• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus (The Masked Man) for SSBB thread, Mother 3 Spoilers

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
I still think that Pokey's evolution from a fat, cowardly neighbor-kid into a megalomaniacal leader and a true threat is just one example of why Itoi's storytelling skills are almost unmatched in video games. I mean, really. Giygas may have corrupted the minds of weak-minded people, but the real villian in Mother 2 was Pokey, who was just using Giygas to gain his own power and eventually, eternal life. And in Mother 3, though you see his old, childish personality shine through occasionally, the game never lets you forget that he's incredibly dangerous and has learned a lot about humanity throughout his travels in space and time. Thanks to his experience, he was able to throw the whole "new world" out of peace by introducing shiny new temptations which sent the citizens into a downward spiral of selfishness and disdain for their homes and environment. I mean, did it depress anyone else to see that some of the villagers had actually JOINED the Pigmask Army, after they had burned down their forest and made monsters of their wildlife, especially the once-harmless Dragos, and tore apart an entire family?
Agreed totally. Porky/Pokey was an awesome villain, probably my fave villain in any RPG (usurping the position that FF6's Kefka ooccupied totally for years on end).

Pretty much the only thing I didn't like about Porky's involvement in M3 was that a) he became an old man and b) it wasn't Ness who ended up finally taking him down (though, to be fair, he wasn't killed by any one in M3 either).

But otherwise, he was an awesome villain, and I liked how he didn't need some uber, cosmic phenomenon to try and do his dirty work for him this time. It would have been kind of lame if turned out that he was able to bring Giegue back some how, and then lol'd about how he wasn't going to make the same mistake with such power once again.

....So yeah....Pokey for SSE boss?
Definitely. Hell, if they could find a way to make it work, I'd like nothing more than to see Porky as a playable, some how.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
There's no definite answer. In the game, there's just a blue flash at the end of Claus' arm cannon.

Oh, and to me, it looks like Lucas may be in a hall of the Empire Porky Building. Or maybe I'm just deluding myself :laugh:
He might be for all we know. And has anyone noticed the Pokey statue on the far right side of the New Pork City stage? Isn't that a boss from Mother 3? Maybe you fight that, or his mechno spider.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Well, since Lucas has Ness's FSmash as well, it's pretty much set that Ness is gone. And in that case, there is only one other MOTHER rep that has anywhere near a good chance of making it onto the playable roster. :bigthumbu

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
Well, since Lucas has Ness's FSmash as well, it's pretty much set that Ness is gone. And in that case, there is only one other MOTHER rep that has anywhere near a good chance of making it onto the playable roster. :bigthumbu
Not necessarily. If characters sharing FSmashes and some basic movesets were all that it took for characters to go bye-bye, we would have said good-bye to Luigi and Puff/Purin years ago. If they really wanted to bring Ness back, they'll bring him back, and I'm trusting that they could do enough to differentiate Lucas from him, such that it could at least be a Mario and Luigi type of thing.

But any way...more chances for Claus is always a good thing...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Not necessarily. If characters sharing FSmashes and some basic movesets were all that it took for characters to go bye-bye, we would have said good-bye to Luigi and Puff/Purin years ago. If they really wanted to bring Ness back, they'll bring him back, and I'm trusting that they could do enough to differentiate Lucas from him, such that it could at least be a Mario and Luigi type of thing.

I still don't get what Mario and Luigi has to do with anything of this type of thing. Luigi could be getting a totally new moveset with the Mr. L thing now. Ness only has a couple of moves that Lucas doesn't already have. Face it, he's gone. Luigi and Purin weren't going to be replaced by anyone, but Ness was.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

Well, Ness's Home Run Smash (or SMAAAAAASH!!, as it were) was one of his signature moves. And to share what are essentially the most "interesting" moves of a character's arsenal--the Special Moves--is kind of a big thing. This bat swing (or wooden stick swing, as it were) is the final nail in the proverbial coffin.

