• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Megaman in SSBB" Topic!

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
That's cool.. Anyway, here's good question for everyone:

We are all tired of data stream spinoffs and semi-loosely related plots in our Mega Man games
Well, I'm personally not "tired" per se, just annoys me alot that they seem to get the highest attention, since I like the "usual" megaman games ininitely better. That's not to say I dislike the "data series", because I am right now playing StarForce, pirated of course, no way I'm paying for this game :p, and as long as I manage to forget it's supposed to be a Megaman game (which is pretty easy to do, given it looks and plays nothing like a true Megaman game), it's a half competent RPG.

What makes a great Mega Man game in terms of both story and button smashing, lol?
Oh, it's easy. Megaman games are side-scrolling shooter/platformer hybrids with a healthy level of difficulty, a big emphasis on the acquiring of new powers via the destruction of bosses, multiple-choice stages, and an overarching story that, while not too intrusive, seeps into play between games.

For a look at how one can modern-ify such a formula and still be very true to the originals, look no further than the Zero series, or even ZX.

@Ninjuku - For the sake of a good laugh, what if it's Megaman Zero - Remastered? (My idea - Redo Zero 1 - 4 seperately and make it like Devil May Cry)
Even though DMC pisses me of more than a bit at times, that'd be awesome, based on the fact that it'd mean more Zero (as MMZ is my favorite megaman saga), and a brutally awesome boss fight versus Omega :)

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
What makes a cool Mega Man game? Oh, that's easy:

1. DON'T make it 3-D. Mega Man is a sidescroller.

2. If you make it into an RPG, make sure that you don't mess it up and that it's still action oriented.

3. Use "proper" Robot Masters and not Robots that are a joke in themselves. (I'm looking at you, Toad Man, Centaur Man, Plant Man, etc. )

4. Give free choice about the order you wanna beat the Stages, with NO time limit. (I'm looking at you, X5. Or was it X6?)

5. Robot Master weapons that are actually useful! (Mega Man 6, anyone?)

6. The stages should be hard, but masterable with a little help from Rush. (Heat Man's stage. Nuff said)

7. Catchy music!

8. Don't add too many FN characters, that nobody cares about. (Remember Sonic Heroes? -.-)

9. Don't make another "OMG, it's a new villain!!!1 But wait, Wily was behind this the entire time ZOMG!" storyline. Thanks.

And finally:

10. Make it FUN.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace

2. If you make it into an RPG, make sure that you don't mess it up and that it's still action oriented.

3. Use "proper" Robot Masters and not Robots that are a joke in themselves. (I'm looking at you, Toad Man, Centaur Man, Plant Man, etc. )

4. Give free choice about the order you wanna beat the Stages, with NO time limit. (I'm looking at you, X5. Or was it X6?)

5. Robot Master weapons that are actually useful! (Mega Man 6, anyone?)

6. The stages should be hard, but masterable with a little help from Rush. (Heat Man's stage. Nuff said)

7. Catchy music!

8. Don't add too many FN characters, that nobody cares about. (Remember Sonic Heroes? -.-)

9. Don't make another "OMG, it's a new villain!!!1 But wait, Wily was behind this the entire time ZOMG!" storyline. Thanks.

And finally:

10. Make it FUN.
1. What about a 3-D side scroller? New Super Smash Bros ring a bell?

2. Tales style.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Megaman. When will Sakurai announce it? When will Samsh fans around the world finally be able to breathe easy.

Seeing how Sakurai put in Sonic, I think Megaman is a given. He's out to please the fans.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
So what's your point? Comparing a Mario game with a Mega Man game doesn't work. It's like comparing it to Star Fox, because you shoot things.

Ninjuku

Smash Journeyman
bksbestbwoy said:
@Ninjuku - For the sake of a good laugh, what if it's Megaman Zero - Remastered? (My idea - Redo Zero 1 - 4 seperately and make it like Devil May Cry)
Youd see me camping as close as possible to the nearest GameStop for the next couple months...
Yeah...

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
That's cool.. Anyway, here's good question for everyone:

We are all tired of data stream spinoffs and semi-loosely related plots in our Mega Man games, so tell me in your own words...

What makes a great Mega Man game in terms of both story and button smashing, lol?

a platformer(classic, X, ?legends?, ZX)
action shooter(non-first person shooter)
a good level of difficulty(EXE. was far too easy a game, even in the *supposed to be* secret super areas).

When i saw that X: Tunnel Scene song, my heart skipped a beat for a sec. for some reason i thought he meant Mega Man X lol. but that lasted for about 0.04 seconds
I did the same thing:
1.I got excited
2.I wondered why they would release a music of such a expected character before the character him/herself
3.read the text below to learn it was completely unrelated
4.listened to the music

BTW did anyone else notice this update seemed focused on things such as the Icon theory, AC theory, and DS icon? cause this pretty much puts a bullet through those Ideas.

