• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

I'm arguing for the absolute most logical conclusion. Not that someone made a minor, hardly noticeable hack to a Japanese site - namely, an American doing so - but that a single employee in a company of thousands made a mistake or a "mistake".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As far as clones go, I would have rather seen Kumatora as a Lucas clone (or Lucas as a Kumatora clone as the case may be... :p) than just getting Ness thrown back in.

Anyways, Claus still has a chance in my mind, until the day the game finally comes out and it's physically proven one way or the other.

Unlike some others in here though, if Claus isn't a playable character, I do hope that he at least gets in as an AT or something of the sort, if for no other reason than seeing a cool new upgraded 3D version of him.

I don't mind Ness too much, though. I <3 Earthbound, and I never would have even known about the series if it weren't for Ness' inclusion in Melee. Most of the Ness hate is just coming from the idea that it comes down to either Ness or Claus for the second Earthbound slot and we won't get both. Sadly, it's probably true.

Here's to hoping, in spite of it all.
Hey, she's not out yet until there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The same goes for Claus, but I agree that he has better chances.

If Claus is an AT, he should do a giant lightning storm that will occasionally home on the opponent(s). If Kumatora, she should do PK Ground, her somewhat trademark move, by jumping in the air and punching the ground where stalagmites come out of the ground.

I've said this earlier, but we don't know for sure how many MOTHER reps there will be. After all, Starfox had two reps in Melee despite being an infant series and might possibly get three or four reps. Interestingly enough, Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Donkey Kong, and MOTHER can all easily fill in each with a main character, a Luigification/clone, a girl (princess or not), and a villain.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You mean like Saki? That could work but it'd be too similar to Saki.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
... maybe I missed something, but why'd Oendanation quote me?

Anyway. I'm really seriously heavily strongly doubting Claus as an Assist Trophy. That just wouldn't be right. Hopefully Sakurai is smart enough to realize that Claus has big enough role and fanbase to be in the game.

Then again, Sakurai has been smart enough to do everything else right, sooo... I've no doubt he'll do this right, too.

Claus is important, but remember, not all important characters can get into Brawl.

Also, keeping him as an "appears, attacks, vanishes" AT would be even worse than being an AT.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh. I couldn't see them including Lucas and not Claus, they're basically a pair, like Mario and Luigi only cooler, and almost every piece of MOTHER3 merchandise reflects that.

The only character I could see affecting Claus' chances is Jeff, to be honest, from Earthbound.

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh. I couldn't see them including Lucas and not Claus, they're basically a pair, like Mario and Luigi only cooler, and almost every piece of MOTHER3 merchandise reflects that.

The only character I could see affecting Claus' chances is Jeff, to be honest, from Earthbound.
eww jeff = fail.

IMO

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
... maybe I missed something, but why'd Oendanation quote me?

Anyway. I'm really seriously heavily strongly doubting Claus as an Assist Trophy. That just wouldn't be right. Hopefully Sakurai is smart enough to realize that Claus has big enough role and fanbase to be in the game.

Then again, Sakurai has been smart enough to do everything else right, sooo... I've no doubt he'll do this right, too.
Yeah, it wouldn't be right. Not only would it be killing moveset potential but it's also an insult to MOTHER fans. From what I can see, some characters might become ATs if their movesets in the drafting stages are redundant or just way to similar to others(without being a clone).

New topic: Anyone got an idea on how big the roster might be? I'm guessing 50+ considering the time, budget, and having 700 people work on it at one point.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
To include a stage like New Pork City and so much media/mention of the Pig Mask Army...
I'd think they'd get some heavy representation. Hate to use "leaks" as supporting argument, buuut an accurate leaker whose name evades me has alluded to most series getting around 3 characters. Earthbound/MOTHER has two...
With Claus' votes, I could see him easily rounding off the 3.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's in the more I think about it.

And again, what programmer interview were you guys talking about earlier?

To be more precise, not every important character DOES get in.

And unimportant characters can get in.

Importance isn't a policy, it's a guideline.

D

Deleted member

To be more precise, not every important character DOES get in.

And unimportant characters can get in.

Importance isn't a policy, it's a guideline.
And since when is Claus not important? He is as important to MOTHER 3 as Bowser is too the Mario franchise. I said MOTHER 3, not the franchise. He is the main villain in Nintendo's most beautiful, saddest and dramatic game.

