• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Link Stage Discussion- Free discussion on any stage not covered

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Corneria.... well it's an odd stage. I personally **** on this stage (I 3 stocked my friends once >_O) but against certain characters it's pretty bad. Like a CGer. Don't go here against one of those. Upsides, infinite jab lock! :D ROB's wall infinite is extremely easy so this probably is not your stage against him. His projectile game isn't as affected as ours (odd angled curves will make a rang go A.W.O.L). Actually, it might get better because of those lasers of his. It can be angled upwards, and go all sorts of odd directions. Off the side kills are extremely easy (gimping won't be much a problem for you to avoid). There is a really big oppurtunity to stage spike ROB because of the large amount of space he could potentially recovery from. His recovery is long but it's not fast and is easy to spot. Take advantage of that while he recovers from underneath. Bomb him or bair. Both work very nicely. I recommend bombs because of their range. And if he tries to grab the bombs mid air, his recovery is stopped and you can send down another bomb or bair him. His usmash will be easily DI able. Bair plus sideways DI will be easy to pull off with all that space. Just all in all, avoid that engine thingy. Oh, and don't let him stall underneath the laser. It's hard for Link to get there or even get a bomb in there. Let the lasers fire or just wait. The match can't go on forever.

I think this stage is pretty good for Link.

sasook

Smash Champion
I understand what you're saying, but the things with his recovery.....

R.O.B. can use almost any aerial out of his recovery. Not only that, but good R.O.B. players know how to use aerials mixed with upb to get maximum flight. DullRazor, my trusty R.O.B. friend, knows how to stay in the air for 16 seconds straight and still make it back. :dizzy:

*gives sasook blanket* Ive seen you shrug a lot lately I thought this maybe could help.

Dont like corneria it has a wall. I dont have trouble with my spam game here though its quite nice to stand on that higher part thingy(is it a wing or what is it) at the middle of the ship. low ceiling, close side blast zones so easy kills and no gimp game.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
with the new stage stuff that umbreon is doing now I'm worried about the future counterpicks for Link. In his new list, Umbreon actually removed Norfair! :(

sasook

Smash Champion
All the more reason I'm testing GHZ. I dunno, that place just shouts potential to me. It suits me I guess (I love SH aerials) and I'm better at momentum canceling horizontally than vertically anyway. And I can't complain about the music :laugh:

sasook

Smash Champion
Project spam.....*considers it*

*remembers Legan doesnt project spam*

*is convinced*

pwnage Link ftw, forget cheapness, we got it with perfect spacing lol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
due to the general unpopularity, it's unlikely that these changes will happen soon, or at all for that matter. RC needs to be banned before Norfair...

sasook

Smash Champion
I like close range combos more than project spamming, even it if is flashy project spamming....

Seriously, it gives me such a thrill knowing that I make one wrong move and the whole match could get turned around because Link fails if he misses something....

First hits of bair and zair for comboing ftw

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
This is getting completely off topic :D Go to the Metagame discussion thread lol LETS TALK STAGES!

On topic, what's your **** stage (question for anyone). Mine is Corneria :3

sasook

Smash Champion
I don't really have one.....

I do decent on the neutrals.....

Been testing GHZ, as you all know

Umm, I used to totally **** on Delfino, but then my opponents figured out how to play that stage so now it doesn't work anymore

I do decent on PK2

Yeah I dunno anymore T-T

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
This is getting completely off topic :D Go to the Metagame discussion thread lol LETS TALK STAGES!

On topic, what's your **** stage (question for anyone). Mine is Corneria :3
Pokemon Stadium (I was really good in Melee on that stage so the mentality of Me=Win carried over into Brawl). As long as I don't try to get too flashy and end up hitting the bottom of the ledge, which is dastardly evil. My edgeguarding game is awesome in PT.

Corneria rocks simply because it negates opponents moves when they get hit by the laser and I am waiting below with an attack of my own. That or I get hit by the laser and immediately launch into another attack.
The fin is win for my jab cancelling combo, which I'm working hard on right now.

sasook

Smash Champion
Some vids of me have matches on some of the CP stages I discussed earlier in this thread, feel free to discuss. Personally, I found Yoshi's Island (Pipes) is a great CP for Link.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Greenhill zone is a legal counterpick stage in most cases. It is worth discussing and since I noticed you guys have nothing I'll say a few things.

Advantages:
Because of the slope it is harder for you to be chaingrabbed
The stage is built similar to norfair in the sense that there is a dip in the middle of the stage. This is catered to links projectile play
Those sonic (checkpoint spinning things) can become really useful. Its easy to control the field by simple using a projectile to hit it turning the terrain in your favor.
You don't have to worry about recovers.
Links fast fall and smoth boots make him slide around a little when you hit the slope. Learn to control it and its a huge asset.
If the stage breaks in the center it can be an asset to you projectile game. (depends on your opponent)

Disadvantages
It is a walkoff stage so you can be Chaingrabbed off the stage.
The best place for your projectiles are the edges of the stage but that also makes it the most dangerous.
Other obvious things.

sasook

Smash Champion
I wanna add that the middle is great for SH aerial lovers, horrible for ground-based players. Upthrow bombsliding works well here. And at a certain point, the zair can hit the opponent's feet if they're on the side and you're still on the slope. It'll like, go "through" it.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I wanna add that the middle is great for SH aerial lovers, horrible for ground-based players. Upthrow bombsliding works well here. And at a certain point, the zair can hit the opponent's feet if they're on the side and you're still on the slope. It'll like, go "through" it.
Doesn't go through it, but it does follow along the slope of the terrain. If you're directly below an opponent and you use zair against the ground the zair will go upwards and double hit your opponent rather than just bounce off the stage or go through it.
But Sasook is right in any case. Just some commentary.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I'll add that your while your projectile game is great on the sides. In the middle, Links disjointed attacks really help him take advantage of the way the way the stage is layed out.

sasook

Smash Champion
I think Yoshi's Island (Pipes) is worth discussing. I've been finding that stage very effective as of late.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I'm addicted to Green Greens. I've been infiniting my friends Spam Knight on that stage. I still think infinites should be banned but man it's fun to be cheap to someone who uses a cheap character :)

sasook

Smash Champion
Halberd is just ok. It's bad to use against people who can fly because they can attack from underneath.

And the reason I like Pipes so much is because it's pretty easy to set up jab locks, not to mention Link's smooth boots are very handy, and on the slopes, easy dair kills. Maybe if you're a project spammer, this isn't the place for you, but if you're close range like me, this stage works wonders.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
Halberd is just ok. It's bad to use against people who can fly because they can attack from underneath.

And the reason I like Pipes so much is because it's pretty easy to set up jab locks, not to mention Link's smooth boots are very handy, and on the slopes, easy dair kills. Maybe if you're a project spammer, this isn't the place for you, but if you're close range like me, this stage works wonders.
Yeah I usally pick it if I know who the person is picking.

Hmm pipez not my favourite...I don't like to be a projectible spammer...neither do i like being close...i'd say im between the both of them.

Deva

Smash Lord
I usually pick Halberd if My opponent bans Norfair. The stage is large like FD at some portions for spamming, with a nice middle platform for maneuverability. On the other parts the middle portion makes zairing opponents much easier with the inverted middle section making zairing short characters extremely simple. The stage also has a relatively low ceiling for easier kills on Link's part, as well as somewhat larger sides for survivability.

I usually pick Halberd if My opponent bans Norfair. The stage is large like FD at some portions for spamming, with a nice middle platform for maneuverability. On the other parts the middle portion makes zairing opponents much easier with the inverted middle section making zairing short characters extremely simple. The stage also has a relatively low ceiling for easier kills on Link's part, as well as somewhat larger sides for survivability.
lol halberd is my favorite stage, had it as avatar on my old account.

Zezima0123

Smash Apprentice
O_O what he said.

sasook

Smash Champion
Just found out aerial spin attack works great for killing on the right boundary of Green Hill Zone, since it's pathway is parallel to the ground on the right side.

Hue

Smash Cadet
I think Yoshi's Island (Pipes) is worth discussing. I've been finding that stage very effective as of late.
Just tried the old Yoshi's Island tonight and I love it. Lots of opportunities for jab locks, and really easy kills. UpB at the top of the large pipe kills at like 50-60%, and everything kills off the right side after about 75%. First time I played on it I got a "stage spike" with dsmash, off the right platform blocks down the middle pit :laugh:

EVERYTHING sets up jab locks here off the blocks, Dtilt even does it at 0% if they don't tech. Even Link's Dash attack does at mid-to-high percents.

Another thing I like about it is that horizontal recovery doesn't really matter at all, and Link has good vertical recovery, especially as the only places you can fall off have walls to stage bomb on.

Deva

Smash Lord
Since the boards generally cover Link's competitive aspects, I'd personally suggest doing all the legal neutrals and cps before other stages to further Link's metagame and help the Link community as a whole.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Good suggestion Deva. I'll make sure to do that. And guys. I need a lot of info on:
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

Thanks a whole bunch :D

Top Bottom