• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
The how to play video? Yeah I've seen it but I didn't pay attention to Lucas. Also, I thought you wouldn't be back until Brawl came out? :p
Bleh, well, I just couldn't be bothered to come on whilst this stupid 35 characters rumour was being treated as fact despite no evidence for it.

I can't wait till the release and all this crap can just end. Speculation is fun, but people flaming others for thier opinions is pathetic.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
FINALLY! Smashboards is working for me! it seems your talking about that Ness icon that was hacked into that video. and yes, I did say "hacked", because thats what it is... don't believe me? well, let me explain...

first off, Nintendo isn't stupid. the chances of them accidentally uploading something with that info in it in the first place is extremely low. and even if they DID accidentally upload it, they would have realized it and fixed it a LOT sooner than they did.

second, nobody (including Nintendo) noticed this info until AFTER the Sticker Power-ups were revealed on the Dojo. given the amount of people who probably watch that video at any given time, it's extremely improbable that somebody wouldn't have brought it to everyones attention sooner than it was. it's almost as if those icons weren't even THERE until after that update. and the only reason they wouldn't be there until after the update, is if someone added them in after the fact... now, who would do that?

Nintendo wouldn't, because there isn't a need to; and if they did do that, they would have made sure that it didn't reveal anything big before uploading it. then when they fixed it, they would have just taken out the stuff that they didn't want people to see; not everything. and not give me "the video must have been hidden somewhere on the site, and then replaced itself" because it doesn't work that way. Nintendo wouldn't have had the video hidden on the site to begin with, because it would take up space. if they DID have that "unaltered" version of the video, it would have been stored somewhere in the computers memory; not on the site.

who does that leave? someone, thats who! some random hacker who edited that stuff into the video (very well, I'll admit), then hacked the Wii site, and replaced the current one. Nintendo noticed it, said "OMG!!1 1337 HAX0rz!!1!", and corrected it.

seriously. the only reason people believe this garbage is because they aren't looking deep enough... it really is ridiculous that people take random stuff that means nothing, and turn it into a character or two. but when something that actually warrants looking into come along, they don't do jack ****!! what the hell is up with that!?

and it's depressing that half of Claus' supports have suddenly given up hope on him.
QFT! I still have hope in Claus. He's a much better choice, why would Sakurai disregard this?
Claus for Brawl

1. Wow, so basically, with literally not even one iota of even anything implying that it was hacked, you declare it as fact?

2. That logic fails. Company leave content in web sites constantly. Accidents are not caused by stupidity! And are you saying that a "glitch" occurring in the web site is less likely than a hack? If it was an accident that the video was posted, they would NOT have picked up on it sooner - why would they pick up on an accident immediately, while no one else is able to do so that quickly?

3. The video existed in this form before the edited form. Hell, the text for the exclusive character, in Japanese writing, was not even available! How would someone add the exact right text to the image that Nintendo was using if it had not been seen before?!

4. Okay, so are you now saying that the video could not have made it from the computer's memory to the site? Hm.

5. Wow, so basically, you state your theory as fact with no evidence, then? If it was a hacker, why would Nintendo let this info spread as fact? Yeah, Nintendo's smart enough for a single employee to not accidentally post that video, but no one employee is smart enough to debunk this supposedly false information.

6. Well, let's see - if a character icon appears in that area, it means that they're playable. I know, a stretch to say that an area that shows playable characters would feature playable characters, right?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Give me something to counter, and I'll give you counter proof.
There is nothing you can counter nor is there counter proof. You can't prove that the video wasn't hacked, nor can you prove that it was. It's up in the air.
ROFL, its so funny how things change... anyone who says the vid was hacked is in DENIAL. LOL
And what proof can you provide DB? Oh that's right....none.

The video overall leaves many things unanswered no matter how you view it.

Can you prove that God didn't cause the video to change?

No?

Then I declare that God changed it. Until you can deconfirm it, I am right.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
3. The video existed in this form before the edited form. Hell, the text for the exclusive character, in Japanese writing, was not even available! How would someone add the exact right text to the image that Nintendo was using if it had not been seen before?!
No, the one you refer to the edited form existed before the one from one Sunday.
Go here and look at the date it was uploaded. The date of the leak was five days later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK_VBADRCRk

And what do you mean by the text? Are you talking about the stats on the left? If so, anyone with photoshop and knowledge of Kanji(assuming the supposed hacker isn't Japanese) can do that.

