• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Good games, Snailtopus. But I swear, our connection was way better than that before. D: Now there are lag spikes everywhere...

Sorry, my game play deteriorated as we went on. At the end there, pretty much all I was going for was like, dumb Squall Hammers and grabs. I apologize for that again, by the way. xD

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Good games, Snailtopus. But I swear, our connection was way better than that before. D: Now there are lag spikes everywhere...

Sorry, my game play deteriorated as we went on. At the end there, pretty much all I was going for was like, dumb Squall Hammers and grabs. I apologize for that again, by the way. xD

Apology accepted! I was going to say myself, I thought our connection was pretty solid the last time we brawled. So many stupid SD's, I was getting so frustrated and playing even worse because of that =[ but hey, GG's cant wait to play you again sometime

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Ughhhhhh, a lot of those matches were so laggy. X_X LMAO like for real, at times I was doing things in the wrong directions.

GGs Zork, the matches were still a lot of fun, and I had a great time brawling you. I know it's probably the lag for most, but I think I did better than before, at least. :p

Zork

Smash Apprentice
GGS SuperMetroid44.

Though the lag kind of ruined it. I don't know why I lag more with you than anyone else. You should make sure no one is using your Internet before coming on.

Incidentally playing Diddy Kong in lag is impossible for me :/

So many smash attacks unpunished as Diddy lol...I try to throw a banana than dash up grab, but the dash doesn't come out due to massive lag. You might have noticed me throwing a banana out of shield and then grabbing in place when you were nowhere near me...that's what was happening over and over.

But regardless those were great games. I like how you use a variety of characters like me.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Well you seem better than me overall so it's not surprising you won more though it is true lag ruined those matches...there was definitely a lot of stuff you were getting away with that wouldn't work if it wasn't so laggy.

So yeah I guess it's hard to tell for sure. Only if we played offline could we know how it'd really go down lol. But I think you'd still win 60% of the time or so much like you did now.

Though I think it can definitely go either way between us.

Also I didn't use MK at all this time so that probably was a factor lol.

Edit:

Oh in that case it was probably due to my end then. Weird, I played around this time yesterday and it was fine. There was lag spikes here and there but overall it was very decent by Brawl's standards.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
It's nice to see so many different characters and play styles being used and experienced. That includes MK, cuz admittedly that MU experience is what everyone needs lol. Though I was surprised he's not so common here.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Well you seem better than me overall so it's not surprising you won more though it is true lag ruined those matches...there was definitely a lot of stuff you were getting away with that wouldn't work if it wasn't so laggy.

So yeah I guess it's hard to tell for sure. Only if we played offline could we know how it'd really go down lol. But I think you'd still win 60% of the time or so.

Though I think it can definitely go either way between us.

Also I didn't use MK at all this time so that probably was a factor lol.
Lag was a factor, it's alright to admit lol If it's alright with me asking, where do you live? Sometimes it can be that we live very far away from each other that's why it lags (maybe :p).

It was the same on my side. I didn't punish your Diddy smashes as well I should of. One thing you gotta admit, lag or not, the Diddy banana play was funny as heck. I kept cracking up with all the bananas making us trip and how we kept slipping lmao

I think we're pretty much equal. :p You were using many characters, which was pretty awesome. I like when things are changed around a lot.

Snake still destroys me, I won once with Olimar, but I wanna keep practicing against him.
Your Marth is excellent I need to see more of him as well.
Me and Meta Knight don't get along, so you probably would win more with him lol

EDITEDITEDIT: AND YOUR DK, I almost forgot. I wanna battle him more too, it was fun battling DK LOL

Zork

Smash Apprentice
I'm in Ontario, Canada so if you are in the West Coast that would explain it.

Your Olimar seems to be one of your strongest characters so it's not surprising you can beat my Snake with him. That matchup imo, is in Olimar's favor slightly as well, but I don't want to make excuses, that match I just got outplayed towards the end. I need to learn to do b-reversals consistently in lag, otherwise it's my own fault if I'm getting juggled to death.

LOL that DK match. I won due to nonsense. That last stock, I don't think you were expecting a fast fall edgehog so I got the gimp off. Nobody expects heavy characters like DK to fast fall edge hog, I think it's because the tactic in general is underused. It can be tricky to learn how to do it, but once you do it, unless it's super laggy you should be pretty consistent with it.

Edit:

My Marth is random and not consistent at all. Sometimes I do well with him, other times even newer players I'll easily beat with other characters will destroy my Marth.

