• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Megaman in SSBB" Topic!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I want to see the original Mega Man in Brawl. The original series is what I remember and love. It's also where all the best music is. :)

As for Zero, etc., I don't particularly want to see any of them in. In my opinion, they're minor characters in the franchise and should not be playable. However, I wouldn't mind seeing any of them in as assist trophies.

As for Mega Man's final smash, hm... that's tough. Maybe he could summon Rush to attack everybody on screen. :o
QFT

Awesome FS:)

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I come with some news about Mega Man and Brawl. First, I'd like to say that Im simply spreading the news, and am in no way rubbing his deconfirmation in your faces or anyhting to that degree. Keiji Inafune has been quoted as saying that Mega Man will not be in Brawl. Sorry to crush a lot of fans dreams of him being in.

Full story is here:

http://www.brawlcentral.com/

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hey guys, I come with some news about Mega Man and Brawl. First, I'd like to say that Im simply spreading the news, and am in no way rubbing his deconfirmation in your faces or anyhting to that degree. Keiji Inafune has been quoted as saying that Mega Man will not be in Brawl. Sorry to crush a lot of fans dreams of him being in.

Full story is here:

Stop spreading this, we've been discussing it for the last few pages...And I told you, he ain't completely deconfirmed.

tirkaro

Smash Champion

Full story is here:

O RLY? you are most certainly NOT about a friggin' day late to tell us this, especially since EVERYBODY ON THIS FRIGGIN' SITE is going crazy over it, despite the fact they are horribly overeacting over something that proves nothing

But anyway, we pretty much stomped on that story. It holds very little water. Kenji didn't confirm or deconfirm anything. He just beat around the bush, and said he wasn't contacted yet.
I'm too lazy to thouroughly explain WHY it proves nothing, so just look at the past posts here.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I looked in the last 2 pages (40 ppp) and didn't see it, so that's why I posted it. How exactly does it not deconfirm him? You seriously think Nintendo is gonna create his character model and everyhting and test it within the next 2 weeks before the game is packaged and shipped out and everyhing?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I looked in the last 2 pages (40 ppp) and didn't see it, so that's why I posted it. How exactly does it not deconfirm him? You seriously think Nintendo is gonna create his character model and everyhting and test it within the next 2 weeks before the game is packaged and shipped out and everyhing?
*sigh*
well here goes then.

for one, if Kenji had anything to do with brawl involving megaman, he would have to keep quiet. and I mean VERY quiet. You wanna know why? If he leaked any information without the consent of nintendo/sakurai, then he can get his butt SUED.

anyway, when asked about MM's inclusion in brawl during the bionic commando podcast, he can't really give an obvious answer. He can't even say "No comment" since that would be an obvious givaway. So in order to cover himself up, he just gives an indirect "We haven't been contacted yet" answer instead of the direct "no"

now, kenji is a large smash bros. fan. He even said it himself. and kenji also isn't stupid. He knows that you can't do much when SSBB is only a month away. So why would he say such things implying that they would need to be contacted this far in development? It makes it quite obvious that kenji is just beating around the bush.

also, one other thing: in an earlier interview (well, not really an "interview" per se, but just a couple of questions) kenji was asked about MM's inclusion in brawl by a highly respected megaman site. and kenji's answer was simply "no comment."
Of course, that was a much smaller deal than an official podcast, so kenji probobly didn't think about that one.

and even earlier, when asked about MM's inclusion in brawl by 1-up.com, kenji simply said "Well that would be nice!"

so think about it; if megaman truely wasn't in, wouldn't you think kenji would say something more direct than "Well that would be nice!" "No comment" or "We haven't been contacted yet"?

and if you still don't belive me, just read dabble's anylazation on the podcast:

I just want to point out a few things though; but first, let me copy and paste what Inafune said:

[1]"Well, I really do love Super Smash Brothers. [2]It’s a great series…but, Nintendo hasn’t asked me yet if they can use Mega Man in their game. [3]I’m still waiting…we have a little bit of time left, it’s not coming out for another few months. [4]They might get around to asking us if we’d like to put Mega Man in Super Smash Brothers. [5]Maybe if somebody from Nintendo is listening to this podcast, they’ll give me a call."

You can tell that this statement is desperately trying to avoid the question. I will break it up for you so you can understand better. I will do it individually by sentence number.

[1] basically is Inafune preaching his admiration of the Smash Bros. franchise. This is key. Onto [2]....

[2] is a very important sentence, because here we can see a bit of hypocrisy. Smash Bros. is a franchise built from the ground up using key mascots in the growth and success of Nintendo's namesake. After all, it is through these mascots that Nintendo is able to keep on sailing. 3rd party characters have made their impact on Nintendo's success as well, even Snake, although he didn't really get booming until he was a sony man. Ok, so if Snake can get in, and Kojima had to beg, and Sonic could get in through popularity....

How is it even possible that Nintendo would not make contact with the creator of the ONE third party mascot that has been somewhat of a Nintendo faithful throughout his entire lifespan? Yes, he is third party, but his overall success has been on Nintendo consoles, as well as roughly 80-85% of his games appearing as a Nintendo title. It is from Nintendo that Megaman got his start, as well as continues his success to this day. So, how is it possible Sakurai would just "forget" to contact Inafune when in sentence [1] we see Inafune's opinion on the franchise as a whole? You don't "forget" someone as popular as Megaman, especially where he has incredulous popularity in Japan as WELL as the US. So knowing this, and Inafune's opinion on the Smash Bros. franchise as a whole...there would be no conflict with Megaman making the cut IF Sakurai asked... onto sentence [3]....

[3] is beating around the bush some more. onto sentence [4]....

[4] is more clever beating around the bush...or....with the way it is worded...could be a hint asking Nintendo if THEY could reveal Megaman and not Nintendo... Hence the "if WE can put Megaman in Super Smash Bros." onto [5]....

[5] is a sort of hint at Nintendo to reveal Megaman. they are waiting for the "call..."

What "call?" The call that Inafune has you believing asking for permission to use Megaman....

OR....

The "call" to come out and confirm Megaman?

All I am saying is this...

From my analysis of the statement he made, there is no definite answer, and there won't be. Why won't there be? Simple; Nintendo does not want Megaman to be revealed yet, so they asked Inafune to not reveal him. Anyone who asks you to hold a secret, and you are loyal to that, you will not reveal it....

You will just simply "lie" to throw them off course.

and that my friends, at least from my conclusion, is EXACTLY what is going on. After all, Sega has lied about Sonic...

Why on Earth would Inafune, the great mind behind one of the biggest mascots next to Sonic and Mario, not be contacted by Sakurai, the great mind behind the one franchise where all key Nintendo mascots over the years do battle?

It's simple.... Inafune has been contacted, and he just simply lied to throw everyone off...

It's marketing strategy to the definition. That is all.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
It's simple.... Inafune has been contacted, and he just simply lied to throw everyone off...

It's marketing strategy to the definition. That is all.
So by that logic, Sakurai saying we can only have 64 friends is Brawl is really a lie, just so he can surprise us with 100?

You're just saying that official words are just cover ups for the truths. Krytal's voice actor realy lied about being in Brawl, just to fool everyone into preordering the game for her, Sheik and Ganondorf really DON'T have character models made for Brawl, because it was just a trick to get more Zelda fans into the game, etc, correct?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So by that logic, Sakurai saying we can only have 64 friends is Brawl is really a lie, just so he can surprise us with 100?

You're just saying that official words are just cover ups for the truths. Krytal's voice actor realy lied about being in Brawl, just to fool everyone into preordering the game for her, Sheik and Ganondorf really DON'T have character models made for Brawl, because it was just a trick to get more Zelda fans into the game, etc, correct?
The Sonic people lied about Sonic being in Brawl

tirkaro

Smash Champion

*facepalm*
that's not the point.

it's not like krystal's VA was being vauge about acting for SSBB. She simply said she was doing voicework for SSBB and that's it.
same with Eiji Aonuma. He wasn't beating around the bush like Kenji. He simply said he submitted character designs.
and both of them don't really prove anything about the roster, unlike megaman.
Krystal's VA could have just voice acted for a krystal AT, or the designs for SSBB ganondorf and shiek might not be used in the final version. So they are a lot less important then kenji's burden.

