• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
I could see Claus' final smash being that shield killing, party obliterating sweep.

Buuut, considering he moved fast enough to attack twice in one turn, I could also see him getting a super combo... I don't want to rule out PK LOVE though, since it was important in the sense that it
just about mortally wounded his dear old dad.
...Now I wanna make a moveset.

Oh oh, and Oendanation... I added you, but for some reason it still shows you as being grey on my address book. :|
Weird. Sometimes it takes a while, though :/

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Among other things, three small buildings, a slippery UFO and absolutely no good way of fighting if you grab a Giant Mushroom, don't make it a good stage at all.

Magicant is the only one with a remote chance of being a stage, Twoson would be way too similar to Onett, Saturn Valley is also on Mother 3, Giygas's Lair? No! Giant Step is just a cave and so is Lilliput Steps, Summers is just a town with a beach, no chance at all of it being a stage and Threed, again, just a town and fighting in a graveyard wouldn't be good representation for the Mother series at all.
Hmmm Winters would make a good stage, I Think at this point sakurai can change any stage to make it right and suiting (Delfino says hi.) But we want stages with good development.

Saturn valley would be a stage i'd love to see in, It could rep M2/3.

Oh and fourside freaking rocked, I'm awsome on that stage...My best i think i'd have to say is rainbow ride (You know, Besides ones like FD.) I'm so happy that Rainbow Ride came back ^_^.

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Like Vesper said, Threed isn't a good MOTHER stage.
Here's a question to every Ness, Lucas and Claus fan, have you ever Played MOTHER 2 & 3?

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
Here's a question to every Ness, Lucas and Claus fan, have you ever Played MOTHER 2 & 3?
I've played all three. I think anyone that is anti-lucas seriously hasn't played MOTHER 3. Same goes for anyone who is anti Claus. IMO, the Gameplay/Storyline is the best in MOTHER 3. The most deep and heart rendering one anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've played all three. I think anyone that is anti-lucas seriously hasn't played MOTHER 3. Same goes for anyone who is anti Claus. IMO, the Gameplay/Storyline is the best in MOTHER 3. The most deep and heart rendering one anyway.
Personally, I think most of the Anti-Mother ANYTHING hasn't played a Mother game...

A bunch of the Ness fans haven't either

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how they could represent the non-New Pork City parts of Nowhere Island... Maybe Osohe Castle? As far as a new Earthbound Map... What about Belch's Factory?

Oh and I went and made a moveset...

I picture Claus having an over-imposing and rock solid air about him... The kind to stand still and just bear down on you... Being childishly "cool" at the same time, considering his leader. I picture him having a hectic mix of really slow and really quick hits. With that in mind... My version of Claus' moveset:

Neutral Ground
A- Claus gives a short headbutt.
AA- Following up the headbutt, he does a quick flip-kick.
AAA- After landing, he thumps out a quick wave of PSI.
AHold- A continuous, but weaker version of the third hit.

Tilts
Ftilt- A "door breaker" S.W.A.T. style kick.
Dtilt- Claus whips up a wide and low swirl of PSI.
Utilt- A shrugging swipe of his gun-arm.
Dash- Claus hops forward and surrounds himself with swirling PSI that trails behind him a bit.

Smashes

Fsmash- Using his gun-arm, Claus delivers a tough backfist.
Dsmash- Claus fires a small blast at the feet of the enemy. If done as an edgeguard, can travel off the edge of the stage.
Usmash- Claus preps his gun-arm for a moment, then extends his arm and fires a short range beam over his head.

Throws
Grab- Claus jabs foward and up with his sword, attempting to skewer the enemy.
Hit- A wound up punch with his gun-arm.
Fthrow- Letting the enemy slide forward into the barrel of his gun-arm, Claus fires a blast straight into them, sending them back.
Uthrow- Raising his blade, Claus sends electricity through his blade in a Pikachu Down+B-esque effect, sending the enemy up.
Bthrow- Claus spins in place, sending the enemy off the end of his blade, following up with a quick beaming.
Dthrow- Claus stomps the enemy to the ground, sending them skidding with a quick burst from his gun-arm.

Aerials

Nair- Claus sends a quick spiral of PSI all about him.
Fair- A forward slash with his sword that carries down a ways.
Bair- Claus flicks out his mechanical wings in a quick, slashing motion.
Uair- An upwards spike, Claus pulls his arms above him, then back down, delivering an upwards kick. Has lag similar to Ness' Dair.
Dair- Claus points his barrel downwards, letting out a short range beam from his gun-arm.

Specials
B: Psycho Counter- Claus quickly raises an octagonal shield in front of him, immediately countering a non-energy projectile with a dead-eye laser blast.
UpB: Quick Up- Claus hangs in the air briefly, then zigzags upwards as if wall jumping.
DownB: Crashing Boom Bang Attack- Claus whips out his sword in a three-part movement, delivering a strike of lightning a short distance in front of him. Breaks through shields in one go if it sweet-spots.
OverB: Blind Rush- Claus' wings unfurl and rocket him forward. If he connects with an enemy, he executes two random attacks that are either a sword swipe, or a blast from his gun-arm.
Final Smash: Completely Berserk- Claus' fury reaches a boiling point temporarily, increasing his speed and general attack effectiveness, and changing his FSmash to a quick series of strikes. He can't use B moves or glide during his Final Smash.

Other
Claus can glide after his second jump.

Entrance

Claus flies in with his wings, spiraling as he lands.

Taunts
1- Claus flexes his chest a little bit, electricity crackling over him.
2- Claus stretches his wings and twirls into the air a bit, sorta like Gannondorf.
3- He takes off his helmet for a moment, allowing wind to sweep through his hair, before resettling it.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
I beat 2 and 3 COUNTLESS times, and I'm trying to beat 1. And it is a good MOTHER stage, if you actually think about it. I know it's not the stage that best represents MOTHER (Can you say Mt Itoi? :laugh:), but it would be cool. The boogey tent face could occasionally pop up REALLY suddenly and let out a sharp scream meant to scare enemies! And tons of zombies could be stuck to zombie paper in the background :laugh:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I wonder how they could represent the non-New Pork City parts of Nowhere Island... Maybe Osohe Castle? As far as a new Earthbound Map... What about Belch's Factory?
Two ideas.

1.Osohe castle (Or the elevator i heard about.)
2.Saturn valley.

I'd like either :p, As for a new earthbound map, Saturn Valley fits em both so...And i like the idea of winters.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman

Oh and I went and made a moveset...

I picture Claus having an over-imposing and rock solid air about him... The kind to stand still and just bear down on you... Being childishly "cool" at the same time, considering his leader. I picture him having a hectic mix of really slow and really quick hits. With that in mind... My version of Claus' moveset:

Neutral Ground
A- Claus gives a short headbutt.
AA- Following up the headbutt, he does a quick flip-kick.
AAA- After landing, he thumps out a quick wave of PSI.
AHold- A continuous, but weaker version of the third hit.

Tilts
Ftilt- A "door breaker" S.W.A.T. style kick.
Dtilt- Claus whips up a wide and low swirl of PSI.
Utilt- A shrugging swipe of his gun-arm.
Dash- Claus hops forward and surrounds himself with swirling PSI that trails behind him a bit.

Smashes

Fsmash- Using his gun-arm, Claus delivers a tough backfist.
Dsmash- Claus fires a small blast at the feet of the enemy. If done as an edgeguard, can travel off the edge of the stage.
Usmash- Claus preps his gun-arm for a moment, then extends his arm and fires a short range beam over his head.

Throws
Grab- Claus jabs foward and up with his sword, attempting to skewer the enemy.
Hit- A wound up punch with his gun-arm.
Fthrow- Letting the enemy slide forward into the barrel of his gun-arm, Claus fires a blast straight into them, sending them back.
Uthrow- Raising his blade, Claus sends electricity through his blade in a Pikachu Down+B-esque effect, sending the enemy up.
Bthrow- Claus spins in place, sending the enemy off the end of his blade, following up with a quick beaming.
Dthrow- Claus stomps the enemy to the ground, sending them skidding with a quick burst from his gun-arm.

Aerials

Nair- Claus sends a quick spiral of PSI all about him.
Fair- A forward slash with his sword that carries down a ways.
Bair- Claus flicks out his mechanical wings in a quick, slashing motion.
Uair- An upwards spike, Claus pulls his arms above him, then back down, delivering an upwards kick. Has lag similar to Ness' Dair.
Dair- Claus points his barrel downwards, letting out a short range beam from his gun-arm.

Specials
B: Psycho Counter- Claus quickly raises an octagonal shield in front of him, immediately countering a non-energy projectile with a dead-eye laser blast.
UpB: Quick Up- Claus hangs in the air briefly, then zigzags upwards as if wall jumping.
DownB: Crashing Boom Bang Attack- Claus whips out his sword in a three-part movement, delivering a strike of lightning a short distance in front of him. Breaks through shields in one go if it sweet-spots.
OverB: Blind Rush- Claus' wings unfurl and rocket him forward. If he connects with an enemy, he executes two random attacks that are either a sword swipe, or a blast from his gun-arm.
Final Smash: Completely Berserk- Claus' fury reaches a boiling point temporarily, increasing his speed and general attack effectiveness, and changing his FSmash to a quick series of strikes. He can't use B moves or glide during his Final Smash.

Other
Claus can glide after his second jump.

Entrance

Claus flies in with his wings, spiraling as he lands.

