• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nitpick Thread

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
His 'official pose' found on the website and in his victory animation is a little bizarre though, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't seem to stem from any element of Luigi's personality, and is sort of gloomy, with that empty frown and whatnot.

His Brawl Final Smash definitely felt gloomy (and oddly, very psychedelic too). Thankfully that has now changed to something more fitting.
I think the pose is bizarre, and awkward. That's why I think it's perfect.

But yeah, his Brawl FS was kinda not fitting. [even though it was awesome and could get you 3 KOs.

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
I find Luigi's personality great.
I think the overkilled personality is just a good representation of what smash and Nintendo are all about.

Uh, let's see.
I really hate that there 4 Fire Emblem characters and the possibility of "2" if you would even call it that Metroid characters.
I love Fire Emblem and I thought it deserved a new rep. But two? And Metroid just has two versions of Samus?
Of course Ridley will probably get in.
But for now it really bothers me.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
  • Mario's final smash
  • Rosalina & Luma's final smash
  • Link's final smash
  • Sheik's final smash
  • Toon Link's final smash
  • Toon Link's moveset in general
  • Fox's final smash
  • Giga Bowser
  • The frequent Yellow Devil attacks
  • The amount of Kid Icarus items compared to franchises like Star Fox, F-Zero or Yoshi.
  • Lucina not having at least a few different moves like Toon Link
  • Customizable Movesets in general. Too much for a Smash Bros. game and kind of pointless. Especially when they are making changes like "fast fireball" or "fire orb". And it looks like all of Mac's standard B variants either engulf them in flames or shock them.
  • Completely unnecessary to make such unneeded changes to the standard moves for the sake of having something different.
I take it you are going to turn final smashes off then?

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
The fact that title is "Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS" when it should be "Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U/3DS". It's more clever that way.
Conversely, if that was the actual title, that would have been my nitpick. -_-

I can see why it would be considered clever in a cultural vacuum where it exists without any other external forces, but the "numbers for words" idea has been adapted by so many annoying aspects of popular culture that it only serves to make me rage. When I see "Super Smash Bros 4 Wii U/3DS", all I can think of is this:

Or this:

or (shudder) this:

Last edited:

Egg-Off the Conquerer

Smash Apprentice
I find Luigi's personality great.
I think the overkilled personality is just a good representation of what smash and Nintendo are all about.

Uh, let's see.
I really hate that there 4 Fire Emblem characters and the possibility of "2" if you would even call it that Metroid characters.
I love Fire Emblem and I thought it deserved a new rep. But two? And Metroid just has two versions of Samus?
Of course Ridley will probably get in.
But for now it really bothers me.
Lucina is barely different from marth, less than any other clone by far so I would say they got 1 newcomer. It's not like she took much time or effort from the dev team

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Lucina is barely different from marth, less than any other clone by far so I would say they got 1 newcomer. It's not like she took much time or effort from the dev team
True.
But I think Dark Samus would've made just as fine of a character.
And she's more relevant being in all the Metroid Prime games which I think many could agree were all good.
Then again Lucina is more recent.
So I guess I wouldn't mind either way.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
Shiek's design in brawl looks slightly better.
Some characters that need new finial smashes aren't getting one.
That is about it.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
DK still has a terrible Final Smash, and Fox look weird. I can't be the only one who much prefers his Melee design.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Palutena's eyes look pretty dead to me, there's something off about them.

The white part of Yoshi's stomach is very uneven, especially at the arms.

Captain Falcon's official render, somehow it doesn't look as flat as the other renders, and it looks like he's doing his D-Smash while running.

Character renders with the same pose as their official artworks, like Palutena, Pac-Man and Lucina, it's just boring.

Male Robin and Female Robin both being on the website, but there's no Female Villager or Male Wii Fit Trainer. I know they were announced later, but still...

Jungle Japes returning, it's one of the worst stages ever in Smash and I can't comprehend why it keeps returning.

When you zoom in on fur it becomes this kind of harsh gradient instead of the fluff it looks like on distance.

Mario's hat in his winning pose has too many edges considering what console generation we're in.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Lol some of these are hilarious! You should rename this thread the "OCD Thread"

Only thing I could add is that there is still no confirmed Wii U release, I mean come on at least give us the month. Winter 2014 is like 3 months away.

Edit: Oh and Palutena's dead eyes of course. In the fake leaked images of her she looked more expressive... not quite sure why.

vs

Maybe it's because she looks bored with her dopey eyes, fake image has larger eyes.

Last edited:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Greninja's voice.

One side, I am glad he don't talk like Mewtwo and Lucario.
In other side, his cry in Pokemon X Y is quite unique and funny. I would have loved to see all his sounds in the game based on his original cry.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
The fact that some characters still have some leftover bullcrap FSs from Brawl.

Sonic's moveset has barely any representation of Sonic Battle.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
People still hating on Jigglypuff. 1999 called, they want their scapegoat back.

