• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nitpick Thread

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
No, no, this thread isn't to hate on the game. It's for mere criticism purposes. I don't want any character bashings of any sort.

With that out of the way, I'll explain this thread's purpose. You know those little things (or lack of things) in a game where it won't affect the overall experience, but will still bug you. Maybe it''s the way a certain object or character looks, or something of the sort. This is where you can vent out all those feelings. Oh yeah, and please no arguments, let's try to keep things orderly.

There was a thread earlier about disappointing things in this game, so if this thread is too similar, I'll let the mods take action.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The fact that title is "Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS" when it should be "Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U/3DS". It's more clever that way.

Stenton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stenton
3DS FC
5241-1897-2572
The 3DS Main Menu irritates me.

Why did they put a random rectangle on the right? They should mixed it with the "Smash", "Smash Run" and "Games and More" options.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's nose clipping onto the white part (where it says Nintendo 3DS) on the boxart for the 3DS version. It's so minor, but it bothers me so much. Please fix. Please.

The Toon Link switcheroo on Spirit Train. Either allow two totally dissimilar Links on-screen or there shouldn't have been a conductor Link there in the first place.

Ellipsis

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS

Why are the names not consistent?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon's teeth being visible. Sure it makes him look more human and emotive but somehow it just looks "off" to me.

Booster

Smash Lord
No, no, this thread isn't to hate on the game. It's for mere criticism purposes. I don't want any character bashings of any sort.

With that out of the way, I'll explain this thread's purpose. You know those little things (or lack of things) in a game where it won't affect the overall experience, but will still bug you. Maybe it''s the way a certain object or character looks, or something of the sort. This is where you can vent out all those feelings. Oh yeah, and please no arguments, let's try to keep things orderly.

There was a thread earlier about disappointing things in this game, so if this thread is too similar, I'll let the mods take action.
DUDE YOU RIPPED MY THREAD OFF!!!!
Nah just kidding, do what you want. I don't like the way Lucina looks, she looks dead in this game, whereas in her reveal trailer and Awakening she looked perfectly alive.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
The 3DS version in general minus Smash run

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Luigi's artwork. It's funny... but he deserves better.

Bowser's FS should better represent the character, not the Smash franchise.

But most of all...

Palutena's expressions. She's got so much personality to give, but looks awful in Smash.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yoshi's nose clipping onto the white part (where it says Nintendo 3DS) on the boxart for the 3DS version. It's so minor, but it bothers me so much. Please fix. Please.
Little Mac's hair is doing it too! I'd be fine if the effect was more pronounced, but it gives me that feeling like if you were putting books on a bookshelf, and then you need one more book to make everything fit perfectly

D

Deleted member

Little Mac's hair is doing it too! I'd be fine if the effect was more pronounced, but it gives me that feeling like if you were putting books on a bookshelf, and then you need one more book to make everything fit perfectly
You're right. Mac's hair clips too.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
You're right. Mac's hair clips too.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
See?! See!?! But then if it were the other way around, the 3DS banner thing would clip them, and also be weird aesthetically!!! Move Little Mac to the left more, Marth can stop being a homophobe. Move Yoshi up and to the left, there's no food so he and Kirby should be fine together before the game actually starts

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Also something that I find weird is that Pit has so much space on the 3DS cover. I'd rather it went to someone more notable, but opinions are everything, and Sakurai did work hard on KI:U so I can't really complain

Also the way Pit says Lady Palutena in the anime shorts and Smash intro. Why are you saying it with a country twangle

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Luigi's official artwork. Luigi never does anything remotely resembling that in the Mario series. I mean seriously, what even is it supposed to be?
And to make it worse, it isn't just in the artwork. That dumb pose is everywhere; in his taunts, in his victory animation, everything.
They are blatantly disregarding Luigi's canon personality and instead are making him essentially a 'weird, trippy Mario'.

The official artwork pose should have his trademark nose touch, which he often does in the Mario RPGs and main series alike.
That, or something Luigi's Mansion-esque, where he looks a little frightened.
Pretty much anything but this bizarre Michael-Jackson-dance-move Luigi, frowning slightly and emptily staring off into the distance.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I got a couple of nitpicks.

1. Like everyone has said the name is not good I think Super Smash Bros 4 would have been better.
2. Hate that :4sheik: and :4zelda: have the same final smash.
3. Don't like :4tlink: being a clone when he could have a new moveset :4lucina: at least makes sense as a clone of :4marth:.

