• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo World Smash Trailer

Overswarm

is laughing at you
They also didn't show grabs, supers, any entrances of any kind.....

It's still early on, and I seriously doubt they'd remove shields. And think about it, what would you rather see in a trailer? Seeing people get hit around, or seeing someone shield?
It isn't that the grab wasn't a big part of it, it's that it wasn't there at all that bothers me. You saw the shield in the old melee videos at least momentarily when rolling, so it's got me nervous. I'm just hoping it isn't like "L to roll left" and "R to roll right".

And snake is really slow. Like, Ganondorf slow. o_O

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Added samurai panda's notes to the thread created for discussing the trailer.... :dizzy:

--
Notes done via HD GT version of the trailer (Notes on stages done after the initial notes).

General notes:

1. Air combat is MUCH better in Brawl. There is less recovery when landing, more seamless air to ground combos, and more air combos/juggling.

2. Sounds are much more heavy and painful.

3. Stages have multiple forms (night/day) and are much more detailed

4. Potential new ability: Crouchwalking

5. Potential new quickroll.

0:14 = Kirby’s up smash can KO easier

0:20-24 = Mario can combo easier in the air. Remember Sakurai saying that they were going to make air combat more viable and revamp character moves to reflect this? Looks like we’re seeing the tip of the iceberg with Mario’s down B.

0:29 = Pikachu crouchwalking? Could be a crouchwalk, or it could be a new animation for Pikachu's slow walk (Check out other instances of Pikachu walking)

0:33 = Check out the lack of recovery on Kirby’s forward A in the air now. More viable air combat?

0:35 = Pikachu crouchwalks to Kirby. Is this a crouchwalk, or could this be a new animation for Pikachu’s slow walk?

Wario’s part in general: As everyone has noticed, he has G&W-style frames. Strong indication we wont see G&W again.

0:58 = Metaknight’s extremely fast dodge of Kirby’s attack. There are three potential things this could be. a) Wavedash b) Upgraded roll (but notice you don’t see a shield) c) A new type of quickroll

1:02 = Metaknight has a forward glide with his sword held in front of him. Most likely his up B.

1:13 = Pit also uses this new quickroll thing to avoid what seems to be Wario’s forward smash attack.

Pit’s part in general: Check out the air combos. Notice the better air combat?

1:16 = Zamus’ jump makes her seem a bit light on her feet.

1:22 = Zamus has Sheik-like attacks. Is Zamus a Sheik replacement?

1:24 = Low gravity. Is this the stage or Zamus’ jump/potential up B?

1:33 = Link’s bow seems much faster now.

1:33 = Obviously, Snake’s air axe-kick is a good combo starter (better air combat again)

1:36 = Snake can roll into a crouching position.

1:37 = Snake is moving in crouch position followed by Wario who seems to also be “crouchwalking.” But these characters are new, so these could potential be their abilities (depending on if Pikachu’s new animation is a crouchwalk or just a new slow walk).

1:41 = Bazooka to face FTW.

1:45 = Pikachu’s forward smash seems larger/longer.

1:45 = Pit is showing off his 3 (or more?) jumps.

1:46 = Link’s up B is less smooth, now it looks more like a tornado instead of a disc.

1:46 = Mario’s forward smash looks like a bomb exploding. Awesome.

1:52 = A glimpse at Metaknight’s down A in the air?

1:54 = New castle stage

1:54 = Wario’s dash attack

1:56 = What is Wario doing? Seems a bit long for a smash attack…

1:58 = New Kid Icarus stage with breakable floors seems to do a little damage when you break a floor with someone on it (Pikachu hitting Snake)

2:01 = Link’s sword is glowing! Does this mean he can charge moves now? Or does it have something to do with TP?

2:03 = Again with Pikachu’s new animation. Crouchwalk or new slow walk?

2:09 = Zamus’ dash attack

2:11 = Zamus can do some sort of fast fall thing. Her down B?

2:11 = Wario’s landing. Is he sliding? Is he just landing? Is he wavedashing?

2:11 = Metaknight’s dash attack

2:12 = Metaknight’s up smash or regular up A?

2:27-2:28 = A lot of debate over what happens here. Many people think Fox is using his shine, I honestly can’t tell what is happening, but if he truly is shining, then it means the shine isn’t a spike anymore.

2:29 = As far as I can tell, Fox is doing his forward smash or dash attack.

Fox in general: Seems to have his pistol out at all times. Less pistol lag now?

Stages (I’m only marking when a new stage is first seen, and when some quirk about a stage can be seen):

0:12 = Previously seen battlefield-like stage

0:16 = Same battlefield-like stage shown in night that was shown in day.

0:19 = Mario is running on a new Mario Kart stage

0:25 = Yoshi’s story like stage

0:28 = Mario Kart stage has F-Zero like cars

0:34 = First glimpse of the Kid Icarus breakable platform stage

0:37 = The previously seen castle stage (outside)

0:38 = Previously seen Metaknight stage

0:40 = First glimpse of the new Pokemon Stadium stage

1:09 = First glimpse of a different (?) castle stage from the inside

1:23 = Stage with Earth in the background. Is this the new fox stage from the end of the trailer, or is it Zamus’ stage?

1:27 = What looks to be an indoors Metal Gear stage

1:30 = Background of Snake looks to be an outdoors Metal Gear stage.

1:48 = Yoshi’s story stage is changing seasons

1:57 = Breakable platforms on the Kid Icarus stage

2:20 = Fox’s new stage

2:26 = This could be a new camera mode, or something done just for the trailer, or just a very annoying quirk of Fox’s new stage.

2:29 = Fox’s stage enters Earth’s orbit
--

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
they did. look again near the end
It's near imposible to see what's going on at the end.
Personally it looks like Fox's old downthrow with the lasers, but like I said, it's almost imposible to see anything.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
Google Video added.

I'll upload it to filefront too, just incase. ;P

And i'm bored.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
At 2:10 it does look like Wario got hit with a mine. And since Sanke is there and they haven't shown any other items, it seems like Snake has his claymores.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think i saw a grab, if you look at the beginning of fox's part, tehre are a whole bunch of lasers shooting out, and fox is the only one with lasers in that fight, could his down throw be made much stronger (that's what it looked like, i'll check it again)

nevermind, it looked like one though, it looked like pit's dair (it looked exactly like marth's)

that snow level is definitely not snakes, it's too cartoonish, yea way too cartoonish...who had a snow game

pit's fair, holy freaking crap....how many hits is that move

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
they did. look again near the end
I've re-evaulated the "Shine" that Fox performs and have come to the conclusion that it is not a Shine.

If you look closely, Fox jumps up and hits Pit. The strike looks shiney enough, but it is in fact a U-air. The animation of it afterwards is exactly the same as it is in Melee.

What's interesting though is how he lands afterwards and seems to slide off the left side of the platform. (don't be confused with the apparent length of the platform. That's the perspective of the left-side platform, you can see where Fox was more clearly after the camera rotates to the front again).

GAMERCUS

Smash Cadet
Added samurai panda's notes to the thread created for discussing the trailer.... :dizzy:

--
Notes done via HD GT version of the trailer (Notes on stages done after the initial notes).

General notes:

1. Air combat is MUCH better in Brawl. There is less recovery when landing, more seamless air to ground combos, and more air combos/juggling.

2. Sounds are much more heavy and painful.

3. Stages have multiple forms (night/day) and are much more detailed

4. Potential new ability: Crouchwalking

5. Potential new quickroll.

0:14 = Kirby’s up smash can KO easier

0:20-24 = Mario can combo easier in the air. Remember Sakurai saying that they were going to make air combat more viable and revamp character moves to reflect this? Looks like we’re seeing the tip of the iceberg with Mario’s down B.

0:29 = Pikachu crouchwalking? Could be a crouchwalk, or it could be a new animation for Pikachu's slow walk (Check out other instances of Pikachu walking)

0:33 = Check out the lack of recovery on Kirby’s forward A in the air now. More viable air combat?

0:35 = Pikachu crouchwalks to Kirby. Is this a crouchwalk, or could this be a new animation for Pikachu’s slow walk?

Wario’s part in general: As everyone has noticed, he has G&W-style frames. Strong indication we wont see G&W again.

