• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nitpick Thread

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Game Gear Sonic was in 8Bit I think. Not like anyone cares about those games though. 16 Bit is fine.
That's right, it looks really bad though. And no one remembers sonic that way.
The Pac man picture wasn't about 8 bits anyways, it was each characters first appearance.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
The overuse of Green and Blue in the character portrait backgrounds on the Smash Bros site.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Luigi's artwork. It's funny... but he deserves better.
Ya got a good point with artworks, man.
I don't like DKs. His "mouth" looks like a beak from the Duck Tales or something. It's too thin. And the pose is weird. Otherwise it looks good though, like the colors.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Pit's voice, the probability of not having a language select, the risk of Marth speaking English, and capsules looking so fat and stupid instead of slender and likely-to-contain-a-bomb.

Mitochondria-Eve

Smash Rookie
For me, the game looks a little bit too much like Brawl. Not gameplay wise, but aesthetically. In my opinion, the game has a very similar style to Brawl, only more colorful. But that's probably just me, and it's not a serious issue.

Greninja's voice also kinda' bothers me. It's not a huge problem, but it sounds a bit too much like Stitch for my taste. Which sucks, because I'm not a big fan of Stitch.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
- Kid Icarus Uprising 2.0
- Donkey Kong's fur
- Little Mac's awkward stance
- Lack of Pikmin, Star Fox, and Metroid representation. Not just with characters, but everything else, too
- Charizard's edgy model
- Bowser's drop kick (I feel like I'm the only one....)
- Pit was included in the introduction trailer instead of FAR more important characters to Smash such as Ness or C. Falcon
- GRENOOOOO!! quickly gets on my nerves

Just a few quick things.

Niala

Smash Ace
Yoshi's nose clipping onto the white part (where it says Nintendo 3DS) on the boxart for the 3DS version. It's so minor, but it bothers me so much. Please fix. Please.
oh my god why would you point this out to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee???????????
brb crying

Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS

Why are the names not consistent?
This is because of the official titles for the systems are "Wii U Console" and "Nintendo 3DS." It's consistent within their naming scheme, even if it looks funny from the outside.

-Rosalina's official poster. Mostly because of Wii Fit Trainer; she feels out of place. Samus should have been there instead, or something.
I didn't realize I had a problem with this until right now.

The only little thing that annoys me is the character expressions. Lucina, Palutena, etc. look incredibly expressionless most of the time, but things like screen KOs and characters getting pummeled are incredibly over-the-top. It feels incredibly inconsistent, lacks personality, and, quite frankly, looks terrible.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Fox and Geninja's voices sound like they'll get really annoying really fast.

The overuse of Green and Blue in the character portrait backgrounds on the Smash Bros site.
And this. SOOOO much this.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
- Fox's and Greninja's voice
- Overrepresentation of Kid Icarus
- Underrepresentation of Metroid (to a lesser extent, F-Zero, Earthbound, and Star Fox)
- Twilight Princess designs for Zelda and Link
- Lack of items / assists for franchises (pretty much every franchise that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokémon or Kirby)
- Toon Link and Shiek keeping their final smashes that they share with other characters, but Luigi getting a new one
- Seeing people hate on Jigglypuff

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Luigi's artwork. It's funny... but he deserves better.

Bowser's FS should better represent the character, not the Smash franchise.

But most of all...

Palutena's expressions. She's got so much personality to give, but looks awful in Smash.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Luigi, that bugged me. Something irks me about Peach's render as well, she looks fine, but there's just something about that art that I just don't like...

