• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
shes not...

I still don't understand why people believe crap like that... seriously. 35 characters ISN'T ENOUGH! it's a LOGICAL FACT!
Especially with all these 'we really thought of everything!' type quotes.

Now, I've been thinking and, how graphically cool do you think Claus will be if he's in? All the characters other than Wario's alt have had amazing detail so far, so how do you think Claus will look? He's only been in cartoon form as I've seen him so do you think he'll look much more dark? Also, I've just been looking at his sprites, and his Jet pack is never visible apart from when he extends his wings. Do you think he'll have a permanant Jetpack out which shoots his wings out when he extends them?

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking a few things through and have come up with a few more facts that can fight against any reasons people may have to say that Claus couldn't be in Brawl

1. As the Masked Man he never talks
Answer: Actually, yes he does. He never says a word to Lucas, no, but he obviously has spoken to the Pig Mask soldiers. It's obvious by two things presented at the same time - (mother 3 spoilers maybe) When he pulls the first needle and leaves, he drops his cell phone. You don't give a cell phone to a person who can't talk. Also, soon after, Lucas gets a call on it telling him to meet at the chimera labs. The pig mask on the phone comments on how "unusually chipper" he sounds.

2. He never takes off his helmet, if he does he dies.
Answer: Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I think he does, personally. It's the only way that the pig masks could mistake Lucas for him. It does stand against that he takes it off since you would think they would remember Claus has red hair, but these guys have proven themselves to be idiots on more than one account. What does taking off your helmet have to do with anything anyway?

3. His hands are full. Buster Gun and Sword? How will he pick up items?
Answer: The buster gun must be removable. Although not shown in the overworld sprite afterward, his battle sprite does remove the gun. So if it were a weapon, it could be easily slipped on just like Fox's gun.

Maybe this will stop the naysayers a bit more :p If there's any left...

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking a few things through and have come up with a few more facts that can fight against any reasons people may have to say that Claus couldn't be in Brawl

Answer: Actually, yes he does. He never says a word to Lucas, no, but he obviously has spoken to the Pig Mask soldiers. It's obvious by two things presented at the same time - (mother 3 spoilers maybe) When he pulls the first needle and leaves, he drops his cell phone. You don't give a cell phone to a person who can't talk. Also, soon after, Lucas gets a call on it telling him to meet at the chimera labs. The pig mask on the phone comments on how "unusually chipper" he sounds.

Answer: Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I think he does, personally. It's the only way that the pig masks could mistake Lucas for him. It does stand against that he takes it off since you would think they would remember Claus has red hair, but these guys have proven themselves to be idiots on more than one account. What does taking off your helmet have to do with anything anyway?

Answer: The buster gun must be removable. Although not shown in the overworld sprite afterward, his battle sprite does remove the gun. So if it were a weapon, it could be easily slipped on just like Fox's gun.

Wow, two of those points are really stupid. He never takes his helmet off? WTF, neither does Falcon (in smash) , hows that mean he can't be in smash? He can't talk? So... can Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Yoshi (Well alright, Otacon says he can) you get the point, besides how would that effect him? In fact, an awesome victory screen would be him just looking forward and a mother 3 text box coming up with just
'...'

Deku Boy

Smash Cadet

All of those points are dead wrong.

Claus can talk. He simply doesn't talk to Lucas because his soul is being repressed by the Pigmask's technology.

He can also take off his helmet... and do so without dying. The only reason he dies after taking off his helmet is because he also gets struck by his own lightning. And why would he take off his helmet anyways? We want him in as the Masked Man. We want him wearing his helmet.

And lastly, he can both sheath his sword and put his arm cannon away. In fact, it usually is away. He can have a free hand at any given moment. You may wonder, "what happens to his item when he uses the laser?" Well, check Melee. Your characters' items will temporarily disappear when they use most of their special attacks. The same applies for Claus.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
After much thinking I think NyaseNya is wrong.35 characters is too safe.
Anyway:I think the Pig Mask Army FS idea is great,but I can see them as AT.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
All of those points are dead wrong.

Claus can talk. He simply doesn't talk to Lucas because his soul is being repressed by the Pigmask's technology.

He can also take off his helmet... and do so without dying. The only reason he dies after taking off his helmet is because he also gets struck by his own lightning. And why would he take off his helmet anyways? We want him in as the Masked Man. We want him wearing his helmet.

And lastly, he can both sheath his sword and put his arm cannon away. In fact, it usually is away. He can have a free hand at any given moment. You may wonder, "what happens to his item when he uses the laser?" Well, check Melee. Your characters' items will temporarily disappear when they use most of their special attacks. The same applies for Claus.
Didn't say I came up with them. But you never can tell what the next stupid thing someone says might be. As I said, they're just ways to prove people wrong. I personally think that him taking his helmet off as a taunt would be cool... as well as spoilertastic. Oh well. Yay for more time to sit around waiting.

Every time there's a delay, a Pig Mask gets promoted :p

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Here's a fairly accurate reason, though:

http://wii.com/jp/movies/smashbros-movie1/

Notice the stickers around 4-5 minutes or so. Note that Sonic has two stickers with parenthetical notations differentiating the two. Note that Claus merely appears in his child form.

