• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

It is far more likely that the video with accidental revelations was the original version without the modifications of the edited one, and somehow made it onto the site.

If a hacker hacked the site, we'd see much more than minor, barely noticeable modification to a video.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm gonna try to stay off Smashboards. Till the Japanese release. And as I promised, I'll be here for this thread if Claus is somehow in the game.

This whole idea of just 35 characters is aweful, but what's even worse are the *******s screaming at anyone who says that 35 characters is pretty crappy. They've got this huge development team as we keep hearing, I keep hearing all these comments from inside sources such as Famitsu saying it's amazing the content of the game, yet everyone seems to think 35 characters is what there'll be. It's really ridiculous, I don't see how they could make a game like Smash, which relies on characters, that's the whole main focus of the game, and they just add ten more to Melee's roster. Heck, if that list is to be believed only three of the unlockables are actually new to the game! Two of them are Starfox, and one is a Pokemon. Melee's roster was also unbelievable, but that's because it was so WTF. This, is just unbelievable because it's so crap, it's all characters from Melee, with Wolf... Lucario (I like him actually) and...

R.O.B.- Game and Watch was original because he had games to take moves from. What's R.O.B gonna do? Stack boxes and push levers?

Claus should be in, even my sister who knows Melee but doesn't have a clue about Mother 3 said 'Why have they brought Ness back when they could have that helmet guy?' She barely ever plays games, and she can see that Claus>Ness.

Still, it's Sakurai's game, and it's going to be awesome, no question, but it's got so much potential and to just have 35 characters is a dissapointment.

Anyway, but I feel this thread has been the best I've been in, everyone seems far more mature here than in other threads. So since I won't be on for a while I thought I'd post my thoughts here where there's hopefully less flack than I'd get in the 'official leak' thread and since I can't be bothered to reply to a hundred comments of 'BUT ZOMG IT'S A BRILLIANT ROSTER, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FIND IT A SMALL AMOUNT!!!1111 AND R.O.B WILL ROCK!!1111'

Well adios until later, and if Claus is back, I'll be back too.

CLAUS FOR BRAWL!

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
A tiny piece of hope?

It clearly says PSI(buttom left).Does Claus used PSI in Mother 3?I hope not.
Hopefully this can help Claus chances.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
You know that there's 35 characters in it just like we all know every month has 28 days. Saying that there'll be 35 characters isn't necessarily saying that 35 characters are all there is. So stop pretending to be awesome.

Ouendanation said:
........???

EDIT: Also, having second thoughts about making a new thread
I already commented on that, I said that if it comes down to something that unthinkable, I could make a forum on my site, if you would like. It'd be ad free and load pretty fast. But I don't think we'll ever need to leave here, since you know, Claus is getting a subforum and all.

Also- No, Claus doesn't use PSI. He never learns any other PSI aside from PK Love, it's all he was taught. So since PK Love is already pretty much confirmed to not be able to be turned into a move in Brawl, he would be the first Mother character in Smash to not use it and still be able to work. For the record - his thunder attack is not PK Thunder. It's never referenced as that when he attacks, unlike it is when a normal enemy uses it.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I know that there's 35 characters in it too. And then some. This 35 character roster "leak" is absolute crap. Sure, it could be possible, aside from the fact that ROB's on it, but they wouldn't just put 35 characters in it. that's too little. Nintendo knows it. Just because ROB was in Mario Kart DS as the secret character (and best cars) in the game doesn't mean he'll be in Brawl. What kind of moveset would he have? There's WTF Characters and then there's Impossible characters.

Watch this game's WTF character be Harvest Moon guy. >_>

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
I want 48 characters. But you cannot deny Ness is playable now. I will be sad if Claus isn't in but... at least my Melee main is back in.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
It can still be denied, since there isn't really any proof stating that what was in that video edit was real, or why it changed AFTER the edit. I'm going to support a hacker theory until I get real, hard evidence.

You're going to support the hacker theory?

