• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nu Smashboards Arena: Revival of Online - Check 1st Post!

Scraket

Smash Ace
Sorry for the ragequit, I just have absolutely no idea what to do against Lucas and I've got to go. My old friend who would smash me in this mained Lucas and Diddy so I've got WWII flashbacks pouring through. No hard feelings, you're really good.
Ggs. Also I might regret telling you this, but dk can actually infinite lucas and ness ;-;
Anyone else want to play?

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
GGS Capn. First of all Zatch if you are there I"ll play you now.

Btw Capn a bad habit I noticed you have is you start fishing for the kill way too hard when your opponent is at high percents. A lot of people do this but it rarely works. Keep in mind offline doing Smash attacks that frequently is a lot more punishable. Even online it's pretty punishable but I could only get minor punishes since I'm not that great. Better players than me will completely blow you up for that.

Do you have any advice for me as well? I'm happy to accept constructive criticism.
I was playing pretty lazily tonight lol. Admittedly, I was trying to go for easy kills at those high percents. Usually I'd try more banana stuff:diddy: or grab stuff:falco: or stun stuff:zerosuitsamus: to set up kills. If you didn't notice I had a major rolling problem as a result of my laziness lol.

I guess try to airdodge at the right time in the air. This could be because of button delay but I seemed to kill you in the air a lot. Try not to let me camp as Diddy. Your Meta knight and Snake are pretty good at not letting me camp. Your Falco could use more jab set ups to grabs or nair to jab cancel grab. If you're playing Zatch he will cream you at any possible opening. If you don't set up a move correctly then he will punish it. Try not to spam D-smash with Zamus. It leaves you open if you miss them. I used to do that to. Normally if you keep going with the back-air combo you can still hit the opponent at least in my experience.

I can't really nitpick anything with your better characters. Though the short hop to back-airs with DK you advertise pretty heavily. I just need to learn how to counter it. Some times there are ones I don't see coming. The ones I know are coming are the ones from across the stage. I just need to get out of the way.

(I don't know much about Meta knight so take this with a grain of salt) Your Meta knight needs some variety when you miss an air glide attack. I know each time you miss you neutral b. As long as you don't stay in the same spot and try to kill my shield you're fine. I can attack as soon as your open if you stay in the same spot.

Last edited:

Zork

Smash Apprentice
MK's nado can actually shield poke if your shield is low and I do it right. Admittedly, I never learned how to do this. But this is what I was hoping for at times when I'd nado and just stay on top of you instead of retreating after seeing it has been blocked. Anyway, thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind.

You can whiff punish DK's bairs (don't expect to punish them on block with most characters, if I space it well this is not possible) but it's hard to do in lag on reaction. Even offline it wouldn't be easy. But yeah, that's an option if you are looking for a counter.

And yes, I noticed your bad rolling habits, I got a number of good punishes on those. The reason I didn't commentate on those is because you didn't really have this problem yesterday so I just assumed you were just really flustered.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Haha not so much flustered as fatigued. Thats why I went Zelda so much lol. I did't really care whether I won or lost most of those. I went Diddy those last matches (or match?) because I figured you like to play against Diddy and I was about to stop.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
GGS Zatch. Your Ike reminds me a lot of GYK's Ike. You two doing mirrors would really be something. Much like against GYK, since I'm a fraud I only managed to win as MK lol. If we play again, besides the characters I showed, I'll also probably use DK, DDD, GnW and a few more. Would be interesting to see how they fair against a competent Ike.

The only advice I can give you is offline, charging Fsmashes/upSmashes and hoping I'd run into them wouldn't work nearly as well. As you probably guessed almost none of them caught me surprise but trying to air dodge through them on reaction on wifi, yeah probably not my brightest idea. But other than that you one of the best Ike's I've played and I don't know enough about the character to give you specifics.

Any advice for me?

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Good games, Zork. Getting a lot of misreads from wifi (most prominently on my turnaround jabs and cancels into something other than another jab), which is really pestering me, so I'll go ahead and stop here. Pretty solid Meta Knight. Did things right when it came to me recovering, I don't think I get gimped by Meta Knight as often as I should be when it comes to that MU. It's pretty tough, but I enjoy it. You sure held your own in it, to say the least. I really hate how I can't use my tilt stick when a banana is directly in front of me. It always makes me pick the banana up rather than doing something more useful, like actually punishing my tripped opponent. I need to practice the Diddy MU still, though. :applejack:

Most of those fsmashes were certainly misread inputs. Same to getting dash attack from a turnaround jab input, only I got that more often than fsmash. The usmashes are primarily just hard read attempts.

