• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The North Carolina Melee Power Rankings! Updated 8/14/14!

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
Or at least salt. And where there is salt, there is improvement.
unfortunately salt + johns doesn't equal improvement
salt + hold dat + actually think about the game is what you need
I think I've unknowingly been doing a lot of the former lately (even when you just quietly do it to yourself, johning is terrible)

edit: @behr LOOOOOOOOLLLL my ***** enrique

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. I try not to even say anything after losing.
If all my fingers somehow get broken during a match, all I'll say is "good ****".

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
That sort of negativity is the sort of thing that makes it hard for things to actually change >_> not to mention making this thread a pain in the *** to read.

If the pr panel is seriously against this we might just want to start it ourselves by making another thread. To start it out we could use the current pr's or if everyone gets together at some tournament where there's time do a giant pool for the initial ranking. These typically start by ranking everyone who's interested in REVERSE order (i.e. if Kevin wanted in, he would start at the bottom spot). That way it gets a lot of matches going right off and people have to prove themselves before eventually settling in an accurate and less volatile list. I'm not sure if we would want to do that or just start out by ranking everyone who's interested in the order we think to be most accurate.
From there it goes how you think it would and matches happen at tournies (or wherever) adhering to a certain ruleset, if player 12 beats player 10 player 12 becomes player 10, the old 10 becomes 11 and everyone below shifts down as such. There should also be some factor of cutting people based on inactivity. For example, if a player is challenged but never comes out to tournaments and is basically unplayable for that reason, they might have to be dropped from the ladder (we would need to come up with a specific definition of an "active player" to enforce; maybe a certain amount of time cannot pass without them attending a tournament).
Anyway that's how the ladders I've participated in/observed have gone. If enough people are interested I think we should make a new thread, discuss rules, and try it out.

This sounds very convoluted, but I do agree with where you are coming from.
I'm down, as long as we have enough people motivated.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Well whoever is interested in participating in this let me know somehow, if it's more than a handful we should discuss what rules we really want to use and try it out. If someone who's been involved in the community more/longer than me wants to run it that might work better, if not I'd be willing to organize it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Unfortunately I'm not going to ReSe since my spring break starts friday (or that's when my flight is)

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
We can barely all get in the same place to have a decent sized tournament and we think were gonna be able to have a dedicated round robin smashfest to figure out our top 10?

Ill try to be there when it happens...

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
We can barely all get in the same place to have a decent sized tournament and we think were gonna be able to have a dedicated round robin smashfest to figure out our top 10?

Ill try to be there when it happens...
It's a perpetually ongoing thing. There is no schedule.

enCouRaging Bear

Smash Journeyman
Well whoever is interested in participating in this let me know somehow, if it's more than a handful we should discuss what rules we really want to use and try it out. If someone who's been involved in the community more/longer than me wants to run it that might work better, if not I'd be willing to organize it.
im potentially interested but im not sure how itlll work logistically
ill do what i can though
edit: like maybe if we had some sort of weekly or biweekly where enough people showed up... anyone have that kind of capability/dedication? i think chapel hill would be the best place for it (in between raleigh and greensboro) but i can't think of a good venue for it

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Logistically, getting everyone together is not gonna be worth it unless the tourney is already big. Then how would we get everything done in time? Would we only use the top 10 currently? What about those that are off some periods like Twitch? What about people improving and wanting to challenge?

I'd rather have a system like ranking matches that absolutely(within reason) determine a person's spot. We'd make it so you could only challenge the person directly above you, and the person in 9-10th could be challenged by everyone not ranked(to help with 10th being overwhelmed somewhat pointlessly.)

I mean, this could all just be avoided if people just MONEY MATCHED FOR $5 OR UP since that's what would mostly make or break placements anyway <.<

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather have a system like ranking matches that absolutely(within reason) determine a person's spot. We'd make it so you could only challenge the person directly above you, and the person in 9-10th could be challenged by everyone not ranked(to help with 10th being overwhelmed somewhat pointlessly.)
This sounds exactly like what I'm thinking of, the only difference that I can see being you can only challenge one spot ahead.

I mean, this could all just be avoided if people just MONEY MATCHED FOR $5 OR UP since that's what would mostly make or break placements anyway <.<
Some differences are that the ladder (if it works out) would let more than 10 people participate, and the rankings would change instantly after a ladder match rather than every few months or so.

I don't know if this is a feasible idea but I'm interested in trying it. Right now it sounds like about 3-4 people may be interested, we obv need more than that to give it a go. Ideally ~10 people at least who are on a somewhat similar skill level to allow for placings to actually change.

Also I should mention I'm not really doing this because I think there's anything wrong with the PR's or the way we do them; I don't really have an opinion about that. I just really like ranking ladders and I think it could be a cool thing to have. Since Taheem brought it up again I thought there might be interest, and I'm willing to try to cultivate that. For ME personally this has nothing to do with the PR's. It just happens to be a similar system.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
We'd still have to make cutoffs like in a PR season, and amount of tourneys determines when we update.

We'll actually be eligible to update again after ReSe but we may wait until NCSU it depends on the data.

Amount of tourneys is an indicator of growth and updates basically so I wouldn't use the idea that ranking matches allows updates faster if I were you.

Hosting more/attending more should happen if you want more (accurate) updates.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
We need to just have stingers ncsu elo thing for all the tournaments just to stare at every now and then. That thing was pretty nifty.

If people just go to things they'll play each other anyway.

When I start makin money ill be nicer about handing it to players better than me for the sake of competition.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I will be accepting ranking battle matches at ReSe. I'm pretty sure I'll be leaving the state for a while afterward, so I'm a make it count. Hopefully they go better than the last round. =/

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
there's still gotta be money on the line for these

just do money matches for $5 and up and they're basically ranking matches with the amount of data we use per period.

Edit: sad ur leavin tho =(

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Take that down. Todd didn't want his picture taken, but Todd caved. =( If Todd knew you were spreading Todd's photo around, he would whip your eye out.

But lol that you use the "haxx0r" language setting on facebook.

words because nuance

BEHR

Smash Hero
Shoutouts to having a gf that wants to go shopping. looool

good **** on fifth boney at rese.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Think we've had 3 tourneys from the last update period, so it's probably worth updating again, panel willing. I don't mind waiting, but I am curious about what the people are thinkin.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Wait hasn't it been like 4 weeks lol? Why don't you do it in X amount of months or whatever? Doing it that frequently doesn't really prove anything because somebody has a bad tournament and doesn't show up to the rest and now they are off?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
well the thing is we usually update by number of tourneys, say 3-4. we opted for a smaller range of tourneys to provide "snapshots" of skill instead of going for longer and having to weight different events with the time element(adding another variable only makes it harder to rank.)

to be fair, this is going to seem really recent because we just did a partial update, but it didn't capture everything that had been done prior to that update. we mostly considered tourneys from before christmas in the past update LOL so it's really been about 3 months since we last updated.

edit: going on time is kinda meh imo because tourney frequency fluctuates often especially during seasonal breaks.

Top Bottom