• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Lunch

Smash Rookie
geez that part 2 is hard to watch I know how it feels haha but good stuff man!

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! I never really played super competitively but I'm hoping to get good enough that I can compete well with DK at my local tournament scene.

I have to say I'm blown away by the skill level of the DKs here (GreenRanger, StrongBad, Ripple, CNB Chandy, Phish It you are all amazing!) I've actually read this entire thread up to this point, I think I'm obsessed with this game! Pls HALP

Lol I don't know if anyone even posts here anymore but I'm super keen for some DK discussion if any of the Kong Crew is around.

What I really wanna know is what buttons you guys use to do everything? Specifically:

Up Airs (C Stick or A?)
Bairs? (C Stick or A?)
Fairs? (C Stick or A?)
Grabs including JC grabs (Z or Shoulder button + A?)
Cargo throws (A, B or Z?)

Just wanna see the general consensus and find out if there's one method that's clearly better than the other.

Oh and DK is the coolest character in the game. Just throwin that out there even though y'all know it.

Last edited:

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
NJZ your DK is so good it makes the Falco matchup look 50/50 lol

I switched to C Stick for Uairs, Bairs and Fairs. Was hella awkward at first but now I'm used to it it's so much better! It's way easier to control where you land when doing an aerial (why did I not try this beforeeeeee) :O

Last edited:

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
I'm new to the game and I've been playing DK exclusively against my friend who mains Marth. We're at the same skill level, (spamming rolls, missing wavedashes everywhere, etc) but he keeps crushing me. How do I approach Marth, apart from baiting dash attacks then grabbing?

Also, just as a new player, advice for practicing tech skill? I try to practice cargo shff uair combos and **** like that everyday.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
NJZ your DK is so good it makes the Falco matchup look 50/50 lol
Lol unfortunately I still get bodied in that matchup vs campy players.
I'm new to the game and I've been playing DK exclusively against my friend who mains Marth. We're at the same skill level, (spamming rolls, missing wavedashes everywhere, etc) but he keeps crushing me. How do I approach Marth, apart from baiting dash attacks then grabbing?

Also, just as a new player, advice for practicing tech skill? I try to practice cargo shff uair combos and **** like that everyday.
approaching marth -> shield stops, dash dances, wavedash back baits, dtilt, ftilt, SH bair.

Dashing into a dtilt and following it up with a ftilt is a effective. Also if you whiff a SH bair, you can follow up with a ftilt. in both scenarios the ftilt can easily catch marth's counterapproach. Only works if you had good spacing on your bair.

practice wavedashing to the point where it's perfect. get used to lightshielding. learn how to Up B out of shield inbetween falco's shield pressure. master following DI on cargo combos. practice moving as fast as possible after a cargo throw. practice shield pivoting so you can get your shield out with dk's back facing the opponent (easy back airs of out shield and dk's shield doesn't get poked from behind has hard).

this combo should be muscle memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwENmdxqC8

Last edited:

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
Pivoting is dash dancing and acting on the frames that you can right?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Basically. As PewPewU's tutorial states, there is a moment where your character is standing still in between each dash input in a dash dance where you can do a move out of it.

However shield pivoting is a lot easier and more useful with DK. Basically dash forward and the very moment you dash the opposite way, put up your shield. You basically move forward keeping your back to your opponent.

I use this for 2 things. Simply to move forward and Back Air (I try act out of the shield with a SH bair asap). I also use it vs characters like Falco who would normally poke the front of my shield (lasers even poke DK's shield). With my shield facing backwards, I can absorb pressure easier or even squeeze in a Bair once they commit to an aerial move approach after a short hop laser.

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the tips, this is easily the most intimidating competitive game I've tried to pick up.

How do you land the guaranteed fair on Marth? Is it just cargo up throw -> follow di -> fair? I have no idea how to make it guaranteed.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Basically. After I cargo upthrow marth, I full jump using the control stick and immediately flight forward with the cstick to do my jump Fair as soon as possible. I know Green Ranger prefers to actually keep marth on DK's back and cargo full jump, then aerial chargo upthrow into a double jump fair.

My method is easier but his method keeps Marth closer to the KO Zones and makes sure middle platforms (ex. Battlefield, Dreamland, Yoshi Stories, FoD) never get in the way.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
However shield pivoting is a lot easier and more useful with DK. Basically dash forward and the very moment you dash the opposite way, put up your shield. You basically move forward keeping your back to your opponent.