Last edited:

Zork

Smash Apprentice
That connection was extra laggy for you? Or do you mean wifi lag in general? Because that connection was actually pretty good on my end relatively speaking. I can't say I had too many technical errors. But then again, I'm not a buffering master like you. All the same I was happy I could play a decent neutral game for once. I think you would have 2 stocked me every game had I not had the GYK Ike practice though.

Speaking of bananas, unless I'm mistaken did you SDI on them on hit? I saw something really strange once. It looked like a banana hit you on the ground but you didn't trip, you sort of just took the hitstun. I've never seen that happen before.

Edit:

Yeah I feel people let Ike recover for free way too much. He doesn't have the worst recovery but it's fairly exploitable. Even when he's on the ledge I know certain moves can go straight through the up B below the stage tactic if you time them just right. That's why I was kind of experimenting to see what would work. I knew the surprise fall off stage spike dair would work though lol, I've done that countless times. Sure it can be teched but wifi+probably not being ready to react means it gets even great Ike players from time to time.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
That connection was extra laggy for you? Or do you mean wifi lag in general? Because that connection was actually pretty good on my end relatively speaking. I can't say I had too many technical errors. But then again, I'm not a buffering master like you. All the same I was happy I could play a decent neutral game for once. I think you would have 2 stocked me every game had I not had the GYK Ike practice though.

Speaking of bananas, unless I'm mistaken did you SDI on them on hit? I saw something really strange once. It looked like a banana hit you on the ground but you didn't trip, you sort of just took the hitstun. I've never seen that happen before.

Edit:

Yeah I feel people let Ike recover for free way too much. He doesn't have the worst recovery but it's fairly exploitable. Even when he's on the ledge I know certain moves can go straight through the up B below the stage tactic if you time them just right. That's why I was kind of experimenting to see what would work. I knew the surprise fall off stage spike dair would work though lol, I've done that countless times. Sure it can be teched but wifi+probably not being ready to react means it gets even great Ike players from time to time.
Not laggy much at all, no; I just have an overall issue with input delay when it comes to applying that with my reaction time. Makes me mistime my buffers and shields pretty often, which makes me play really weird up close sometimes. When I notice that I've gotten a wrong input/mistimed buffer, I try to roll with it and make the most out of the error, rather than panicking and going completely defensive with shields and dodges. Doesn't usually work in my favor, but I'd rather get punished for it than getting predictable with how I react to wifi's obvious misinterpretation of my inputs. :applejack:

For Diddy's bananas, perhaps it was because I went aerial just before they hit most of the time? I don't believe getting hit by a banana on the ground does anything more or less than trip you and do some damage.

Yeah, I'm really surprised I didn't get any techs off of the d-air stage spike. I most certainly went for it, but never got anything. I'm normally very consistent with my techs, even on wifi. If I'm stalling on the ledge, I'm always ready to tech an attempted stage spike. Shuttle loop cuts through Aether pretty plain and simple, and can be done reliably out of shield. Dsmash gets him if he goes too low, I think u-air and n-air can deal with it if he goes too high, and shuttle loop can pretty much punish it regardless, if you time it right.

Anywho, I'll try to give some useful advice.

Firstly, I'd say don't go for tornado so much against Ike. Not just because he has disjoints to punish it (especially usmash and f-air), but if it gets read, he can fsmash it, which, combined with the 20% knockback increase for MK getting hit out of nado, can potentially kill at around 60-70%. Depends on where you are on what stage. Using shuttle loop as an attempt to counter punishes got really predictable. I waited it out on that last game after your fsmash charge and landed an easy hyphen smash. In my opinion, MK's tilts really control Ike in the matchup. You could camp with f-air and use f-tilt/d-tilt when you land to keep Ike at bay. If he's close enough, shuttle loop would work too. Speaking of, you should cancel shuttle loop just as often (if not more often) than you go into glide (presumably to glide attack). It's not punishable by Ike unless he's facing away from MK, where he can potentially b-air you regardless. To cancel it, as soon as you take off, just press B and mash down, the latter a very small bit later than the former. MK will fastfall immediately afterwards and land with no lag, free to use any input. I like to use a tilt or a grab afterward, sometimes even another shuttle loop. Whatever suits my fancy in the situation.