That's right, I finally beat MOTHER 3, guys and after doing so, I want Claus in more than ever. Ness had his time and I dunno whether to believe those leaks on that commercial but I will assure you that Ness should not get in before Claus. That's just so god**** absurd. He is a most wanted MOTHER 3 rep for crying out loud and I understand that a lot of Claus fans gave up, but Isure as hell ain't givin' up on him. Claus for f*cking Brawl

Ouendanation

Smash Ace
And since when is Claus not important? He is as important to MOTHER 3 as Bowser is too the Mario franchise. I said MOTHER 3, not the franchise. He is the main villain in Nintendo's most beautiful, saddest and dramatic game.

That's right, I finally beat MOTHER 3, guys and after doing so, I want Claus in more than ever. Ness had his time and I dunno whether to believe those leaks on that commercial but I will assure you that Ness should not get in before Claus. That's just so god**** absurd. He is a most wanted MOTHER 3 rep for crying out loud and I understand that a lot of Claus fans gave up, but Isure as hell ain't givin' up on him. Claus for f*cking Brawl
QFT

edit: Also, working on a Mr Saturn papercraft.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ness had his time and I dunno whether to believe those leaks on that commercial but I will assure you that Ness should not get in before Claus.
Same here. I'm waiting for a Dojo verdict or a guide scan on Ness.

D

Deleted member

Also: Good hustle, Foz, but sttle down a bit.
Lol, sorry, but I am tired of seeing A Link to the Snitch everywhere. Geno Thread, K. Rool Thread and if he starts spendin' time in this thread, I will blow my top. I also noticed a comment he made a while ago about the whole Mewtwo thing, about his return is unlikely? Ugh, just tired of it.

I'm tired of you, Foz, being an incompetent kindergartener. I never once said Claus was unimportant, you just decided that since you are probably some all-knowing, all-seeing God-like being, you can DECIDE that I said that.

I state fact. I analyze likelihood. You are such a pissant and cry whenever I do so. I don't throw my personal opinion of the character into it, you do, I present complete objectivity. Hell, EarthBound is my favorite game ever and Mother 3 is one of my most anticipated games ever.

I give more **** about **** than I do about your rebutall to a nonexistent statement. You can't try to ***** about me to avoid the fact that you decided what I say.

"To be more precise, not every important character DOES get in."

My repair to my statement.

My prediction? You'll do a horrible, horrible, horrible job explaining why that = Claus is unimportant. Hell, it is necessarily saying that he's important.

Pretend that reading comprehension is a basic necessity of life for just one instance, please.

D

Deleted member

I'm tired of you, Foz, being an incompetent kindergartener.
Ouch, I am hurt. Stop picking on my you big bully or I'll cry to my mommy and I'll get some Ice Cream and you won't. Haha, f*cker.

I never once said Claus was unimportant, you just decided that since you are probably some all-knowing, all-seeing God-like being, you can DECIDE that I said that.
Key Word = Probably.
I thank you for the compliment but no, an incompetent kindergartener would never live up to being a God.

Why bother to keep talking about unimportant characters than if it absolutely has nothing to do with Claus. Because, I stand by to what I said about what I said for Claus being important.

I state fact.
I beg differ.

I analyze likelihood.
And this is all the time?
lol Geno says hi.

You are such a pissant and cry whenever I do so.
No, I am just pissed and annoyed. You don't always state facts, you don't always know who is likely to be in and who isn't.

I don't throw my personal opinion of the character into it, you do, I present complete objectivity.
And this is when I object a character? I have never walked into a thread for a character I hated and said "DURR ___ WILL NOT BE IN BLAH BLAH BLAH (so called "facts") BLAHBLAH BLAH". I only support. I will admit, I have given my opinions for Dark Samus and Wind Waker Link but I took 'em back. Why? 'Cause I know their chances. I now support both WWLink and Dark Samus.
I give more **** about **** than I do about your rebutall to a nonexistent statement. You can't try to ***** about me to avoid the fact that you decided what I say.
You're not aware of it, are you? At this moment, I am standing up for every character you oppose, every character that have the most likely chances. Claus, K. Rool. Mewtwo. Geno. They're likely. You just don't realize it.

My prediction? You'll do a horrible, horrible, horrible job explaining why that = Claus is unimportant. Hell, it is necessarily saying that he's important.