If the implication holds true, I just give up. First the delay, but this would just be too much... :(

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Claus sticker!

Is this good or bad for Claus? I'd say it's good, wouldn't you agree?
Well...I'm less enthused about it than you are, but I can't fault your optimism. I would be more optimistic about Brawl if we hadn't just been hit with an extra-month delay. :ohwell:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/097/097715p1.html

Ganondorf's trophy was shown around three months before Melee's Japan release. I say that being his kid sprite doesn't harm his chances at all...

I'm worried about Bowser Jr. though.
I suppose you're right...it's just hard to stay hopeful given the bad news that we've already received today. :( I really want to believe that Claus still has a chance, though. Thanks for the reminder that he shouldn't be discounted just yet, PGY.

And, seeing as vesperview is no longer able to run the thread, I volunteer myself to take the reins of the Masked Man's Pig Mask Army if no one else wants to.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the pink haired one is Kumatora. Having a sticker doesn't really harm his chances... if anything it kinda makes them better. Stickers are really just trophies they're too lazy to make a model of :p

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that's the video on the other page... Claus was requested just as much as Lucas, right? So having his sticker in there would be a good sign of him being in, unlike with Kumatora, who wasn't requested as much.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey, I just realized...

Onett may have actually lowered Ness' chances...

With Onett in, they can't truly argue that Ape being involved assures Ness because the rest of the content shown is Mother 3...

Claus for Brawl

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Yeah, that's the video on the other page... Claus was requested just as much as Lucas, right? So having his sticker in there would be a good sign of him being in, unlike with Kumatora, who wasn't requested as much.
Actually, thethirdkoopa pointed out that Claus was actually mentioned on Sakurai's blog two more times than Lucas. With 4 acknowledgments, Claus is tied with the likes of Ike (confirmed), Diddy (confirmed), Ridley, and Krystal. Statistically, his chances should be solid. I'm just worried that someone might have a lapse of judgment. :ohwell:

Hey, I just realized...

Onett may have actually lowered Ness' chances...

With Onett in, they can't truly argue that Ape being involved assures Ness because the rest of the content shown is Mother 3...

Claus for Brawl
Wow...good point! I hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense. Here's to hoping that Claus takes a spot on the roster before Ness can. ;)

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
That's Duster. In Mother 3, everyone has their own instrument that plays while they attack. Duster's is the guitar. Since he has no PSI, it makes sense that his attack would be standard physical attacks, but I never saw the guitar being put into the mix. Great find, I never noticed when I watched the video the first time.

T-major

Smash Champion
Claus sticker!

Is this good or bad for Claus? I'd say it's good, wouldn't you agree?
just wanted to point out that stickers nothing but PGN images coded into the game... that take hardly no effort to add, so having a Claus sticker (of the version we don't want) doesn't mean anything...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I just want to say this becuase I seriously doubt hardly anyone's on right now: the Claus sticker does not deconfirm Claus because, if Claus is playable, there's a freakishly high chance that he'll fight in his Masked Man form. Being reveiled as trophies, however, does pretty much kill their chances and today we saw Tom Nook, Chibi Robo, Baby Mario and Luigi (thank God...), and the Ouedan Cheer Group (and presumably the Elite Beat Agents too) hit the fan and will probably be assist trophies. I think WW Young Link is an exception though because he'd more then likely wear the traditional clothing if he were playable.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman

If Mario has a trophy of his Strikers form, then a sticker of Claus in regular form doesn't worry me in the least. This is technically his first actual acknowledgement we know of in Brawl. Also, the trophies of playable characters in Melee looked different to thier in game models, so even if he had a trophy appearance he'd not be deconfirmed.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I just want to say this becuase I seriously doubt hardly anyone's on right now: the Claus sticker does not deconfirm Claus because, if Claus is playable, there's a freakishly high chance that he'll fight in his Masked Man form. Being reveiled as trophies, however, does pretty much kill their chances and today we saw Tom Nook, Chibi Robo, Baby Mario and Luigi (thank God...), and the Ouedan Cheer Group (and presumably the Elite Beat Agents too) hit the fan and will probably be assist trophies. I think WW Young Link is an exception though because he'd more then likely wear the traditional clothing if he were playable.
Exactally, And also i'd like to say that barbara the bat was that AT By the looks of it, So it's not flint/Duster (Probably not.) D:

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Barbara the bat plays guitar? I can't mistake a guitar when I see it.

Here's a little proof for you all, I've sharpened the image from the video -

I added in the sprite of Duster to help you compare. Notice how his hair arches down and the long face.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
And, seeing as vesperview is no longer able to run the thread, I volunteer myself to take the reins of the Masked Man's Pig Mask Army if no one else wants to.
*Raises hand* :lick:

That's Duster. In Mother 3, everyone has their own instrument that plays while they attack. Duster's is the guitar. Since he has no PSI, it makes sense that his attack would be standard physical attacks, but I never saw the guitar being put into the mix. Great find, I never noticed when I watched the video the first time.
I hope it is, I'd just love to see a better image.

Actually, thethirdkoopa pointed out that Claus was actually mentioned on Sakurai's blog two more times than Lucas. With 4 acknowledgments, Claus is tied with the likes of Ike (confirmed), Diddy (confirmed), Ridley, and Krystal. Statistically, his chances should be solid. I'm just worried that someone might have a lapse of judgment. :ohwell:
Also sakurai's journal has been proven to be even more realistic to his choices as the game got delayed, Megaman anyone? I'm really starting to think that Ridley Krystal and Geno are everything but confirmed at this rate, And if they are and Duster being an AT Puts everyone else with a lower role down...Only thing that's left is ness *Hopes for "Ness AT Update" Announcement* Then we're sure to get him depending on Mother's representation, But we have 25 characters announced and most of which being starters, So there's not much harm into putting 15 More characters on the field, And with MOTHER earning a second rep mostly and Claus being the only logical choice...

...I think you know where i am pointing to.

Really there's already the krystal VA Leak, The one about geno i heard about (Don't know much on it, Just heard about it.) And the "To small" Thing has been killed once again with olimar + Ridley's popularity and all with literatly no good anti-arguement against him and we all here know that he will be in...

Yep.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Sakurai has played Mother 3... I would hope he has.

HAL Labs has had a role in Mother from 1 to 3, so if Kirby can have three reps, why shouldn't Mother at least get 2? I personally don't see a reason Ness, Lucas, and another character from Mother couldn't exist. Mother is one of the most popular series in Japan, and it would be in America, if the majority of gamers here actually liked games with story and meaning, but we're more fond of senseless killing. I'm sure that someone could say "Well Mother has never been released in Europe" but I think it's been proven on more than one account, video game producers hate Europe XD

Also - This has nothing to do with Brawl or hints at Claus' inclusion, but it's probably one of the most awesome things I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50GUx5VbTXw

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't see why mother can't have two, Really, The thing with kirby however is that it's currently the 4th best selling franchise to nintendo and sakurai made it + It has had around 18 games with Mother having only 3? Still mother has the popularity in japan and cult status...

And sakurai made mother 3. :)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Nope. It's Barbara the Bat from Daigasso! Band Brothers.

Actually, Duster plays bass, not guitar. Kumatora is technically the electric guitarist of the bunch. ;)

Exactally, And also i'd like to say that barbara the bat was that AT By the looks of it, So it's not flint/Duster (Probably not.) D:
You are correct, sir! (Sad, though, because I really want to know what Duster does as an AT!)

*Raises hand* :lick:

I hope it is, I'd just love to see a better image.

Also sakurai's journal has been proven to be even more realistic to his choices as the game got delayed, Megaman anyone? I'm really starting to think that Ridley Krystal and Geno are everything but confirmed at this rate, And if they are and Duster being an AT Puts everyone else with a lower role down...Only thing that's left is ness *Hopes for "Ness AT Update" Announcement* Then we're sure to get him depending on Mother's representation, But we have 25 characters announced and most of which being starters, So there's not much harm into putting 15 More characters on the field, And with MOTHER earning a second rep mostly and Claus being the only logical choice...

...I think you know where i am pointing to.

Really there's already the krystal VA Leak, The one about geno i heard about (Don't know much on it, Just heard about it.) And the "To small" Thing has been killed once again with olimar + Ridley's popularity and all with literatly no good anti-arguement against him and we all here know that he will be in...

Yep.
I'll have to fight you for control, then. :lick:

I'm right there with you on the Ness AT update, believe me. Or even just an SSE side role would be fine by me. Krystal is probably the only one of the three that you mentioned that I would consider a "shoo-in," but I think that to leave out Geno and Ridley--especially considering how highly requested they are!--would be a true shame, and a sad mistake. (Plus, including Krystal and Ridley only shows that those characters with 4 acknowledgments are good to go, meaning that Claus is definitely a contender.) I didn't hear about any Geno leak, but the Krystal VA leak definitely confirms it.

Fingers crossed, then! :grin:

I wonder if Sakurai has played Mother 3... I would hope he has.

HAL Labs has had a role in Mother from 1 to 3, so if Kirby can have three reps, why shouldn't Mother at least get 2? I personally don't see a reason Ness, Lucas, and another character from Mother couldn't exist. Mother is one of the most popular series in Japan, and it would be in America, if the majority of gamers here actually liked games with story and meaning, but we're more fond of senseless killing. I'm sure that someone could say "Well Mother has never been released in Europe" but I think it's been proven on more than one account, video game producers hate Europe XD

Also - This has nothing to do with Brawl or hints at Claus' inclusion, but it's probably one of the most awesome things I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50GUx5VbTXw
He did one better--he helped DEVELOP MOTHER 3. Crazy, but true! Sakurai loves M3 dearly; and since he has no inhibitions about including his own characters this time around (I'm looking at you, three Kirby reps!), I think it's safe to say that the MOTHER series will no longer be cast aside, hidden in the shadow of other franchises.

(Oh, and I love that video! There's a really sweet tribute to Claus with the Love Theme playing in the background....gets me a little misty-eyed. :()

Top Bottom