I use this for 2 things. Simply to move forward and Back Air (I try act out of the shield with a SH bair asap). I also use it vs characters like Falco who would normally poke the front of my shield (lasers even poke DK's shield). With my shield facing backwards, I can absorb pressure easier or even squeeze in a Bair once they commit to an aerial move approach after a short hop laser.
Wow never new about this. Must try it out.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the tips, this is easily the most intimidating competitive game I've tried to pick up.

How do you land the guaranteed fair on Marth? Is it just cargo up throw -> follow di -> fair? I have no idea how to make it guaranteed.
I'm pretty sure it's % based. I find I can full hop, cargo up throw, double jump and c-stick fair when marth is around 90-120%.

Good to hear you're taking up DK too Ch0ke :)
I've only just started as well and am improving ever so slightly! I've also got a friend who uses marth and he constantly bodies me, though not AS much as he used to. Hopefully both of us can come out on top soon!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Oh I forgot to mention shield drops!

Practice shield dropping from platforms. Once an opponent hits your shield while you are sitting on a platform, you can shield drop into an immediate Uair setup.

Currently no top DK can shield drop well LOL.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Oh I forgot to mention shield drops!

Practice shield dropping from platforms. Once an opponent hits your shield while you are sitting on a platform, you can shield drop into an immediate Uair setup.

Currently no top DK can shield drop well LOL.
Do you just press down out of shield and then c stick up air straight away?

NJZ can you like... camp this thread permanently? Lol. Your info is so useful.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I use the Axe/Arizona method where you tilt slightly to the left/right, then diagonally down. Right after that I Cstick Uair.

And yes I can definitely camp this thread lol. With Mexican/RockCrock/Nedech retired, Strong Bad being bad, Ripple playing Samus/PM, and Phish-it/GreenRanger being too busy owning, I think I'm the only one monitoring this forum besides Jrad haha.

I'm going to eventually update the DK guide and add some more footage to my youtube channel.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'll see if I feel like going DK in some matches at Aftershock

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
I cannot get the window down for uthrow fair combos. It feels soo tight, like, 2/3 frames.

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
What do I do in neutral if I land a SH bair at 0%? Up b? Get out? Seems I hit it and people just mash and I take more damage and get nothing out of the bair lol

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
immediately dash JC grab since most players won't reaction fast enough after the hitstun

forward tilt also works, sometimes another Bair

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
I'm doing a little better now against the Marth matchup.

How do you edge guard Marth when he's recovering low? I cant really edge hog because he always swipes the edge before he Up Bs. I tried dropping off the ledge and UpBing a few times but I only killed him once and got stage spiked the other 2 times.

Anything else I can do?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm in Axe's pool for melee.

I will be going DK against him

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice

Use your coconut gun. It fires in spurts.

Edit: Just realised how awkward that sounds. Don't do that. Just beat him instead.

Last edited:

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
How do you guarantee you get your jump off as soon as the cargo uthrow is over? I feel like I'm doing it slow 99/100 times

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
How do you guarantee you get your jump off as soon as the cargo uthrow is over? I feel like I'm doing it slow 99/100 times
Just go into training, set the computer to evade and try the up throw up air combos until you can do it fast enough. At least that's what I do. If they hit the floor then I know I was too slow. Remember to also short hop cargo up throw if you're holding captain falcon or a spacie.

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I feel like an actual idiot. Cargo Uthrow to short hop uair seems too low to hit Marth or Roy, what the **** am I doing wrong here?

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I feel like an actual idiot. Cargo Uthrow to short hop uair seems too low to hit Marth or Roy, what the **** am I doing wrong here?
Against Marth / Roy you have to cargo up throw into FULL jump up air. They are floaties so they fly too far up after a cargo up throw.

Unless, they are on 0% when you grab them. That's the only time you short hop up air.

If you're having trouble, maybe it's to do with following their DI?

Last edited:

Ch0ke

Smash Rookie
Ok.

Yeah, I am. It's not like marvel where youj have way more time to read a tech and apply a setup. I generally get one up air then get **** all haha.

Yoship

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoship2
3DS FC
1865-3001-1257
not a huge question, but who actually uses the C-Stick in Sm4sh 3DS? I don't have a N3DS, but I only used it on my GCN controller for Brawl.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Ok.

