and like the community part of an MMO rather than how competitive it is then Mabinogi is perfect.
Also. I would'nt call RO the melee of MMOs >__>
I think Air Rivals deserves that title more so than RO. RO is more geared towards your stats, while Air Rivals is more geared towards how good you are more so than RO. Give it a try. :] You'll probably even like it more than RO since I certainly did/do.
Here. Check out this cool trailer :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlgFqW11bk

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
PSO was fun, soon there's gonna be PS Zero on DS for america so it's gonna be bringing back the connectivity that was on the dreamcast/ gc/ pc/ xbox. minus the servers :)

now currently im trying out PSU on psp... pretty much a lax version of monster hunter freedom and it's sequels.
Can't wait to try out Monster Hunter G on the Wii in April, though then again, it's just monster hunter freedom. I do think they added extra content, though.

Anyway, Aion's pvp will hopefully be great. Ncsoft did a marvelous job with Lineage II's PvP system, hoping it carries on.

CY

Smash Ace
I played FFXI at first, back in 2004 when it first came out for the PS2. i played for a couple months, got a 35WAR and a 35 DRK. but the game was just too time consuming and the grinding was endless. but the game had that epic feel because it was so hard so rewards felt really good. the music in this game was also amazing.

but... i play WoW now :D i play it casually yet i almost have the best in slot gear. that says something about end game WoW atm, it is really easy now.

Zoro

Smash Champion
Aion comes out end of April so I hear.

@Zoro.
Mabinogi is fun. But I quit. If you like PvP, don't play it. If you like making friends, PvE and like the community part of an MMO rather than how competitive it is then Mabinogi is perfect.
Also. I would'nt call RO the melee of MMOs >__>
I think Air Rivals deserves that title more so than RO. RO is more geared towards your stats, while Air Rivals is more geared towards how good you are more so than RO. Give it a try. :] You'll probably even like it more than RO since I certainly did/do.
Here. Check out this cool trailer :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlgFqW11bk

air rivals looks fun but i have never liked aerial combat games it doesnt look mmoish at all which is the point of playing mmo.

RO RANT

I like the whole stat thing but when everyone is lvl 99 or 250 in RO (highest) stats dont make you any different from someone else.Its more about the plan against a certain class or build that some other people have. Cards and equip made that game with hardwork you could obtain nastee stuff that made you nastee. Golden thief bug card .01% drop rate on an mvp ouch but if you got it you were immune to magic same with ghostring if you got it you were immune to physical. This was extremely uncommon because it was nearly impossible to get those two cards BUT i remember a few people havin that ultimate combo and everyone thought they were unstoppable but nothing is unstoppable in RO there was always a counter. Like people think ghostring makes u immune but all it does is make your armor ghost property so just make your weapon ghost property and problem is solved. its neutralvs neutral again basically.

Thats what i like about it theres alot of planning and hard work involved but even pvp is rediculously fast theres no lag from one move to another as long as you have insta cast. I mained a priest a completely not supposed to be offensive character and i made him a broken. I had highest attack speed in the game so i could MVP by myself and i could take away a paladins life in about 6 seconds thats like 3 million hp with each attack doing 1200 thats rediculously fast the numbers dont even look like numbers. With the priests abilities to heal, ruwach ( find invisible chars like assasins), pnuma (no projectile can hit within its range of 6x6 squares) ,safety wall (pretects from physical attacks), teleport ( to escape) and buff myself, it made fightin me a pain. PvP was amazing in that game and i was really good at it with a non pvp character.
/RO RANT

The main reason i dont like any other game as much is because the fighting is just too slow there isnt a need for much imput just point click and push f 1 every once in a while . Well most mmos are like that not all of them. however i dont like mmo ish games either like FPSMMOs why make an fps an mmo just leave it an FPS, or eve or racing mmos or whatever i dont understand the purpose of those games.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord

The main reason i dont like any other game as much is because the fighting is just too slow there isnt a need for much imput just point click and push f 1 every once in a while . Well most mmos are like that not all of them. however i dont like mmo ish games either like FPSMMOs why make an fps an mmo just leave it an FPS, or eve or racing mmos or whatever i dont understand the purpose of those games.
MMO=Massively Multiplayer Online
Just because most MMOs are RPGs doesn't mean that other genres dont have a place. Your fundamental definition is wrong.

Having a massively multiplayer system is about having large servers that can host thousands of people, which totally changes the dynamic of things. It also creates a standard much better than server based gaming. Best example is CSS. There are servers where I can jump in and go 50-0 or something stupid like that, and there are other servers where I'm fighting to keep a 1:1 K:D. When you have a MMO you can always see how well you stack up, whereas server based games make you always seem amazing.

If you don't understand why EVE needs to be an MMO than you must not know anything about the game.

Laijin

Smash Hero

air rivals looks fun but i have never liked aerial combat games it doesnt look mmoish at all which is the point of playing mmo.

