• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo World Smash Trailer

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I realized I said 40 new characters. I meant to say 40 characters in all. My bad.

Also, I noticed that to, SuperNintendoid. Though, I didn't look into it much. I noticed when Pit was near Snake he got knocked away and was engulfed in purple flames, and my friend and I are always cracking jokes about Ganondorf and his purple flames, so I mentioned it to him, but never looked into what it was.

EDIT: Gamerucs, let me start off by saying Sakurai himself estimated that number. Let me say secondly that you can't formulate a pattern from two items. Therefore, that logic doesn't work.

burrito

Smash Lord
Sakurai never said anything about any amount of characters in Brawl. He just said that they will do their best to bring us as many characters as possible. He said that he was considering making Snake unlockable and he did say that not all characters wil be returning, but I still think that SBBB will start with more than 14 characters. I think it will start with 18-20 characters, myself. Especially, since Marth will probably be unlocked at the start since he's got his own levels now.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
No, moron. He estimated 40 characters, give or take. And then in my personal opinion, I think there will be less starting characters. Twelve, perphaps?

Also, upon recollection, they reached the number of characters in Melee by perserviance. They didn't say at the beginning of the project, "Okay guys, we're shooting for 26. Let's go." They just happened to reach that number before they ran out of time to make more characters.

burrito

Smash Lord
No, moron. He estimated 40 characters, give or take. And then in my personal opinion, I think there will be less starting characters. Twelve, perphaps?
How about a link, then? If he did then it's news to me.

The only thing I've seen him mention about numbers of characters is this line from SamuraiPanda's thread:

""Sorry. I'm not very smart but I can't tell a lie so I'm just going to write it.
As for the previous game's characters, some of them will disappear. Definitely.

For the last game, we struggled to assemble 26 characters. We tried really hard and unintentionally reached that number.

But, although you'll see characters from the last game, this time, on a significant scale [Yes, this is exact], they will be remade. It is this sort of thing [This sentence is slang, so there really isn't a good English translation for it].

For argument's sake, no matter how much staff there is, with just manpower we can’t just put in everything, and as my own job [read: workload] does not decrease, there is a limit.

But, the consumer’s desired things to be included [There really isn’t a good English equivalent for that word] are weeeeell understood. You will be [he doesn’t give a subject to the sentence, so I’m using ‘you’] happy regarding the adapted characters moving around on different stages as well [The email he is responding to complained about how there are only 3 stages from SSB that are stages in SSBM, so I guess this infers that there wont be a whole lot of previous stages].

So, we will once again struggle to create characters. I cannot promise you anything other than that.”

icymatt

Smash Lord
The only time I've ever heard a character estimate was in the bullcrap Bowser Jr./Ridley/WW Link story. And, you know, it's bullcrap.

SnareRush

Big Loada
to follow this, is it just me, or did Snake was falling slower than normal on the 1:57/1:58 ?
Ye, I can't tell what's going on with Snake there, as the platform breaks.
Looking at it again though, I think the 'grenade' object might be part of the stage. I you look at the start of the 1:57 section carefully, the object actually falls from above Snake, not from his hand or anything, and in the shot before that (with MK, Wario, Mario and Pikachu fighting) if you look on the right in the background, you can see a projectile with a black trail (it's basically just a black line lol). It seems a bit strange to have explosive stuff falling from the sky on that style of stage so I'm not too sure about this. We'll have to wait and see.

I still think Snake will have some sort of grenade/C4 attack though.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Alright, seeings how I don't remember where I read it and don't care to search for a link and you don't want to believe it, I'll just drop it and pretend that I never said. However, using the information given we can probably get a rough estimate of characters ourselves. Let's see here. There were... 14 new characters added to Melee, correct? Alright, let's pop 14 onto the 26 character bracket for Brawl. There, we already have fourty. For the sake of arguement, let's say two characters are removed that were in Melee. Now we have 38. We know that Brawl is ahead of schedule in development, so let's say that we can pop on another... four characters with that. Now we have 42 characters. Well, Sakurai's developing team was rushed when formulated and is still relatively small as oppose to the entire company and group that was working on the first two (Hal). So without the same manpower, it'll take longer to devlop things. Let's say this negates the ahead of schedule aspect. Now we are back to 38. You see where I'm going with this? We know roughly what range of new characters will be added, so there is no reason to make that big a deal about it. Plus, who knows, they might decide to forego some new characters in favor of stages and modes.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Sakurai has never given an estimation on how many characters there would be. You're talking about the fake radio show. The one where they said that YLink/ICs/G&W would be replaced by WW Link/Ridley/BowserJr.