4. Also the Wii U version being limited in some ways because of the 3DS version.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
-Bowser's mouth always being open annoys me, it's like he accidentally gave himself a shot of botox in his lips.
-Little Mac, while being awesome, has a little bit of an awkward model. I say make his eyes bigger and fix whatever the hell is going on in his legs 0_0
-Palutena should be as expressive as Dedede, especially considering her artwork and personality in KI:U
-No Rock Pikmin in Olimar's moveset when he already has Winged Pikmin bothers me a lot
-Peach's eyes seem too small when compared to her other recent models
-Villager doesn't have his Fishing Rod when that is one of the most iconic things from Animal Crossing but he has 2 moves that involve turnips and 2 moves that involve his slingshot

PHEW! glad I got that off my chest

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
More:
-Bowser's Final Smash should represent Bowser, not Melee.
-Rosalina's official poster. Mostly because of Wii Fit Trainer; she feels out of place. Samus should have been there instead, or something.
-Villager needed the Fishing Rod somewhere in his moveset. Also, the twig, bowling ball, and boxing glove moves are unnecessary and unimportant to the Animal Crossing series.
-Olimar needs Rock Pikmin. Somewhere. It just seems unfair to snub one of the main Pikmin types.
-Palutena should be much more expressive. It feels like wasted potential, based on what I've seen from Uprising.
-The fact that, on the Wii U Boxart, every character is well-rendered and incorporated into the dynamic scene - except for Wii Fit Trainer, whose character render from the website is pasted in the back.

Also little things like Rosalina's up special. If your going to call it 'Launch Star', make it look like a launch star!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I think the Luigi belly flop pose can be dated back to Super Mario World

Sorry for the image of Mario with the cape, imagine a Luigi version of that without a cape since I couldn't find one haha. It's still a weird pose, but there's some backstory for you. The noise Luigi makes in Melee and Brawl while doing that during his victor is from Super Mario World too

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
- Diddy's gross human hands.
- Sheik not having her Hyrule Warriors design.
- Smash Run being overhyped. Yeah I've played it and enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away and I doubt it will the second time.
- Rosalina's Pallet Swaps not changing hair color (this really bothered me for some reason...)
- No Fire Emblem items.
- Zero information on Peach since she was announced.

- "nitpick" and "thread" in the title aren't capitalized....

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina's Final Smash.

It might have it's uses and I know I won't see it a lot regardless, but it's incredibly underwhelming and it mostly bothers me from a thematic standpoint. It's like if Sonic's Final Smash was an Electric Shield or something. Power Stars are a generic item in the Mario series, and are even an Item in Smash. They have no specific association with Rosalina. At the very least, it should have been a Grand Star, since that's always her emblem in spin-off games and in 3D World, and Grand Stars are actually gigantic in Super Mario Galaxy, but Power Stars are not.

And really, her Final Smash should have incorporated the Comet Observatory. I was hoping for something like Mega Man and Captain Falcon's Final Smash, where they have a specific mini cutscene for their Final Smashes. For Rosalina, it would have made even more sense, since they had an actual cutscene from Super Mario Galaxy as reference:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
  • I don't like "randomized" stages. You know, ones that have different appearances based on a RNG? Stages like Boxing Ring, Tomodachi, Tortimer's Island, Spirit Train, the unnecessary third versions of Spear Pillar and N's Castle, etc. Seems they just do it for the sake of doing it, but it adds nothing and is more messy than anything, in my opinion. The feature is fine as a unique gimmick for a few reserved stages, but when it's just there for no reason, it feels tacked on and not worth it.
  • Twig and bowling ball, but no fishing rod in Villager's moveset. The Lloyd Rocket too. Just...why? It makes no sense.
  • No Rock Pikmin. They're my favorite type, too! Those little guys are so useful in Pikmin 3.
  • Sonic's 16-bit sprite in Pac-Man's official banner. Sonic had a bunch of 8-bit games they could've used instead.
  • Pit being on both of the new games' box arts, while DK is only on one.
  • Luigi's personality in Smash. Never liked it. He's "weird" and "gloomy" for the sake of being "not Mario". That's nothing like his personality in the Mario games. He's just as chipper as his brother is, not some hallucinogenic, depressive clown living in his brother's shadow.
  • Zelda having brown hair. She had blond hair with brunette streaks in Twilight Princess. Why make it brown in Smash if they're using the Twilight Princess design?
  • Lucario's moveset being more "graceful martial artist" than "rushdown brawler", despite the anime portraying him as the latter.
  • Lucario having dialogue as well. He should just be a generic Lucario, like Pikachu is a generic Pikachu, and not the one from the movie, which is old and irrelevant now anyway.
  • Perhaps not a SBB4 nitpick, but in Brawl, Lucario had a color swap that changed nothing other than making his torso fur blue. Not only was this a total waste of a color slot, but despite having even more blue on it than the default color, the default was used for the Blue Team anyway. What was the point?
  • Greninja's black coloration isn't a 1:1 recreation of its shiny form. I don't see why every Pokemon can't just have their shiny variation as a color swap. I mean, I don't particularly care, but what confuses me is why they wouldn't just use the shiny coloration, knowing that he had already had a perfectly good black design to use? Why make their own?

