• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I don't know what to say, one day we're out there winning and the next...Poof. :(

Well about this leak to begin with, I don't know why they would leak it so carelessly and Brode (Friend at NS2.) Has mentioned the possibility of a mirror site, I doubt it as it's to eligable to find much arguement against it unfortunantly.

Well if the roster is really 35 characters then i'm disappointed, most being veterans while SF get's A FREAKING REP AND MARIO LOSES ONE? I just don't understand it, and ROB? What about krystal ridley isaac geno paper mario and sukapon? This really does damage a lot.

I say we're just going to have to keep fighting till the end to hope claus makes it in in at least someway, things aren't looking good...

Deku Boy

Smash Cadet
The Mother 3 site is still up
The Mother 3 wikipedia page says nothing about the recall. Did you send an email asking why your order was cancelled?

I'm sick of being the only voice of reason/only person who has any hope left around here. :/
Maybe I'm just the stupid one.

Whatever. To brighten up your days - something completely different.
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5971/mysteryofsheikpv5.png
XD What is Lucas even doing in that comic? He's wide-eyed and silent the whole time.

Anyways, I agree. We have to keep hope alive. Sakurai probably knew how much people wanted Ness to return, and rightly so. Ness is a great character. He was voted into the top three most wanted returning veterans in a poll Nintendo had at some point, if I recall correctly. However... Claus was still in the top 5 most mentioned in Sakurai's journal. He's the perfect companion for Lucas to represent Mother 3. Sakurai was involved in Mother 3, and thus the characters obviously have some meaning to him, almost like the characters from his own game, Kirby.

Plus, it's entirely possible, though unlikely, that Mother could qualify for three representatives, Ness and Mother 3's twins. It's one of the original ten franchises, and although it isn't one of Nintendo's top-selling series like Mario or Zelda, it has an enormous fanbase, and is widely regarded for the general excellence of its games. Besides, they owe fans outside Japan some Mother 3 exposure. >.>;

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wasn't that poll for Melee? Anyway, I still have hope for Claus. After all, you're talking to a person who supports those who have low chances right now - Tom Nook and Kumatora.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
if Claus isnt in Brawl its because he thought people meant boy Claus instead of Masked Man on the Poll...which is could be the reason why Ness is back....

In all honesty, Ness alongside Lucas doesnt make sense...even if they give Ness a new moveset Its still ********...since Lucas shouldve been the one with the new moveset...and if clones are indeed in Brawl, then I dont mind...but the roster better be frikin huge...a 35-40+ roster with clones is too little...45-50+ is just right...and if clones are in Brawl...NO character should not make the cut from Melee's cast...(except for maybe Pichu...but even then I wouldnt mind)...if Brawl has clones, Im glad Ness is in but to leave Claus out or just leave him as an AT or boss is ******** and a waste of Subspace/Event Mode potential and character potential...

if Claus is in I welcome Ness with all the happiness I have...and the clones that will follow...

if not I will officially be the anti-Ness user and make my game solely based on ****** Ness users...[/jkzorz]

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Let's assume that Sakurai is a man of somewhat above average intelligence, shall we? If someone suggests Claus, what will the first thing that comes to your mind be? Useless child Claus who gets himself killed, or Masked Man Claus, the greatest villain ever? I think the latter would cross my mind. There's still no SOLID proof that Ness or Lucario is in. Any number of things could have lead to the existence of that second video. Actually, just two.
A. Hack
B. Mirror site (unlikely, but still possible)

There is no proof anywhere that this leak was real. That video has been around since the 15th. And then magically on the 20th it changes? That's not very Nintendo-ish.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Ive seen somewhere that only the Mother and Pokemon sticker(s) in the vid showed who they could be applied to but the Klaptrap sticker didnt seem to have either one of the DK's...so it could just mean the currently unlocked pplz from the franchise....

of course that is severely unlikely...and Nintendo pretty much added it after the sticker update...which is why its only the Wii.com version...