But then I do feel Marth is one of the hardest characters to be consistent with...unless that's just me.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
My Marth is random and not consistent at all. Sometimes I do well with him, other times even newer players I'll easily beat with other characters will destroy my Marth.

But then I do feel Marth is one of the hardest characters to be consistent with...unless that's just me.
This is also me

Zork

Smash Apprentice
This is also me

I think it has a lot to do with Marth heavily relying on tippers to get kills off. He has some of the best kill power in the game....provided you can land those tippers.

But if you can't...he has some of the worst lol.

Sure he has some none tipper options to kill like OOS up B but those are also very situational and aren't that strong relatively speaking.

And then Marth being very light and dying early means he can't exactly trade and win the war of attrition. He HAS to kill fast and not take much damage to be successful with.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I think it has a lot to do with Marth heavily relying on tippers to get kills off. He has some of the best kill power in the game....provided you can land those tippers.

But if you can't...he has some of the worst lol.

Sure he has some none tipper options to kill like OOS up B but those are also very situational and aren't that strong relatively speaking.

And then Marth being very light and dying early means he can't exactly trade and win the war of attrition. He HAS to kill fast and not take much damage to be successful with.
I think general smart play and proper spacing is what makers you successful with marh. More than just tippers, proper spacing allows you to pressure and zone with his disjoints. I like marth in the fact that hes the no BS character in that regard.

However wifi can mess with your spacing, timing, and movement and what not.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Well getting tippers off means you had precise spacing, that was what I was getting at. Which lag can definitely mess up.

But yeah, pressuring with his fairs and controlling space with them (aka zoning) is also important.

Anyway, I have yet to play you CourageHound. We should play sometime.

Edit:

I don't know about Marth being the no BS character though. Yes he rewards fundamentals more than most but he definitely has some arguably overpowered things.

Most characters don't have anything close to good as his disjointed fair for spacing. Or a frame 1 Up B that can kill.

sfoster83

Smash Rookie
It's nice to see so many different characters and play styles being used and experienced. That includes MK, cuz admittedly that MU experience is what everyone needs lol. Though I was surprised he's not so common here.

I thought he was banned from tournament play?

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Well getting tippers off means you had precise spacing, that was what I was getting at. Which lag can definitely mess up.

But yeah, pressuring with his fairs and controlling space with them (aka zoning) is also important.

Anyway, I have yet to play you CourageHound. We should play sometime.
Yes, we should. Maybe later in the afternoon today.

I don't know about Marth being the no BS character though. Yes he rewards fundamentals more than most but he definitely has some arguably overpowered things.

Most characters don't have anything close to good as his disjointed fair for spacing. Or a frame 1 Up B that can kill.
Yea, that's true.

I thought he was banned from tournament play?
That ban disn't last long at all. If you host a tournament you can choose to ban MK or not. More often than not though, he's legal.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
My main is actually Link. But I'm more successful with Ike. The only time I can truly feel comfortable with Link is if there isn't no serious lag. I play a very fast flashy, bomb sliding game with Link... and If I can't play my style with Link, then I don't want to embarrass the guy. I second Game And Watch, Ike, and King DeDeDe. And the rest are pocket characters. Except Peach! I can't play her for the likes of me!

You just have to experiment with your characters. Stop playing the game people want you to play it. Don't think of what people say and do. If Salem thought the way Nick Riddle did, then there wouldn't be a new metagame for Zero Suit Samus. I'm not going to go all deep and stuff. But what I will say is "play your own game with the character you most enjoy with." I'll use Link more next time... even though I'm playing a monster of a MetaKnight! So who are you exactly? Your name says 'Zork' I thought you're that Zork from Aib. So... who are you xD

I see. That makes sense. I definitely also prefer to use certain characters depending on how much lag there is. Oh and don't worry, I'm not going to force you to play Link against MK if you don't want to. That matchup is pretty bad. Though next time we play I probably won't be using MK much. I do enjoy playing him but I have trouble sticking to 1 or just a few characters. I used to use GnW and DDD a lot myself actually for instance.

I can pretty much play anyone in the cast except for Sonic and maybe Ice Climbers.

I'm a random online player. I don't attend offline tournaments if that's what you are asking lol.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I see. That makes sense. I definitely also prefer to use certain characters depending on how much lag there is. Oh and don't worry, I'm not going to force you to play Link against MK if you don't want to. That matchup is pretty bad. Though next time we play I probably won't be using MK much. I do enjoy playing him but I have trouble sticking to 1 or just a few characters. I used to use GnW and DDD a lot myself actually for instance.

I can pretty much play anyone in the cast except for Sonic and maybe Ice Climbers.

I'm a random online player. I don't attend offline tournaments if that's what you are asking lol.
Yeah I really hate messing up my tricks and moves... it really brothers me. :O Never knew you used Game And Watch and D3. Another underrated character! I believe Game And Watch ***** anybody offstage. His key really does justice for him.

And I mean the name... are you sure you're not Zork the Aib person? I mean this guy -------> http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Zork.ai

Edit: Don't worry about what I typed up...

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Nope, that person is not me. As I mentioned earlier I'm in Ontario Canada for starters and I had a different username on AIB.

Incidentally I think you've inspired me to start using GnW seriously. You're right, he's incredible at aggressive edgeguarding if you're good enough. And arguably at juggling as well. I love how unique his uair is, there's nothing else quite like it in the game.

As for D3 I do usually enjoy using him and I bring him out randomly at times. But it can be a bit annoying how much he can struggle at killing. At respectable percents his only decent kill option is up tilt and your opponent has to make a big mistake for that to work. I mean yeah he also has fair and bair but bair is always stale and your opponent again has to have messed up badly to be getting hit by fair a lot.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Okay... so you're not that Zork, but man you got a one heck of a MetaKnight! Comparing you to him is a big complement ^_^

Ha ha very glad I inspired you! He's more than amazing! If you get those hard reads then Game And Watch makes anyone look like cake. See... you need to stop thinking like everyone else. D3 can just gimp you or inhale you offstage and do work there, heck you can even delay his neutral air to connect with his up tilt. Honestly you need to play your own game :) Stop listening to everyone else. You're right it stales, so don't use it a lot, use it only when you need to. Simple as that my friend.

Edit: Want to brawl for while? This is my last battle and I'm done for today, I might be back tomorrow... not sure.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I have to go really soon or I would. Maybe next time you are on we can play.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I think general smart play and proper spacing is what makers you successful with marh. More than just tippers, proper spacing allows you to pressure and zone with his disjoints. I like marth in the fact that hes the no BS character in that regard.

However wifi can mess with your spacing, timing, and movement and what not.
I would agree with that, I don't really play Marth in Brawl, but he's my no BS character in Melee and P:M and he's pretty much exactly the same in Brawl, Shield Breaker and Dancing Blade are just worse.

Edit: P:M anyone?

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I would agree with that, I don't really play Marth in Brawl, but he's my no BS character in Melee and P:M and he's pretty much exactly the same in Brawl, Shield Breaker and Dancing Blade are just worse.

Edit: P:M anyone?
I would've but looks like I missed ya. Also shield breaker is awesome in brawl...

Zork

Smash Apprentice
There seems to be so many Project M players here. Maybe I should start playing that game. I tried it out a while ago, never played it much.

Deadjames later today if you are on, if you are willing to play Project M with a newbie I might oblige.

But I'd prefer to play Brawl as of now obviously.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I would've but looks like I missed ya. Also shield breaker is awesome in brawl...
Shieldbreaker is garbage offensively in Brawl it is really only good for recovery, in Melee and P:M it is a really solid edge-guarding option and because it actually slashes at angle you can hit people on platforms with it too.

@Zork: I'll play some Brawl, but you should definitely start playing P:M, as someone who is a fan of both Melee and Brawl I feel like P:M is so much more fun than both of them because it basically combines all the best aspects of both, and it's more balanced than both of them too.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Well I like Melee and Brawl both also. I guess I'll check out Project M again then. I do think it's potentially the best Smash game out right now, its biggest problem is too many constant updates imo and not enough people playing it. I'm sure the balance is much better than Melee or Brawl (though that's not saying much tbh).

I'll play Project M with you later today if I'm on then, don't worry, I do know a thing or two about the game even if I don't play it. I'm not completely green in it, I should put up a half-decent fight at least.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Well I like Melee and Brawl both also. I guess I'll check out Project M again then. I do think it's potentially the best Smash game out right now, its biggest problem is too many constant updates imo and not enough people playing it. I'm sure the balance is much better than Melee or Brawl (though that's not saying much tbh).

I'll play Project M with you later today if I'm on then, don't worry, I do know a thing or two about the game even if I don't play it. I'm not completely green in it, I should put up a half-decent fight at least.
Honestly the updates aren't that frequent, but it is technically still in the demo stage. I do agree there aren't enough people playing it though I'm stuck playing only Brawl because the Melee and P:M scene in my region is virtually non-existent.

Top Bottom