For example, those reps at SEGA simply said sonic being in brawl wasn't on the cards. There's a good contrast between the importance of character designs, or a VA, then an actual character appearing. Same thing with the girl who sung the ashley song. A simple song=/=character.

so if you think of it like that, then it boosts megaman's chances instead of decreasing it.

actually know what you're dealing with instead of just rushing in to prove me wrong, just so that you can give more credibilty to your silly little site.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian

I doubt Sakurai would blantantly lie on the Dojo.

All the guy is saying is that it's possible Sakurai told Inafune to be discreet, so Sakurai can reveal Megaman when he desires. He's not saying it's the case, just mentioning that it is a possibility.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
*facepalm*
that's not the point.

it's not like krystal's VA was being vauge about acting for SSBB. She simply said she was doing voicework for SSBB and that's it.
same with Eiji Aonuma. He wasn't beating around the bush like Kenji. He simply said he submitted character designs.
and both of them don't really prove anything about the roster, unlike megaman.
Krystal's VA could have just voice acted for a krystal AT, or the designs for SSBB ganondorf and shiek might not be used in the final version. So they are a lot less important then kenji's burden.

For example, those reps at SEGA simply said sonic being in brawl wasn't on the cards. There's a good contrast between the importance of character designs, or a VA, then an actual character appearing. Same thing with the girl who sung the ashley song. A simple song=/=character.

so if you think of it like that, then it boosts megaman's chances instead of decreasing it.

actually know what you're dealing with instead of just rushing in to prove me wrong, just so that you can give more credibilty to your silly little site.
Why are you acting like only that site reported that? It's on nearly every major video game site, Brawl blog, ect.

I'm not rushing to prove you wrong, I am considering what you're saying. I do have some knowledge of marketing strategy, considering I'm currently majoring in Business Marketing. So please don't think that I'm just spewing my views of this news all over people because I say so.

Sheik and Gnondorf's designs weren't as big of a deal because everyon'e expecting them to return anyway. It brings about as much news to the table as if someone said they designed Luigi for Brawl.

Sega's answer to Sonic was very misleading. Keiji Inafune saying he want's MM in Brawl, saying he wants Nintendo to contact him about using MM, basically giving an open challenge for Nintendo to ask him about MM is a much clearer answer than saying "it's not in the cards", "I can't say", "No comment", etc.

I don't know if people will be able to convince you guys that Mega Man is out. After all, it took 2 months of people trying to beat common sense into some Nes fans about him being out, and none of them wanted to listen until they saw Lucas in the SSE movie a few days ago.

Chi, just go argue on the Mega Man deconfirmed thread...
No Mega Man debates in the Mega Man thread, unless they are only positive, uneducated, posts?

danroks

Smash Cadet
Why are you acting like only that site reported that? It's on nearly every major video game site, Brawl blog, ect.

I'm not rushing to prove you wrong, I am considering what you're saying. I do have some knowledge of marketing strategy, considering I'm currently majoring in Business Marketing. So please don't think that I'm just spewing my views of this news all over people because I say so.

Sheik and Gnondorf's designs weren't as big of a deal because everyon'e expecting them to return anyway. It brings about as much news to the table as if someone said they designed Luigi for Brawl.

Sega's answer to Sonic was very misleading. Keiji Inafune saying he want's MM in Brawl, saying he wants Nintendo to contact him about using MM, basically giving an open challenge for Nintendo to ask him about MM is a much clearer answer than saying "it's not in the cards", "I can't say", "No comment", etc.

I don't know if people will be able to convince you guys that Mega Man is out. After all, it took 2 months of people trying to beat common sense into some Nes fans about him being out, and none of them wanted to listen until they saw Lucas in the SSE movie a few days ago.