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for explaining that KumaOso. I've been getting server errors trying to comment here. That's exactly what I meant. It's just not like Nintendo to do something like that. Tomorrow's Dojo update will not be Ness. Or Lucario. Or even Jigglypuff for that matter. I'm sure of it. And Ness will never be updated with, for Ness will not return.

... I hope.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thanks for explaining that KumaOso. I've been getting server errors trying to comment here. That's exactly what I meant. It's just not like Nintendo to do something like that. Tomorrow's Dojo update will not be Ness. Or Lucario. Or even Jigglypuff for that matter. I'm sure of it. And Ness will never be updated with, for Ness will not return.

... I hope.
You're welcome. Also, take a look at the picture where the Ness and Lucas icons are. If this is real, then why do I see a little more than the head in Lucas' icon?

If you pause it at 4:20, you can still see the icons.
It's not there anymore.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
now i love clause. so even thinking about this gives me great pain. but in the leak with lucario ness and jiggs there is an apparent lack of claus for the earthbound sticker. i fear the worst yet hope that someone has a logical argument that can reason why claus was not on that sticker. so far all i have is that if by some chance, mewtwo or pichu are in the game without our knowing, there are people missing from the pokemon franchise in the groundon sticker and therefor clause could just have been excluded from the earthbound sticker. unfortunately, on that sticker are all the pokemon franchise characters that we know of/expected. i fear for claus.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
****, i couldnt manage to get to the last page so i posted that while viewing like 79 or something, now i feel sad for clause AND an idiot, god dammit.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I've been looking at the image a bit more, and yes, there is more to "Lucas" than just a head... but what also comes to attention is the hair style, if not the hair color... it's orange. If this is real, then that's not Lucas down there. I would blame it on the video quality, but the yellows in the rest of the image and the reds in Ness aren't affected. This is either fake or that's Claus down there.

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
Argh... I just thought of something. Where will the MMPMA meet and talk if Claus isn't in Brawl? :o

Maybe our own forum...?
I could code a website...?
Another thread on SmashBoards...?

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm personally thrilled to see that Ness is seemingly confirmed. I'll be honest with you, I hae no personal attachment to Claus since I never played Mother 3 and therefore don't know anything at all about him. While I have no doubt he's an excellent and memorable character, it's impossible for me to be in any way emotionally involved with him since I never experienced his game.

Think of it this way though, even if Claus is deconfirmed as playable (which I'm not saying he definitely is since I personally don't feel that this leak specifically deconfirms anyone) Claus would still make an excellent AT based on what I've seen of his looks and possible attacks. So, even if he's not playable he could still very well be in the game. Well, it's something to hope for anyways.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I've been looking at the image a bit more, and yes, there is more to "Lucas" than just a head... but what also comes to attention is the hair style, if not the hair color... it's orange. If this is real, then that's not Lucas down there. I would blame it on the video quality, but the yellows in the rest of the image and the reds in Ness aren't affected. This is either fake or that's Claus down there.
Actually, I just looked on Brawl central, and whilst I thought you were just being over hopeful, it actually does look more orange. Strange, it's probably Lucas, and I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it really doesn't look blonde. Hmm...

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
Well, I'm personally thrilled to see that Ness is seemingly confirmed. I'll be honest with you, I hae no personal attachment to Claus since I never played Mother 3 and therefore don't know anything at all about him. While I have no doubt he's an excellent and memorable character, it's impossible for me to be in any way emotionally involved with him since I never experienced his game.

Think of it this way though, even if Claus is deconfirmed as playable (which I'm not saying he definitely is since I personally don't feel that this leak specifically deconfirms anyone) Claus would still make an excellent AT based on what I've seen of his looks and possible attacks. So, even if he's not playable he could still very well be in the game. Well, it's something to hope for anyways.
PC or bust.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
i have a question. a bunch of people have mentioned a mirror site, what does that mean. and how plausible is this theory. i assume it has something to do with the vid being fake and photoshopped, it just doent seem very likely.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Argh... I just thought of something. Where will the MMPMA meet and talk if Claus isn't in Brawl? :o

Maybe our own forum...?
I could code a website...?
Another thread on SmashBoards...?
I could make another forum for us on my site in the event that something so unthinkable happened. Hopefully we'll never have to leave here, though.

dinhotheone said:
i have a question. a bunch of people have mentioned a mirror site, what does that mean. and how plausible is this theory. i assume it has something to do with the vid being fake and photoshopped, it just doent seem very likely.
A mirror site is a site that was set up under the same/almost the same name, yet hosted from a remote location by someone else. The thought of it is plausible, yet highly doubtful, for some reason. It's more logical to believe there was a hack with the video and some photoshopped materials.

Old news. Also more than likely fake.

RegalBuster said:
Claus won't be a rep...i can't see why such a small series could get 3 when Metroid will get 2 max.
Because Mother has a heart and soul to it. Metroid's just pointless shooting with very little story attached. Who are you going to include from Metroid aside from Samus? The bosses are too big to play as and Dark Samus would end up being a shameless clone. The other hunters from MPH would probably be the only option, and for all you know, one or two of those will make it as playable.

Machete

Smash Ace
Because Mother has a heart and soul to it. Metroid's just pointless shooting with very little story attached. Who are you going to include from Metroid aside from Samus? The bosses are too big to play as and Dark Samus would end up being a shameless clone. The other hunters from MPH would probably be the only option, and for all you know, one or two of those will make it as playable.
You don't know anything about Metroid, as I can see.

Also, ****ing Ness. Claus deserved it much more.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Here's the funny thing: the alleged "leaked" roster includes R.O.B. as a playable character, while the alleged "article" does not. Thus, one of the two MUST be more accurate than the other. Sadly, however, neither includes Claus as a playable character. :ohwell: Then again, accuracy does not equate to complete truth. Neither list could be true, but one could still be more accurate than the other.

PC or bust.
You said it, brother.

Ugh. Biggest disappointment of the whole roster--and THAT'S saying something, especially with Wolf and R.O.B. on the list. (To be fair, they weren't far behind at all; it was nearly a toss-up, but Ness nabbing that ****ed second MOTHER spot takes the cake in terms of blatant injustices.)

ForteX

Smash Journeyman

On the contrary, I own and have beaten every Metroid game made so far. I know it has a story, but it's not half as compelling as Mother. I stand beside everything I said about the Metroid characters as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've brought up the hacker theory at starmen.net. Dosei-san is the only person thinking of this as a possiblity. They actually argued with me using the supposed default leaked roster saying that the Lucas icon is accurate because of the way it is in that profile.

Unfortunately, they are not aware of the tourney icons are the same as those, and tourney icons have always been just the head.

The hacker theory is a theory of desperation, not logic.

A hacker wouldn't hack Wii.com just so that they can put a video up on the site that features only the slightest modifications.

Fredcrownwel

Smash Rookie
ouch shame that it looks like claus may not make the cut and the info is somewhat stackign against him reminds me of ness but i'm glad i haven't gave up hope for ness not that you guys should either but at least you know he will at least have a part in subspace emissary

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

A hacker wouldn't hack Wii.com just so that they can put a video up on the site that features only the slightest modifications.
Then explain to me why Nintendo would make a minor detail to a video five days after it's been put up.

Cyrlous

Smash Apprentice
PC or bust.
I don't get this at all. I would assume that if for some reason he doesn't make it as playable you would still at least want him represented in some way. And if he's an AT, that gives him a WAY better chance of making it into the next game.