As for people buying into this, assuming it's a fake, they're buying it because people are getting their Ness fix. If it's just Ness and Lucas, I want to know why exactly Claus, at least, wasn't put in. Although, the fact that Lucas' profile mentions that Lucas and Ness are from the same PSI family and the Claus sticker mentioned PSI with some Kanji, it's possible that Claus and Kumatora(no matter how unlikely she is, I say she still has a chance) could be in different families so the sticker might not apply to them.

T-major

Smash Champion
1. Wow, so basically, with literally not even one iota of even anything implying that it was hacked, you declare it as fact?
your doing the exact same thing, buddy... only difference is that I have logical conclusions to back up my claims.

Company leave content in web sites constantly
you can't leave something on a site that isn't there to begin with...

And are you saying that a "glitch" occurring in the web site is less likely than a hack?
in this case, yes.

why would they pick up on an accident immediately, while no one else is able to do so that quickly?
um... because they RUN THE SITE!? seriously! they hire people for the SOLE PURPOSE of maintaining the site. they would have noticed it, seeing as they most likely cheak it daily to make sure everything is working.

The video existed in this form before the edited form.
not on the site it didn't. despite whatever brain injury makes you think otherwise, they DID NOT have the unedited version of the video on the site, in any way, hidden or not.

How would someone add the exact right text to the image that Nintendo was using if it had not been seen before?!
and how exactly, do you know that its the exact same text that Nintendo is using?

Okay, so are you now saying that the video could not have made it from the computer's memory to the site? Hm.
yes, that exactly what I'm saying. you don't see images that are saved on my computer get posted at random when I make a post, do you? Nintendo's HQ isn't some magical fairy land where computers upload stuff to websites of their own free will...

seriously. give me me a logical reason that show the site wasn't hacked. go on. I dare you. because all you've been doing at this point is twisting peoples words around, and regarding your fairy tale conclusions as fact. well guess what? I don't believe you, and your a douche! :D now get the hell out of my thread.

It's always funny to see the above poster, who is obviously Sakurai (since he doesn't say "I believe this is right", he says "this is right" - not based on anything, so he's Sakurai, right?).

Well, here's a logical reason - "hey, give me literally one thing that even shows it was hacked".

I'm sorry that you are an incompetent ****** who thinks that his imagination leaks into reality, but that's not my problem. There is no hack. Now go drool in some other thread.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
FINALLY! Smashboards is working for me! it seems your talking about that Ness icon that was hacked into that video. and yes, I did say "hacked", because thats what it is... don't believe me? well, let me explain...
*sigh* Guys, this isn't the way to approach this.

first off, Nintendo isn't stupid. the chances of them accidentally uploading something with that info in it in the first place is extremely low. and even if they DID accidentally upload it, they would have realized it and fixed it a LOT sooner than they did.
OK, Nintendo doesn't have a brain. Nintendo is a company. Nintendo has employees. And yes, chances are that with the number of stupid people in the planet, Nintendo has some stupid employees. But that's beside the point. This was an accident and it has nothing to do with intelligence. There could have been edited footage that wasn't uploaded by mistake. Perhaps they didn't even notice!

second, nobody (including Nintendo) noticed this info until AFTER the Sticker Power-ups were revealed on the Dojo. given the amount of people who probably watch that video at any given time, it's extremely improbable that somebody wouldn't have brought it to everyones attention sooner than it was. it's almost as if those icons weren't even THERE until after that update. and the only reason they wouldn't be there until after the update, is if someone added them in after the fact... now, who would do that?
I thought they added that footage after the sticker update... hmm... anyways, the point is, there were only 2 points in time this could've of been found, before or after the update. Besides that, it's even possible people had seen it and not known what it meant, since you had to pause at an exact moment, then hit play to see a glimpse of the faces.

Nintendo wouldn't, because there isn't a need to; and if they did do that, they would have made sure that it didn't reveal anything big before uploading it. then when they fixed it, they would have just taken out the stuff that they didn't want people to see; not everything. and not give me "the video must have been hidden somewhere on the site, and then replaced itself" because it doesn't work that way. Nintendo wouldn't have had the video hidden on the site to begin with, because it would take up space. if they DID have that "unaltered" version of the video, it would have been stored somewhere in the computers memory; not on the site.
See, Nintendo didn't upload the video. A Nintendo employee did. Employees can be careless. Who knows, he could've of been fired, or commited hara-kiri. (that's a joke, for those who get it)

who does that leave? someone, thats who! some random hacker who edited that stuff into the video (very well, I'll admit), then hacked the Wii site, and replaced the current one. Nintendo noticed it, said "OMG!!1 1337 HAX0rz!!1!", and corrected it.
Who does that leave?? Good grief, you might as well believe the Nintendo building has arms and legs and a brain of it's own. Who noticed it, or was notified? Another Nintendo EMPLOYEE, likely a superior to the guy that uploaded the video. (Seriously, uploading videos and managing a website is not exactly the highest position" the superior said "OMG, that careless employee!!" and gotten someone to correct it.

seriously. the only reason people believe this garbage is because they aren't looking deep enough... it really is ridiculous that people take random stuff that means nothing, and turn it into a character or two. but when something that actually warrants looking into come along, they don't do jack ****!! what the hell is up with that!?
Read this and your crazy theory.

and it's depressing that half of Claus' supports have suddenly given up hope on him.
I HAVEN'T. I was very sad to see his chances drop, but I'm not giving up.

In fact, let's spin this thread around:

Why does Mother deserve 3 representatives?

1. Longtime series, though unfrequently updated, was a staple in Japan on the early Nintendo gens. Complications arose that prevented Mother from continuing onto the 64, but it has done so finally, with Mother 3.

2. Popularity. You might say, why does Mother deserve 3 reps while F-Zero got Goroh AT'd? Because F-Zero games sales have dwindled significantly in recent years. They're still great, great games, but they weren't spectacular sellers here nor there. At least Mother 3 was a hit there.

3. Completeness. With Lucas, Claus and Ness, Mother has ALL it needs, and it doesn't need more reps. Not even in the next Smash, unless Mother 4 sees release. Seriously, with Sakurai giving his all, why leave a series so close to completion, when he won't have the chance to complete it for anoter 5+ years?

Keep 'em coming guys!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hack or no hack, Ness and Lucas better not be the only MOTHER characters. Four characters (1/2 being clones) would be nice.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't expect 4, that's pushing it. 3 at tops. I doubt they'd get the same rep amount as series such as Zelda and etc.
We don't know for sure. There might be a good number of characters for each series.

This is unrelated, but, to me, Ness and Lucas is like Dr. Mario and Mario to me.

T-major

Smash Champion
since he doesn't say "I believe this is right", he says "this is right" - not based on anything
um... thats exactly what your doing too...

anyways, I don't want to talk about this anymore. it just puts me in a bad mood, and I don't like it. neither of us can prove the other wrong, and theres no way to change either of are minds. it's a pointless argument thats going nowhere. so please. truce?

ANYWAYS! even if Ness is in, for all we know, it could just be for SSE. he doesn't have enough moves of his own to be an original character, and it makes no sense that they would give his moves to Lucas if they planed on keeping Ness. so even if he is Playable in Multiplayer, he would be a clone/Luigification. all signs point to Claus being in the game regardless, so as long as he is, who cares if Ness is in too?

also, with Porky practically confirmed as a boss at this point, why would Claus be left out? Porky is nothing without Claus, so it only makes sense that they both be in, or neither of them are.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
It would probably be better if we all just took Rule 14 of the Internet into account.

"Don't argue with a troll. It just means they win"

But for now, I'm going to take Regiwi's approach to this matter. I'm going to stay away from here until Brawl's out. Then we can stop arguing over rumors. It was nice to be a part of all of this, and I would keep it up if all the Claus haters/Ness supporters weren't trying to ruin the thread now. I've been shirking a lot of my duties lately spending too much time debating over this anyway.

Here's one last cheer from me to Claus in Brawl. Bye for now.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
That "Interview with a programmer" thing doesn't make sense. For one, why would they have to go over five or six drafts for a moveset for K. ROOL of all people?! So plenty of random fans on the internet can come up with a good moveset, but not the freakin' PROGRAMMERS?! And if there was so much trouble with Claus' wings and taunt, then why not just change the taunt and get rid of his wings? It's not like he NEEDS his wings anyway. And a Custom Character mode even being considered? That ruins the whole POINT of SSBB. And wouldn't a programmer be fired for releasing that sort of information before the release date FOR A MAGAZINE? I remember that Serebii almost got into a LOT of trouble for releasing similar information on the English Pokemon names, so why would a programmer for Brawl get off easy? Nah, nah, I call BS on that one.

And it does seem awfully suspicious that the Ness thing wasn't noticed at all until five days after the video was released AND was immediately removed after people caught on. Sakurai himself said on the Dojo that he wasn't too hung up about spoiling new characters, so why would Nintendo be in such a rush to remove it?

Great how this stuff just happened to pop up right when I started to like the idea of Ness getting replaced by Lucas and Claus....Oh, well, I still have hope. Besides, three Mother reps is still a possibility if this is true, seeing its huge fanbase and collosal Japanese support.
Concerning the theory/Rumour/Leak or whatever you want to call it about removing Claus due to his wings were bugged. I doubt that they'd go and remove him just because of that, I think they'd keep working on him. Besides there would be another solution i know they would take, which is reuse a metaknight or someone else with wings' script and work from that to make him able to do so. I don't think they would just dump the character just because of a minor problem.

They could also remove the wings for that, pretend their 'hidden' or something of the sort. I also call Bull on this: Simply put, this guy would get in a load of **** if he released that information and post it all across the web, some people have no idea how fast information travels ;P

As for the Ness thing. Although I do support Ness being in, because no clones, they'd have to revamp his entire move set. But i can't see Ness in it. Lucas took his move set and replaced Pulse with Ice. What else is there? Pk paralyze :laugh: No it's impossible in my opinion. Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I don't believe that video, why? Because alot of people ripped the video off the site and put it up on youtube before this was announced, i looked through them and saw that it was blank, while there were about 2 or 3 videos where as the icons did appear. Not only this but some of the stickers we saw still had a blank area, quite odd. Still some people say they did see this for real etc... But that still, we can't confirm this unless Sakurai himself says so/ Dojo or some sort of REALLY reliable source says so.

Claus still has a chance, but still slim. Although I can't see why as, look here even, there is ALOT of pages on this one topic! Not only that but the previous Claus thread overloaded!
For now, we can only say: I hope Claus is a playable. Nothing else.
That is all i had to say.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
We don't know for sure. There might be a good number of characters for each series.

This is unrelated, but, to me, Ness and Lucas is like Dr. Mario and Mario to me.
Too me, Ness should be replaced or out, just like Dr. Mario. It's honestly a waste of a space that needs to go to someone who can offer a lot more difference.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Too me, Ness should be replaced or out, just like Dr. Mario. It's honestly a waste of a space that needs to go to someone who can offer a lot more difference.
Yes. As for my Dr. Mario-Mario, comparison, it isn't that good since those two are the same person. A better example would be OOT Link and TP Link, which is what happened from Melee to Brawl.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Ness is what brought Mother to Super smash bros. i don't understand it either.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Why are you all so anti ness? :(
Because, at this point, being anti-Ness is basically a prerequisite for being Pro-Claus. I, too, doubt we're getting both (though I've never been much of a Mother fan regardless, so whatever).

Claus for Lucas alt, I say.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Because, at this point, being anti-Ness is basically a prerequisite for being Pro-Claus. I, too, doubt we're getting both (though I've never been much of a Mother fan regardless, so whatever).

Claus for Lucas alt, I say.
We didn't mean Claus Claus, we mean't The form Claus takes throughout the rest of the game after a certain point in the game.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Cuz this is possibly the only place where they aren't being shunned for being so very wrong when they insulted pro-Ness folks. To get it out of the way: Hey guys. Remember when you told us "You're in denial."? Well... Look who's grasping at straws now.

Anyway.
1) Claus' chances aren't hurt at all.
.....a) The Smash team obviously takes fanbases into account, and looking at Japanese MOTHER sites... Yeah, Claus is a fanbase king.
.....b) The ol' "Sticker video can't deconfirm anybody" argument.
.....c) Claus getting the same number of votes as Lucas is a pretty big nod in his favor.
2) What programmer interview?
.....a)How on earth could Claus' wings be hard to program if MetaKnight has wings?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
B/c of the fact that he won't bring nothing new to the table. Claus is a much better choice, and is not only totally different, but much more unique. Why waste a spot when you can give it to someone with huge potential. Also, I never insulted anyone for Ness, just stated my opinions on the situation, which haven't changed. I'd much rather Claus.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, he won't bring nothing new to the table.
You haven't played as him, or seen him, in Brawl. All you're doing is speculating.

And this has been brought up several times, but yes you have, stop trying to save face, you don't even have any.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You haven't played as him, or seen him, in Brawl. All you're doing is speculating.

And this has been brought up several times, but yes you have, stop trying to save face, you don't even have any.
Everyone around here speculates, get the **** over it. It's not going to stop, got it? I don't have to see him in Brawl or play as him, I don't want to do neither. I'm pretty sure, he won't bring more to the table than Claus would. I've insulted people by what? Hurting your feelings by having a different opinion? I'm not trying to save anything. Speaking of not being able to save anything, you won't have anything to save you from the ***-whooping you're going to recieve on Wi-Fi! I hope you're ready!

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
You sure talk pretty big for somebody who has no reputation as somebody unstoppable in a match, 'specially when you (I think it was you, anyway) said that you can't play as Ness in Melee.

Anyway, that's off topic.

Back on topic: What interview?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You sure talk pretty big for somebody who has no reputation as somebody unstoppable in a match, 'specially when you (I think it was you, anyway) said that you can't play as Ness in Melee.

Anyway, that's off topic.

Back on topic: What interview?
1. I've never participated in tournaments or anything of that nature before, but I'm confident in my abilities
2. Despite number 1, I know that I'm BETTER than you
3. Who says I'm going to use Ness in Brawl? I'm not going to waste my time over a character that rarely interest me, but then again, maybe I should use him, just to beat you of all people, with him.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's strange for me. I use to be a Ness mainer. For the longest time, I wanted him, Lucas, and Kumatora to be the Brawl reps. However, Luke Groundwalker's thread from a while back and Claus supporters convinced me that Claus is the better choice and Ness' inclusion with Lucas in is pointless.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
since clones are in Brawl...Ness being in makes sense....and I support it...

but Ness over Claus instead of Ness and Claus is frikin ********....

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
People need to play the Mother series. Not putting it in America (or any other part of the world for that matter) was probably one of the worst ideas ever. I think its that reason that Sakurai seems to neglect the Mother series in Brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
People need to play the Mother series. Not putting it in America (or any other part of the world for that matter) was probably one of the worst ideas ever. I think its that reason that Sakurai seems to neglect the Mother series in Brawl.
We can't say he's neglecting it since we have only seen the surface of this game. For all we know, we could end up with four characters, all the vocal songs being in Brawl(I'd be so happy), MOTHER 1 finally getting some non-music reps such as Magicant stages or Giygas ATs, and possibly more.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
That won't work, at all. Lucas doesn't have an arm cannon or a sword :(
Well, I was basically thinking just a color swap of Lucas with red hair and different colored stripes on his shirt—Claus, minus the mask and the coolness (I realize that kind of defeats the purpose, but it's SOMETHING, in case Claus doesn't make it).

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
As far as clones go, I would have rather seen Kumatora as a Lucas clone (or Lucas as a Kumatora clone as the case may be... :p) than just getting Ness thrown back in.

Anyways, Claus still has a chance in my mind, until the day the game finally comes out and it's physically proven one way or the other.

Unlike some others in here though, if Claus isn't a playable character, I do hope that he at least gets in as an AT or something of the sort, if for no other reason than seeing a cool new upgraded 3D version of him.

I don't mind Ness too much, though. I <3 Earthbound, and I never would have even known about the series if it weren't for Ness' inclusion in Melee. Most of the Ness hate is just coming from the idea that it comes down to either Ness or Claus for the second Earthbound slot and we won't get both. Sadly, it's probably true.

Here's to hoping, in spite of it all.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace

Mario doesn't deserve to be in Brawl, then.

Also, I think you're forgetting about PK Rockin' and the possibility of a new moveset?

Top Bottom