The video was real. There is literally not one iota of evidence to even imply that the site was hacked.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
There's literally no evidence that it wasn't a hacker, either. Think about this. Think about how many people on the internet know about Smash, know about how important it is to large communities like this, and how much fun it would be to send so many people into an uproar about the inclusion of Ness and Lucario. That list of people doesn't exclude 7chan and 4chan. They would do it. Prove me wrong.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Wow...if anyone actually believes that fake roster, they're an idiot. I mean the Marth is from a melee screenshot and the Young link doesnt even have the same graphic style as brawl. Brawl isn't cell shaded as far as I know.

Claus has chances still. I think the fact that Ness is in the game doesn't help Claus's chances. There are two possibilities:

A. Claus isn't unlocked by the time that screenshot was taken.
B. Claus can't use a sticker of himself to power up himself.

I also think it's still possible that Ness could be an alternate costume of Lucas. The icon of overalls wario is different from Warioware Wario.

Give me something to disprove and I'll disprove it. The hacker "argument" is not based on logic or facts, it's based on desperation and denial.

The fact of the matter is that if someone hacked Wii.com, they wouldn't have just put the absolutely most minor images in a one and one half second segment in ONE video. That is just unrealistic. The most realistic scenario is that the one that's up now is a modification of the actual video to avoid spoilers, while the original video mistakenly got posted.

And my God, you are seriously going through the denial phase. I'm an idiot for knowing the roster? And if you speak of that uber fake roster image, then we're not even speaking of that.

And wow, what horrible logic. I guess Mr. Game & Watch isn't really in Melee because he's flat 2D, and as I recall, Brawl isn't flat 2D. Oh, and Tingle's trophy in Brawl is cel-shaded. I guess the Dojo is lying. Oh, and Kirby's G&W transformation is cel-shaded. I guess Kirby can't turn into G&W. Oh, and the YI stage uses cel-shading. I guess there's no YI stage.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
There's literally no evidence that it wasn't a hacker, either. Think about this. Think about how many people on the internet know about Smash, know about how important it is to large communities like this, and how much fun it would be to send so many people into an uproar about the inclusion of Ness and Lucario. That list of people doesn't exclude 7chan and 4chan. They would do it. Prove me wrong.
Thats what bigfoot said.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Give me something to disprove and I'll disprove it. The hacker "argument" is not based on logic or facts, it's based on desperation and denial.
I never run on desperation or denial. I am fully aware that Claus' chances are very slim now, but I'm simply trying to provide enough facts to keep some hope in it. Whether or not the video was hacked isn't really what matters. So far those stickers have done nothing to hurt anyone's chances, not Claus, not Mewtwo, not anyone. Ness could be returning just to make the American Mother fans happy, since for all business purposes, American Mother fans are only really supposed to know Ness. But that's seriously beside my purpose in this post.

We might sit around and say "Mother's not important enough to get 3 reps" But I know that more thought goes into the inclusion of characters than something like "How important/well known is this series?" If that were the case, Ness wouldn't have been in SSB64. Especially if you want to say "Mother blah blah Japan". America's opinion of the inclusion of characters means nothing as easily demonstrated by the fact that we never got a say in the character suggestions (unless you read Japanese or count that one Nintendo Power thing or whatever it was).

My reason for thinking of hacking is completely based on logic. It is illogical for Nintendo to update with a supposed "first video" by accident, ESPECIALLY when the "second/edited video" was updated first. I know full well of the idea about it being a marketing strategy by Nintendo to raise hype, but they could have done that by simply having those stickers there to begin with. If it had been intended for the stickers update, Nintendo would have left it up after that initial show of it, where you didn't have to pause to catch a glimpse of the faces, or Nintendo just would have released the video AFTER the sticker update.

