• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nitpick Thread

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Correction: its the Nitpick about Captain Toad thread.
*cough* but yeah you have a point. We've gone way off topic and to think I first posted to try to break the argument only made it worse. I apologize...

But back to the topic. More nitpicks.

- Is Rosalina teleporting when she rolls or were they just too lazy to animate it?
- Tanooki Marth has the tail clipping through the cape. I know it's Smash Bros so clipping is natural but gah it's so jarring!
- I know they're trying to sell the 3DS version but can we at least get some info on Wii U exclusive modes now? We found out about Smash Run 4 months ago and I'm assuming the Wii U version comes out 3 months from now. Its time to show us something, Sakurai.
- I don't care about the 3D gimmicks since I never use it.
- She's a magical space god so I guess it makes sense
- As you said it's smash, there are far more jarring clipping issues in smash
- Probably after the 3DS version releases
- What 3D Gimmicks?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- She's a magical god so I guess it makes sense
- As you said it's smash, there are far more jarring clipping issues in smash
- Probably after the 3DS version releases
- What 3D Gimmicks?
Yeah Palutena teleports too so I guess it makes sense. At least Mewtwo had the courtesy to shift around when he rolled.

As for the 3D gimmicks, things like the Nintendogs, the Dragoon reticle, and thenew Gameboy stage. Sakurai's always saying like "Yo! This crap looks good with the 3D!" I honestly don't plan on using the 3D so I don't care. Nitpicks.

byperbam

Smash Rookie
Yes it ****ing was. It was also apparently on the official Nintendo Twitter and everything. And do you really want to swear at a velociraptor with boxing gloves?
look mr. triceratops, the site was NOT made by NOA. nintendo posted nothing about it on their twitter. some guy from /v/ went to the trouble of making a new address (smashbros.us, NOT smashbros.com) and made all the buttons on the site link back to the official site. why do you even think it was made by NOA? where did you hear it was?
im sorry for getting mangry with you, i just get really annoyed when people are spreading misinformation.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'm nitpicking the fact that nobody refers to Smash 4 as Smash U. I think it's a shameful waste of a pun opportunity, even if it only works for the Wii U version.

We will / We will / Smash U!

Also, I dislike the fact that, if we get a Falco, he might have the Landmaster final smash instead of the Arwing which would be a lot more fitting.

Sonic needs to have "I'm waaaaiting" as a taunt.

Ummmm....

That's about it, I guess.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Lucina's eyes.
Palutena's eyes.
Luigi being a funnier Mario instead of being Luigi.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
That's true to some extent, but his Smash-personality doesn't do much justice to his personality in the Mario-series.
He's awkward, silly, and cowardly [but still does ****] and the first two are represented in his attacks, the last in his facial expression.
What is it missing?

Also, I am pretty sure the Nester thing wasn't from Nintendo USA.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Only nitpick is that because Smash 4 will be on 3DS AND the Wii U, the development time has been upped. Then there's the fact that both versions won't be the same, with some features being in one but not in the other, such as Smash Run.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I dislike the colored trails and the air slicing visuals. The former is kinda overkill. It's more of a burst of color than a colored trail.

It was fun sometimes not knowing who or how someone got the KO in Melee.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I dislike the colored trails and the air slicing visuals. The former is kinda overkill. It's more of a burst of color than a colored trail.

It was fun sometimes not knowing who or how someone got the KO in Melee.
I think it's more fun to be able to piece together on-the-spot what the **** just happened. Especially since in Melee and Brawl, there were times when you never figured it out, and that's kinda lame.

Not a nitpick: I like how Soccer Balls reappear on the stage when sent over the edge.

Actually a nitpick:
— Mii Gunner's Final Smash isn't an Elemental Master knockoff.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I think it's more fun to be able to piece together on-the-spot what the **** just happened. Especially since in Melee and Brawl, there were times when you never figured it out, and that's kinda lame
Actually I take that back. I was trying to justify my dislike for the colored trail. I like the flame that flashes on the character that got the KO. But I dislike the colored trail. it's a bit hard on the eyes. We didn't really need that burst of color in previous titles. Maybe colored smoke would work best?

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Yet another series of nitpicks! This time focused only on the trailers and promotional material!

Now I don't usually outwardly support feminism, as I believe men and women should be treated equally and that neither gender should get any special privelages, but poor old Lucina! I barely know the character, yet she's treated like poo in her and Robin's trailer! Not only does she get her face pounded in by Captain Falcon, but she is reduced to yet another whimpering Nintendo chick who needs a strong guy to save her (Robin). It would have been better if Lucina could actually land a couple blows on Captain Falcon as well, especially since this is her trailer and it's supposed to be showcasing how strong she is. And it would have been better if Female Robin came to her aid instead of male Robin, as that would really turn the cliche on its head.

On that note, have you noticed that all of the interesting and unique newcomers in more recent trailers never actually do anything in the animated portions of the cutscenes? I mean, Robin just does a random pose, Palutena just looks at Link and Pac-Man doesn't actually do... Anything... What gives? I mean I know that seeing them in gameplay is probably more important, but I still want to see these characters do something cooler than what can be done in the game.

The needless teasing of characters. Dark Pit and Mr Game & Watch are easily the worst ones, since they actually appear in the trailers without any form of introduction! It's like Sakurai cares so little about these characters he just relegates them to the sidelines.

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yet another series of nitpicks! This time focused only on the trailers and promotional material!

Now I don't usually outwardly support feminism, as I believe men and women should be treated equally and that neither gender should get any special privelages
Feminism is actually believing that men and women should be treated equally and that neither gender should get any special treatment.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Feminism is actually believing that men and women should be treated equally and that neither gender should get any special treatment.
Or at least, that was the initial idea. Whether that's still true and whether or not continuing to call this ideal of gender equality "feminism" actually makes sense is another argument entirely, and not really the purpose of this topic.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
Or at least, that was the initial idea. Whether that's still true and whether or not continuing to call this ideal of gender equality "feminism" actually makes sense is another argument entirely, and not really the purpose of this topic.
Equimascufemism

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924

Now I don't usually outwardly support feminism, as I believe men and women should be treated equally and that neither gender should get any special privelages, but poor old Lucina! I barely know the character, yet she's treated like poo in her and Robin's trailer! Not only does she get her face pounded in by Captain Falcon, but she is reduced to yet another whimpering Nintendo chick who needs a strong guy to save her (Robin). It would have been better if Lucina could actually land a couple blows on Captain Falcon as well, especially since this is her trailer and it's supposed to be showcasing how strong she is. And it would have been better if Female Robin came to her aid instead of male Robin, as that would really turn the cliche on its head.
I've learned not to expect very much feminism, or gender equality, from Nintendo, but the sad thing is that even if we did see gender equality in games we wouldn't be able to recognize it for what it is. We're so programmed to see women as victims that we see it no matter what, regardless of whether or not it's actually there.

For example: Regarding Lucina's treatment, she actually fared a lot better than Chrom did. Chrom got bodied before the video actually starts and was lying on the ground. He was actually being protected by Lucina, and that actually does turn the cliche on its head. At least a bit. Robin still steps in and saves Lucina. So the cliche was subverted, if only briefly, yet nobody seems to notice.

See, guys need to be rescued all the time in fiction. Look at Dragon Ball Z. So much of the series is "let's stall the bad guys until Goku shows up to save us from <villain of the week>". Usually while they're stalling there are many terrible things that happen to the supporting cast. Yamcha gets killed, Krillin gets killed, some other guys get killed, maybe even Vegeta gets killed... Even if nobody dies before Goku shows up, his friends are still in such rough shape that he has to toss them a senzu bean just so they can use their legs again.

Link saves Darunia, Fox saves Falco (and the rest of his team), Darth Vader saves Luke... and nobody gets offended. It's only for females that this "how dare you save me" mentality exists. That said, it's not completely unjustified and not nearly as hypocritical as it might seem, because the circumstances behind such rescues are often completely different. Darunia was on his way to defeat Volvagia when he suddenly needed rescuing. Falco was in the middle of fighting when he suddenly got a bogey on his tail that he couldn't shake. Luke showed a certain amount of character in resisting the lure of the Dark Side before Palpatine decided to force-zap him to death. Meanwhile, Princess Peach usually doesn't put up a meaningful fight (not counting any game where she's playable and therefore capable of beating Bowser or Smithy or whoever), and when she does resist her struggling is usually futile. In these cases, Men (who aren't Yamcha) show strength before being defeated, while the women (and Yamcha) show weakness before being defeated.

Let's face it: we laugh at Yamcha. Therefore it stands to reason that Peach is in a laughable position too, even if most players don't actually laugh at her.

That said, if we do accept that as a reasonable difference, then we have to see Lucina in a different way. She's more like Krillan waiting for Goku show up, instead of Peach waiting for Mario, because she was showing some amount of strength before needing Robin to step in. She wasn't strong enough to beat C. Falcon, or at the very least the video sells Falcon as being powerful, but I still feel the need to give credit where it's due.

On that note, have you noticed that all of the interesting and unique newcomers in more recent trailers never actually do anything in the animated portions of the cutscenes? I mean, Robin just does a random pose, Palutena just looks at Link and Pac-Man doesn't actually do... Anything... What gives? I mean I know that seeing them in gameplay is probably more important, but I still want to see these characters do something cooler than what can be done in the game.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I kinda wanted to see Palutena do some awesome cutscene stuff, but it's all gameplay.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Yeah, but we don't know how well Chrom faired compared to Lucina. For all we know he put up a really good fight against Cap.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, but we don't know how well Chrom faired compared to Lucina. For all we know he put up a really good fight against Cap.
No one can put up a good fight against :4falcon:.

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
Meta Knight's new picture on the website looks so forced and ugly just to get his wings in the picture, or more of him. Everyone else has a nice neat close up and his is just 'HERP-DERP I'M META-KNIGHT LOOK AT MY WINGS' and I hate it.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
The new sound effects for some of the more stronger moves really bug me. They have a strong crunch like sound to it and it sounds weird to me. I like Brawl and Melee's sound effects better.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
And it would have been better if Female Robin came to her aid instead of male Robin, as that would really turn the cliche on its head.
That idea really stood out to me. Female Robin appearing first would've been cool and a nice change.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Palutena not showing her expressions yet
The paint swipes in the results screen are the same for each box
No Fire Emblem items (yet?)

AND TO ANTI-NITPICK:
Pac-Man using Mappy's trampoline
Doc. Louis in Mac's victory pose
Villager using Balloon Fighter's balloons

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
I've learned not to expect very much feminism, or gender equality, from Nintendo....
Female representation is a fairly prevalent problem in gaming. Though if you ask me, Nintendo is light-years ahead of other big companies in terms of representing women. They are far from perfect, obviously, but the fact that Nintendo's e3 presentation this year featured more female characters than every other company combined speaks wonders.

Nintendo obviously isn't outwardly feminist or anything, but they at the very least seem to understand the practical benefit of having a decent cast of diverse female characters. Just about every franchise has a handful of awesome female characters.

Incidentally, I do agree that Lucina being rescued by Robin is harmless gesture without any obvious troubling gender stuff. If anything it's the ideal way to show how a female character can be both capable AND require help. Nintendo could have went the extra mile in subversion and shown Female!Robin swooping in for the rescue instead of Male!Robin, but eh, no biggie.

Oh, and as for my completely unrelated nitpick:

"Rosalina & Luma" should be called just "Rosalina". The "& Luma" part feels awkward and out of place. I get that Luma is important to her moveset, but I don't think it deserves to be mentioned alongside her during the character select. We all know that smashers will just call her "Rosalina" anyways.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Not that I expect any of the dev team to read this, even though this is the largest Smash forum on the net, but I want to preface. The graphics and image quality are phenomal, the art direction is sublime, and the frame rate is apparently already rock solid.