No Mega Man debates in the Mega Man thread, unless they are only positive, uneducated, posts?
i think its funny that megamans not gunna be in brawl the only 3rd party one i want in is pacman lol

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I only mentioned it in the MM thread and a Geno thread, because I thought it could relate to another popular third party character.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I know that. It's just that you have that site in your sig, and normally, people try to defend thier views in order to preserve the quality of thier site, so I assumed you thought such. *shrugs*

first off, the ness-lucas thing is an entirely different subject. Ness was outright deconfirmed on the dojo, and was obviously replaced with another incarnation of the character, ala OOT link and TP link.
however, this current dilemma is simply a more unofficial thing that people are taking WAY too seriously. There isn't a replacement for Megaman, megaman is megaman. It's a lot less obvious than ness being replaced.

but anyway, saying "we haven't been contacted yet" may be more direct than saying "not on the cards", but it's still equally suspicious. once again, kenji is not stupid. He's been in the industry for over 20 years. he knows that a game can be too far in development.(however, the reason for the "too far in development-itus" in melee was because melee was rushed and had very tight time constraints, as opposed to brawl, which isn't being rushed, meaning characters COULD get in at the last minute, but that isn't really the point now.)
so the only way to answer that question without being too obvious is too be as misleading as the narutaru opening.

and even if you don't believe that, WHY is everyone simply picking on that ONE question? There were a lot more questions about megaman's inclusion in SSBB, that got much more vauge answers like "no comment" and "I can't say"

It's not that we dont allow posts like that here, its just that things like this gets EXTREMELY annoying, so we aren't too fond of posts like that.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I know that. It's just that you have that site in your sig, and normally, people try to defend thier views in order to preserve the quality of thier site, so I assumed you thought such. *shrugs*

first off, the ness-lucas thing is an entirely different subject. Ness was outright deconfirmed on the dojo, and was obviously replaced with another incarnation of the character, ala OOT link and TP link.
however, this current dilemma is simply a more unofficial thing that people are taking WAY too seriously. There isn't a replacement for Megaman, megaman is megaman. It's a lot less obvious than ness being replaced.

but anyway, saying "we haven't been contacted yet" may be more direct than saying "not on the cards", but it's still equally suspicious. once again, kenji is not stupid. He's been in the industry for over 20 years. he knows that a game can be too far in development.(however, the reason for the "too far in development-itus" in melee was because melee was rushed and had very tight time constraints, as opposed to brawl, which isn't being rushed, meaning characters COULD get in at the last minute, but that isn't really the point now.)
so the only way to answer that question without being too obvious is too be as misleading as the narutaru opening.

and even if you don't believe that, WHY is everyone simply picking on that ONE question? There were a lot more questions about megaman's inclusion in SSBB, that got much more vauge answers like "no comment" and "I can't say"
I see and agree with your logic, but in my personal opinion, I think it pretty much deconfirms him. I understand where you're coming from however. For now I guess we should just agree to disagree.

Boofer

Smash Ace
If he WAS in the game, what do you think he would have said? I'm sure he wouldn't have admited that he was in, because likely there is some sort of agreement in which he can't say.

But then again, his answer wasn't as vague as Sega's answer, so realistically I should really just believe he's telling the truth.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
What I want to know is why it went from "no comment" to this. I have reason to believe this is slightly older than that other response. You'd think the interviewrs would point out that there's not much time left.

The real kick in the crotch is the fact that he would add SONIC over Rock. That's making me question Sakurais judgement just a little bit. Rock could have offered SO MUCH more to the Brawl table than a way to settle an old playground argument about two gaming icons. Seriously, how many spin ball moves does Sonic have? Like 5 or 6? Wow... how... interesting...how unexpected. You SURE you're not giving too much power to the rabid fans Sak?

Athos

Smash Cadet
I don't think he's in now because they probably mapped out all the characters in cutsceens for the Subspace Emisary by now. This game has been in planning for a long time, they wouldn't just throw a new character in 2 months before the game comes out. Sorry megaman fans, it's pretty much a lost cause. I would still like to see him in though.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
(mirrored from the other topic)

I still think this is just a ruse of some sort. Even if Inafune says something like this, who knows how much weight it actually has?

For instance, did Shinji Mikami, the head of the former Capcom Studio 4 (and one of the top dawgs in the company until it a few years back), have ANY say in what happened to RE4, as it got ported over to the PS2 (ESPECIALLY after Mikami explicitly said it wouldn't)? No, because, in the end, people like Kenzo Tsujimoto (the CEO of Capcom) hold the final say to what goes on for the company, and Tsujimoto's more interested in the wants and desires of the stock holders, first and foremost.