Sheik having the Light Arrow is a minor problem I have as well. They should have given her the harp.

Bowser's final smash. Personally I thought Giga Mac would of replaced Giga Bowser, with the turtle getting a final smash from his actual games. With that said, not that problematic. I can accept it.

The Yellow Devil. I thought a boss on a stage was a neat addition...but I also thought he'd show up once per fight (or at the very least every 5-7 minutes or so). The number of times he shows up is way too frequent. But we got FD versions for a reason!

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
You guys do realize that it's much easier to pull items that already exist (Zelda, Kid Icarus) than it is to make them up (F-Zero), right?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
People still hating on Jigglypuff. 1999 called, they want their scapegoat back.
I'm not a Jigglypuff hater, but this argument makes no sense to me. 1999 called, and they want the Pokémon they still care about back.

Another nitpick: Palutena being able to be faster than Sonic. I'm sorry. No. Sonic should have always been, and forever be, the fastest character in Smash Bros. Speed is his name. That's his entire gimmick. You can't take that title away from him.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Another nitpick: Palutena being able to be faster than Sonic. I'm sorry. No. Sonic should have always been, and forever be, the fastest character in Smash Bros. Speed is his name. That's his entire gimmick. You can't take that title away from him.
Actually Palutena is only faster by the use of ones of her B custom moves, her standard and running speed are quite slow actually.

josh bones

Smash Lord
It's a move, not running spped. :warioc:'s final smash could outspeed sonic too.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
The fact that September 13th to October 3rd will be the most painful part of my life. (Until the wiiu Japanese release, that is).
You should get Destiny, it's gonna make that time go by soooo quick :D

josh bones

Smash Lord
This I am aware of. Still think she shouldn't be able to go faster than Sonic. Wario's is more acceptable to me because it's a Final Smash, which is supposed to be overpowered and is temporary.
She only goes faster during a special, not natural speed, so sonic is still the second after :4falcon: fastest character

Veggi

Smash Champion
-Mario has FLUDD as a special move but Luigi doesn't have the Poltergust. When I was a young lad I thought it was so cool that Mario and Luigi both had really interesting inventions that further differentiated them. Considering that the Poltergust is more important to Luigi's character and has been featured in two Luigi games as well as spin off titles, you'd think Luigi would have it. Now it's his Final Smash, which is such a waste imo.

-Mario's FLUDD is also extremely easy to fix by making the stream last longer. It's a great idea for a move. Just make it better.

-Mario's cape is still in the game but he can't use it to glide.

-Mario can't use FLUDD's second function when every single one of them would help his recovery.

-Mario can't use the Luma Spin ability even though it's relevant and it would cover every single use of the Cape, but not be a move that Mario never uses.

-Why is Mario the King of Platformers, but has a horrible and boring recovery when plenty of recovery options exist in his games, even without power-ups?

-Rosalina not having the Luma Spin ability bothers me too. Especially considering it's her ability in 3D World and Rosalina is supposed to represent Mario Galaxy.

-Link can't aim his arrows.

-Link's shield exists for next to no reason. It would be nice if it could block more things in more situations than almost nothing in almost no situations.

-Toon Link is even less original than in Brawl despite having different moves he can use from his games.

-Give DK a moveset that makes him actually resemble Donkey Kong. Fair, Down Special, and the new dash attack are the only Donkey Kong things in DK's moveset. Including ftilt if I count part of an animation from DK 64.

-Why does Diddy only have one Peanut Popgun?

-There are totally obvious alternatives for some of Villager's moves. Like instead of having the made-up-by-Sakurai-stick he could have have twirled his umbrella like in the games. I'm also a bit salty that every object in the universe exists in Animal Crossing except for bowling balls and Sakurai managed to pick a bowling ball for Villager's forward smash.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Kirby's Neutral Special being his most iconic attack and one of his most useless attacks at the same time.

-Kirby without the Slide Attack as a Down Tilt.

-Palutena's face.

-Pikachu without Iron Tail.

-Wii Fit Trainer doing that stupid pose everywhere, in her artwork, in her attacks, in her symbol, in the Wii U box art...ugh.

-Lucario covered with that stupid blue smoke, his megaevolution looks like a blue cloud.

-Fox's voice...not Greninja's voice, that's awesome.

-Peach's hair looks very cool in her artwork, but not in the game.

-"Clone Artworks". Example: Bowser and Donkey Kong; Pikachu, Samus and Palutena; Toon Link, Sonic and Fox, etc.

-Pit screaming like an idiot.

-Brawl Victory Themes, some of them are really bad in my opinion, like the Victory Theme of the Metroid series and Zelda series and the Victory Theme of Yoshi sounds pretty boring, his 64 Victory Theme was much better.

-Megaman's symbol, I don't know, it doesn't look right.

-Halberd doesn't look HD.

