• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
that video thing is nothing but a fad. there is no video. it's just to spark interest in people gullible enough to believe something was extremely 'bad' or whatever.
you know linkfan right? also known as Cassie?.. she seen it and i'm pretty sure she wouldn't lie. just a thought anyways, back on topic!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno Thread Awards BTW

People who got the 1000 posts of this thread
magnebula - 1,000
shadenexus18 - 2,000
Snakz - 3,000
Oshiro Akina - 4,000

Top 4 Posters
PsychoIncarnate - 369
Enigma14 - 251
Sinn - 174
McFox - 144

Snakz

Smash Ace
Oh wow, i did get the 3,000th post didn't i....sweeeet

EDIT: Ok, so here's a list of members of "The ♥♪!? Association" so far

Same thing, im probably missing a lot of names here so if i forgot you, or you'd like to be added, just tell me

The ♥♪!? Association
a.k.a. The Geno Association
"Servitors of a Higher Authority"

Thread Creator: McFox (obviously)

Brawlman
Chi's Finest
Copperpot
DynamiteSpoony
Enigma14
Foz
genosall
GenoStrike
GhostAnime
hemightbegiant
JesterBox
Loooooni
Mcpuff
Oshiro Akina
paralasalud
prettymanfairy
PsychoIncarnate
Ralph Marquee
Shadowbolt
Sinn
Snakz
SonicSpeed
Sponge
Super Mario Whirled
TBone06
vesperview

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
GameFAQs, even on the Brawl boards, is just stupid. I'm sick of those casual vs pro arguments everyday. usually with the casuals being ignorant of course..

Snakz

Smash Ace
Should i make a rant for the arguments for Geno, and the very few against him? or would that be copying too much of the RIDLEY thread?

If so ill do it tomorrow

Sinn

Smash Lord
WOOT! I am part of the club too! I was a little out of it last night, otherwise I would have demanded to be on it sooner. Fantastic <3

I think the best thing about our club is that there's no way to pronounce it. Mwahaha! This is something I would actually use a support button user bar thingie for =D

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the list! ^^

*gives everyone on the list Geno and Star Road cookies*

And I was the 4,000th post? O_O

*dies, then comes back to life*

I want a support banner too! *points to empty signature*

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Should i make a rant for the arguments for Geno, and the very few against him? or would that be copying too much of the RIDLEY thread?

If so ill do it tomorrow
It wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd definately have McFox quote this stuff in the first post, for the sake of newcomers looking for information.

However, I'd get rid of the 'awards' portion. That's a bit too much like the Ridley thread for my tastes. Hell, half of the posts that win people these 'awards' are spam and consist of little to no feedback/information. If anything, posters should be valued for the quality of their posts and not the amount of times they've said, "(Insert Character Name Here) for Brawl!!"

But I digress. If you want to take a few shortcuts in compiling this 'rant', look through my post history a ways back. I've argued up-and-down about Geno with JimmySilverRims in Wiseguy's thread. That should give you a pretty good start.

Edit: Oh, and might as well add me onto that list of yours. :wink: :wink:

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Oh, fancy that.

Also, I haven't seen many people discuss what Geno's arena would be in Brawl. I was particularly keen on the following ideas:

Lost Woods: Bowyer Showdown
- Fighters stand atop a massive tree trunk. Players fight as Bowyer launches arrows from the background, striking a button layout on the ground. When a button is struck with an arrow, players cannot use that corresponding button on their controller (Jump, 'A' Attack, or 'B' Attack). The effect lasts until Bowyer disables another button. He also shoots stray arrows that occasionally fall onto the battlefield.

- Players can see Bowyer's flunkies fighting over, and ultimately trying to hide, a star in the background.

Land's End: Cliffs Over Monstro Town
- Players fight at the summit of a high cliff with random geometry. Cannons are nessled into cracks in the earth that send players soaring into the air when used, though the trajectory/aim of said cannons is limited. Paratroopa's will fly in from time-to-time to provide small platforms at the edges of the cliff.

- Players can see Monstro Town far below in the background.

Dhaka

Smash Cadet
*completely agrees with copperpot's stage idea"

if possible could you please add me to the geno association list too. Thank you

(been a long time reader of smashboards and this thread too... I just don't post much)

Snakz

Smash Ace
Alrighty, here's the list of members so far, and i've added my rant, enjoy!

Go ahead an critique the rant, i could use it, and if you wana make any edits yourself, go ahead, just be sure to tell me what you've edited and why

Im probably missing a lot of names here so if i forgot you, or you'd like to be added, just tell me

The ♥♪!? Alliance
a.k.a. The Geno Alliance
"Servitors of a Higher Authority"

Thread Creator: McFox (obviously)

Brawlman
Chi's Finest
Copperpot
Dhaka
DynamiteSpoony
Enigma14
Foz
genosall
GenoStrike
GhostAnime
hemightbegiant
JesterBox
Loooooni
Mcpuff
Oshiro Akina
paralasalud
prettymanfairy
PsychoIncarnate
Ralph Marquee
Shadowbolt
Sinn
Snakz
SonicSpeed
Sponge
Super Mario Whirled
TBone06
vesperview

Geno for Brawl: Arguments from Both Sides
By Snakz

Geno’s got a lot of things going for him, I’ll mention the arguments for him, but really this is meant to tackle the arguments against him.

Pro:

1) Geno is unique in character

If you want to know who Geno is, ill give you a summary. Geno, who’s true name is actually ♥♪!? is a star spirit/guardian that came from Star Road, a place that makes wishes come true. Star Road was destroyed by Smithy when he drove the giant sword, Exor through and shattered it into 7 stars, all of which landed on Earth. So he came down to Earth and possessed a doll name Geno to collect the stars and eventually, with Mario’s help, he defeated Smithy and restored order to Star Road and Earth.

Now Geno has a very likable and strong personality, were it not for Mario, I’m sure Geno would’ve been just fine being the leader of the party, since he seems to have that quality. Now his background is undeniably unique, and anyone who says he’s not unique enough for Brawl should go play SMRPG. If they finished it and are still not convinced, you should consider therapy.

2) Extremely easy to make a moveset for

If you haven’t taken time out of your busy schedule, I suggest taking a few clicks and looking at McFox’s moveset for Geno. In terms of special moves, moveset is pretty much the same moveset that most people have for Geno. As for the rest, there are usually a lot of similarities between what McFox has and what others have, but people do get pretty creative with the rest of his moves. Either way, Geno is probably one of the easiest characters to make a moveset for and would deffinetly not be a problem adding him into Brawl on a technical stand point.

3) Geno is tied for 2nd place on Sakurai’s poll

This is probably the best argument for Geno on the more political side of things. Next to Sonic, Geno is the most requested 3rd party character on the poll (and he’s not even purely 3rd party, more on that later). Without this, Geno’s fans would be getting shot down left and right because people would claim he doesn’t have a strong standing on the poll, and since many people don’t know him, he wouldn’t stand a chance. But because he tied with such contenders as Ike and Diddy Kong (who are confirmed), this is a strong case.

** Now there is one more thing I’d like to add about the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix. There’s been a lot of people saying the they are getting things better between each other now and other people saying they’re relationship isn’t as good as it was. If there’s one thing we can make a fact of is this; if SMRPG is coming to the Virtual Console, that’s has to say something about the two companies having a good enough relationship to agree to re-release SMRPG to the VC.

Con:

1) Nobody's heard of him

This argument right off the bat is so weak, every time I hear this arguement being used it makes me want to choke puppies. We have so many examples of this factor not being an issue. First off, we have Geno’s poll numbers, tied for second. CLEARLY, enough people have heard of Geno for them to believe he deserves a spot in Brawl. Secondly, don’t know about you, but had you ever heard of the Ice Climbers and/or Mr. Game & Watch before Melee was released? Unless you played their games, most people would say they haven’t. So not having been heard of is definitely not a valid reason not to be included in Brawl.

2) We have too many Mario reps already

Usually, the people who say this are the same people who believe DK, Yoshi and Wario are considered part of the Mario franchise, when Sakurai clearly shows that at least that for Brawl’s sake that is not the case. Sure, they got their start in Mario games, no question, but it doesn’t matter whether you believe they have they’re own separate franchise or not, Sakurai considers them separate franchises. So not including those characters, we have Mario, most likely Luigi, Bowser and Peach, and don’t tell me Dr. Mario is returning, his chances are almost nigh. So that’s 4 characters, I wouldn’t say one more is too much, would you? Pokémon already has 4 representatives (Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer who has 3 other Pokémon), there’s a good chance that there will be one more representative. Remember we’re about franchise representation here, not slots. The number of slots is not significant as they can change easily. So if Pokémon can have 5 reps, why not Nintendo’s most well-known franchise?

Not to mention the Pokémon franchise is also represented by the countless number of Pokémon in the Pokéball item. Though now with the introduction of Assist Trophies, other franchises, and even those who will not get a PC rep can still have a chance to shine in Brawl, though slightly, well ain’t that peachy? So far we’ve been shown the Hammer Bros, Bullet Bills and Latiku to represent the Mario franchise in AT fashion. Although there will probably be more from the Mario series, there’s no question that the number of Pokémon non-PC reps will outnumber non-PC Mario reps, so even in that respect, Mario will not be the most represented. Also there’s a little series needing mention called Zelda. It’s been predicted that there will be two more reps, Ganondorf being one of them (what a surprise) and mainly a competition between Midna w/ or w/out Wolf Link and WW Link. I wont get into that since this is no the place for that, but the point it this; Zelda is very likely to have at least 5 PC reps, same goes to Pokémon, so what’s to say the Mario series shouldn’t get 5 reps?

Of course, others will argue for Bowser Jr. as the last Mario rep. Most do not believe that Geno AND Bowser Jr. will make it to Brawl, so that really comes down to your own opinion on who should get in between those two.

3) He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot.

4) Geno's third party, he's not worthy of a third party slot

Alright now to the juicy stuff. This is probably the most common argument made against Geno since he is owned by Square-Enix. If you haven’t read this (Thanks to PsychoIncarnate for this find!), I strongly suggest you do: http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/ It’s an argument saying the Geno isn’t exactly 3rd party, but something called 2nd ½ party. If this really is the case for Geno’s legal stand point, then there’s virtually no problem in adding Geno.

But if you don’t believe the article and still think Geno will be purely 3rd party, your most likely saying that Geno is not worthy of the last (or supposedly last) 3rd party spot compared to Megaman, Bomberman, Rayman, or “someotherman”. Personally, I believe that if Geno really is pure 3rd party (which I don’t) then the only competition he has is Megaman.

Now let me get this out of the way first; whether you believe Geno is worthy of Brawl is purely your own opinion, there’s nothing factual about worthiness. Now Megaman is no doubt a very iconic character and has been on numerous titles to which I won’t bother counting, most of which are on a Nintendo console. But considering Megaman only received two votes, it’s obviously not the best he could get, but it’s not a very strong case for his appearance in Brawl, so many of his fans are relying on his popularity outside the polls. The bad part for Megaman is we really don’t know how much Sakurai is looking into Megaman as a result of the poll. Because of his relative poor rank on the poll compared to his popularity, I consider Megaman and Geno to be equals in terms of purely 3rd parties. The rest is just my favoring of Geno over Megaman.

As for other 3rd party characters, it’s for the most part, the same case. They got relatively low standings on the polls (or in some character’s cases, not at all, yet still being supported), so the fans rely on the character’s popularity alone. I honestly think the poll will turn out to have a great impact on who will be considered to enter Brawl, Which is certainly the case for Geno. Unfortunately for the rest, I don’t think the other character’s popularity will enough (for the record, I’d love to see Bomberman in Brawl, but I just don’t see it happening).