Pretend that reading comprehension is a basic necessity of life for just one instance, please.
You may have not said a lot of stuff explicitly but implicitly? Yeah, it is all clear to me.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I really still hope claus makes it, and kumaoso, i'm thinking 36-38, might be low but i'm not getting my expectations to high, if we get at least 40 then we have hope in a third rep. (Or hopefully lucas is the replacement but i'm starting to get a LOT of doubts.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I really still hope claus makes it, and kumaoso, i'm thinking 36-38, might be low but i'm not getting my expectations to high, if we get at least 40 then we have hope in a third rep. (Or hopefully lucas is the replacement but i'm starting to get a LOT of doubts.)
For now, it might be a good idea to have low expectations in terms of size. However, you can't deny on how many people worked on this game.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
For now, it might be a good idea to have low expectations in terms of size. However, you can't deny on how many people worked on this game.
http://www.nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121513 < Read it, it's educational.

Seriously there's a lot of character development required in this game (Like gardevior being cut from being to similar to mewtwo. :bee:) So i'm not expecting a huge number unless we see clones, hopefully we at least see claus knab a spot...

Well, see, since you're a blatantly stupid ****** who shouldn't be allowed entrance into civilization, I'll just ignore any implication you think exists.

Since, yknow, you're terribly stupid.

My original statement stated that every single important character won't be playable. The only implication that any rationale, intelligent human being can get from that is "Claus is important, but won't necessarily be playable because of that".

Go home, Foz. You don't even have a bit of understanding of what is being said. I've never once entered a thread and said "I don't support this or that character", because I don't discuss who I support, I only discuss who I think is most likely. I supported Eggplant Wizard, doesn't mean I thought he was likely. Same thing with Ridley - I support him, but because of the recent leak from a reliable leaker, I accept dreadfully that he isn't playable. I support Claus, but I don't think he's likely. I mean, my God, are you even old enough to wipe your own crack? It'll be a cold day in Hell before I let some idiotic Smasher tell me what my position is and what my opinions are.

I also put Mewtwo in my list of five characters I wish were in Brawl (among Andy, Ridley, Animal Crosser, and Takamaru). Oh, but I guess I don't support him because I said he's not very likely. Omg.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
http://www.nsider2.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121513 < Read it, it's educational.

Seriously there's a lot of character development required in this game (Like gardevior being cut from being to similar to mewtwo. :bee:) So i'm not expecting a huge number unless we see clones, hopefully we at least see claus knab a spot...
Well, we don't really know why Gardevoir was cut. Come to think of it, we don't even know if she was even in the drafting stages for creating movesets. Remember, that journal was put together of ones that stick out like Link's Uncle.

Also, for the roster size from SSB to Melee, you have to remember there were time issues. Nothing else can explain Wario, Diddy, Meta Knight, Ridley, or Dedede's exclusions at that time.

Finally, I think clones will be in but the ratio of them to the full roster will be smaller.

D

Deleted member

Well, see, since you're a blatantly stupid ****** who shouldn't be allowed entrance into civilization, I'll just ignore any implication you think exists.

Since, yknow, you're terribly stupid.
Ouch, that's like; a mosquito bite to the neck.

My original statement stated that every single important character won't be playable. The only implication that any rationale, intelligent human being can get from that is "Claus is important, but won't necessarily be playable because of that".
And it seemed that throughout your time here, that was the only back-up argument you have. You were somewhat stating that Claus can't be in because he is important? Gimme a break. So, is he too important or is that tumor in your brain just gnawing away?
Go home, Foz. You don't even have a bit of understanding of what is being said. I've never once entered a thread and said "I don't support this or that character", because I don't discuss who I support, I only discuss who I think is most likely.
And guys like Geno or K. Rool aren't likely?
roffle

I supported Eggplant Wizard, doesn't mean I thought he was likely. Same thing with Ridley - I support him, but because of the recent leak from a reliable leaker, I accept dreadfully that he isn't playable.
A-... a roster leak without Ridley? And you believe it?!
Wow, and I am supposedly the dumb one?

I support Claus, but I don't think he's likely.
Do some research on him. He is as likely as Ridley, Geno, Krystal and his own twin brother; Lucas.

I mean, my God, are you even old enough to wipe your own crack?
Hey!
Like the saying goes; I'm a big kid now! >(

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I let some idiotic Smasher tell me what my position is and what my opinions are.
The only opinions I oppose are the ones where you talk very high of your self.
"I speak facts."
"I know what I am talking about."

But, really, you don't. Calling Claus, Geno, K. Rool or even Mewtwo unlikely is just not true. Like I said; do some god**** research.

I also put Mewtwo in my list of five characters I wish were in Brawl (among Andy, Ridley, Animal Crosser, and Takamaru). Oh, but I guess I don't support him because I said he's not very likely. Omg.
I don't give a sh*t if you support him or not. Did I ask who you support? No, so, why should I care? But calling him unlikely is just absurd. He is a fan favourite. He more pros than he does for Cons. He is just that popular and just that loved that it should be hard for Sakurai to ignore. Seriously. A lot of characters are much more likely than you or your "facts" think.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Take the fight to PMs, guys.

Anyway.

We can't say for sure if he WILL be in, it's a bit of a razor's edge, but there certainly do seem to be quite a few things nodding in his favor. I guess the message is don't treat it like a sure thing, no matter how likely it seems, because there were some omissions from Melee that seemed a little extraordinary, I'm sure.

Wow, you are so ********!

This is what it means - "not all important characters get in"

What is so hard to ****ing understand you blind SOB?

Fun fact: It means what it ****ing says. NOT ALL IMPORTANT CHARACTERS GET IN. There are LOTS of important characters in the Nintendo universe, so why the Hell is Claus so special? Why not Andy from Advance Wars, the most well-known character in this 20 year old Advance Wars series? Or Lolo, the star of Adventures of Lolo, a nine game series, which Sakurai enjoys very much? Or Little Mac, star of one of the favorite NES games? Christ, are you that thick that you'd completely ignore every single statement I ever say? It's one thing to be important, it's another thing to be picked by Sakurai FOR the importance you hold. Other characters hold importance, and maybe he just said "you know what? I think these guys should get in over these guys, despite their importance." Christ.

Geno has too many legal issues to go through to be worth it, not even comparable notability to Snake or Sonic, Doesn't even begin to be known in Europe, where SMRPG never was released, etc. And add on top of that K. Rool, in a dwindling series, a series whose popularity has died in Japan, selling an acceptable amount, but not enough to get three reps! It was once popular, now it somehow started sucking.

Right, I guess Melee never happened - Ridley, Wario, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Pit, etc. didn't make it. Oh, wait, Sakurai makes his own decisions, and not every character that has a large fan base makes it in. Maybe he looked at the sales of the last five released Metroid games in Japan and said that it wasn't important enough? If Metroid was significant enough to Sakurai, enough to make him add three reps (because you may not want to admit it, but ZSS takes up as much effort and time to make as Ridley would), then it would have been significant enough to add Ridley in Melee in the first place - you know, when the series was making its triumphant comeback?

...See, fun idea - let's not say that the main villain is as likely as the main character, kay?

You did so much research that you explained away the fact that Claus and Mewtwo weren't shown to be playable in that video, even though it showed Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Ness.

Okay, moron, so here's the low-down - I don't give half a **** about popularity. At this point, Claus, Mewtwo, Ridley, etc. only have support because people cling desperately to them sitll having a chance.

They have a very small chance. I will be very surprised if they make it in.

The fact of the matter is that your fanboy crushes on these characters influences your opinion of their likelihood. We aren't getting anymore third parties, Krystal's out, K. Rool's chances are diminished, Geno's relatively unknown in Australia, Africa, and Europe, etc.

The fact of the matter is that Mewtwo could only get in if this video turned out to be a fake. And it probably isn't. If they would show a brand new character revelation, they wouldn't be too shy to hide a veteran revelation.

I do believe I do not care.

If Foz wants to be treated civilly, he should act like a member of society. You know, not make blatantly stretching assumptions, and sticking onto a statement that had zero room for analysis and analyzing it.

I don't care to be misquoted.

And I did explain it pretty ****ed well, Foz just kept spewing bullcrap about how there's some hidden implication that would actually make my statement into the exact opposite of what it actually says.

T-major

Smash Champion
Snitch... I only glanced over that, because I don't like you, and couldn't be bothered to read it all; but one part caught my eye...

The fact of the matter is that your fanboy crushes on these characters influences your opinion of their likelihood.
thats a major over generalization. I didn't like Diddy, but I regarded him being in Brawl as a fact, because he was SO likely, that it was ridiculous to think anything else! there are a lot of characters, whether you want to believe it or not, that WILL be in.
We aren't getting anymore third parties
says who? you? cause you don't count...

Krystal's out
say who!? don't even DARE say that bull crap roster leak, because thats faker than Michael Jackson's nose...

also. did you say Ridley wasn't likely? because your a ****** if you did. only someone with the IQ of half a clam would think something like that... yes, thats a fact. don't like it? I don't give a flying fu*k! :D

seriously. this thread has gone to **** since you showed up and started spouting your opinions and broken logic as facts. just go away! I don't want to hear it anymore. and I'm sure no one else does either.

Top Bottom