0:58 = Metaknight’s extremely fast dodge of Kirby’s attack. There are three potential things this could be. a) Wavedash b) Upgraded roll (but notice you don’t see a shield) c) A new type of quickroll

1:02 = Metaknight has a forward glide with his sword held in front of him. Most likely his up B.

1:13 = Pit also uses this new quickroll thing to avoid what seems to be Wario’s forward smash attack.

Pit’s part in general: Check out the air combos. Notice the better air combat?

1:16 = Zamus’ jump makes her seem a bit light on her feet.

1:22 = Zamus has Sheik-like attacks. Is Zamus a Sheik replacement?

1:24 = Low gravity. Is this the stage or Zamus’ jump/potential up B?

1:33 = Link’s bow seems much faster now.

1:33 = Obviously, Snake’s air axe-kick is a good combo starter (better air combat again)

1:36 = Snake can roll into a crouching position.

1:37 = Snake is moving in crouch position followed by Wario who seems to also be “crouchwalking.” But these characters are new, so these could potential be their abilities (depending on if Pikachu’s new animation is a crouchwalk or just a new slow walk).

1:41 = Bazooka to face FTW.

1:45 = Pikachu’s forward smash seems larger/longer.

1:45 = Pit is showing off his 3 (or more?) jumps.

1:46 = Link’s up B is less smooth, now it looks more like a tornado instead of a disc.

1:46 = Mario’s forward smash looks like a bomb exploding. Awesome.

1:52 = A glimpse at Metaknight’s down A in the air?

1:54 = New castle stage

1:54 = Wario’s dash attack

1:56 = What is Wario doing? Seems a bit long for a smash attack…

1:58 = New Kid Icarus stage with breakable floors seems to do a little damage when you break a floor with someone on it (Pikachu hitting Snake)

2:01 = Link’s sword is glowing! Does this mean he can charge moves now? Or does it have something to do with TP?

2:03 = Again with Pikachu’s new animation. Crouchwalk or new slow walk?

2:09 = Zamus’ dash attack

2:11 = Zamus can do some sort of fast fall thing. Her down B?

2:11 = Wario’s landing. Is he sliding? Is he just landing? Is he wavedashing?

2:11 = Metaknight’s dash attack

2:12 = Metaknight’s up smash or regular up A?

2:27-2:28 = A lot of debate over what happens here. Many people think Fox is using his shine, I honestly can’t tell what is happening, but if he truly is shining, then it means the shine isn’t a spike anymore.

2:29 = As far as I can tell, Fox is doing his forward smash or dash attack.

Fox in general: Seems to have his pistol out at all times. Less pistol lag now?

Stages (I’m only marking when a new stage is first seen, and when some quirk about a stage can be seen):

0:12 = Previously seen battlefield-like stage

0:16 = Same battlefield-like stage shown in night that was shown in day.

0:19 = Mario is running on a new Mario Kart stage

0:25 = Yoshi’s story like stage

0:28 = Mario Kart stage has F-Zero like cars

0:34 = First glimpse of the Kid Icarus breakable platform stage

0:37 = The previously seen castle stage (outside)

0:38 = Previously seen Metaknight stage

0:40 = First glimpse of the new Pokemon Stadium stage

1:09 = First glimpse of a different (?) castle stage from the inside

1:23 = Stage with Earth in the background. Is this the new fox stage from the end of the trailer, or is it Zamus’ stage?

1:27 = What looks to be an indoors Metal Gear stage

1:30 = Background of Snake looks to be an outdoors Metal Gear stage.

1:48 = Yoshi’s story stage is changing seasons

1:57 = Breakable platforms on the Kid Icarus stage

2:20 = Fox’s new stage

2:26 = This could be a new camera mode, or something done just for the trailer, or just a very annoying quirk of Fox’s new stage.

2:29 = Fox’s stage enters Earth’s orbit
--
It also appears Wario doing a short hop (00:50) and Kirby is also doing one (00:34)! Do you think nintendo is going to spill the beans and tell everyone about these advance moves, while making new one and keeping it hidden?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Short hop is not really anything new. Short hopping been around since Super Mario Bros 1.

piZ

Smash Journeyman
It also appears Wario doing a short hop (00:50) and Kirby is also doing one (00:34)! Do you think nintendo is going to spill the beans and tell everyone about these advance moves, while making new one and keeping it hidden?
Did you really have to quote the WHOLE post? :p

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Nice pic.