The only thing Sakurai has said is that they "unintentionally" got 26 characters in SSBM and something about not being able to include a large number of new characters like they did last time.

burrito

Smash Lord
Right, I think that 40 is probably a good estimate for the characters. I think they actually have pretty good manpower for this game, they created a whole new studio just for it ( HAL was working on other games at the time) and they also enlisted help of "the studio". Also, because pf the delay, I think they will have more time to work on it. I don't think we will be seeing any clones in this one, though, which were easily made in SSBM and beefed up the roster. So, it balances itself out.

Sakurai never said anything about 40 characters, but it will probably be about the number.

Edit:
Ye, I guess that makes sense ^^. D'you think they would work in a similar way to Link's bombs then (assuming he does have grenades).
I think it will probably actually be more like Yoshi's eggs.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Yeah... maybe he didn't say that and I thought about it or saw someone else say it and tricked myself into thinking Sakurai said it. Sorry.

I still think, however, 40 is a good rough number. Also, I know they made that whole new studio and all for it, but their team is very small, or, at least it was. I'm sure it is a lot larger now.

Ryuuseiken Marth

Smash Apprentice
Alright, seeings how I don't remember where I read it and don't care to search for a link and you don't want to believe it, I'll just drop it and pretend that I never said. However, using the information given we can probably get a rough estimate of characters ourselves. Let's see here. There were... 14 new characters added to Melee, correct? Alright, let's pop 14 onto the 26 character bracket for Brawl. There, we already have fourty. For the sake of arguement, let's say two characters are removed that were in Melee. Now we have 38. We know that Brawl is ahead of schedule in development, so let's say that we can pop on another... four characters with that. Now we have 42 characters. Well, Sakurai's developing team was rushed when formulated and is still relatively small as oppose to the entire company and group that was working on the first two (Hal). So without the same manpower, it'll take longer to devlop things. Let's say this negates the ahead of schedule aspect. Now we are back to 38. You see where I'm going with this? We know roughly what range of new characters will be added, so there is no reason to make that big a deal about it. Plus, who knows, they might decide to forego some new characters in favor of stages and modes.
Except that they aren't as rushed as Melee, and are free to add as much as they can. The development time looks longer than Melee's; which Melee's was at most, 1 or 2 months plus a year. The development time right now seems alot longer than Melee's. There is no "If it's not a Wii launch title, it will be within the next 6 months" like Mario Galaxy, it's beyond April, and the only statements are "In 2007".

They however, did need some time to organize at the start, Sakurai making a design document during the construction of the new Nintendo Office built just for Brawl, and a small development team, but even then they were eager to create, and more friends and employees went to join the development of Brawl. So within 2-3 months, they were somewhat well-organized, with people joining Sora. They went right to what people wanted most, Metaknight, Pit, Wario, Krystal, and Ridley; and added some more new things, like Zero Suit Samus as experimentation with Super-form, and remembered Hideo Kojima at E3, to surprise people.

Right now, I'm more inclined to say that 33-39 characters are currently in the game already, and Dr Mario is removed, because of game physics. Time is Brawlstuff, and I'm expecting over 45 characters, maybe more, like a bit over 60(64 characters LOL) as wishful thinking if you can call me insane.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Except that they aren't as rushed as Melee, and are free to add as much as they can. The development time looks longer than Melee's; which Melee's was at most, 1 or 2 months plus a year. The development time right now seems alot longer than Melee's. There is no "If it's not a Wii launch title, it will be within the next 6 months" like Mario Galaxy, it's beyond April, and the only statements are "In 2007".
I never said that they or the project was rushed. I stated quite the contrary. I just said that the formation of Sora was rushed which could lead to disorganization, and, to be honest, I don't know how long Melee's development time was. I also believe it was stated Spring or Summer, something like that. Don't hold me to that, though.

They however, did need some time to organize at the start, Sakurai making a design document during the construction of the new Nintendo Office built just for Brawl, and a small development team, but even then they were eager to create, and more friends and employees went to join the development of Brawl. So within 2-3 months, they were somewhat well-organized, with people joining Sora. They went right to what people wanted most, Metaknight, Pit, Wario, Krystal, and Ridley; and added some more new things, like Zero Suit Samus as experimentation with Super-form, and remembered Hideo Kojima at E3, to surprise people.
They may have been eager to create, but that doesn't really constitute to anything other than effort and enthusasium. Not to mention that whatever small amount of development time boosted by this eagerness was negated by the disorganization of the company at first. They started with, what, eight or so people? I can't remember exactly. I'm guessing that Ridley was a Frodian Slip.