-Little Mac's Victory Pose.

-Sheik's design, it looks pretty bad compared to the design of Hyrule Warriors.

-Pyrosphere looks cool, but I'm tired of Metroid Stages with Lava/Acid.

-In the Character Selection Screen, Olimar's name is just Olimar instead of Pikmin & Olimar, but Rosalina's name is Rosalina & Luma.

-Bowser's Godzilla voice.

-The final hit of Mario's Super Jump Punch needs to sound like the 1-UP sound of the Mario games.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not a Jigglypuff hater, but this argument makes no sense to me. 1999 called, and they want the Pokémon they still care about back.

Technically, more characters may be able to be made faster than Sonic through custom equipment. I'm sure it will be possible with Captain Falcon, at least.

But yeah Sonic should be the speed king. Though I'm not too bothered by the Palutena thing. I'm just glad other Palutena fans aren't going mad with it and actually insinuating that Sonic is now a slowpoke or something. It's become a tiny, not serious fandom joke at most and I'm glad it's not anything more.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Just voicing my agreement with a few of the recently posted gripes.

-Mario has FLUDD as a special move but Luigi doesn't have the Poltergust. When I was a young lad I thought it was so cool that Mario and Luigi both had really interesting inventions that further differentiated them. Considering that the Poltergust is more important to Luigi's character and has been featured in two Luigi games as well as spin off titles, you'd think Luigi would have it. Now it's his Final Smash, which is such a waste imo.
I agree. If Mario is going to have the FLUDD as his down special, Luigi needs to have the Poltergust too. It made no sense why they didn't do that in Brawl.

-Mario's cape is still in the game but he can't use it to glide.
I agree. Most seem to disagree, but I don't like that the cape is used as a reflector in Smash. It makes no sense considering that in the Mario games it is, and always has been, a recovery.
I think it should be scrapped entirely though. Side special should have always been Shell Kick.

-Rosalina not having the Luma Spin ability bothers me too. Especially considering it's her ability in 3D World and Rosalina is supposed to represent Mario Galaxy.
I agree, it's a crime really. It should be her neutral aerial.

-Give DK a moveset that makes him actually resemble Donkey Kong. Fair, Down Special, and the new dash attack are the only Donkey Kong things in DK's moveset. Including ftilt if I count part of an animation from DK 64.
I've always felt this way. It never really felt like DK, moveset wise. I feel like the fix would be including a barrel throw (side special?) and his coconut shooter somewhere in the moveset.

-Why does Diddy only have one Peanut Popgun?
Yes. Diddy needs another popgun, stat.

-Kirby without the Slide Attack as a Down Tilt.
Yes! I've been wanting this move since Melee.

-Pikachu without Iron Tail.
Definitely. Iron Tail is one of Pikachu's most iconic moves; it needs it somewhere. Maybe as its forward smash.

-Megaman's symbol, I don't know, it doesn't look right.
I agree. The gear just doesn't seem that iconic for the Mega Man series.

-Bowser's Godzilla voice.
I can't stress this one enough. The generic roars need to go. Get Kenny James in there ASAP.

-The final hit of Mario's Super Jump Punch needs to sound like the 1-UP sound of the Mario games.
This isn't so much as a nitpick for me, but it's a very neat idea for sure.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
son·ic
ˈsänik/
adjective
1. relating to or using sound waves

Palutena is the Goddess of Light.
Speed of Light is faster than the speed of Sound.
:awesome:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
son·ic
ˈsänik/
adjective
1. relating to or using sound waves

Palutena is the Goddess of Light.
Speed of Light is faster than the speed of Sound.
:awesome:
How can a god possibly adhere to science? Why, that would be a case of Palutena blaspheming against herself!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Fair enough. Besides its only for an optional special move. No harm done really.
I thought it wasn't confirmed whether Lightweight was an optional or standard special yet?

And yes there is a lot of harm done I don't care if it's "only a special attack" she's still moving faster than Sanic goddamit

EDIT: Ah so it isn't a default. Well that's good. Now I don't feel as much need to complain. I still hold the opinion that she shouldn't be able to run faster than Sonic without the use of items though. That's just messed up.

EDIT 2: Wait wait wait. Super Speed and Lightweight aren't assigned to the same special? Well, Palutena capable of moving faster than Wario Man on a nitrocycle confirmed.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
How can a god possibly adhere to science? Why, that would be a case of Palutena blaspheming against herself!
Oh okay if that's how we're playing the game then how is it even a question that a god can run faster than a fast hedgehog?

I thought it wasn't confirmed whether Lightweight was an optional or standard special yet?

And yes there is a lot of harm done I don't care if it's "only a special attack" she's still moving faster than Sanic goddamit
I'm just assuming since it was one of the last moves shown in the trailer. I figure the default ones would be shown first. And it's barely an attack anyways so it'd be pretty lame to have it default for online matches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom