• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Link Stage Discussion- Free discussion on any stage not covered

sasook

Smash Champion
One of my favorite CP's, just because of the stage control Link has. Off stage, however, is Link's demise.

The windy(?) part, I think is pretty useful for Link's bombs, as well as dair spamming.

The icy part doubles the length of your DAC and bombslides, but other than that, this part is kind of risky since throwing a boomerang slides you forward, and well...it's just a part of the stage you should be wary.

The earthy part, I'd say stick to the right side. The left side doesn't suit Link's projectiles nor his sword attacks well. The right side, there's platforms and I'm not sure, but I think you can use the wall for a jab lock infinite.

On the normal part, the platforms as well as the wide flat ground is good for Link. Easy for him to use both projectiles and combo with melee attacks. Off stage, there is a lot of room to cover, so most of the time, Link won't make it back. That's the downside to this stage.

ShieryuSilvr

Smash Apprentice
Um, Im just clearing something up real quick. Norfair is a CP right? My friend told me it's banned, that can't be true :urg:

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Something new I'm doing.

I'm going to put in the info on Sunday so it wont' be in the OP until Sunday. Ok. :p Just needed to clear that up because this is the new run of the stage discussion.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Most tournaments in my area ban Norfair, sadly. Sometimes even Green Greens.
But yeah, sassook pretty much summed it up. I'd say Pokemon Stadium 2 gives Link a bit more of an advantage, but not too much.

Deva

Smash Lord
Norfair is banned in some regions, legal in others. It's legal in most of WC as far as I know.

ShieryuSilvr

Smash Apprentice
Norfair is banned in some regions, legal in others. It's legal in most of WC as far as I know.
Lol, my friend from Florida says its banned down there. That would be a huge help if the level became a counter-pick :laugh:
Like no joke, Link is border line broken at norfair O_O

4Serial

Smash Lord
low ceiling = like 90% u-tilt kill. lmao 50% d-air kill
The stage layout doesn't complement Link's versatile projectiles much imo =[
Looks like a bad stage vs Falco

the blocks can help you do a jab lock infinite :p

close sides makes f-tilt and f-smash deadly

Link dominates the side platforms

green greens = camping stage lol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Green Greens is one of the only stages which bomb planting is good for. Setting a time bomb for the falling blocks=massive win. Low ceiling makes for great killing potential and Link's weight allow him to avoid being star KO'd easily.

Link can camp on this stage easily, especially against slow characters. Link's ability to go under the stage is pretty cool too, I guess. :)

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Pictochat is one of my favorite stages for Link for several reasons. First of, it's somewhat large and gives you a lot of room to projectile spam. Stage hazards will only make it easier for you th escape and continue the assault. Unfortunately, high ceilings make for high % kills, so Link needs to kill left to right.

So yeah, overall a pretty good stage for Link!:)

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
For recovery yes but the wind is good for bombs range (maybe not :p). Ok I don't think it does but Pictochat is a good stage for Link. And Norfair is usually CP and yes, Luigi's should be banned. I hate that stage so much. It messes your spam up so bad.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Oh and also, I'm not updating on weekends. I add the info on Sunday but I don't do a stage on Saturday or Sunday.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Dude, bottom floor. Dsmash. Dsmash. Dsmash. Dsmash. They techroll, you grab, upthrow. Dsmash.

It works wonders.
I take it though that if they just tech, no rolling or anything, then you suddenly find yourself in their shoes. :p

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Updated finally. (I didn't have time this morning. I slept late and I have to catch the bus >_>) For the remainder of the day, today's stage is Yoshi's Island (Pipes).

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Island (Pipes) is almost always banned, so I really don't get to play it often. So, here's what i did observe when I played it once against my friend:

Positives:
*Link's recovery doesn't impede him much on this stage, only one small fall off ledge.
*You can plant bombs on the blocks for win. (You can even timebomb the middle one if you 4serial bombguard)
*Slanted surfaces allow Link to slide when he whiffs a Dair.
*The stage is moderately big and confusing, which means Link can projectile spam easily.
*Slanted surfaces also allow Link to Zair small characters a little more easily

Negatives:
*Walk off ledges can gimp Link easily and Link has a hard time gimping others
*If you Dair the middle section of blocks, you die. >_<

Um, yeah. I can't think of any more negatives off the top of my head.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Wow I didn't update all week. -___- Oh well. I'll update more next week. :D Thanks for the info everyone who posted.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I just hate Luigi's mansion because it's like a mini hyrule temple...
you can camp the bottom just to tech and survive forever which is the last thing brawl needs as the matches are long enough <_<
and you can pretty much run around and plank the hell out of that stage LOL
i just think it's really stupid, especially when you get MK's tornado in the picture, or some dumb **** like Lucario

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I guess I'll thrown in my two cents for my own thread. :/

Well for starters, the run off edges can come to you advantage or disadvantage. It saves you from spikes (for the most part until the stage breaks) but CGers can get an easy kill off of you. You can kill at lower percents and throws will kill easy near it.

The checkpoint marker spin thing is pretty powerful and has high knockback. Try to get to it first. It will give you a small amount of power over the match. You can easily hit it with a projectile. It can also break a combo. But if your opponent gets it first, be warned. All of you advantages will become theirs.

High ceiling, hard to KO Link off of, etc.

You can surprise your opponent by landing a Dair into the ground and sliding. It will be some what of a surprise and you might not be punished. Also, Dair won't do damage to the stage. It'll make you safer from a spike.

Spam gets messed up because of the odd shape of the stage. Don't throw your rang at the walls ramp thing. It could bounce off and you could lose it for a bit.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
The parts of this stage that colaspe, wait for them to reapear and then dair them. Youll hop on the stage instead of stabbibg it and have lagless dairs, Risking dairs without much punishment if any.

Within the middle tube arrow cancels are pretty worthless.
The middle tube makes zairs easier on smaller characters and there are no edges to be gimped off of, so i would counter pick Kirby or Jiggly here.

sasook

Smash Champion
I hate Onett, plain and simple. I find it hard to use projectiles, it requires a lot of jumping (Link's second jump ftl), and the cars are really annoying. Some good things though, is there are plenty, and I mean PLENTY of places for jab wall infinites. The side barriers or whatever are kind of close too, I'm not sure if there is a high ceiling.

sasook

Smash Champion
Bumping this thread.

Also, I noticed for Yoshi's Island, you didn't mention stage bombing. This is one of the few stages that actually works, and can aid Link's recovery.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Wow I need to update this thread so badly. O_o Maybe I'll just put in the other stages or make this free discussion lol And by like Christmas, I'll update it. XD So from now on, this thread is now free discussion for STAGES.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I'm going through my WTFZOMG Jab Lock period right now but I'm actually trying to get really good at it. Luigi's Mansion is a perfect place to setup a Jab lock. If you Up-Tilt on the first level where there's a tiny unpassable ceiling they'll bounce off and land in the jab lock position on the ground directly in front of you for the most part.

There is a tiny problem with it. When you hit the breakable pillar that may slow your jab down a bit before it reaches your target but it's not a hideous delay. This is a VERY reliable place to setup Jab Locks.

I've got a question. What are Links best 5 levels to use in general - not including counter picks of the character you're fighting. The ones that really let him shine. Maybe update the guide to show that in a number format? Idk throwing out ideas here.

sasook

Smash Champion
Well my friends, I've really REALLY been searching for a good CP against R.O.B. that isn't a neutral. Since both Norfair and RC don't work against him, we need something else:

R.O.B primarily relies on horizontal kills. His only vertical killers are usmash, dsmash, nair, and sometimes uair. I've noticed that most of the time the KOs R.O.B. gets will be a horizontal one. This takes out stages where the KO usually is a horizontal kill, like Mario Circuit and Distant Planet (or any stage with runoff edges). My exception, only by theory as of now, is Pipes. I'll get to that later.

Also, he has an amazing recovery. We need a stage where that recovery does not become too much of a problem. Recoveries like his is why we hate stages like Smashville when playing him.

So we need a stage where his recovery is negated. We all know that Link can easily get gimped in stages with large barriers where he can recover and we can't. This rules out the Pokemon Stadiums. We also need a stage where he can't attack from underneath the stage. This rules out Delfino, Halberd, and Brinstar.

Lylat, in my opinion, isn't a great stage for Link. I find the stage tilts to be quite annoying with projectiles. And maneuverability with the platforms is a bit awkward. High ceilings don't matter much, and it's not terribly hard to recover, but still, those stage tilts......I'll leave this one up to discussion.

Corneria is up to discussion. I really have no idea about this stage. Low ceilings, R.O.B.'s laser works well here I think, and that's really all the info I have on it.

Frigate Orpheon - R.O.B. players love this stage. That alone should tell us it's a no-no.

Jungle Japes is like THE camping stage of the game. Avoid this one. I've also heard Green Greens encourages camping. I'll leave that to discussion, I don't have much info on it.

Legan had said to CP castle siege awhile back. Personally, I feel that the statues decay your moves and mess up your projectiles, part 3 is a neutral with tilts, and part 1...he can gimp you right up against the wall underneath the ledge.

We finally get to Luigi's mansion. Short side walls, high ceiling, dsmash spam on the first floor, R.O.B.'s laser does VERY well inside the mansion. It's not a good idea to go here.

So that leaves us with:

Castle Siege - ???
Delfino
Halberd

Lylat Cruise - ???
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Corneria - ???
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat

Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Mario Circuit
Green Greens - ???

So my thoughts on the CPs against R.O.B. I've been experimenting with Green Hill Zone for a bit, and to be honest, I've found it quite successful so far. The ground decays your moves, yes, but the valley portion SO good for SH aerials. Also, Link's projectiles make getting the checkpoint a lot easier. Always remember to hit that checkpoint, it really can work wonders. The checkpoint is the blue bumper, for those of you who aren't Sonic fans. Plus, the angles of the ground mess up R.O.B.'s projectiles. There's not really a place where he can camp you. The ground will decay his dsmash as well. Fast falling on the sides will increase your speed down to the bottom too, because Link just slides. The only downside is that Link's dair is negated, since the ceiling is very high.

Pipes - another stage where I think the tight spaces and low ceilings are not good for R.O.B. Again, I think the angles would mess with R.O.B.'s projectiles, and a low ceiling is good for Link's dair. Plus, the chance of getting gimped is almost zero. Nearly every KO on you would have to be a direct hit.

Pirate ship - theoretically, the water stops all gimps from happening. However, being in the water also increases your chances of getting spiked. I'm not sure if R.O.B. can use his upb right out of the water, but if he can't and you're both in the water. feel free to use the dair, there's no landing lag. The ceiling isn't terribly high either, and the "falling ship" part is a great place to constantly use the dair. I know I keep stressing using the dair, but I just feel like that's the best move to KO R.O.B. Don't think I'm forgetting about other moves though.

If you feel different about anything I've said, would like to correct me or dispute me, please feel free to go ahead. I've been wanting to find a good stage against R.O.B. for a long time.

well I have been playing yoshi pipe stage for a while to test some things and I must agree it is one of the best stages for link. we have those blocks to bounce on and make a safe autocanceled dair. We can follow the slope on the right side perfectly with our dair so we air a millimeter above the ground all the way down. we can DI down every attack and survive to ridicoulus percentages, dair the ground to stop momnentum, it looks cool too. pipes is a midrange-no range stage, its impossible to space any further so I think its the best for links spacing. we have that gap in the middle of the stage where we can try spike ROB.

green hill zone messes up with my projectile game for some reason, when the stage collapses I always find myself in bad positions.

you find some flaws in the pirate ship yourself so I dont care about discussing that stage.

I give my vote for yoshi pipes as cp against rob.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Castle Siege - ???
Lylat Cruise - ???
Corneria - ???
Green Hill Zone
Pirate Ship
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens - ???
Castle Siege? No. You will be gimped hard on the first part of the stage. The second part of the stage limits both of your projectiles--but guess what? ROB still gets a full laser across the stage. Third part of the stage is massive gimpage for you and an easy projectile camp for Rob. The tilting affects him a little, but it certainly doesn't throw him off enough.
Lylat Cruise? No. You get gimped hardcore. It has no effect whatever on ROB.
Corneria? Maybe. I like the idea, but ROB can so totally infinite you on the bottom ledge with his dtilt. But then you could probably infinite jab cancel and jab lock down there too. I actually like the idea, but I'm still not sure I'm okay with the dtilt infinite.
Green Hill Zone? No. Like lootic said, the stage falling apart totally messes you up. ROB's projectile game becomes very difficult, but its just too easy for ROB to knock you off the sides of the stage.
Pirate Ship? Yes. The sides are wide, making it difficult for ROB to get a horizontal KO, while you get a serious vertical advantage if you so choose to use the center platforms (and we know that vertical strikes are ROB's weakness). The awkwardly angled platforms make it difficult for ROB to spam effectively (though it still can be done) and the constant barrage of bombs, tornadoes (good because of vertical fighting) and catapults really forces ROB to move around and get out of his campy style. This doesn't affect Link because a Link in one spot is a dead Link. :p
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)? Yes. But I'm too lazy to explain my reasoning here. See Lootic's post.
Green Greens? I don't really have an opinion on this one, because I hate Green Greens (Except that it has the Fountain of Dreams music from my favorite Melee stage ever).

sasook

Smash Champion
Where's the neutrals?
Link on Battlefield > ROB
Well my friends, I've really REALLY been searching for a good CP against R.O.B. that isn't a neutral.
>_>

Anyways.....

@Anon and Lootic, thanks for the input. So Castle Siege is out, as well as Lylat. Green Hill Zone, though you guys said no, I'm still iffy about. I dunno, my projectile game works well there. Maybe it's just personal preference. *shrug*

I agree with what else you guys said though. Seems like Pipes could definitely work. Pirate Ship too, though I never liked that stage.

I just found out recently that Green Greens encourages a lot of camping, is that true? If so, that's out too.

And Corneria needs more testing, I suppose.

Top Bottom