Taunts
1- Claus flexes his chest a little bit, electricity crackling over him.
2- Claus stretches his wings and twirls into the air a bit, sorta like Gannondorf.
3- He takes off his helmet for a moment, allowing wind to sweep through his hair, before resettling it.
Very nice moveset. The only complaint is the FS. He should still use his B moves, but no gliding is reasonable. Again nice moveset. ^^

BTW I played Mother 2. I actually still have the game guide.

T-major

Smash Champion
CRAP NUTS!! I drew a SUPER excellent pitcure of what thethirdkoopa would look like in Stryks comic (Falco in Claus' outfit)... but I recently got a new printer, and guess what?! thats right, THE THING WONT SCAN! I'm going to reinstall everything and see if that works, because I was hoping to show everyone...

also, super fine moveset Asbestos! very original, but still fitting of Claus. I still need to make one; I said I would a about a week ago, but I never got around to it... meh, I do it later...

:EDIT:

I've only played a SHORT amount of MOTHER2 (only got to that Sharks leader at the beginning), and I'm at the Boss of the Lightning Tower in MOTHER3... I should really play more of Earthbound. because it's in English...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
CRAP NUTS!! I drew a SUPER excellent pitcure of what thethirdkoopa would look like in Stryks comic (Falco in Claus' outfit)... but I recently got a new printer, and guess what?! thats right, THE THING WONT SCAN! I'm going to reinstall everything and see if that works, because I was hoping to show everyone...

also, super fine moveset Asbestos! very original, but still fitting of Claus. I still need to make one; I said I would a about a week ago, but I never got around to it... meh, I do it later...
...But RDK is already Falco...

that would be weird

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
...But RDK is already Falco...

that would be weird
:|
What legion is he from?

AND I DESERVE FALCO MOAR OLOLOLOL

I Think i'll try a moveset myself also for the lol (I Suck at movesets personally.) And hopefully your printer works soon :).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm gonna get shot for this, but does Winters look like in M3?
Yes. :p.

JK.
And i meant for a new earthbound stage (Which is unlikely.)

yeah, well... SO YOUR FACE!! OOOHHHHHH!!!

seriously though, that was a problem I didn't think of before... hopefully it doesn't matter, because Falco looks awesome in Claus' clothes...

:EDIT:

I'll add you too IkexMarth... once I get my printer to work...
I was just thinking about Falco wearing all of claus's clothes with the helmet and having the lightning sword, I Seriously need to draw that sometime, And i can't wait to see it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm a little past where T-major is in EarthBound. I beat Frank, and I'm pretty sure that I last left off at Giant Step. I think I kept dying when I fought the big boss. :ohwell:

As for MOTHER 3, I'm currently on Chapter 7. I'll probably finish it this week. :grin:

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
I'm a little past where T-major is in EarthBound. I beat Frank, and I'm pretty sure that I last left off at Giant Step. I think I kept dying when I fought the big boss. :ohwell:

As for MOTHER 3, I'm currently on Chapter 7. I'll probably finish it this week. :grin:
Make sure you play
Magicant
(Kind of somewhat major EB spoilers) on drugs :grin:

T-major

Smash Champion
Make sure you play
Magicant
(Kind of somewhat major EB spoilers) on drugs :grin:
drugs are bad, because if you do drugs, your a hippy. and hippies suck...

my Moms returning that blasted printer today, but it might not work out because she cant find the receipt. she works at future shop though, so they might give her a break... :/

Macc

Smash Rookie
An interesting idea to suggest Clause as the Masked man. He's pretty much already in anyhow as an alternate costume for Lucas. *kind of like Peach's Daisy coloring* He has alot of positives that bring out something new to a villian in Smash Bros. He seems like a small/medium sized character that could have quick/adverage speed and would have an evil twin relationship with Lucas, *literally!*but he would have a sword... which is troublesome.

I am currious why Pokey isn't very popular on these boards. Pokey was the man behind the Pig mask army and was using Clause to accomplish his plot. Yet again, having Pokey we would have just another Villian who is heavy, but he could technically be medium sized and play at an adverage if not slow speed. Not to mention he could represent Mother 2 and 3 since he was Ness's *dooshbag of a* next door neighbor as well as one of the most important villians in Mother 3. Imagine if they added both Pokey and Clause! Then put a cherry on top of that delicious Mother sunday split and make Giegue *Mother/Earthbound Zero* an alternate costume for Mewtwo!

Extravagant ideas, but it would be cool to be able to play an entire battle of Mother characters for once... If not be able to play a team of two. Who knows, maybe Sakurai will surprise us!

Macc out

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Porky/Pokey, though, is that you would have to try and figure out a means to make his "walker" (which is pretty much his main and only means of attack) into a workable thing. It would probably go over well for a SSE battle, but not so much for the sake of a playable character.