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Luigi, that bugged me. Something irks me about Peach's render as well, she looks fine, but there's just something about that art that I just don't like...
Same here. Here hair is way to gold. It annoys me that her artwork doesn't match her character model.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
  • Mario's final smash
  • Rosalina & Luma's final smash
  • Link's final smash
  • Sheik's final smash
  • Toon Link's final smash
  • Toon Link's moveset in general
  • Fox's final smash
  • Giga Bowser
  • The frequent Yellow Devil attacks
  • The amount of Kid Icarus items compared to franchises like Star Fox, F-Zero or Yoshi.
  • Lucina not having at least a few different moves like Toon Link
  • Customizable Movesets in general. Too much for a Smash Bros. game and kind of pointless. Especially when they are making changes like "fast fireball" or "fire orb". And it looks like all of Mac's standard B variants either engulf them in flames or shock them.
  • Completely unnecessary to make such unneeded changes to the standard moves for the sake of having something different.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Stage bosses, why are they there? If Yellow Devil is annoying rather than an exciting aspect what reason do they have to be there besides changing what would otherwise be a perfectly good neutral stage. (Megaman's stage comes to mind)

I hope there is an option to turn them off seeing as many people in the community have said bosses like the yellow devil are freaking annoying.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
DUDE YOU RIPPED MY THREAD OFF!!!!
Nah just kidding, do what you want. I don't like the way Lucina looks, she looks dead in this game, whereas in her reveal trailer and Awakening she looked perfectly alive.
I have to agree. Recent screenshots have been better but her trailer didn't show her in the most flattering light.

I hope that texture is fixed.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Saw alot of people being nitpicky about the boxart. What bugs me is how all of the characters got new original artwork for the boxart except for the Wii Fit Trainer who uses the same artwork from her character page and the pose makes her look so out of place.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
- Lucina being more cloney than any clone so far in the series.
- Laziness in Final Smashes and decloning Toon Link
- The look Smash Run Power Ups.
- Sakurai's wife's terrible ability to make an aesthetically pleasing menu.
- Too many "travel" stages. As if they couldn't make up their minds about where a stage takes place.
- JC not understanding how DI works and commentating about it.
- Too many counter down-b's.
- Sandbag not behaving like a normal character during high knockback.

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
-No final destination versions of some stages. How do you make a final destination version of the Great Fox?
-Mario's neck when he gets Screen KOd.
-Too many gimmicky or moving stages.
-Kirby's grey and white costume was missing in the demo.
-Smash Run is always 5 minutes long.
-LANDMASTER!

chronomantic

Smash Ace
The lack of a title annoys me a bit. Calling it 'Smash 4' or S4 (I'm not even sure what's the name that stuck) is not catchy at all. It looks like a lazy plug for the Wii U.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
1. Lack of Dark Pit (or the notion that he is a costume in the event of his non-inclusion).
2. Link's model (his face on the Wii U version) is the most repugnant and abhorrent design I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing. Please gouge out my eyes and call it a day.
3. Lack of observable innovation (aside from Smash 3DS). The innovation present is attenuated through unnecessary restrictions.
4. The worldwide release, or lack thereof.
5. Fox's voice.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's Nose
The fact that we expect a Pic of The DAY but instead we get a Pic of The "day" *cough

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Nitpicks? Hoo boy, I got a lot of them.

- It should have been called Super Smash Bros. Clash or Rumble or something epic like that. I would even take Super Smash Bros. 4.

- There's too much Kid Icarus stuff in this game.

- Why is there no new victory themes? Hopefully they change that in the final game because Brawl's victory themes were really terrible compared to Melee's except for a select few. However, I don't want the Melee victory themes, I want NEW victory themes, come on Nintendo!

- Why is Mario's idle animation the same as Brawl's? -.-

- I hate Luigi's pose in his artwork. I mean seriously why'd they make him look like such an idiot? Luigi's cool. Brawl one looked better.

- I was hoping they would change the series icons (EX: Mushroom for Mario, Triforce for Link, etc.) Like they did from Melee to Brawl.

- I wish the website still had the descriptions and stuff for the characters and an overview of their moves.

- Did they really need to make Toon Link's dair pass through the opponents instead of bounce? -.-

- Pit's new voice is really annoying. I felt it fit for Kid Icarus Uprising, but for Smash, I liked his Brawl voice better.

- Fox's new voice is AWFUL.

- Why didn't they give Mario new voice clips? The ones from Brawl were awful in my opinion.

- He shouldn't have removed the Subspace Emissary, or at least, the awesome cutscenes, anyway.

- The Wily Castle stage sucks and should not have been on both versions.