I also saw one time where I grab released you, and you immediately went into shield, where I almost got a regrab. Ike just has dash attack guaranteed out of an air release on a flat stage. There's just about no use trying to even shield or dodge it against an Ike that seems to have half a wit, because it's pretty hard for any competent Ike to actually mistime it or mess of the input. iDA is pretty much second nature to us. You're better off preparing your SDI + DI if you're at kill percents and about to be hit off the ledge/towards the closest blast zone, or if it's a release onto the stage, you can just hold up so there's not as big a risk of you being put into a relatively poor position (on the ledge against Ike). If Ike ever messes anything up on the air release, you'll know before you even touch the ground. In this instance, shielding isn't a bad idea, but if Ike is dashing towards you, it's likely not because he's trying to dash attack you. Just be aware of that if an Ike is ever merciful enough to not go for iDA after the air release.

Also, you seemed to really like ledgehop airdodging, especially with Diddy. You can switch your ledge options up to recover with more... safeness. If I'm charging a smash, ledge stall then feel free to recover from the ledge, with almost any option. When you're at 100%+, ledge hopping, stalling, and ledge jumping become the most reliable options on the ledge, for most characters, all of the other options are much riskier because of how observably slow they are. Ledge attacking and ledge rolling are probably the worst at these percentages. Safest thing you can do is watch what your opponent is doing onstage. If they're distanced ideally to punish your ledge options, the biggest factor is patience. I think it's safe to stall the ledge with most characters while the opponent is at the ideal distance, unless the opponent is Sonic or Meta Knight, or a character quick enough to counter most ledge stall attempts with an aerial after running offstage. From my experience, whittling down on the opponent's patience then going for my ledge recovery is almost always better than immediately going for ledge recovery. Varies with the character, of course.

Your Snake could've cooked more nades rather than throwing them and giving me an opportunity to throw them back and use them for counter-pressure. Also use your f-tilt even more tentatively than Marth's dancing blade. You should be able to recognize when you hit a shield with f-tilt. People tend to dodge after this hit strikes their shield, so it's better to not be so reckless with it. Jab is a faster option than f-tilt again if your second hit whiffs or hits a shield, and it can be canceled into shield just as fast (if not faster) if the opponent goes aerial after f-tilt 2 hits their shield. Almost whenever you airdodge with Snake, make sure to fastfall it. It's a lot harder to punish because Snake has a pretty quick fastfall, and the sooner he can make it to the ground to get his shield up or pull a nade, the better. Be less predictable in the air, as well. If you're high enough above the stage, you can b-reverse with C4 before you b-reverse a nade pull to get a really effective double momentum switch. The initial C4 can also get you started on turning the stage into your playground while you're in the air. I don't believe I ever saw you go for aerials while you were falling from above, either. N-air is rather good if you can manage to start it early enough to have it auto-cancel following the last hit, which can be followed up with jab, f-tilt, u-tilt, nades, or a grab. Almost never use dash attack unless you're going to cancel it into a usmash, as it does have considerable ending lag. He does go into crouch, so it's harder to punish for some characters, but I believe it's almost always better to just cancel it into usmash after the dash attack hitbox comes out.

Unless you are confident in your SDI and/or tech ability, I'd say never go for a simple Cypher recovery beside the stage while Ike is near the ledge. You're going to get d-tilted, and if need be, promptly spiked again with d-air. How do you avoid this? Cancel Cypher a little before you reach stage level with a b-reverse C4 (to avoid having it plant on the side of the stage, depending on how close you are), detonate, SDI and DI up. You should go right alongside the nearest blast line (but not offscreen), and you should be out of the range for most of Ike's punishment options, unless he is willing to die trying to take you out. If your damage is too high for you to survive the self-C4 with DI alone, go for a stage tech jump -> b-reverse nade pull. Usually happens so quickly that most people don't see it coming or expect something else. You should be onstage after that, unless the opponent times a godly punish to smack you out of the knockback.

