• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo World Smash Trailer

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette

zerodownhm

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Snake's rocket launcher looks like a slightly slower version of Samus's D-Tilt.
OH NOEZ TEHN TAHT MIINS SAMOOS EES RIPLASED!!!

Just making fun of all these kids saying characters will be replaced just cause one of the confirmed characters has something that resembles a past character...

burrito

Smash Lord
That ship that Fox is standing on in his level is definitely not the Great Fox from Command. The one in Command looks a lot different. It must be some random new ship.

FlipTroopa said:
--It seems the castle/Fire Emblem stage has fireballs that come crashing all over the place. Cool.
Yeah, those are catapaults. The level is meant to be in a state of war. You can clearly see them in the first trailer.

FlipTroopa said:
-The Mario Kart stage doesn't follow the track like Mute City, but it looks like the platforms do move around.
Why do you say that? The platforms seem to stay in the same area to me.

odinm4gick

Smash Apprentice
That ship that Fox is standing on in his level is definitely not the Great Fox from Command. The one in Command looks a lot different. It must be some random new ship.

Yeah, those are catapaults. The level is meant to be in a state of war. You can clearly see them in the first trailer.

Why do you say that? The platforms seem to stay in the same area to me.
Because it would be a poor level constuction to have the stage be only at the starting line of mario circuit when you could easily incorperate the mute city effects.

Okay, a few things I noticed...

-The Star Fox level is on the Great Fox as it appears in Star Fox Command (they had to get a new one because of the ending to Assault...). So it's still a stage on the Great Fox, simply a different one. It also looks like it enters Corneria's orbit at one point or another...

-The Yoshi's Island stage is ripped from Mario World 2, which rocks. There's a slime-ghost (forget their names) with a platform on its head over to the right, and it looks like the stage will change seasons midbattle, simply adding graphical effects and nothing else much.

-The Mario Kart stage doesn't follow the track like Mute City, but it looks like the platforms do move around.

-Kid Icarus stage looks HUGE, but the fighting area looks soooo small. Definitely a cool looking level regardless...

-Link's sword still glows when he slashes. Nice effect.

-We see a lot of Pit's A attacks, but still no specials. For shame. I need confirmation that his Smash B is the Mallet :p Oh, and it looks like Pit is going to be a lot like Marth (which is both cool and disappointing), and he's going to use the bow like a staff and as two blades equally. So, he's not a swordfighter *per se*, but more like a close-range blade/staff fighter? Definitely not something I picture Pit being, but eh... He's likely a fastfaller. Definitely looks it.

-Snake is exactly as I envisioned him. That RPG is his Forward B, not a Smash. There's a weird lag there that doesn't seem natural for a smash. It makes more sense for it to be a Forward B that he can angle, and the player was simply finishing the combo by blasting the special downwards. Regardless, he plays a lot like Ganondorf meets 64 Samus, and I like it. Seems like a slow, heavy, and powerful character. Works.

-Mario got a bit of Doc's power it seems. Awesome. And his Tornado's back to its 64 version. Funky.

-Kirby got some of his range and power back. Nice.

-Pikachu seemed to be a lot more powerful, but slower. Did anybody pick up on that?

-Link is virtually the same. Seems more fluid in his attacks, but that's it.

-Zamus is basically Sheik. Weird low-G jump. She was basically Samus without armor and a stun gun in Zero Mission, so I'm wondering if she's just as floaty as Samus is, and that was just her front flip... The weird gun changeroo is likely just a taunt or a standing animation.

-Fox has his gun out at all times, AND stands on one foot while waiting? Woah... Definitely looks a lot more kickass now, IMO. And I'm wondering how different he'll play simply based on the redesign. More pistol whipping? Stronger kicks? Slightly heavier? Slower? Hmm...

-Wario's jerkiness bugged me at first, but now it works. I really wanted Wario Land style Wario, but you know what... It makes sense, considering Wario Ware. I like it. I just wonder what his Specials will be like.

-Meta Knight can friggin GLIDE! :D That's so awesome. Definitely looks to be the most developed and versatile/useful character of the batch, easily.

-Standing Animations I noticed: Pit taps his sandals to get the dirt off; Zamus screws with her gun (?); Wario crosses his arms and/or scratches himself; Snake rubs his chin. While crouching, Meta Knight has a cool standing animation where he peers back and forth, akin to some of the official art he's in.

-Crawling seems like a new technique. Likely you press down and lightly in a direction to do it. Some characters, or all, can roll into the crawl as well, likely by holding down after a roll. Shields were not present, and MK and Pit had very very fast dodges. Likely they dodge like Mewtwo, and Shields have yet to be implemented, but weird looking nonetheless...

My one big question, to all of you: How the hell far along IS this game? They definitely did not leave much to tell us it was moving along, IMO. It looks only slightly further than when they left us in June. I'm... kinda disappointed. Not at the trailer, it rocked. But at their progress. I don't care all they had to show was Fox, or a few stages. But just the characters that we knew about already, and what they showed us, was so weak. At this same stage in development, they showed us ALL the starting characters in Melee, and each easily had 20-30 seconds to their name, where we got a decent look at some of their specials as well as their styles. All we really saw this time were a few A attacks and some movement. Kinda lame, honestly... I would've at least wanted to see one special per fighter.

Oh, and Pikachu STILL isn't far along in development, just like the last trailer. Wonder if Sakurai just stopped caring.
Knowng these things:

1.Nintendo always does this with their games.They give you only alittle information to start up the hype.

2.Just like the Wii,we had no clue that Nintendo was just gonna spring out all of this information on us about the control.And on top of that show case a huge selection of games in as little as a year.

3.We really don't know how farin development they really are,considering that they really suprised everyone this year with the first trailer.Who knows,the developmentmay be more in depth than one might think.

Nintendo is full of suprises,we just have to wait and see,

rrcyyung1

Smash Apprentice
You can only catch a glimpse of it but yeah it didn't seem very different.
I hope there's some other stage where you can fight on the Great Fox. I liked that level.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I didn't see the Great Fox until I watched it later, so you guys are all right; no need to harp :p

But if you've seen the new Great Fox in Command, you could see why I got confused. It's really really weird looking...

burrito

Smash Lord
Because it would be a poor level constuction to have the stage be only at the starting line of mario circuit when you could easily incorperate the mute city effects.
Actually, it obviously doesn't follow the track like Mute City. It looks like it going to be more like Onett. The level actually seems to be set at a part of the track where one track passes over another track and that is what makes the platforms. So, the platforms don't move.

GAMERCUS

Smash Cadet
They did have a rough start, but they got used to it, and they certainly didn't have Metaknight and the 4 others right off the bat. I remember Melee's dev time being started in something like September, October or December, some time around the Dolphin project was announced, or the first images of the Gamecube were released to the public. Brawl isn't on the January-April 2007 list.

I started with some elaborate story instead of an actual argument. When "The Studio" came, Brawl went back on track. Ridley wasn't a freudian slip, I was just guessing the other 2 that people most wanted.

There isn't any target number for them to acheive, they can exceed fifty, provided that they're able. I know that Smash isn't just about the characters; I want some new modes, like create a stage, a better stamina mode, and playing a stage at a different angle.
Yeah, that Stamina mode is really lame and need to be adjusted (weak and LAME characters have really HIGH HP and the up tier character have LOW HP)

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
The Star Fox level is on the Great Fox as it appears in Star Fox Command (they had to get a new one because of the ending to Assault...). So it's still a stage on the Great Fox, simply a different one. It also looks like it enters Corneria's orbit at one point or another...
I just wanted to inform that you are wrong. For starters, I think your slight hint about Assault is a little too spoilery. Next, it isn't the Great Fox from Command for two reasons:
1. You can see the Great Fox in the background
2. I just realized while typing this it would be a spoiler

Also, the ship does start to enter the atmosphere of the planet, but I don't think it is Corneria. Don't hold me to it, but it looks more like Earth, and if not Earth, Fichina (Or is it Fortuna? I always get the two confused thanks to Star Fox 64).

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
OH NOEZ TEHN TAHT MIINS SAMOOS EES RIPLASED!!!

Just making fun of all these kids saying characters will be replaced just cause one of the confirmed characters has something that resembles a past character...
I believe that snake rocket launcher will be a foward + B attack. But what makes his missiles different than samus is that you can angle you shot like how you can angle your throw of your boomerang like link

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Yeah, rocket launcher could also be down smash, like Mewtwo. If they wanted to show off the rocket launcher, they wouldn't have had him aim it at the ground. They'd have rather have Snake shoot it at a distance instead, you know?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
I'm going to say the launcher is either snakes down-smash or down-b. If it's his down-b and he shot it in the air, it would have a shot trajectory very similar to doing a falcon kick in the air. a super fast straight diaganol movement. That would be interesting.

They should know that mewtwo's down-smash wasn't amazing, and i think they would've learned to not do something like that again. i doubt it's a smash.

burrito

Smash Lord
The next Nintendo World id coming this Friday. Hopefully, they show off another returning character. I really hope that they do, that would be awesome.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I always wondered how samus fit that ponytail into her helmet, but the trailier explains it, she's a video game character.

zerodownhm

Smash Apprentice
At 2:11 look at ZSSamus, at first I was wondering why she stops in mid air while falling, then I saw that she is doing a pretty fast attack towrds the ground, did anyone notice this? if so, ignore this...

And on the fox's shine part, correct me if im wrong but, he doesn't hit anyone with what looks like a shine, link is hitting some character and sending him far and fox is below them he does the shine but is quickly hit by a character from below which sends him flying to the left...

cb_marth

Smash Ace
Yeah...
anyways how slow is everything in brawl going to be? the characters certainly seemed a bit sluggish in their movements in the trailer.
Thats true. I noticed that to, they seem to be much slower then they are in Melee. I think they really focused on weight this time. I hope they didn't over-kill it though.

Stico

Smash Rookie
is it possible that they are gonna show a different trailer at each of the events? or maybe just a different ending confirming a different character.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think that everone's main gripe is with the speed adjustment. I trust the It won't be to bad.
The slower it is, the more accessible it is to the public.

The more accessible it is to the public, the more the little things count.

The more the little things count, the more frusterating the game becomes.

The more frustrating the game becomes, the more people hate it.

Also, the slower the game is, the more likelihood of people having infinite and/or unavoidable combos that they can pull off all of the time.

Ever watch Isai play smash 64? That'd be a heart breaker.

Sheek

Smash Apprentice
Awesome trailer. Man I am so late to see this kind of stuff. Anyone care to tell me swhen the WII comes out too?

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Has it ever occured to anyone that maybe they're trying to show off only the new things or things drastically changed from the last game? I mean yeah, they did show Battlefield and Pokemon Stadium, but even they're not the same stages they used to be.

They probably don't want to show the 'new' Yoshi or DK because they haven't changed much over the years and it'd be anticlimactic. Even showing that Marth or Falcon was returning wouldn't stir much excitement because their makeovers would be negligable.

But everyone wanted know what Fox was going to look like. It was actually a miniature debate on the forums for a while. And as it turns out, it seems like a compromise between the hardcore, serious-looking Fox of Melee and the cartoony Fox from Command.

That said, I really hope they are hiding a lot of their progress because it's been half a year now and they've only shown five new stages and three new movesets. Now the progress is definitely laudable, and I was thrilled to see it, but at this rate, with a holiday 2007 launch, they'll only have made nine new movesets, which is the same as the jump from Smash to Melee.

P.S. I knew Wario was going to be the new Game and Watch.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
The Wii comes out in 10 days (Nov. 19th) in North America.
In Japan, it comes out Dec. 2nd.
And in Europe it comes out Dec. 8th or 9th depending on your country.

And Brawl comes out sometime between April 1st and Dec. 31st of next year.

Well, Mario hasn't changed much since SM64, he's just gotten higher res. I still can't see how people think they used his SMG design for SSBB since, well, they look rather different.

DK's SSB form kinda irks me...I mean, he doesn't punch in any of his games (up until Jungle Beat). He's always fought with slaps and pounds and his gun. But then again I guess they're trying to stray even further from his Rare iteration. :/

And Yoshi...they should make his moves more YI based. That would mix things up some...

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Lets get ready for SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Then,GUESS.WHAT.ONLY ANOTHER YEAR FOR BRAWL!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

FireBomb

Smash Lord
A whole year...? Like, how it's been nearly a whole year since Twilight Princess was supposed to come out? Ugh, that's way too long...

JPW

Smash Ace
The Wii comes out in 10 days (Nov. 19th) in North America.
In Japan, it comes out Dec. 2nd.
And in Europe it comes out Dec. 8th or 9th depending on your country.

And Brawl comes out sometime between April 1st and Dec. 31st of next year.

Well, Mario hasn't changed much since SM64, he's just gotten higher res. I still can't see how people think they used his SMG design for SSBB since, well, they look rather different.

DK's SSB form kinda irks me...I mean, he doesn't punch in any of his games (up until Jungle Beat). He's always fought with slaps and pounds and his gun. But then again I guess they're trying to stray even further from his Rare iteration. :/

And Yoshi...they should make his moves more YI based. That would mix things up some...
And December 7th for Australia

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
is it me i think zs samus attack doesn't look "new" at all. From watching the 2nd trailer, her medium forward attack is exactly like fox, her smash down attack (assuming its a down attack) is exactly like Sheik, her running forward attack is exactly like fox, and that last move she pull off in the air just like Capt. Falcon Down + B attack with the flashy fire.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Actually, I'd say Zamus's vertical breackdance is more likely to be an Up-Smash. Downsmashes are supposed to attack low. The only moves that actually seem like direct rips are her Dashing A, and F-tilt. That supposed "Falcon kick" might have been a Down-A fast-fall, since the animation has the delay of a meteor smash. And besides the Falcon kick always angles.

And hey, when you think of the limits put on the game designers, of having moves that are both intuitive and original, it does get harder when there are already twenty other movesets. So some similarities are bound to occur and it's nothing to complain about.

Top Bottom