- They should have gotten rid of FLUDD and added a move from Mario Galaxy for Mario's Down B.

- I consider this an actual problem rather than a nitpick, but whatever. Why do so many veterans have the same Final Smash? Okay we will give Mega Man the most epic final smash ever! What about Mario? The greatest video game character of all time? Oh, let's just keep that old, ****ty one.

Luigi's Nose
The fact that we expect a Pic of The DAY but instead we get a Pic of The "day" *cough
Timezones.

Last edited:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
  1. The lack of train levels in the Wii U version.
  2. Ore Club using Star Rod sounds in the E3 demo.
  3. Pink Dress Villager's eyes. They scare me.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The fact that Skull Kid just flips the stage when he has the power to drop the moon on people.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Sakurai smells weird, he needs to take a bath.

....only complaint....

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
No, no, this thread isn't to hate on the game. It's for mere criticism purposes. I don't want any character bashings of any sort.

With that out of the way, I'll explain this thread's purpose. You know those little things (or lack of things) in a game where it won't affect the overall experience, but will still bug you. Maybe it''s the way a certain object or character looks, or something of the sort. This is where you can vent out all those feelings. Oh yeah, and please no arguments, let's try to keep things orderly.

There was a thread earlier about disappointing things in this game, so if this thread is too similar, I'll let the mods take action.
Thanks for participating! :surprised::awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hmmm.... Well I'm not too fond of the whole Toon Link switcheroo at the Spirit Train stage as someone else mentioned, especially since these two looked different enough to be distinguished from each other anyway, not to mention that they weren't even the same people to begin with so I didn't really feel they really had to bother with the whole Alfonzo thing. (Then again, if Toon Link gets conductor Link as his alt like Marth was apparently supposed to get Lucina as his alt then I'd be more cool with this whole thing).

This is probably the only nitpicky thing I've got, it doesn't bother me too much but y'know, just nitpicky. :p

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I suppose it's more of a nitpick than a heavy annoyance but no "You're Too Slow!" from Sonic. Knowing Sakurai or Treehouse, I'm sure Palutena will get it instead, making me hate her forever.

Still no decision points. Where are my bonuses, dood?

Fox's voice is everything I hated about 90's nerd portrayals.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Here's something really nitpicky:

It bothers me that both of the girls have the same hairstyle, just a different colour.
I mean come on, you couldn't pick one other hairdo?

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I suppose it's more of a nitpick than a heavy annoyance but no "You're Too Slow!" from Sonic. Knowing Sakurai or Treehouse, I'm sure Palutena will get it instead, making me hate her forever.
Sonic wasn't gonna have "You're too slow!" 'cause voice acting. Still, I think "Aw, couldn't keep up?" would've been better than "Sonic speed!"

Let's dance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ym3QWL2bRM

English Marth confirmed for hilarious.
If I could like this post twice for your avi I would.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm really surprised everyone hates Luigi's personality in Smash. I totally love it.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
What does he do in Smash that's like Mario & Luigi?
His facial expressions just remind me of it most. And some little animations like his down tilt just make me think of that. He's awkward and silly, but not gloomy like some seem to think for whatever reason. (Maybe that one kick taunt?)

D

Deleted member

What does he do in Smash that's similar to Mario & Luigi, personality-wise?
In Smash, they translated his cowardly personality traits into how he moves and sounds, which are made very obvious in the Mario & Luigi games.

Let's dance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ym3QWL2bRM

English Marth confirmed for hilarious.
I remember when Marth in some game had that as a secret taunt...
That should've been one of his taunts in Brawl :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
His facial expressions just remind me of it most. And some little animations like his down tilt just make me think of that. He's awkward and silly, but not gloomy like some seem to think for whatever reason. (Maybe that one kick taunt?)
His 'official pose' found on the website and in his victory animation is a little bizarre though, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't seem to stem from any element of Luigi's personality, and is sort of gloomy, with that empty frown and whatnot.

His Brawl Final Smash definitely felt gloomy (and oddly, very psychedelic too). Thankfully that has now changed to something more fitting.

Top Bottom