• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
If DK has a gimmick its the giant punch, with its super armor and low kill %s. I think the only thing keeping DK in lower tiers is his size. He can be quick, he has combos on just about everyone, he has range, he can jump high, he can control... He is just too big and too easy to combo.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, if the super armor and low kill % is dependable and always works, then it's not really a gimmick, just like the rest of his good aspects. However, I'd say the startup time and the fact that he loses his Giant Punch every time he gets hit out of his upB is what makes his punch so gimmicky. I guess his size and ability to be comboed does indeed put him where he is. However, this could all be remedied with a shield, one that covers his WHOLE body. I mean, look at Ganon. He's slower, probably has a worse recovery, and doesn't combo nearly as much, all while being just as large and easy to combo, but he actually has a shield. As DK, you have to play a large character without being hit, but your main tool of preventing yourself from being hit is a failure. I think that is what makes DK a gimmick. :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's not even super armor (Super Armor doesn't exist in Melee), it's invincibility, and it's only there for the shoulder hit anyway.

DK sucks because he can't do anything while facing his opponent and he has a really bad shield, not because he can be combo'd. Cuz jesus **** can Fox/Falco/Falcon be combo'd.

Max?

Smash Champion
I don't think DK has a "gimmick" per say, more that he is a gimmicky character who relies on his opponent not knowing the matchup to win.

Max?

Smash Champion
I've always been under the impression DK get's mercilessly *****, but I recently rewatched Bum vs Chu from one of the MLG's in 2007 and it's actually kinda jank. DK has to turtle and platform camp his *** off, but he's pretty solid at racking up damage, and if he ever gets a lead the Climbers have a hard time getting momentum back.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think it's like 6-4 ICs. Weird MU where a lot of things that you shouldn't do in every other MU are really good

Max?

Smash Champion
Dtilt, Uair, ftilt, dsmash, cargo dthrow, bthrow

All seem to come to mind

Lots and LOTs of running away and platform camping tho. Can't emphasize that enough

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Cstick buffering a jump after cargo Up throw makes grab comboing characters like Samus/Jiggz much easier

edit:

Down B is dope vs ICs btw, since they basically have no aerial approach. Half the time Nana gets hit up even if popo wavedashes into a shield, same goes for Giant Punch.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It has niche uses against shielding opponents near the ledge and other such things, but I usually prefer to do something else. It's useful in the IC's matchup for sure.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
How is down b vs the ic's? I feel it could separate them pretty well. Also as someone who does not play dk why do i hear down b is a bad move

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we were literally just talking about how it's useful against ICs and terrible against everyone else.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I didnt see the post where u talked about down b. What page is that post on b/c i am intrested to see why it sucks vs everyone else

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's this page
njzfinest mentioned it then I posted shortly after

wtf dude?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Wow, so this is the only MU in which Hand Slap is a viable move? (O_o) Also, NJzFinest, what is that at the bottom of your post? :scared:
Down B is usable vs pretty much anyone.. to some degree. I like to use it when following a tech I know I can't reach with a grab since the range on down B is pretty freaking far. People underestimate the range and practically never DI it correctly, so it's easy to follow up on. Sometimes I use it when I'm simply not sure which way someone will tech (in place or to the side). It's similar to how Sheik's upsmash can cover 2/3 of the ways someone might tech.

And my sig is birdies flying.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
I used the Down B on a shielding Capt. Falcon and it put some interesting pressure on him. He got pushed pretty far back. Don't know if it is even viable outside of a rare once a match use when your opponent is out of grab range and below a good % for f tilt, but it could still be worth exploring and learning to exploit.

Max?

Smash Champion
Phish-it uses Down B vs. everyone. Typically out of tech chases/guessed rolls. I think he may have done some jank to me once where it was like, "WD get up onstage with invincibility -> one input DownB", which was super jank, but I may have just envisioned it and am pioneering the DK metagame without even playing the game.

But yeah, he does it super infrequently cause it gets ***** and stuff

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I need about 20 more dash attacks per set IMO

I am influenced most by Mex out of any of the DKs from all the posting in this thread over the years. My playstyle is mostly my own, though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Floaty MUs are all about spacing bair, unfortunately. You can U-throw -> 1 U-air if you time it correctly at most %'s if you're fast enough.

As far as spacing against Luigi goes, you want to space just outside of his ftilt range if you can. You want to be close enough to be able to punish a WD in (due to the landlag) yet far enough to where he can't punish your own spacing. Would definitely suggest you NOT focus on trying to land grabs; I myself am very good at landing grabs against floatier characters, but that's due to years of experience in various situations so I know what players are going to do a lot of the time. Stick with bair. You can't really edgeguard Luigi all too well, or at least not quickly.
Your main focus while edgeguarding is to tack on more damage, not necessarily to kill him. Don't get too ambitious in this situation, because you don't want to die while trying to get a kill.
Platform camping is very effective against Luigi. His only real options are to uair or nair through the platform if you are quick enough in reaction.
Try not to get overwhelmed by Luigi's speed. He's fast, but his movement works in increments. If you get enough experience against Luigi you should be able to know when he's coming so you can dtilt/ftilt or retreating bair.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
How do you guys deal with Luigi? I just seem to keep getting ***** :(
The way I play luigi...Just remember, he gets almost NO horizontal distance in his jumps. When he tries to jump forward, he pretty much goes straight up. That means that he really can't approach you from the air. If he wants to attack from the air, he has to wavedash in first, then jump and attack. So you know that luigi is ALWAYS going to wavedash in. Since he has such a limited approach, just make sure a b air is waiting there every time he wavedashes. I am very good at the matchup since my brother used to be a luigi main, and I could probably go into more detail if i wasn't so lazy, but that's pretty much the jist of how to fight him. Match wavedashes with b airs.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I feel like Dr. Mario is even, Mario is slightly easier and Luigi is slightly harder than Doc, but thats just me.

Top Bottom