But we'll certainly agree on the latter point: more chances for Claus is ALWAYS a good thing. :bigthumbu

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88

But he doesn't use his fists...he uses a BASEBALL BAT! And Ness was the ONLY one who used it. And now Lucas uses a Bat for his Fsmash. I assume that Claus will also use one then... Why can't people admit that Ness is not returning?

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
But he doesn't use his fists...he uses a BASEBALL BAT! And Ness was the ONLY one who used it. And now Lucas uses a Bat for his Fsmash. I assume that Claus will also use one then... Why can't people admit that Ness is not returning?
And on the other hand, why are you and some others so hell-bent on trying to prove that he's not? It really isn't that serious (or at least, it certainly ain't to me), and that goes for both sides of the argument.

I'm just saying, there's not still not enough proof to prove or disprove it one way or the other. And furthermore, the "absence of evidence (or the presence of rather spotty evidence, in this case), is not the evidence of absence", as the saying goes.

But any way, I digress. I certainly did NOT want to open that kind of can of worms in this topic (again). This topic is about talking about Claus and his awesome-ness, not about the ongoing "litigation" about Ness's possible inclusion/exclusion from the DSBX/SSBB, so I motion to dismiss this discussion.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I'm just saying, there's not still not enough proof to prove or disprove it one way or the other. And furthermore, the "absence of evidence (or the presence of rather spotty evidence, in this case), is not the evidence of absence", as the saying goes.
I've heard this saying......on the Boondocks.

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Eh? Why would Claus use a Bat? I mean it's almost certain if he was included he'd be in the Masked Man form, so he would have a sword, he wouldn't need a bat. The only way he could have one is if there's a pallet swap for Lucas which is Claus' original form.

T-major

Smash Champion
I thought Lucas didn't use the bat? we haven't seen it in any Screen-shots until today, I think if he had it we would have seen it at least once... maybe the changed it...? the clip of him using the bat(stick...) was pretty fast, so it could have just been him using a Home-run bat. maybe in homage to Ness?... I don't know...

on a slightly related note; does anyone know how I could go about doing a frame by frame viewing of the video?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought Lucas didn't use the bat? we haven't seen it in any Screen-shots until today, I think if he had it we would have seen it at least once... maybe the changed it...? the clip of him using the bat(stick...) was pretty fast, so it could have just been him using a Home-run bat. maybe in homage to Ness?... I don't know...

on a slightly related note; does anyone know how I could go about doing a frame by frame viewing of the video?
Ness is out, it was proven it couldn't be the homerun bat...

Also, it's a stick and not a bat anyway...

vesperview

Smash Hero

ImageReady works, but you have to download it, just wait till it's on YouTube.

T-major

Smash Champion
Ness is out, it was proven it couldn't be the homerun bat...

Also, it's a stick and not a bat anyway...
where was it proven? I know that Ness is out. I've know that since Lucas' Special moves update; I just want to know where/when/how it was proven. also, I said that was a stick.

ImageReady works, but you have to download it, just wait till it's on YouTube.
I have ImageReady CS2, so thats good. and how do you download from Youtube... I haven't heard of a way to do that...

also, on a side note, I like Lucas' Dash attack (that forward flip thing.) it's pimp... :D

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
where was it proven? I know that Ness is out. I've know that since Lucas' Special moves update; I just want to know where/when/how it was proven. also, I said that was a stick.

I have ImageReady CS2, so thats good. and how do you download from Youtube... I haven't heard of a way to do that...

also, on a side note, I like Lucas' Dash attack (that forward flip thing.) it's pimp... :D
Hit an enemy with the homerun bat and you'll see a nice little effect thing. This didn't have that

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, you can't want Ness more than Claus if that's what you're asking, because it's obvious that the three of them won't make it.
You might want to clear that up for everyone. You need to mention that supporting any other MOTHER 3 character more than Claus is still acceptable.

Top Bottom