I think some less favourable images we've seen (Luigi's nose at reveal, Fox's teeth, Skyworld textures and some geometry) are just old but also because of the limitations of the hardware, especially if it really is 1080p. graphically it isn't drop-dead gorgeous amazing, but it is still quite stellar. With that said, some of the textures look low-res, there are sharp edges showing a lack of tesselation, and there's a little strangeness. Should Zelda's hair be clipping her dress and body? Yeah it's a fighter with clipping part of the game but this is a full-time part of her character model and it was noticeable in the Direct (loved the Fairy Fountain remix by the way.)

Mario Kart 8 spoiled us in a lot of ways like character models but Smash appears to have far superior image quality, like it will still look great blown up a 60'' 1080p television. Game still looks great, just not as great as MK8 in terms of raw graphics.

Last edited:

SIN Shinryu

Smash Cadet
About the Nintendo/Feminism thing, at least we get princesses who can kick ass and have their own stories, a bounty hunter that plays by no one elses rules but her own (even if she is kinda sexualized, but I like her outfit so meh), a LOT of female characters in Hyrule Warriors, pretty equal representation in Animal Crossing (they obviously support a bunch of that stuff in that game. Like, a ton. "It's the 2000's, guys are wearing make-up! I say deal with it!" as a quote) and almost every newcomer having at least a female form or being a female.

They could just be like Ubisoft and say some bull**** like 'lol it's harder to make girls'.
You go Nintendo, you go.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I think people take gender and race too seriously sometimes.

Rosalina and Luma should just be Rosalina.

Why does black Greninja have an orange tongue?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
My nitpicks:
Reset Bomb Forest doesn't seem to have any remixed music, (Seeing how it's the reset bomb air theme and Dark Pit theme).
Dr Wily's Castle being on both systems
The Same pose is being used for Wii Fit Trainer. (C'mon, she is flexible. *rimshot*)
Peach's render bothers me.
Pikachu's render isn't fun loving.

And worse of all:Viridi being a "cardboard cut-out" on the Reset bomb forest stage. :glare:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
For the record, I don't particularly care about gender or race in Smash Bros. I just think that Female Robin saving Lucina would have been a bit cooler. Also, girl Robin's voice sounds way cooler than male Robin's.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm really bothered with people making Robin's Final Smash (PairUp with Chrom) look less awesome and more of humiliating than it is. Sakurai could have really used to portray Chrom as a Final Smash perhaps with more dignity to the character instead of rushing it just to the end of the trailer - heck, could have just altered the trailer's script with the to show the surprise in an actual cutscene motion.

Captain Falcon getting sucker punched by Chrom through Robin's aid and getting wrecked after being shown as something close to an ultimatum of a Smash Bros-fighter would have made more satisfying ending that makes sense to the game instead of the rather fandom-pandering and mean-spirited loser ending. It's not making me take Robin's FS and Chrom's fate in Smash Bros positively at all.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Female representation is a fairly prevalent problem in gaming. Though if you ask me, Nintendo is light-years ahead of other big companies in terms of representing women. They are far from perfect, obviously, but the fact that Nintendo's e3 presentation this year featured more female characters than every other company combined speaks wonders.

Nintendo obviously isn't outwardly feminist or anything, but they at the very least seem to understand the practical benefit of having a decent cast of diverse female characters. Just about every franchise has a handful of awesome female characters.

Incidentally, I do agree that Lucina being rescued by Robin is harmless gesture without any obvious troubling gender stuff. If anything it's the ideal way to show how a female character can be both capable AND require help. Nintendo could have went the extra mile in subversion and shown Female!Robin swooping in for the rescue instead of Male!Robin, but eh, no biggie.
I agree with the fact that Nintendo is doing better than many of its contemporaries as a whole, but at the same time Super Princess Peach happened. Nintendo is a large company, and without anyone going out of their way to enforce an overall vision you're going to get a diversity of opinions, some more progressive than others. I guess it's just random what you'll get from them, which is why I don't expect it. They've done both good things and bad things over the years, which is a big improvement over those who have only done strictly bad things.

"Rosalina & Luma" should be called just "Rosalina". The "& Luma" part feels awkward and out of place. I get that Luma is important to her moveset, but I don't think it deserves to be mentioned alongside her during the character select. We all know that smashers will just call her "Rosalina" anyways.
Yeah that annoys me, too.

Top Bottom