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.
That "Interview with a programmer" thing doesn't make sense. For one, why would they have to go over five or six drafts for a moveset for K. ROOL of all people?! So plenty of random fans on the internet can come up with a good moveset, but not the freakin' PROGRAMMERS?! And if there was so much trouble with Claus' wings and taunt, then why not just change the taunt and get rid of his wings? It's not like he NEEDS his wings anyway. And a Custom Character mode even being considered? That ruins the whole POINT of SSBB. And wouldn't a programmer be fired for releasing that sort of information before the release date FOR A MAGAZINE? I remember that Serebii almost got into a LOT of trouble for releasing similar information on the English Pokemon names, so why would a programmer for Brawl get off easy? Nah, nah, I call BS on that one.

And it does seem awfully suspicious that the Ness thing wasn't noticed at all until five days after the video was released AND was immediately removed after people caught on. Sakurai himself said on the Dojo that he wasn't too hung up about spoiling new characters, so why would Nintendo be in such a rush to remove it?

Great how this stuff just happened to pop up right when I started to like the idea of Ness getting replaced by Lucas and Claus....Oh, well, I still have hope. Besides, three Mother reps is still a possibility if this is true, seeing its huge fanbase and collosal Japanese support.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, they are not aware of the tourney icons are the same as those, and tourney icons have always been just the head.
From what I've seen in demos, the icons you have for lives are little circles now. Not heads at all.

KumaOso said:
A Link to he Snitch said:

Then explain to me why Nintendo would make a minor detail to a video five days after it's been put up.
Exactly. You come in at exactly all the right times. :p Hacker theory - more likely than you think.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think it's best that we avoid this place until release and ignore all leaks. This apocalypse is making everyone go crazy. Who's with me?

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Eh... It may be a good idea. I dunno. I kinda like trying to keep people's heads straight. Dunno how many people have seen this but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxrQiCz4_o

Ness and Lucario aren't there. Nintendo wouldn't leak secret character. If that's real, Ness is gone. Then again... Sonic isn't there either... I don't know what to think.

The boy named Lucas is crying at his mother's grave
The boy named Lucas is loitering in the forest.
The boy named Lucas stole nuts from our yard
The boy named Lucas is attacking the animals
The boy named Lucas learned some bad magic
The boy named Lucas...
The boy named Lucas...
The boy named Lucas...

*the mailbox let out a shriek*

ThoraxeRMG

Smash Ace
Eh... It may be a good idea. I dunno. I kinda like trying to keep people's heads straight. Dunno how many people have seen this but...

Ness and Lucario aren't there.
So? Just because it's Japanese doesn't make it the FINAL version.
It could be the Beta....

Nintendo wouldn't leak secret characterS.

You wouldn't know, as you DON'T work for Nintendo. :laugh:

If that's real, Ness is gone. Then again... Sonic isn't there either... I don't know what to think.
Can there please be more Claus/Lucas supporters who actually has and plays MOTHER3? :psycho:

DynamiteSpoony

Smash Journeyman
A large, dark stormy castle with lots of bats.

Ness and Lucario aren't there. Nintendo wouldn't leak secret character. If that's real, Ness is gone. Then again... Sonic isn't there either... I don't know what to think.

The boy named Lucas is crying at his mother's grave
The boy named Lucas is loitering in the forest.
The boy named Lucas stole nuts from our yard
The boy named Lucas is attacking the animals
The boy named Lucas learned some bad magic
The boy named Lucas...
The boy named Lucas...
The boy named Lucas...

*the mailbox let out a shriek*
But remember: Sonic was a special case, as was Snake. If Ness was in, he'd most likely be in the starting roster, just like he was last time...

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
So? Just because it's Japanese doesn't make it the FINAL version.
It could be the Beta....

You wouldn't know, as you DON'T work for Nintendo. :laugh:

Can there please be more Claus/Lucas supporters who actually has and plays MOTHER3? :psycho:
Are you saying I haven't? I have. From start to finish. I couldn't say it's the best game ever made if I hadn't played it, that would be stupid.

Top Bottom