Gravitational23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gravitational23
All of the kid icarus stuff I understand sakurai made the latest game but it gets annoying.Also fox isn't on any of the box arts and pit is.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Palutena's animations. Her hair especially is incredibly stiff, which doesn't really match the other female characters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Palutena's animations. Her hair especially is incredibly stiff, which doesn't really match the other female characters.
I do find that extremely odd, as she is one of the few characters with separate parts to her hair, yet Rosalina and Peach manage to have beautiful and incredibly flow-y hair despite it all being one physics object.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm not a big fan of all the kid Icarus in the game. I might be biased since I've never played any of the games (and I hate pit in brawl) but it really feels like it's only because sakurai made uprising.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Palutena looking like a barbie doll. They should have made her looked more like her Anime/Uprising look. They also did not make her flirty enough.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
  • I don't like "randomized" stages. You know, ones that have different appearances based on a RNG? Stages like Boxing Ring, Tomodachi, Tortimer's Island, Spirit Train, the unnecessary third versions of Spear Pillar and N's Castle, etc. Seems they just do it for the sake of doing it, but it adds nothing and is more messy than anything, in my opinion. The feature is fine as a unique gimmick for a few reserved stages, but when it's just there for no reason, it feels tacked on and not worth it.
  • Twig and bowling ball, but no fishing rod in Villager's moveset. The Lloyd Rocket too. Just...why? It makes no sense.
  • No Rock Pikmin. They're my favorite type, too! Those little guys are so useful in Pikmin 3.
  • Sonic's 16-bit sprite in Pac-Man's official banner. Sonic had a bunch of 8-bit games they could've used instead.
  • Pit being on both of the new games' box arts, while DK is only on one.
  • Luigi's personality in Smash. Never liked it. He's "weird" and "gloomy" for the sake of being "not Mario". That's nothing like his personality in the Mario games. He's just as chipper as his brother is, not some hallucinogenic, depressive clown living in his brother's shadow.
  • Zelda having brown hair. She had blond hair with brunette streaks in Twilight Princess. Why make it brown in Smash if they're using the Twilight Princess design?
  • Lucario's moveset being more "graceful martial artist" than "rushdown brawler", despite the anime portraying him as the latter.
  • Lucario having dialogue as well. He should just be a generic Lucario, like Pikachu is a generic Pikachu, and not the one from the movie, which is old and irrelevant now anyway.
  • Perhaps not a SBB4 nitpick, but in Brawl, Lucario had a color swap that changed nothing other than making his torso fur blue. Not only was this a total waste of a color slot, but despite having even more blue on it than the default color, the default was used for the Blue Team anyway. What was the point?
  • Greninja's black coloration isn't a 1:1 recreation of its shiny form. I don't see why every Pokemon can't just have their shiny variation as a color swap. I mean, I don't particularly care, but what confuses me is why they wouldn't just use the shiny coloration, knowing that he had already had a perfectly good black design to use? Why make their own?
I agree with every one of these!
-I agree that Lloyd Rocket is sort of bizarre and out of place. (I think it should have been a move called 'Redecorate', in which Villager tosses out a leaf that turns into a piece of furniture upon contact)
-16-bit Sonic on Pac's poster bugged me too. Honestly, it could have been omitted simply for aesthetic purposes.
-Completely agree about Luigi's personality, they really botched that up in Smash
-Zelda really should have blonde hair. She is blonde in pretty much every Zelda game - its iconic. Why Sakurai chose to give her brown hair is beyond me.
-Every Pokemon should have their shiny form as a palette swap. I too was annoyed by Greninja's black color not quite being its shiny form.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I agree with every one of these!
-I agree that Lloyd Rocket is sort of bizarre and out of place. (I think it should have been a move called 'Redecorate', in which Villager tosses out a leaf that turns into a piece of furniture upon contact)
-16-bit Sonic on Pac's poster bugged me too. Honestly, it could have been omitted simply for aesthetic purposes.
-Completely agree about Luigi's personality, they really botched that up in Smash
-Zelda really should have blonde hair. She is blonde in pretty much every Zelda game - its iconic. Why Sakurai chose to give her brown hair is beyond me.
-Every Pokemon should have their shiny form as a palette swap. I too was annoyed by Greninja's black color not quite being its shiny form.
I don't get the sonic thing. There hasn't been an 8 bit sonic, his first game was 16.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I don't get the sonic thing. There hasn't been an 8 bit sonic, his first game was 16.
Game Gear Sonic was in 8Bit I think. Not like anyone cares about those games though. 16 Bit is fine.

Top Bottom