• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Kentucky Brawl PR

Kel

Smash Master
kel how come you never give me all the advice you know is it because DK is bad.
You never asked.

Ralph is one of the first people to actually ask for my advice and LISTEN. Not only that, he applies it immediately. This kid is going places.

Kel

Smash Master
I just don't normally tell people what to do with the game if they don't ask for suggestions. Ralph asks me every tournament what he can do to improve. On the flip side, S2 was going on for a while about how he beat me at the small tournaments, which leads me to believe that he sees himself as equal or higher skill than myself. This is fine, I don't care how people perceive me (and I actually like being underestimated), but this also means that I won't come out and tell someone what they should be doing better when they already consider themselves equal or superior to me. I help people who want help, and the less you think you know about the game, the better you will become.

Here's a fun tidbit, did any one here know that pretty much all of my Marth success has come from talking to CJ? CJ isn't very well known, and doesn't place high, but that guy knows as much about Marth as Judo knows about Shiek. Whenever I have a trouble match up, or need advice, or need him to go back to 2008 and start the metagame over for Marth again in writing so I have a chance to catch up to today's Marth metagame, CJ does and it has helped me immensely.

The more open you are to learning, the more likely you are to learn. Everyone can teach you something or give you ideas. Truth be told, I like going to anime con tournaments just to watch how people play when they aren't involved with the community. Some times I get great mind game ideas just from watching people play unorthodox.

So eat your vegetables.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I can vouch for Kel's thing about CJ. CJ is an amazing player (coach wise). It's like how Juu and I changed Carls' way of playing Fox over aggressive when all he needs to do is to shoot lasers.

:phone:

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I do think that I earned those wins and still would have if the tourney was worth more or whatever motivates yourself. Your Marth and even your play as a whole has evolved since then and I've been thinking a lot on how to beat it. So you're close on what I think and I apologize for being arrogant. Also I've always recognized you as someone who understood a whole lot of theory about this game. Ever since you demonstrated MK landing trapping Snake, how to do that, and I did take things away from that myself. And I did just never ask and the time you did try to give me advice (at S2D just recently) I wasn't in a good state of mind to listen.

Kel

Smash Master
It has not. You are the only DK I play with Marth (other than Crash at the last S2D), so my MU knowledge was equal or less at Retribution and S2D than Chi's tournament.

Even if my Marth's play did evolve, I was still playing D3 on those days.

But yeah, that's why I mostly only help Ralph.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I just don't normally tell people what to do with the game if they don't ask for suggestions. Ralph asks me every tournament what he can do to improve. On the flip side, S2 was going on for a while about how he beat me at the small tournaments, which leads me to believe that he sees himself as equal or higher skill than myself. This is fine, I don't care how people perceive me (and I actually like being underestimated), but this also means that I won't come out and tell someone what they should be doing better when they already consider themselves equal or superior to me. I help people who want help, and the less you think you know about the game, the better you will become.

Here's a fun tidbit, did any one here know that pretty much all of my Marth success has come from talking to CJ? CJ isn't very well known, and doesn't place high, but that guy knows as much about Marth as Judo knows about Shiek. Whenever I have a trouble match up, or need advice, or need him to go back to 2008 and start the metagame over for Marth again in writing so I have a chance to catch up to today's Marth metagame, CJ does and it has helped me immensely.

The more open you are to learning, the more likely you are to learn. Everyone can teach you something or give you ideas. Truth be told, I like going to anime con tournaments just to watch how people play when they aren't involved with the community. Some times I get great mind game ideas just from watching people play unorthodox.

So eat your vegetables.
Really good post, Kel. I don't get to say that in this thread. But I hope a lot of people read it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually liked where the conversation is going.
For Lexington to be the central point of our smash scene I feel, I really wish they had a better drive as a whole. I'm not saying people are bad there, that's quite the contrary. But I definitely don't get a "I wanna get better vibe" outta them like I used to. I think SP is about the only one I really get that from. Probably would get it from KERO too but I barely see him and we don't really get to make much conversation when we play.
But you guys really are a talented bunch of players. I would love to see more of that. The reconstruction of this PR (and the future reconstructions that will occur after each season) was solely intended to motivate players and let them keep track of their tournament-to-tournament progress. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes it's good. Sometimes it's always just sucky or goody. Whichever it may be, like Kel was saying earlier, you have to ACCEPT how good you really are or simply think you still have a lot to learn to really make more room for more ideas about the game.

And I want to apologize really quick to Kel and Kassandra since I never really found many moments to come by and play smash as well while you guys have lived here. I've been in a state with college where I didn't really know how to manage my time properly. I was at a point where I was cancelling every last Morehead smashfest as well; and that's just not me. But since Lexington hasn't spent a great deal of time in the hyperbolic time chamber with you guys, I hope you can find good training in Cincy. You just won't find Canes there...

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
It's okay Eric, we just missed you beepo butt! ^_^ you know we both would be happy to play mk against you all day and make your rob into el beepo the mk slayer. ^___^

Judo777

Smash Master
I don't blame you for switching there tbh, Yoshi is broken as **** and deserves every bad thing that happens to him.
Yoshi is........ so bad........ like I love the character and want him to be good..... buts hes just not.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Who all here plays wifi ever? Or would resort to it for practice?

Kel

Smash Master
After we move back to Ohio we should be able to play more wifi. We had to stop because Insight is garbage

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I just had a really good PR idea. It could be cracker themed. You see, Judo can be Wheat Thins because he loves those things. And I can be Triscuits because I'm more of a triscuit guy. Then we can have Ralph Cecil be Cheese-its because when you play him he makes you cheese it. And then we can have SP be a picture of himself.

SoulPech

Smash Master
I just had a really good PR idea. It could be cracker themed. You see, Judo can be Wheat Thins because he loves those things. And I can be Triscuits because I'm more of a triscuit guy. Then we can have Ralph Cecil be Cheese-its because when you play him he makes you cheese it. And then we can have SP be a picture of himself.

-dead -

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
S2 I hate you and you're just as white as I am.

Judo777

Smash Master
Greatest post ever! lmao

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Phoenix Saga 5
December 1, 2012
Total Entrants: 72
Placement: 33rd
Results Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330491
Bracket Img: http://i45.servimg.com/u/f45/12/85/37/24/bracke10.jpg

Pools:
Lost to Ally (ROB vs Snake) 0-2
Defeated Fuujin (ROB vs Zelda) 2-1
Defeated Knight (ROB vs Ike) 2-0
Defeated Pidgezero one (ROB vs Ness) 2-0

Winner's Bracket:
Lost to Oblivion (ROB vs Snake) 1-2

Loser's Bracket:
Lost to Carls (ROB vs Fox) 0-2

Money Matches:
Lost to Tyrant (ROB vs MK) 0-2 $3

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology

That was one of the funniest ways of calling someone white ever.

Top Bottom