RO RANT

I like the whole stat thing but when everyone is lvl 99 or 250 in RO (highest) stats dont make you any different from someone else.Its more about the plan against a certain class or build that some other people have. Cards and equip made that game with hardwork you could obtain nastee stuff that made you nastee. Golden thief bug card .01% drop rate on an mvp ouch but if you got it you were immune to magic same with ghostring if you got it you were immune to physical. This was extremely uncommon because it was nearly impossible to get those two cards BUT i remember a few people havin that ultimate combo and everyone thought they were unstoppable but nothing is unstoppable in RO there was always a counter. Like people think ghostring makes u immune but all it does is make your armor ghost property so just make your weapon ghost property and problem is solved. its neutralvs neutral again basically.

Thats what i like about it theres alot of planning and hard work involved but even pvp is rediculously fast theres no lag from one move to another as long as you have insta cast. I mained a priest a completely not supposed to be offensive character and i made him a broken. I had highest attack speed in the game so i could MVP by myself and i could take away a paladins life in about 6 seconds thats like 3 million hp with each attack doing 1200 thats rediculously fast the numbers dont even look like numbers. With the priests abilities to heal, ruwach ( find invisible chars like assasins), pnuma (no projectile can hit within its range of 6x6 squares) ,safety wall (pretects from physical attacks), teleport ( to escape) and buff myself, it made fightin me a pain. PvP was amazing in that game and i was really good at it with a non pvp character.
/RO RANT

I almost understood all of that. And RO does seem pretty balanced. Your about Air Rivals though. Sure its not your traditional MMO where you have a humanoid character with humanoid classes and stuff.

/Begin Air Rivals rant
Instead, your character is your plane and every plane has different classes(A-gear, I-Gear, M-Gear and B-Gear). Every class has different builds which will dramatically change the way you play each class.

Take I-Gear for instance. I-Gears are the fastest gears. Imagine them as your jet fighters. They are in the front row. There are two worthwhile builds for I-Gears. Attack build or Eva build. If your an Eva build, you wont get hit at higher levels, even up against an A-Gear(who shoots bullets you like a machine gun). However, you can't do damage worth crap and you leveling takes longer. This for makes for some interesting strats on how to work around this weakness and win matches.
If you go with the attack build, you kill anything really quickly but you become like a paper airplane. Think of them like pixie characters in fighting games. Fast, can deliver damage quickly and combos a lot. But they die really easily. This forces you to learn how to barrel roll better dodge missles.

Sure other MMOs have similar situations where you have to develop strats to adapt to your build, but where air rivals exceeds in this is not only do you have to worry about what strategy to use and master it, but its also up to the skill of the player on if they can deliver with that strategy or not. What it made it sound like with RO is that if you know the counter strategy, you can win. In Air Rivals, even if you know the counter strategy, if you just suck at the game your not gonna win.

Its like other MMOs in terms of stat development, grinding(oh gawd), party forming, questing, etc etc.
It takes that simple formula and expands on it. So not only can you have a party, guild, etc etc. But you also belong to a nation in which everyone is your ally and everyone on the other side is your enemy.
Its loads of fun. Give it a try before dismissing it. :]
/end AR rant

Zoro

Smash Champion
Ill try it out laijin

also when i say mmo by itself i mean mmorpg

Racing games are racing games
shooters are shooters
Eve is an mmo i know but its just weird lol

I dont understand why they exist maybe if i played it i would get it but i dont see the point right now

my definition is wrong because im not trying to be technical with the terms or anything

Laijin

Smash Hero
Ill try it out laijin

also when i say mmo by itself i mean mmorpg

Racing games are racing games
shooters are shooters
Eve is an mmo i know but its just weird lol

I dont understand why they exist maybe if i played it i would get it but i dont see the point right now

my definition is wrong because im not trying to be technical with the terms or anything

EVE is like progress quest online. lol.
MMORPGs are usually lacking the RPG part. The definition of an RPG is very loose. Rarely do people actually role play on MMOs. In the end, MMOs are usually defined as just developing character over time and play and making new friends while playing.
But yea, i'll play Air Rivals with you. Let me know when you d/l it.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
EVE is like progress quest online. lol.
MMORPGs are usually lacking the RPG part. The definition of an RPG is very loose. Rarely do people actually role play on MMOs. In the end, MMOs are usually defined as just developing character over time and play and making new friends while playing.
But yea, i'll play Air Rivals with you. Let me know when you d/l it.
RPGs are the evolution of table top/pen and paper games. The most defining characteristics are
1) An individual character with a specific role (class) that you play as and level up.
2) Quests

Archmage from RPGFan.com said:
What is a Role Playing Game? Personally, I like to define a Role Playing Game as a game that MUST, ABSOLUTELY have three elements. One is a statistical setup for characters that describe certain skills/aspects of that character. Two, it must have some method of increasing and strengthening those statistics (usually but not necessarily by way of the experience/level system). Three, it must have a menu-driven combat system that utilizes the skills/aspects of the characters. Given there are other elements of RPGs that I'll leave out because of their obvious nature, these are the elements that are required for a game to be labeled RPG.
Now the most successful MMOs have been RPGs (see:WoW) but this does not mean all MMOs are RPGs.

Wikipedia said:
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMOG or simply MMO) is a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.
Hopefully the quotes and links I looked up clear up the fuzziness about what is and isnt an MMO or RPG

Top Bottom