Yeah, I am. It's not like marvel where youj have way more time to read a tech and apply a setup. I generally get one up air then get **** all haha.
Yeah it's tough hey. Are you fast falling (pressing down) after your up airs?

not a huge question, but who actually uses the C-Stick in Sm4sh 3DS? I don't have a N3DS, but I only used it on my GCN controller for Brawl.
Not sure. I don't really play Smash 3DS. Try posting on the Smash 3DS board :)

Last edited:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
For Marth and Roy, you can Cargo Upthrow from the ground into a shorthop Up Air at low percents.You can still do it around 20%. I'd say stop going for it after 25%.

GreenRanger has a very nice 0 to death clip at 1:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCp2b_jrCiw

On Marth it's so hard to time, I mess up a decent amount.

C-Upthrow, SH Uair, FH Uair to falling Uair or DJ Aerial-> follow up.

CC grab dem Pika Nairs all day

Last edited:

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
give me critique on this first match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRvDbPPMRk
I won't really give much in the way of critique cos I'm still learning the mighty Kong myself, but faaar out fighting Falcon is tough. Especially a good one. I felt for ya man. Especially in that last match with the unlucky SDs. Was the last SD intentional? If it was then remember to never give in, no matter how much the odds are stacked against you! You can always come back :)

Question though. Do you prefer smaller stages when versing Falcon? (YS, FOD). What were your stage options for counterpick?

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
give me critique on this first match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRvDbPPMRk
Very solid DK. A couple things I think you forgot to utilize is DK's awesome UpB on ledge as an edgeguard. Ledgehop Bair is good, but sometimes they are too close, so an UpB is amazing.

Also, try to remember in the matchup, Falcon can almost never sweetspot ledge with his UpB. All it usually takes to kill a Falcon is a Dtilt. If he's going low, no need to be risky. Dtilt, then edgehog if necessary.

I like the crouch Ftilt out of a run, I usually opt for the Dtilt but it makes sense using the Ftilt in the Falcon matchup due to him being airborne a lot.

I wasn't able to tell which stage he striked against you, but I would try to be careful on Yoshi's against almost all of the top tiers. It is a little cramped, and often faster characters can run circles around DK without giving you room to use his great dashdance. Against Falcon, I personally would choose Dream Land because of the survivability and the higher platforms. DK doesn't kill off the top that often anyways, especially against Falcon, so just do safe edgeguards on Falcon and the large stage acts as only your advantage.

Another trick I've found that puts Falcon in a terrible position is to do a cargo Dthrow off the ledge. Many will burn their dj immediately, which is Dtilt bait. Others will wait and try to sweetspot. Either way, it is a good position where you can take advantage of the opponent.

tl;dr great play, always fun to watch you play.

edit: Just finished watching the second game. Nerves got the best of you man, that sucks. First game, you were dominating but made just the right amount of mistakes to give him the game. The way I deal with many of the top tiers is that I remind myself how easy they can be gimped. If I'm down a stock or two or three, I just think about how fast I can turn that **** around. Not trying to be a cheesy **** right now, but it honestly helps me. Keep it up

Last edited:

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
Question though. Do you prefer smaller stages when versing Falcon? (YS, FOD). What were your stage options for counterpick?
I actually like the Falcon matchup, although both characters can body each other pretty hard.

I personally like medium stages against Falcon. Just enough space for me to dash dance and space properly, but not enough room for Falcon to kite me.

I never go Yoshi's because I can never catch a breath (plus Falcon can walljump there).

IMO DK's best stage is Dream Land, mostly because other characters tend to struggle on it. Fountain can be either amazing or terrible, depending on how good you are with using the platforms. Battlefield is a very good stage overall, a relatively safe pick. FD is a dangerous one, but it can be dangerous either way. You can nearly zero to death with chaingrabs, but you also have no platforms to escape his combos. Falcon can kite well on FD, so I usually stay away. PS is a stage that depends on your personal experience with it, similar to Fountain.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Critique my DK. It's Chronicles of Riddick-ulously good, though, so if you don't find that much I won't hold it against you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5KLwfW4Iyw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cJoeBFamg

Ended up winning this whole tournament without dropping a set. Check out how safe my play is! I get a neutral game semi-chub just looking at it. #IMPECCABLEdashdance

Take notes everybody. This is what talent looks like!

Last edited:
Top Bottom