Right now, I'm more inclined to say that 33-39 characters are currently in the game already, and Dr Mario is removed, because of game physics. Time is Brawlstuff, and I'm expecting over 45 characters, maybe more, like a bit over 60(64 characters LOL) as wishful thinking if you can call me insane.
At a glance, your suggested amount of characters already seems rather ridiculous, but if what you say about Melee's development time is true, then they could easily obtain that number. I still think the final bracket will be no more than 50 at best, though. In case you haven't noticed, Smash isn't just about the characters. Stages, modes, music and everything makes Smash. Those departments need just as much love.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
Back to noticing things about the trailer: Definite confirmation of short hops...when wario does both of his air moves to pikachu and then mario, he jumps at 2 different heights. Pubic, I know. Kirby short hops in his bit at the beginning. Pit does the same thing as what I said wario did a bit later on pokemon stadium. So short hops are in. Dont bash me if it's common knowledge. I also noticed that Link is crouching when using his bow (1:32), and it's waaay bigger. So that's sweet. At the frame 1:57.07 wario is facing away from the camera and is upside down....but the next frame he gets hit by a car, so idk what he was doing. By the way, that "Indoors Twilight Princess level" that everyone thought was a Zelda level from the first trailer is actually Pit's level with all the architecture, If you look in the background. Sorry if this was mentioned too, but Grenade from Snake in 1:57.20. This is definitely a grenade, and quite possibly his down b. He throws it down, meaning he gets to carry it around like Peach's turnips first. Pit is then engulfed in red flames. In 2:09.33 Wario is getting hit directly above Snake, and there are the same flames as Pit had when getting hit by the grenade. Hot? yea. Metaknights up smash at 2:12.93. Oh, I noticed that the "earth in the background" level that Zamus was on at the beginning of the trailer is Fox's stage at the end. Fox keeps his dash attack. That is all. I wrote this while watching the trailer. I should probably put this in the "Trailer Breakdown" thread.

burrito

Smash Lord
You are insane. Get ready to be disappointed.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think we will get a much better idea by the end of the year, possibly the Nintendo World tour-thing. It's fairly unreasonable to see any new characters this year, I'd imagine.

However, if we see 2-3 more 'existing' characters, a la Fox, then it will show how far they've come. It would be awesome if we saw that same trailer twice more, but instead of Fox we got someone else (Yoshi, DK, I'm looking at you!)

Oh yeah, and 60+ characters? If you have Mario, Dr Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario, Mini-Mario, FLUDD Mario, etc. That many different characters would be almost impossible to get right, both in terms of testing and balancing.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
About Snake: I feel it worth mentioning that he probably will have grenades ala Yoshi from the trailer. Since they don't want bullet guns in a game like Smash, they already suggested they will have heavy reliance on explosives.

About characters: Who cares?

I mean, honestly. Don't we care more "Who" instead of "How many"? These ideas of logic really don't work (Considering you could draw all the conclusions you want from two games in a series). Watch.

They have ten fighters completely confirmed, and therefore you can assume that they will be playable from the start. Then, we add in the other eight. That's eighteen characters confirmed. Then compare it to the number of unlockables in Melee (with no removals), ten. That's twenty eight characters base. Then we'll add in the characters that are good assumptions - Five, just to be safe - and we're looking at thirty three characters.

Except, of course, that this relies on heavy amounts of assumptions, therefore means jack ****.

See? It's a silly arguement, and it's baseless. We have ten confirmed characters. Let's just anticipate and hope for our favorite picks for Brawl. Why bother counting chickens?

Black/Light

Smash Master
I never said that they or the project was rushed. I stated quite the contrary. I just said that the formation of Sora was rushed which could lead to disorganization, and, to be honest, I don't know how long Melee's development time was. I also believe it was stated Spring or Summer, something like that. Don't hold me to that, though.
Well, Sakurai did say that melee was rushed and thats why the characters arnt all unique. Im guessing that he spent a year and a few months (2-3 maybe, IDK) on melee but now he started working on brawl in 05 (he officially said he was going to work on it at E3 05 and started planing it (at the least) in Oct 05 so he has already spent over a year working with this game. But Im not sure on how long Melee took).

And in his Oct 6th 06 statement he said that "everything is going as planed" and that this is his only production right now (only game he is working on) and it is getting his full attention. . .also that Nintendo is paying him ALOT of money to do this. So no, everything is going as planed (so it must be organized) and he has been working on this game for over a year.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
this trailer shows a game that looks like ... melee 2 to me. I hope the game get upgrades till is completly diferent from melee.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
-_- Look at ssb64 and melee they are diferent. I dont want to play the same game with improved graphics and 2 or 3 new moves. This is only a trailer and is still on developement, so i hope it gets more changes >_<
btw do u reply only to say those kind of things ? -.-U

Nazi Ninja

Smash Rookie
-_- Look at ssb64 and melee they are diferent. I dont want to play the same game with improved graphics and 2 or 3 new moves. This is only a trailer and is still on developement, so i hope it gets more changes >_<
btw do u reply only to say those kind of things ? -.-U
ya... why would you want so many changes? ive been playing ssb again, and the moves are not that changed from ssb to ssbm. i think your crazy, even if it was the same moves with like 2 or 3 new moves like you said, why wouldn't you want to play it? it would be ssbm (greatest game ever made) with many new characters, better graphics, and it would be online. and you wouldn't play it just cause its not changed enough? im gonna be all over pretty much no matter wat... ONLINE PLAY!!!!:chuckle:

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
nah , dont get me wrong , ill play it for sure, but when i read other ppl post , its like they want just an extended melee X_x

vjgyo

Smash Journeyman
When I read other people posting, it sounds like they know exactly what Brawl will be like and argue over arbitrary things such as how many characters the game will start with and who is going to be unlocked. *sigh*

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to throw ideas out, but when people say "GTFO UR STUPID" for other's ideas, it's kind of lame. :(

cF=)

Smash Lord
Why don't they present Samus at the end in the "confirmed" characters list?
Is Nintendo forgetting about a fighter that has been part of Smash bros. since day one?

All we saw about Samus was her giant blast turning her amor into ashes. Is she still confirmed to return back in this new game?

psyt

Smash Journeyman
well.. i thought she was but after that trailor im not so sure.... could zamus just straight up replace samus? i no that goes agaisnt what is said at smashbros.com in her bio but... it is still under developement so idk ;x... im pretty sure they'll put her in tho, i mean cmon they have to >.>, shes in corruption, not zamus (or is she o.0?)

anyway man that one guy who was expected 60-64 characters XD, lol, no way. ssb to melee mayve a jump of 10 characters, i think..., anyway that was like what, abt 66% of the ssb squad? id expect somthing similair to that, AT THE MOST, that would leave us with 40'ish?

40;ish i consider the absolute, even ridiculous, most, i think the real mark will go between 32 and 25 personally ;x

burrito

Smash Lord
Yeah, Samus is confirmed don't worry. It was weird that they didn't show her in the video, maybe they haven't finished making her. Her outfit is awesome, I like the Metroid Prime look.

six

Smash Ace
the returning characters' attacks look the same as they did in melee, but maybe with some different properties and stuff

metaknight may not be that fast on all of his attacks, could've just been his a-a-rapid a and his forward aerials. i doubt DIing out of combos in a trailer would be wise, so i wouldn't rule that "gone" either.

ZSS = sheik incarnate? oh no :(

i'm guessing falcon's gone and snake is his replacement

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
i'm guessing falcon's gone and snake is his replacement
I dunno...Snake looks more like a Ganondorf replacement then a Falcon replacement to me. If you watch the part of the video where he's comboing Link, his attacks look a little slow and hard-hitting. His dropkick (the opening attack. Looks like it's a fair) acualy reminded me of ganon's fair with the way it hit. His next two attacks where slow, but powerful, with long wind downs. I'm not sure about anyone else, but that, to me, was very Ganon-like.

Samus w/suit better be in it. I noticed the lack of her little picture at that end of the new video. I was like :O

psyt

Smash Journeyman
very possible... then what of gannondorf? new moveset im hoping ;D

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Ether that or... *acts out throat getting chopped off*

I hope not, but then again, wasn't Ganondorf one of the "last-minute" clone additions to Melee? I would think characters like that are the first to go.

...then again...maybe a luigified moveset...involving Dorfs gigantic sword he only uses in his voctory poses after battle...hmmmm ^_^. Dorf looks like he'd be easy to give a unique moveset, since he has that sword available to him. Who knows? Only time will tell

psyt

Smash Journeyman
yea i no, is theory ganondorf is "first to go" but i mean comon... hes gannon dorf >.>, i feel he'll return, but im earger to see if thers some sort of new twilight princess version of ganon, and if so, they should add him

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Snake isn't going to replace either of them... Ganon might be axed, but Snake won't replace him.

C. Falcon is one of the original 12, AND he's the only (and the main) FZero character... why would he be axed?

psyt

Smash Journeyman
well.. if they were to axe one of the mains, which i doubt, i think falcon be the top of the list ;x

Top Bottom