And before you say it again "You don't work for Nintendo" No, I don't. And yes, I know Nintendo does some weird marketing things sometimes, often very unconventional, but I know that editing a video with minuscule details like that and taking it down doesn't fall into the normal marketing strategy for anyone. I can't provide any facts, no. But you can't provide facts about your 35 character roster nor can anyone else. The only facts anyone can provide anyone else with is stuff from the Dojo or any demo information. But you know that already.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The fact of the matter is that if someone hacked Wii.com, they wouldn't have just put the absolutely most minor images in a one and one half second segment in ONE video. That is just unrealistic. The most realistic scenario is that the one that's up now is a modification of the actual video to avoid spoilers, while the original video mistakenly got posted.
Mind explaining why Nintendo would go back and do it themselves? If they wanted to do it because of the update, why not let that info first be revealed and then upload the video? Also, why exactly would they go and give the webmaster two different videos? If they wanted the info secret, they would've only given him/her the edited one, not both. Finally, why update after five days of the upload and two days after the update? No one really wants to answer this.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wanted to see if the icons were there before they were found on Sunday. From what I infer, the icons were NOT there based on this video, which was uploaded onto Youtube five days before the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK_VBADRCRk

What does this mean, necessarily? Well, the original video was this. The one on Sunday was the altered video. This does not confirm the hacker theory but it raises the question for Nintendo's motivation to alter it, assuming that they did it.

1. You don't? You're supporting a theory that has literally nothing going for it just because what it proves is what you want it to prove.

2. Did I say they did it themselves? I said that it accidentally ended up because of human error. It is not out of the question - for instance, one can find content left out of a game still on a disc. Nintendo could very well have had the video on the site, which somehow ended up getting posted.

Seriously, when the roster shows up and Lucario, Ness, and Jigglypuff are seen, and the Claus/Groudon stickers show the exact same thing as t he video, I expect you to own up to it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
And what do you mean by owning up to it? Admitting that we were wrong? If that's it, that's just a matter of swallowing our own pride.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* For all practical reasons, you're supporting a theory that you want to support just because it wields results you want as well. But arguing with you is quickly proving to be the most pointless thing I have done so far in this thread. It's really getting annoying. Learn from example. I'm willing to see your side of the argument as logical and well based, yet you seem to not be able to do the same in return. We both have no proof as to what's real. And we won't until the game comes out.

But what do I expect...

Like I said, there is at no point any reason to believe that they went back, modified it, and posted it.

The only logical conclusion is that the site had that video locked away, and somehow it got posted. Stuff like this happens more often than one may think.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, there is at no point any reason to believe that they went back, modified it, and posted it.

The only logical conclusion is that the site had that video locked away, and somehow it got posted. Stuff like this happens more often than one may think.
I still don't understand exactly WHY they would have done that. If they didn't want it revealed, I doubt they would have put it on the site in the first place. But whatever. I guess it doesn't matter.

If that one newspaper/magazine/whatever thing it was that says 48 characters and Clones, I don't doubt Ness' return. I imagine a Fox/Falco relation between Lucas and Ness, Lucas being the stronger of the two PSI wise, but Ness' physical strength being more powerful. Also Lucas will probably be faster since you can actually run in Mother 3. I still think Ness' up B should be PK Teleport. At least he actually has that in game.

I may as well also say this again - Claus uses no PSI. That sticker would be useless for him. Claus would defnitely be a mostly physical character. Aside from the gun. If they even bothered to use it.

Also - Here's a picture I drew, just for the sake of showing off. Ignore the date, I drew this yesterday. It's extremely good for my standards. I don't have a scanner so I had to take a picture of it with my crappy digital camera.
http://www.fortescomics.tfcph.com/standard/S1010060.JPG

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
I still don't understand exactly WHY they would have done that. If they didn't want it revealed, I doubt they would have put it on the site in the first place. But whatever. I guess it doesn't matter.

If that one newspaper/magazine/whatever thing it was that says 48 characters and Clones, I don't doubt Ness' return. I imagine a Fox/Falco relation between Lucas and Ness, Lucas being the stronger of the two PSI wise, but Ness' physical strength being more powerful. Also Lucas will probably be faster since you can actually run in Mother 3. I still think Ness' up B should be PK Teleport. At least he actually has that in game.
You seen that new video on Brawl Central? (also on the official *** site) the 5 min gameplay one? Lucas looks really cool there, I haven't watched it enough to pick up his moves, but he seems pretty strong, and actually seems to be able to freeze people a lot.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
That icon next to Ness looked like Claus at first... but then I realized it couldn't be claus because he wears a mask/helmet...