Hope this helps. I may get a tad too zealous when it comes to handing out advice sometimes. :applejack:

Last edited:

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
OK I need to play again before the Nintendo WFC goes out. So if anyone wants to play Project M sometime just tell me when

Zork

Smash Apprentice
MK's tilts were pretty much the only thing I had going that was working consistantly. I do think the matchup is pretty bad for Ike just thanks to those. Speaking of tilts, I did try to hit confirm Snake's ftilt especially instead of just blindly doing the second hit as you suggested. But you're right, I think a few times I eagerly went into it anyway. It should still be a true combo even if I slightly delay the second hit to see if the first hit or not and then react accordingly. I don't know why I don't do this more often, I actually play Street Fighter as well, so I'm well accustomed to hit confirming.

I tend to go for aerials a lot as Snake while coming down as a mixup against most people. But in this case, I guess I was too scared of trading with anything Ike had, both in the air and on the ground. As you saw, I do sometimes B-reverse, I never double b-reverse with the C4 and then nade though. I guess the option never crossed my mind. I definitely agree it's worth learning. As far as air dodging goes, fast fall air dodging is pretty much always better than regular for Snake, you're right, that was definitely a stupid decision.

Snake's dash attack is a pretty good whiff punish tool. My reasoning for not always canceling it into the up smash is because I feel this might yield a bigger punish. For instance, I'm sure if you're near the ledge and I do this instead of the regular dash attack, you probably have enough time to even go for turn around Smash attack. But if my dash attack is blocked I'll only take a grab or some jabs. In any case if you use it for strictly whiff punishing it should almost never miss or be blocked.

I know about the safer C4 recovery as Snake if you get too low, guess I brain farted and tried to force the recovery anyway. At any rate I didn't intentionally put myself in a position to recover low, I know that's suicide as Snake against any character. I can't remember how I got into the situation but it's not something I'd do on purpose. I think it was during those fall off fast fall bair stage spike attempts but I mistimed them. They were supposed to kill you (unless you teched).

Lastly, I know how to do the Shuttle Loop early cancel but I figured glide would be safer. I didn't want to risk eating a Smash attack on the way down. So you're telling me Ike can't punish the cancel? I guess he gets out of lag deceptively fast then. I'll start doing that then. Admittedly, it's an option I tend to forget about in general.

Thanks for all the advice. You reminded me a lot of options I forget to utilize in general and gave me a few new ones as well.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Lastly, I know how to do the Shuttle Loop early cancel but I figured glide would be safer. I didn't want to risk eating a Smash attack on the way down. So you're telling me Ike can't punish the cancel? I guess he gets out of lag deceptively fast then. I'll start doing that then. Admittedly, it's an option I tend to forget about in general.
That's exactly what happened the last game, though. You would've been able to powershield the usmash, from what I could tell. Going into glide is what made you eat it. Ike can't really do anything about the cancel unless you're behind his shield. He can probably get a jab off if he powershields the shuttle loop in front of him, but I'm not sure about anything else really working for him. MAYBE he can reach with jab 2? Probably not before MK can shield. :applejack:

No prob. Always glad to help, especially with one heck of a player.

Zork

Smash Apprentice
Well you are a lot better than me, especially to do so well with such a limited character. I'd even be more motivated usually after playing a player of your caliber if the servers weren't going down soon lol. I guess there's always Smash 4 if I end up getting it. You'd be somewhere at the top of the list of players online I'd want to play in that given how seemingly strong your fundamentals are. Out of curiosity do you play any other fighters? I'm mainly a SF4 player myself.

Yes, I pretty much lost the game (and an evenly matched one at that) due to that Shuttle Loop. You hadn't punished the previous ones so I did not foresee you being ready for that one. That's why I said I'm definitely going to look into the cancel option now.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Well you are a lot better than me, especially to do so well with such a limited character. I'd even be more motivated usually after playing a player of your caliber if the servers weren't going down soon lol. I guess there's always Smash 4 if I end up getting it. You'd be somewhere at the top of the list of players online I'd want to play in that given how seemingly strong your fundamentals are. Out of curiosity do you play any other fighters? I'm mainly a SF4 player myself.

Yes, I pretty much lost the game (and an evenly matched one at that) due to that Shuttle Loop. You hadn't punished the previous ones so I did not foresee you being ready for that one. That's why I said I'm definitely going to look into the cancel option now.
Thank you. I'll look forward to seeing you in the Smash 4 online community, wondering how it'll be. I'll look to be as highly ranked online as I can achieve, haha. I don't play any other fighter as competently as I play Smash, no. I also don't own any other fighters, currently. I've played Mortal Kombat 9 and SSF4 within the recent years, trying to get at least decent at both, but I really only made it that far in the latter. Haven't played it in at least three years, though, and I never really played against any non-local competition. Didn't go to tournaments for it.