But why do people say that Zamus is a Sheik clone? I mean, we have seen 2 moves that resemble Sheik and 1 that resembles C. Falcon. There are a lot of things still uncovered so she may probally have different moves than you might think right now.

Link226

Smash Ace
My Notes :

1. The Zamus kick that everyones talkin about is exactly like Fox's dash attack in SSBM. U can see her running animation and then her kick comes out....its just like fox's but hers throw u to the side. O and what do ya think is the stage that zamus is in at 1:18? To me it looks a lil like FD...

2. Speaking of Fox....he looks even cooler than b4...his gun seems to be always out. Which im guessing means less lag? And im not sure if fox shined mario at the end....but if he did.....BROKENNNNNNN

3. Metaknight has never looked more broken. He can sorta glide.

4. Pit can run extremely fast. He also has some sort of float animation after each jump.

5. Wario's great lol. Hes a lil wierd tho....his movements are alot like G N W....which makes me believe hes not in it anymore.

6. Snake!!! 1 of my fav characters ever looks.....a lil dull. Hes extremely slow looking....but looks like he can combo like a mutha****er. :) O and the other guys right....snake throws something on 2:10. Its not part of the stage cuz its not there until u see snakes throwing animation....

7. My main Link...once again....is very slow running...and his up-B is a lil more horizontal. He still has his up-smash.

8. It seems like theres alot of L-canceling and wavedashing

9. Destroyable stages!!!

10. This game is gonna kickass!

11. Now that i look at it fox didnt even touch mario...it looks like his shined pit....and pit just flew to the side....i guess its not a spike but he throws them to the side

GAMERCUS

Smash Cadet
Nice pic.

But why do people say that Zamus is a Sheik clone? I mean, we have seen 2 moves that resemble Sheik and 1 that resembles C. Falcon. There are a lot of things still uncovered so she may probally have different moves than you might think right now.
Speaking of that, did it looked like Snake was doing the knee like C. falcon with the thunder!

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Speaking of that, did it looked like Snake was doing the knee like C. falcon with the thunder!
I thought the same thing at first. But on closer research, it's totally different. It's more of a downward kick than a knee. It also has less knockback since Snake was able to combo after that kick. Falcon players usually finish a combo with the knee.

Lange

Smash Journeyman
Wow this has impressed me, the stages in this game are actually destructable and move, move more deedply than the Captain Falcon level on Melee lol. Very impressive i'm wondering how this will fan out in the actual game.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I heart Nintendo 4 life :)

One of the first things I noticed out of Zamus' playstyle was how she switched her weapon around 01:18. Zamus seems to have great tilts, but found odd that she was the only one in the trailer not showing air combat. Btw, where was normal Samus?

Mario looks even more detailed then the original trailer. Not much to say about him, except the aerial change.

Pika's an interesting one. We obviously see how he crawled. Unless this is his new run, meaning he has been nerfed like Kirby was? Or a slow run...But he seems to have some sort of stronger attack around 1:44. Still awaiting his super...

Link. Seems slower then in Melee, but looks to have a bit more range with his sword. Great detail like Mario, but also doesn't have much more info then then plumber it seems.

Wario seems to be a mix of Bowser and G&W. As Overswarm said, Wario seems to be a replica of G&W. But we know Bowser will return, he's a staple. Around :48, Wario does some weird thing with his hands. Utilt? Taunt? No answer to see. Wario crawls backwards also at 1:38-1:39, showing us that crawling is indeed a mode of movement.

Kirby has obviously regained his power from 64 to an extent. We see some of his seemingly simple shorthops throughout the trailer. Great Usmash and aerial attacks. Final Cutter seems to have more lag, but maybe that's just me.