I mean, you got people already trying to downplay Ridley, even though Charizard himself should be enough of an indicator that a large and in charge Dragon can work in a game like this. What more would have to convince people that a style like Porky's can work?

Dragonzero

Smash Cadet
A Good idea would be to make Gyigas a Stage in Brawl.
And Pokey would be there as a Boss.
And About Giegue Being Mewtwo's alternate costume... ...well, it's a good idea, but Giegue can't really stand(when Mewtwo is not moving he actually has his feet on the ground) since he has those thin tentacles.(Starmen can only stand because they have those shoes)
Of course I could be wrong about that.
Now what would rock as an assist trophy would be a Flying man!(Those Bird men Found in Magicant)

Deku Boy

Smash Cadet
I've beaten Earthbound all the way upto Carbon/Diamond Dog, which I couldn't beat for some reason. I've beaten MOTHER 3 entirely. I have MOTHER 1+2, but I'm waiting until I get more familiar with Japanese to try playing through MOTHER 1.

Macc said:
An interesting idea to suggest Clause as the Masked man. He's pretty much already in anyhow as an alternate costume for Lucas. *kind of like Peach's Daisy coloring* He has alot of positives that bring out something new to a villian in Smash Bros. He seems like a small/medium sized character that could have quick/adverage speed and would have an evil twin relationship with Lucas, *literally!*but he would have a sword... which is troublesome.

I am currious why Pokey isn't very popular on these boards. Pokey was the man behind the Pig mask army and was using Clause to accomplish his plot. Yet again, having Pokey we would have just another Villian who is heavy, but he could technically be medium sized and play at an adverage if not slow speed. Not to mention he could represent Mother 2 and 3 since he was Ness's *dooshbag of a* next door neighbor as well as one of the most important villians in Mother 3. Imagine if they added both Pokey and Clause! Then put a cherry on top of that delicious Mother sunday split and make Giegue *Mother/Earthbound Zero* an alternate costume for Mewtwo!

Extravagant ideas, but it would be cool to be able to play an entire battle of Mother characters for once... If not be able to play a team of two. Who knows, maybe Sakurai will surprise us!
Alas, it isn't likely at all that we'll be able to have an all Mother battle. We're still waiting on character number 2 as it is. Even just three is nearly impossible.

As for picking between Pokey and Claus, I think more people support Claus because Claus was a lot more of a personal villain for you than Pokey. Heck, it isn't until the final chapter of MOTHER 3 that Pokey even shows up. The Masked Man is what you see for the whole game as the highest ranking Pigmask. Pokey is rarely even vaguely referenced. Even someone like Ganondorf is at least established as the villain before the second half of the game starts. Pokey isn't totally established as the final villain until you reach New Pork City. In addition, Claus has a lot more connection to the story itself, because it was his death, and his subsequent reconstruction that led to the events of the story. Really, Pokey would have been powerless without Claus, because he would have had no hope of awakening the Dragon to have his wish fulfilled, and Lucas would have had no competition for the Needles.

Secondly, Claus is a much better choice as a playable character. Pokey's Spider-mech dwarfs Lucas. He would be larger than Bowser. Obviously, he could be rescaled, but he isn't really all that interesting of a character to be playable in his MOTHER 3 form. He doesn't move himself, and most of his attacks are totally incomprehensible(Lucas and his party have no idea what Pokey is actually doing to attack them, they just know that he does something). Heavily Armored Pokey from Earthbound would actually be a pretty interesting character, because its significantly smaller and has more sensical attacks. However, unless Ness is in, it doesn't make sense to have Heavily Armored Pokey. Why have a Mother 3 hero and a Mother 2 villain? Claus is the most practical choice for a villainous character from the series.

Pokey's personality also sort of plays a role. Pokey isn't the type to engage in meaningless combat. Pokey is the behind the scenes manipulator. He isn't going to run up and confront you, he's only going to waste his time squashing you if you get past all of his minions. And he's going to endlessly torture and torment you before that by keeping you running around in circles trying to find him. Claus is Pokey's means of directly interacting with the world and fighting his battles in MOTHER 3.

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
I agree with DekuBoy I never played Mother and Lucas is my Favorite character in brawl so far. If Claus is in Lucas will be bumped to second! BTW Lucas and Claus are anagrams!

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
vesperview: isn't the point of this thread to get people interested in Claus? I know it did that for me. Hell it is the first thread I've posted on.

vesperview

Smash Hero
vesperview: isn't the point of this thread to get people interested in Claus? I know it did that for me. Hell it is the first thread I've posted on.
Of course, that's the point, maybe I didn't say it right, I hate fanboys who don't even know the character they are standing up for, like the Ness fanboys who thought he and Ninten were the same character, that sort of thing.

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
True that vesperview. Still I feel that any support is good support and I would love to see Claus in the game!

Top Bottom