Now if Sakurai decides to tell us he changed his mind and is letting more 3rd party characters in, then we’ve more to discuss, but until then, that’s all I gotta say about Geno and 3rd parties. Just remember, overall I don’t consider Geno a pure 3rd party addition, and I sure plenty of Geno fans don’t either, but there are still some who do, and I wanted to point out they’re possible views on it.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
Good job on the rant! In the part about the "reps" you should also mention how Pokemon also has the Pokeballs and the Pokemon inside of them as well to "represent."

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Good job on the rant! In the part about the "reps" you should also mention how Pokemon also has the Pokeballs and the Pokemon inside of them as well to "represent."
I agree that the rant was a good read, but your point on Pokeballs is sinking now that Assist Trophies are in the game. There is potential for all sorts of characters from all series now.

Snakz

Smash Ace
I agree that the rant was a good read, but your point on Pokeballs is sinking now that Assist Trophies are in the game. There is potential for all sorts of characters from all series now.
That is true, i didn't really take that into account did i? :embarrass

I might take into account in the rant later, but like i said, you think you can edit it well, go ahead

EDIT: There we go! :) tell me if you guys like that section now

Sinn

Smash Lord
Still writing Geno's script for the thingie...

Edgeworth: Your Honor, the defendant is clearly not qualified to join the ranks of Smash. Why, who has even heard of him? He's been featured in maybe two games. Surely this is not enough to--

Ice Climbers: Hi guys! Nick invited us to watch the trial!

Edgeworth: ......Curse you, Wright!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nice people....But your all up to early...I'll be back later

D

Deleted member

Ugh. Timezones suck. I wished the world would live in one big time zone so we can all see Geno's official update on DOJO at the same time.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Ugh. Timezones suck. I wished the world would live in one big time zone so we can all see Geno's official update on DOJO at the same time.
Would be nice, ah well. I just can't wait for Geno's update, period. =p

D

Deleted member

I live in the Eastern area, so I don't get updates 'til 2 - 3 am or so. I check every morning before I go to school though.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
I'm the same with you Foz. If there is a holiday when Geno is updated i'll be able to stay up and wait. Man...just thinking about Geno in Brawl makes me smile. (and makes me wannna play smrpg lol)

Loooooni

Smash Ace
Stuck in the 4th dungeon of twilight princess
woot I am on the list anyhoo Here is my stage idea:

-Star Road it has a battlefield layout except on the three platforms there are the star doors. If you press the taunt button while you are at that door it will make you enter it and come out a different random one making for some pretty strange matches.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
Cool stage idea, Loooooni! ^^ What music do you think we'll hear in the background?

That would be so cool if we could all see THE UPDATE at the same time.

I'm in the Eastern time zone so I don't get my updates until 3am. @@

Come on, Sakurai! Make the update tonight! *big sad chibi puppy dog eyes*

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Oooooyyyy... I keep hoping we'll see Geno's playable character update on the website every morning - I so want this madness to come to an end. Once Geno is revealed, we'll be good to go - and the earlier he's revealed, the more time we'll have to shove it in people's faces.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I see Geno's stage as having a mystical setting, light soft music with a spacey background, stars, nebula's, the occasional comet flying by in the background (Far away so it looks like a shooting star...

Geno's official theme playing (His unofficial forest theme wouldn't fit in those settings)...

I like the idea of star road...I can even think of a bunch of unique ways it could be made

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
If I can, I stay up for the update. If I can't, I check it first thing in the morning.

I always get excited when I see the "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" banner, but get disappointed when I realize that it's not him.

But I have faith that he WILL be in Brawl, and as a PC too.

I want this madness to come to an end too. I know a few people in person that don't think Geno will make it in, and when he is confirmed I am going to rub it in their faces like no tomorrow. >:3

Top Bottom