Well at least you guys can be assured Pokey/porky is more likely to be a boss than Claus.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Based on my own opinions, I think there's a pretty solid chance of having both Ness and Lucas in Brawl as separate characters. Having Ness built-in with Lucas doesn't seem right, since they're both different characters from different games with different abilities. There's definitely enough diversity about them to be separate. In Melee, Luigi, Mario, and Doc Mario are all very similar, and they were even separate.

What I'm trying to get to with the previous paragraph is that, if it's true, we'll have two fighters from the Mother series. The series is really popular in Japan, but over here it isn't, which makes a third Mother fighter seem questionable. I wouldn't call Claus impossible at this point, though; in Melee we got some fighters that I didn't think were the best/most popular choices for the game.

The whole situation is in the air right now. I'm a big fan of Earthbound/the Mother series, and I'm hoping for a lot of stuff from those games. I know how Nintendo is with the series towards the US, and all other types of complications which don't have much to do with Brawl, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't anything from the games besides Lucas, Ness, and some various stickers. I won't get into some of the things everybody else is talking about here, like possible hackings and etc. It's just going to drive everyone in circles.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Based on my own opinions, I think there's a pretty solid chance of having both Ness and Lucas in Brawl as separate characters. Having Ness built-in with Lucas doesn't seem right, since they're both different characters from different games with different abilities. There's definitely enough diversity about them to be separate. In Melee, Luigi, Mario, and Doc Mario are all very similar, and they were even separate.

What I'm trying to get to with the previous paragraph is that, if it's true, we'll have two fighters from the Mother series. The series is really popular in Japan, but over here it isn't, which makes a third Mother fighter seem questionable. I wouldn't call Claus impossible at this point, though; in Melee we got some fighters that I didn't think were the best/most popular choices for the game.

The whole situation is in the air right now. I'm a big fan of Earthbound/the Mother series, and I'm hoping for a lot of stuff from those games. I know how Nintendo is with the series towards the US, and all other types of complications which don't have much to do with Brawl, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't anything from the games besides Lucas, Ness, and some various stickers. I won't get into some of the things everybody else is talking about here, like possible hackings and etc. It's just going to drive everyone in circles.

T-major

Smash Champion
FINALLY! Smashboards is working for me! it seems your talking about that Ness icon that was hacked into that video. and yes, I did say "hacked", because thats what it is... don't believe me? well, let me explain...

first off, Nintendo isn't stupid. the chances of them accidentally uploading something with that info in it in the first place is extremely low. and even if they DID accidentally upload it, they would have realized it and fixed it a LOT sooner than they did.

second, nobody (including Nintendo) noticed this info until AFTER the Sticker Power-ups were revealed on the Dojo. given the amount of people who probably watch that video at any given time, it's extremely improbable that somebody wouldn't have brought it to everyones attention sooner than it was. it's almost as if those icons weren't even THERE until after that update. and the only reason they wouldn't be there until after the update, is if someone added them in after the fact... now, who would do that?

Nintendo wouldn't, because there isn't a need to; and if they did do that, they would have made sure that it didn't reveal anything big before uploading it. then when they fixed it, they would have just taken out the stuff that they didn't want people to see; not everything. and not give me "the video must have been hidden somewhere on the site, and then replaced itself" because it doesn't work that way. Nintendo wouldn't have had the video hidden on the site to begin with, because it would take up space. if they DID have that "unaltered" version of the video, it would have been stored somewhere in the computers memory; not on the site.

who does that leave? someone, thats who! some random hacker who edited that stuff into the video (very well, I'll admit), then hacked the Wii site, and replaced the current one. Nintendo noticed it, said "OMG!!1 1337 HAX0rz!!1!", and corrected it.

seriously. the only reason people believe this garbage is because they aren't looking deep enough... it really is ridiculous that people take random stuff that means nothing, and turn it into a character or two. but when something that actually warrants looking into come along, they don't do jack ****!! what the hell is up with that!?

and it's depressing that half of Claus' supports have suddenly given up hope on him.

Top Bottom