You can be the head of development in any respect, but the overall business model is still decided by the people who actually run the company. That's the bottomline for any business.

Frankly, all things considered, I would have been more concerned if Takeshi Horinouchi said that Rockman wasn't in Brawl. People often associate Inafune with Rockman, but ever since Rockman EXE 4, it's Horinouchi who's actually involved with Rockman on a day-to-day basis as the series producer. Don't believe me? Go check out this month's (January 2008) Nintendo Power. It's highly probable that they may have just went and contacted him instead, and Inafune would be let in on the loop some time later. Again, things like that happen.

And on that note...there was interesting quote from that same article, in that very magazine, that I thought was also worthy of interest.

Question 16: What are some ideas you had for Mega Man, but ended up totally rejecting?

Horinouchi: In honor of Mega Man's 20th anniversary, I had planned to do a game where all of the iterations of Mega Man could battle each other, but then I gave up on it. There just wasn't enough manpower on the Capcom development team to bring the game to fruition. At some point in the future, I'd still like to give it a shot.
- Nintendo Power, January 2008, pg. 62

Gee...that sounds an AWFUL lot like what would have been yet another type of Smash Bros. type game. Horinouchi's PR statement aside, I can only think of a few reasons why Capcom would shut down an idea such as that; at least two of them having to do with Brawl, whether Rockman would actually get in or not.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he's in now because they probably mapped out all the characters in cutsceens for the Subspace Emisary by now. This game has been in planning for a long time, they wouldn't just throw a new character in 2 months before the game comes out. Sorry megaman fans, it's pretty much a lost cause. I would still like to see him in though.
All characters will most likely NOT be in SE.

Almaron

Smash Rookie

Mr. Chi, the reason everyone is upset with your posting is because we've been through this whole thing before. Your argument is quite valid and holds some ground, but every point you've made has already been said and done. So it's not so much that we're not open minded as it is we're tired of hearing the same stuff over and over and over again.

Also, calling some of us uneducated is going a bit far. As when some of us accused you of being uneducated (when you clearly aren't), I don't believe that the post(ers) on the pro-megaman side are uneducated. I would maybe go with uninformed, at the very most.

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
I wanted Megaman in but now I'm glad he's out, it should help the people in this topic learn just because you can keep twisting things to your liking, doesn't mean they're any more likely to come true.

knuckles_18

Smash Cadet
Part of me dosen't believe that mega mans not in maybe because ive never heard of that podcast before but anyways i sure hopes hes in my my hopes aren't that high after listening to that podcast.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I wanted Megaman in but now I'm glad he's out, it should help the people in this topic learn just because you can keep twisting things to your liking, doesn't mean they're any more likely to come true.
Just how people twisted things about the whole "Not in the cards for the moment"... hey what do u know, the hedgehog isin... yay... i guess...

(jkk)

Smash Cadet
i really don't think mega man is in the game now because they would have shown him now to help create more hyp about the game and The fact that they have yet to talk to capcon about it.

Stryks

Smash Hero
i really don't think mega man is in the game now because they would have shown him now to help create more hyp about the game and The fact that they have yet to talk to capcon about it.
Oh rite so ur saying ridley, wolf,dark samus, and so on arent in cause they would have shown them to create hype...

and dear god people inafune could be covering up!

Cless

Smash Champion
Good job tirkaro. You forgot to mention though that Inafune has no say in whether Mega Man gets used in anything. If Capcom wants to use him in something, they go ahead and do so.

binki4

Smash Apprentice
yeah your right yesterday i was shocked that keiji inafune said that it will be no megaman in brawl for now untill the nintendo of japan company calls him to put megaman in brawl for now in the moment.

Snakz

Smash Ace
Did you guys ever think this could be the same case as Sonic? as in they could have a character made for Megaman, a whole moveset and everything all ready for Brawl and are just getting to other offers and negotiations before they get to Inafune.

I'm pretty sure somewhere credible said that Sakurai had a Sonic character with a moveset and all and were just waiting Sega's final confirmation to keep him in Brawl. True or not, couldn't this be the case for Megaman?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Troll in disguise, someone get this guy out of here.

Top Bottom