Pit will be at least high-tier. That is all

Snake is super-awesome in the trailer. We finally get to see his action in fights, and to me he seems to own. He looks able to string together combos easily, especially noting the axe kick. Obvious roll-crouch-crawl animation. Dash attack perhaps? All these crawls lead me to think that it could be another form of attack like SmashB was in Melee, which brings up even more questions imo. And the bazooka? Proves that Sakuri's comments about gun reduction for Snake may be disproved. But I still wanna see trip mines and such :)

I'll be honest; I hate Fox's new look. His features seem crooked/not matching. We see some sort of unknown animation around the end. I think it is...
A) Shine with some character going up.
B) One of Fox's (new?) grabs involving his laser pistol.
C) Link slashing up with his sword.

Finally, stages. Mario Circuit is an obvious remake of Mute City. Also, from the way Kirby is dashing, the new Yoshi's Island could be bigger then it looks. Pokemon Stadium returns with open arms. Also, like in the last trailer, they fight in and out of the castle, which is now obvious not to be Bowser's Castle like some people thought. Obvious changes in Day/Night and Seasons. The outside of a military base seems to be Snake's arena.

One final note before I stop typing. On Fox's level AND Metaknight's level, we see both Metaknight's ship and Corneria in the distance. Yet nobody fights on them. Does this mean these levels are eliminated (not playable)? What aobut Metaknight's fight in the first trailer? Very odd.

GAMERCUS

Smash Cadet
Indeed, I just hope they show off the real power of the Wii and show the character clothes getting wet and the ground show lite skid marks!

shogun

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, for the people saying "nice sounds" and such, they sound similiar to the Japanese version of ssb64, so more than likely will the U.S version have different sounds, anything can happen however. Other than that, nice trailer, shows more actual gameplay, looks mostly like upgraded melee to me.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
My Notes :

...and the other guys right....snake throws something on 2:10. Its not part of the stage cuz its not there until u see snakes throwing animation....

...Now that i look at it fox didnt even touch mario...it looks like his shined pit....and pit just flew to the side....i guess its not a spike but he throws them to the side
At approximately 1:57, Snake hits Pit with an explosive and sets him on fire.

That's not a Shine. It's a U-air (see my previous post).

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Wow, this game is a COMPLETE n00bfest. Super-fast rolls? Button-mashing multi-hit attacks? Mario actually combo'ing into down-b?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

. . .but seriously though, the game actually does look interesting. It may just be me, but it seems knockback has been significantly increased on lots of moves. Mario might actually have a KO move with a non-sweetspotted f-air. Metaknight and Pit seem a bit overpowered, what with their super-multihit attacks that have zero knockback. No evidence of throws or shields, which is a bit weird.

And any ideas on what a crouching crawl is supposed to do? It seems like a completely useless tactic to me.

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
That trailer kicked ***. Too bad it will most likely be several months before Nintendo mentions brawl again

Yota

Smash Apprentice
The destruction of the Kid Icarus stage (1:50 IGN) didn't appear to have any effect to the gameplay. The characters were just walking on the clouds afterward.

If rolls are as fast as Pit's and Metaknight's, then rolling players will be at much less of a disadvantage against wavedashing players. ...heck, wavedashers may be at the disadvantage!

And considering the speed of these dodges, I think I could live without the shield. =p

And where was the stinking bumper?! Ugh. Guess they still don't want to reveal any items other than the possible super-attack item.

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I guess I really am the only one worried about how this game is going to become "Don't get hit 2". Everyone, watch when people use drill moves, I.E. Kirby's dair or fair and mario's little downB combo. Doesn't that look almost identical to combos done in N64 version? I'm thinking by "moderating" the speed, they mean reverting to the N64 style. I'm afraid you won't be able to DI. Everything just seems so much slower and SSB64-like.

Let's hope they didn't nerf DI. haha if so, Isai is going to be unstoppable.

*edit* the master sword got like 2 feet longer or something. Look at the range on link's usmash.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
When Pit dodges Warios punch, not only does he go behind Wario, but if you look closely, he comes out of the 2D plane. To me it seems like they created something on the lines of a "dodge dash", combining dodging and wavedashing into a simpler move.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Anyone else kind of weary of how when you attack someone, there seems to be lag, as opposed to in Melee, where it was a bit more fast-paced, since when you got hit you were stunned for like a quarter of a second, but that's it?

Top Bottom