• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I think if Claus didn't make it in, it would ruin the roster for me. Claus is WAY too cool to not be included. Claus is the kind of character like Sheik who wasn't really used to his full potential in the game he was in. Sheik didn't fight but had potential to be awesome. We only see small 2D animations of Claus and don't see him fight all that much. Claus is the type of character that Sakurai could make shine.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it would really kill my roster too. I would rather have Claus over anyone else, no matter who. I would choose Claus over even Forte.EXE(Bass.EXE) Not that it would ruin the game entirely for me, just have one less character that I wanted more than anything.

As for him not being used enough in the game, no, he wasn't. Especially considering how important he was in the game. Claus is who made Lucas what he became, from a child very unsure of himself to a stronger and braver young man. The knowledge that his father almost never slept or ate, constantly looking for his brother, really seems to get to Claus, like he has a duty to be a good enough son to make up for the losses in their family. Claus is probably the first video game character that I've ever asked myself "why did he have to die?" and really made such a transition in that last battle, from being the souless robot boy, to killing himself to spare his brother the agony of knowing that he killed him.

Really, he's one of the best thought out characters ever, and in one of the best thought out series ever as well. I strongly believe that if the inclusion of characters has any reflection on their popularity in Japan, Claus would have to be one of the top characters to consider for inclusion.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Here's to hoping that such a case becomes a reality. :grin:
*Totally agrees*

I think if Claus didn't make it in, it would ruin the roster for me. Claus is WAY too cool to not be included. Claus is the kind of character like Sheik who wasn't really used to his full potential in the game he was in. Sheik didn't fight but had potential to be awesome. We only see small 2D animations of Claus and don't see him fight all that much. Claus is the type of character that Sakurai could make shine.
I really have to agree, Sakurai is quite good at making characters like meta and diddy have a good spotlight so why not something to the mother fans? I'd hate to see a smash 64 vet getting ruined just to add someone who's just the same with the exact same moves, so yeah, I can't wait to see what the staff does on how he looks like.

Yeah, it would really kill my roster too. I would rather have Claus over anyone else, no matter who. I would choose Claus over even Forte.EXE(Bass.EXE) Not that it would ruin the game entirely for me, just have one less character that I wanted more than anything.

As for him not being used enough in the game, no, he wasn't. Especially considering how important he was in the game. Claus is who made Lucas what he became, from a child very unsure of himself to a stronger and braver young man. The knowledge that his father almost never slept or ate, constantly looking for his brother, really seems to get to Claus, like he has a duty to be a good enough son to make up for the losses in their family. Claus is probably the first video game character that I've ever asked myself "why did he have to die?" and really made such a transition in that last battle, from being the souless robot boy, to killing himself to spare his brother the agony of knowing that he killed him.

Really, he's one of the best thought out characters ever, and in one of the best thought out series ever as well. I strongly believe that if the inclusion of characters has any reflection on their popularity in Japan, Claus would have to be one of the top characters to consider for inclusion.
I have to agree with this post also, That reminds me of the story that in one of his entries a guy was saying how
Claus died and how he wished he could come back to fight the last battle, Oh and requesting him for brawl for us right afterwards. :laugh:
He was also saying stuff about how claus would have great potential in brawl, I think the reason why the journal entries might have gotten mixed up is because he's also known as
The Masked Man
lolz.

Or better - Slap a Claus sticker on Masked Man :p Never forget who you are, Claus. "You're not Pokey's robot, You're our son!"
:laugh:, The idea of that just makes me think about playing brawl and having him and geno or someone slap stickers on themselves, On the magical sticker adventure we go! :psycho:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I agree completely! Claus is the one character that will truly make the game for me. If he isn't in, I will be severely disappointed. Will I still buy the game and love it? Sure. But it won't be even half as satisfying and enjoyable as it would have been with Claus. :ohwell: It's up to you now, Sakurai-san!

Again, you hit the nail right on the head. Claus has all the makings of a great character: heartrending story, unique personality, cool design, and the potential for being very stylized and interesting with his attacks and character model. There really is no downside to Claus! In fact, having Claus as a playable foil to Lucas would be the best thing to happen to Smash ever, in my opinion. You really encapsulate the whole theme of the game by including Claus, and I think that Claus alone would inspire a lot of people to join the movement for a localized MOTHER 3.

I would hate to see my roster crushed because Claus is not a part of it. I'm crossing my fingers that it works out--I suggest you all do the same!

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
You really encapsulate the whole theme of the game by including Claus, and I think that Claus alone would inspire a lot of people to join the movement for a localized MOTHER 3.
As if there's not already a huge movement for Mother 3's localization. A little bit of comforting news that you all may not know - Reggie showed interest in Mother when asked once about Mother 3's localization, saying that he wants to play them to understand them more and see what the fan reaction is all about. Were it up to me, We would already be enjoying one of the best games on the GBA.

As for Mother music... hmm...

"Theme of Love" (Mother 3)
"Pokey, Armed and Dangerous" (Mother 2)
"Mr. Great's Theme" (Mother 3)
"DCMC's Theme" (Mother 3)
"Absolute Terror!" (Mother 2)
"Magicant" (Mother)
"Pollyana" (Mother 1, 2, and 3)
"World of Mother" (Mother 1 and 3)

Those are some of the best tracks in the entire series. Winters has been confirmed, I like that one, so good :p Hopefully they'll include some version of Pokey's theme from Mother 3, (No, not the one that's already been confirmed, his battle theme) especially the one from the fight with the Pokey robots.

T-major

Smash Champion
Anyone mind telling me what I've missed?
well, for one, Stryks is making a comic about the clubs of SWF, and the MMPMA is going to be in. the biggest members of the clubs are depicted as what there avatar is, mixed with the character the club is about. unless stated otherwise. so, it would go like this...

Vesperview: Mr. Saturn with Claus helmet
Ouendanation: Phoenix Wright with Claus' wings, colour scheme, sword, and cannon.
thethirdkoopa: Falco wearing Claus' outfit, and his sword
T-major: Jazz Man with a pink bandanna tied around my arm that has the pig mask emblem on it (pig snout). I use PSI, and my mouth is reconstructed so I can play saxophone without having to practice :D
KumaOso: Pikachu with a pigmask/Claus helmet?

other then that, it's mainly just been standard discussion... we found out that Claus has a sticker of his Child sprite in brawl; then we found out that stickers mean nothing as far as deconfirmations go, because Krystal has one too; and we can pretty much bet that Krystal will be in brawl...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
well, for one, Stryks is making a comic about the clubs of SWF, and the MMPMA is going to be in. the biggest members of the clubs are depicted as what there avatar is, mixed with the character the club is about. unless stated otherwise. so, it would go like this...

Ouendanation: Phoenix Wright with Claus' wings, colour scheme, sword, and cannon.
T-major: Jazz Man with a pink bandanna tied around my arm that has the pig mask emblem on it (pig snout). I use PSI, and my mouth is reconstructed so I can play saxophone without having to practice :D

other then that, it's mainly just been standard discussion... we found out that Claus has a sticker of his Child sprite in brawl; then we found out that stickers mean nothing as far as deconfirmations go, because Krystal has one too; and we can pretty much bet that Krystal will be in brawl...
All right, looks like I haven't missed much other than Vesperview being banned. What did he do to get banned or do you not want to talk about it?

I'd like to see me as a Pikachu with a helmet.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Meta Sonic is such a prophet!!!11oneone0 So totally awsum!

Yeah. :p

Personally, I could care less how he gets in. I wouldn't even care if all of a sudden it says "What's this?! Lucas is evolving!" Just as long as Brawl has Claus, the most awesome character ever, I could care less how he gets in.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Not strictly Claus, but what Mother music do you think should be in Brawl?
Before I get into the wonderfulness that is the MOTHER 3 soundtrack, Brawl needs Onett from EB. The original town theme is so darn catchy! It would be a great remix, I'm sure. They did it at one of the Orchestral Game Concerts and it turned out all right.

NOW, for the piece de resistance: MOTHER 3 MUSIC! All bolded tracks are ones that HAVE to make it in.

From MOTHER 3i
* Welcome to MOTHER 3 World (Naming Characters)
* Tatsumairi
* Twist and Battle (Mr. Batty's Twist)
* Theme of DUSTER
* Funky Monkey Dance (Monkey Delivery Service)
* Memory of Tatsumairi
* With Magypsy (first piece)
* Do Not Disturb (especially the last piece)
* Theme of Bad Boy
* From Utopia (New Pork City)

Mr. Batty's Twist would be amazing; it shares the same thematic material as Theme of Bad Boy, though, and if forced to choose, I would undoubtedly have to take the latter. Duster's Theme would be PERFECT for Brawl as the new "Pollyanna"--highly melodic, but still suitable for a good brawl or two. Monkey Delivery Service has one of my favorite melodies of all time, and the counterpoint throughout is nothing short of genius.

From MOTHER 3+
* We Miss You ~Theme of Love~
* D.C.M.C.'s Theme
* Samba de Cambo
* Mr. Great's Theme
* Snowman

Now, I know what you're saying: "OMG Love Theme is wayyyy too slowwww LOLZ!" Hear me out, though. It's unquestionably the main musical piece of the whole score, so it would really be a shame to leave it out. Just imagine what a great remix it would make! Snowman is thankfully already in, so I'm pretty pumped for that. D.C.M.C.'s Theme would be cool, but I would much rather that--of the versions of this musical material--Duster's Theme be used instead. Samba de Cambo is catchy and fun...good enough for me! And Mr. Great's Theme is just a fun remix of Porky's Theme (which is already in). I can live without it.

All right, looks like I haven't missed much other than Vesperview being banned. What did he do to get banned or do you not want to talk about it?

Not sure what he did to get banned in the first place, but he made another account to get around the ban; that account was subsequently banned, so I'm thinking that his new ban is going to be permanent.

Personally, I couldn't care less how he gets in. I wouldn't even care if all of a sudden it says "What's this?! Lucas is evolving!" Just as long as Brawl has Claus, the most awesome character ever, I couldn't care less how he gets in.
Corrected grammar. ;) Really, though, I agree! I don't care how Claus gets in as a playable character, just so long as he actually is a playable character.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I love Theme of Love. It's used probably in five different songs, just redone each time. I forgot to include in my music list whatever the name of the song is that plays when you fight the Natural Killer Cyborg. I just call it "Natural Killer Cyborg" no idea if that's right though :p

If anyone's never heard it, here it is. You'll agree with me that it's awesome.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I agree completely! Claus is the one character that will truly make the game for me. If he isn't in, I will be severely disappointed. Will I still buy the game and love it? Sure. But it won't be even half as satisfying and enjoyable as it would have been with Claus. :ohwell: It's up to you now, Sakurai-san!

Again, you hit the nail right on the head. Claus has all the makings of a great character: heartrending story, unique personality, cool design, and the potential for being very stylized and interesting with his attacks and character model. There really is no downside to Claus! In fact, having Claus as a playable foil to Lucas would be the best thing to happen to Smash ever, in my opinion. You really encapsulate the whole theme of the game by including Claus, and I think that Claus alone would inspire a lot of people to join the movement for a localized MOTHER 3.

I would hate to see my roster crushed because Claus is not a part of it. I'm crossing my fingers that it works out--I suggest you all do the same!
Yeah, Claus will really hit a lot to the game in all honesty, He's a character like to krystal to starfox, Most characters in the series are more of copies/Less original except for those two and that's what stands out, Let's just hope through the best on the final stretch

Not strictly Claus, but what Mother music do you think should be in Brawl?
Any possible, Seriously all the final boss music.

Omg, I still can't wait to see how we all look like, And this sticker stuff is really getting old, We all know it's only the commercial also so it means less then the DOJO.

BUT DATS NOT CANON!!!1!1!

lowercase!!!
no wai!!1111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

UPPERCASE!!!!

He's banned so T-Jamer, Oudeanation, Aries, You i guess as well, And i are hosting the thread, :p

He will be playable after you beat him
Yes.

Personally, I could care less how he gets in. I wouldn't even care if all of a sudden it says "What's this?! Lucas is evolving!" Just as long as Brawl has Claus, the most awesome character ever, I could care less how he gets in.
NO WAI DEWD HE HS INSIDE SOURCES, MAI INSIDE SOURCSE SED DAT MARIO WAS CUT CUZ HE WAS A CLONE OF DR.MARIO. Inorite?

And yes, Claus should definantly be playable.

HE TOUCHED ME INAPPROPRIATELY!! D:
lolwut.

Before I get into the wonderfulness that is the MOTHER 3 soundtrack, Brawl needs Onett from EB. The original town theme is so darn catchy! It would be a great remix, I'm sure. They did it at one of the Orchestral Game Concerts and it turned out all right.

NOW, for the piece de resistance: MOTHER 3 MUSIC! All bolded tracks are ones that HAVE to make it in.

From MOTHER 3i
* Welcome to MOTHER 3 World (Naming Characters)
* Tatsumairi
* Twist and Battle (Mr. Batty's Twist)
* Theme of DUSTER
* Funky Monkey Dance (Monkey Delivery Service)
* Memory of Tatsumairi
* With Magypsy (first piece)
* Do Not Disturb (especially the last piece)
* Theme of Bad Boy
* From Utopia (New Pork City)

Mr. Batty's Twist would be amazing; it shares the same thematic material as Theme of Bad Boy, though, and if forced to choose, I would undoubtedly have to take the latter. Duster's Theme would be PERFECT for Brawl as the new "Pollyanna"--highly melodic, but still suitable for a good brawl or two. Monkey Delivery Service has one of my favorite melodies of all time, and the counterpoint throughout is nothing short of genius.

From MOTHER 3+
* We Miss You ~Theme of Love~
* D.C.M.C.'s Theme
* Samba de Cambo
* Mr. Great's Theme
* Snowman

Now, I know what you're saying: "OMG Love Theme is wayyyy too slowwww LOLZ!" Hear me out, though. It's unquestionably the main musical piece of the whole score, so it would really be a shame to leave it out. Just imagine what a great remix it would make! Snowman is thankfully already in, so I'm pretty pumped for that. D.C.M.C.'s Theme would be cool, but I would much rather that--of the versions of this musical material--Duster's Theme be used instead. Samba de Cambo is catchy and fun...good enough for me! And Mr. Great's Theme is just a fun remix of Porky's Theme (which is already in). I can live without it.

Not sure what he did to get banned in the first place, but he made another account to get around the ban; that account was subsequently banned, so I'm thinking that his new ban is going to be permanent.

Corrected grammar. ;) Really, though, I agree! I don't care how Claus gets in as a playable character, just so long as he actually is a playable character.
We definantly need all those songs, I wonder how he got banned, This sucks.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Vesper (the guy who started this thread)

And his images got pwn't on the front page, so there's some controversy.

How did he get banned? Was it a perma ban?
Anyways, I always doubted the info on him playing or even buying MOTHER 3.
As it seems every Claus/Lucas supporter never did. As I have a valid reason why I support the MOTHER chars, as I own every version myself.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I love Theme of Love. It's used probably in five different songs, just redone each time. I forgot to include in my music list whatever the name of the song is that plays when you fight the Natural Killer Cyborg. I just call it "Natural Killer Cyborg" no idea if that's right though :p

If anyone's never heard it, here it is. You'll agree with me that it's awesome.
Funnily enough, I don't think Claus's own battle music is really epic enough for him...or at least not melodic enough for me to enjoy. ;) That's why I think that "Theme of Bad Boy" suits him better! But "Natural Killer Cyborg" is another good music candidate overall.

How did he get banned? Was it a perma ban?
Anyways, I always doubted the info on him playing or even buying MOTHER 3.
As it seems every Claus/Lucas supporter never did. As I have a valid reason why I support the MOTHER chars, as I own every version myself.
Originally, his ban was a (6 points), but I'm pretty sure that it is currently just a plain old "Banned." I dunno what he did at first, but I know that he made another account to get around the ban; that account was subsequently banned as well, so I don't think he'll be back--but I can't be sure! We might never know. :confused:

I'm on Chapter 7 right now. I was instantly drawn to Claus when I first saw him on that Japanese prediction site--he was so cool! :grin: I knew that I had to play the game as soon as possible. Thankfully, I was able to..."acquire" it not long after, and I have been a devout Claus supporter ever since I was first introduced to the wonderful Masked Man.

Long live Claus! Claus for Brawl! :bigthumbu

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
I doubt it will, even if it gets popular over here.
Besides, Nintendo has made it clear they have no current plans on translating MOTHER 3. (Hope never dies tho')
Please don't wait, go get it NOW!

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
that would be hella cool! somebody should photoshop that... WarMachine! your good at stuff like that. could you do it please?
Sure thing, I don't have a ton of time though so it'll have to just be something quick.

Edit:
Here ya go:

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
As I have a valid reason why I support the MOTHER chars, as I own every version myself.
I have Mother 2 and I just went ahead and got a ROM for Mother 3. I played through it entirely with a script translation on gamefaqs and Mother3.org's menu patch. There's something about Mother I just love... it has such a nice story to it, and the characters are all so deep, especially in 3. (And just when I thought all those character analysis skills they taught us in English wouldn't help :p) Mother is just something that the typical American audience isn't used to. It's not a classic "kill everything you find" RPG with annoying random battles and stale characters that are just clones of each other with different hair styles. They all have meaning to them. I can't really put my finger on why Mother is such a great series, but it is. And I know that Claus deserves a spot in Brawl just as much or more than Lucas.

I didn't just run by here and jump into the topic with the dude dressed best, I had completed Mother 3 and before I even remembered this place existed, I was already preaching "Masked Man for Brawl" XD Personally, if I were in charge of Brawl, I would have put Claus in first. And people would say "But Lucas is the main character!" and I would say "And that's why he doesn't deserve the attention."

Also - pics

T-major

Smash Champion
I might get M3 Once it comes to america, I'm personally probably going to have to emulate (D:) But meh, And yeh, Ves got banned, At least we have some new thread rulers.
hopefully that fan translation gets finished soon. it'll be epic-sauce once it is! :O

BTW Who likes my sig? A friend made it for me.
nice!

and War, thats one pimped out Pikachu! good work.

Top Bottom