What do you guys think of Megaman's form in Brawl? In My Opinion, he'd look like weird in 3-D
I'm meaning 3-D movement.
well...we arnt going to have 3-D movement in brawl any way. we already have legends doing that and it seems to have worked out fine. also it seems all the megaman incarnations do fin(looks wise) in the transition to 3-D.
Super Mario 64? Uhm...
do you think it was a bad game? I am kinda confused were you went with this. cause SM64 was a great game.
So what's your point? Comparing a Mario game with a Mega Man game doesn't work. It's like comparing it to Star Fox, because you shoot things.
QFT you cant realy compare megaman to mario, they are too different.

Del Money

Smash Champion

I STRONGLY disagree...brace yourself for a rant...

Any popular platformer can work well in 3-D...ANY. Now I know what you may be thinking, Sonic failed hardcore. Well here's the truth. Sonic DOESN'T fail in 3-D. SEGA fails at developing Sonic in 3-D. The gameplay bugs are not as issue of Sonic being incompatible with 3 dimensions, it's a matter of Sega developers being too homosexually lazy to make sure important holes in their gameplay engine are in tact. And that's what they've consistently failed to do. Sonic in 3-D also doesn't lose ANY speed. In fact, I don't know any classic Sonic game that runs faster than any of the 3-D ones (maybe except Sonic and the Secret Rings...wouldn't know since I haven't played it). The problem with Sonic was merely in-game crap that no one was interested in (hunting, shooting, fishing, lame-as-balls voice acting, terrible ranking systems, etc.) and laziness of the development team and had jack **** to do about Sonic being in 3 dimensions.

Metroid Prime is a way that a 2-D game with a similar style to Mega Man could easily be converted to 3-D. The difference between 3-D platforming/adventure is that the controls have to be smoother than Smooth Criminal. And the graphics and physics engine has to flow flawlessly. Metroid Prime succeeded pretty well (though personally I would've wish the Metroid Prime games to be 3rd person shooting (Tomb Raider style-ish) rather than 1st person., but the 1st person aspect allows you to immerse yourself into the game much better.

A 3-D Mega Man platform adventure could be made in the Metroid Prime manner, or even better, a 3rd person 3-D shooter. That way, all the platform jumping, ladder climbing, and sliding can still be in tact...except in a 3-D setting. And if your worried about the free roaming 360 degree exploration factor, it could just be constrained to levels with only one real path to the end like Crash Bandicoot style.

Forgive me for going on so much, but I fail to believe the 3 dimensions should be the bane of the existence of classic greats. Metroid, Zelda, Mario, and even Rayman were really successful. And so Mega Man easily can be too.

Mega Man 4 Brawl

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
do you think it was a bad game? I am kinda confused were you went with this. cause SM64 was a great game.
No, I meant that 3-D games can be great! So I mentioned Mario 64. But I think that it doesn't work with the Mega Man formula.

Edit: Darn, if my English would only be a little more improved (or we could speak in German), I could explain my point a lot better. ^^

Xanderous

Smash Lord
To be fair, while MegaMan Legends is enjoyable to a certain group (myself included) the controls in that series suck big time. It's harder to make the jump than you think.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
When i saw that X: Tunnel Scene song, my heart skipped a beat for a sec. for some reason i thought he meant Mega Man X lol. but that lasted for about 0.04 seconds
im late, but you don't know how fast i scrolled down to find.... nothing

sakurai is the wrolds best mind gamer

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
hey guys check this out:

apparently, Capcom and Keiji Inafune are doing a joint collaboration and giving this piece of autographed win away in a drawing (Rockman Perfect Memories Board for the update)

the link to the actual drawing is on the Capcom US Blog

Link: http://blog.capcom.com/archives/623

Airmicro

Smash Cadet
To be fair, while MegaMan Legends is enjoyable to a certain group (myself included) the controls in that series suck big time. It's harder to make the jump than you think.
Megaman Legend had its up and down. The control were pretty basic but weren't really smooth. Basicaly, L1 and R1 were used to turn while left and right pad were used to strafe. When MML was made, there was no analog control yet (im talking about the ps1 version, just in case u didnt realize).

I think, if u make a MM in 3-D, with some lock-on system, it could world perfectly. Make the normal control Mario 64 like and when u lock-on target, u move like in Zelda: OOT. Make some stages were u can get to the boss in multiple ways with lots of USEFUL hidden items and ur set for a good game.

Edit: Just realized its page number 666. Beware the devil caise he may doom our thread!

Stryks

Smash Hero
oh hey cool another lame@$$ spritecomic to crap up the internet even more with, we should all be excited i guess.
1) Who are you again?
2) This is an RMB comic, u insult the comic, ur practically insulting the clan here
3) Keep ur opinions to urself if u dont like what were doing
good day...

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
So the comic comes out on Christmas huh? Nice! I can't wait to see how much I own or how much I get owned. I'm on Stryk's team, so theoretically I shoud do fairly well. :chuckle:

And yeah Legends controls should be a little smoother. On the other hand, it's the only Megaman game (other than X7 and X8) where you can do a barrel roll. :)

We're almost at 10000.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Hahaha awsome BK, but a bit too short tough, I bet its like a preview but too short :p

I like how the guyg from the link I sent add lyrics t the songs, bubblemans song is pure win...

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
yea the preview is so addictive that you want the full song to be playing whenever you start it. (That's what happens to me anyway

Top Bottom