Yeah, that game was quite close. I didn't go for punishing the prior shuttle loops as hard because I tried to stick to the ground to punish your glide attack landing out of a (power)shield. I would've gone for more n-air afterwards, but glide attack seemed to always cut right through whenever I tried. That transcendent priority really messes with me sometimes, so I'd rather just try to punish it out of shield, mainly. But I guess I could stay grounded and just use u-tilt or usmash to punish it more often from the front if I gather MK will go for a glide (attack) afterward. :applejack:

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
I feel like I've played you a ton over the past couple of weeks, but let's go. ;)
GGs Random I would of played a bit longer, but I have some chores to get to soon. I enjoyed the matches from low tiers to dittos, and my more feared matchups in Snake and MK lol.

Surprised you didn't try ICs this time I was waiting for it lol. Then again it was lagging some throughout our matches.

A bit more than 2 weeks, and then its over.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Ouch, that's all I can say, lmao. Good games as always, DAS.

I didn't even get a single game off this time. O_o At the beginning of certain games, things seemed to be going really well, but then you went and turn on beast mode. :p I had fun with the Marth dittos though, even if I did get whooped. If I try putting pressure on you, I run into your spaced attacks, but if I play slowly, you always choose the better option. y u so gud DAS :036:

Edit: You've got my Snake and MK down pat it seems. :O As for the ICs, sometimes I feel like I won't be able to get the chain grabs, and desynching is a bit hard to do sometimes. >.>

Last edited:

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Ouch, that's all I can say, lmao. Good games as always, DAS.

I didn't even get a single game off this time. O_o At the beginning of certain games, things seemed to be going really well, but then you went and turn on beast mode. :p I had fun with the Marth dittos though, even if I did get whooped. If I try putting pressure on you, I run into your spaced attacks, but if I play slowly, you always choose the better option. y u so gud DAS :036:

Edit: You've got my Snake and MK down pat it seems. :O As for the ICs, sometimes I feel like I won't be able to get the chain grabs, and desynching is a bit hard to do sometimes. >.>
Thanks for the compliments. You're quite dangerous yourself I got to keep pace or I'll get screwed over bad lol. I try to keep focus and not get off track, so I can keep consistency in all my matches. Really hard to do though.

I won't say I got them pat down. Its more character depended than anything. If Marth fought your MK he would likely done worse than Peach.

Snake umm its more he throws much confusion around. I usually do better with a projectile wielding character like Falco for example.

I don't do that well with Marth. I had to stay away since I'm not sure a lot of times how to approach him.

Edit: ICs aren't easy to use at all. Though hard to beat I think it takes more skill to use them than let's say Peach or ZSS imo.

Last edited:

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for compliments. You're quite dangerous yourself I got to keep pace or I'll get screwed over bad lol. I try to keep focus and not get off track, so I can keep consistency in all my matches. Really hard to do to though.

I won't say I got them pat down. Its more character depended than anything. If Marth fought your MK he would likely done worse than Peach.

Snake umm its more he throws much confusion around. I usually do better with a projectile wielding character like Falco for example.

I don't do that well with Marth I had to stay away since I'm not sure a lot of times how to approach him.

Edit: ICs aren't easy to use at all. Though hard to beat I think it takes more skill to use them than let's say Peach or ZSS imo.
No problem, I'm sure you get compliments from everyone you play. ;) That being said, I just got a compliment from DAS. I can officially quit Brawl with no regrets after May 20. ;D

I really don't enjoy Peach vs. MK, she just seems so hard to hit. :o As for Snake, I've never really liked the camping game, but sometimes I have to resort to it for a bit, hope it doesn't make our games boring. ;P You sure didn't stay away with Marth when we were dittoing, heh.

Offline is much easier to use them, but I don't go to tournament or anything, so... Anyway, I'll try to play you at least once more before the end. ;P

SmashBurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BurnAce
3DS FC
3754-8538-3606
I'm not sure if he's ok with that since I'm unable to join the room. Thanks anyway though
You can give it a go Scraket. Thanks for the games @ H HYP3R . Hope I showed some improvement this time around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom